Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I think Greataxes gets slept on, specifically Omen great cleavers and the butchering knife.

Omen great cleavers have innate 55 bleed and can go quality for B/B str/dex

Butchering knife can either go Keen for E/A str/dex scaling or blood for D/B/D str/dex/arcane and 100 bleed and that helpful passive to heal 1% health per hit if you find some good multi-hit ashes like prelate's charge.

Quality is really really bad so that's not a bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

redreader posted:

I'm about level 92 and just visited a worm-guy at the bottom of everything, and past a lake of rot. I assume he's an endgame kind of boss? I stepped through the door and summoned immediately, during which time he blasted me for almost half my health. I ran up and got about 3 hits in which took about 1/12th of his health off then he teleported away and clowned on me again from afar. I feel like maybe I'm too low a level for this bullshit.

Similarly, I tried to beat the dragon near Ranni, and it was pretty easy but it engaged camouflage at half health and that was that.

I also have access to sol castle which I haven't entered, and the fire giant, and mohg fight, and the volcano manor: Done all the quests there I think, but not investigated their dungeon much.

I suppose I could also go to the hidden city mark 2, the one before the lake of rot, because I kept on taking lifts down and went past it I think.

Anyone got a handy 'which one(s) to do first' suggestion for me please?

volcano manor and the city before lake of rot will probably be the easiest, followed by mohg. have you done the sewers? or the random catacombs in the snow places? you can definitely do the big galaxy worm at level 92 but what your build is will really be the biggest factor in how hard a given boss is. the early parts of haligtree do give you lots of souls and will help you level.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

buffalo all day posted:

There's also a dude you can spar with in the ~roundtable hold~ area who won't kill you and who will repeatedly spam the attack move to give you practice

????!!!! I don't know where this is, and I thought I'd explored most of the roundtable hold (haven't defeated the phantom yet though)

edit: I have not done the sewers or the catacomb in the snow area! IDK where they are!

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

redreader posted:

????!!!! I don't know where this is, and I thought I'd explored most of the roundtable hold (haven't defeated the phantom yet though)

Hes talking about the Roundtable Hold equivalent in sekiro

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Thirty attempts. I cannot beat radan on this character. Beat him second try with my other one. I have summoned help, used all the npcs, it's awful. I'm so defeated.

Got him!! Eat poisoned arrows you rotting bitch!

sephiRoth IRA fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 30, 2022

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I went dual St Trina's swords up until around 75 and can they are "alright"

Sleeps really good on anything giant, every large enemy just really wants to take a nap from a hit or two, against tough human sized enemies you need to back off when you see it go off so you don't break it while they are still in a animation, against smaller enemies you'd kill them before they go to sleep and in PvP the same applied when I invaded, almost never got the sleep off before the dual swords killed.

The weapon art was pretty awful, it enchants the blades with more sleep powder but I think they programmed it similar to the sleep status because it goes away the first time you take damage.

Would say just craft up a bunch of sleep bolts on the pulley crossbow like people are suggesting.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The two ogres in cliff bottom cave are harder than rennala for me lol. I am sorry about spelling I have no idea .

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Thirty attempts. I cannot beat radan on this character. Beat him second try with my other one. I have summoned help, used all the npcs, it's awful. I'm so defeated.

Got him!! Eat poisoned arrows you rotting bitch!
after like 100 cases of this I wonder if it's actually sincerely more likely to beat something after complaining about it online

like you've vented and so now you're less tilted or whatever

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

redreader posted:

edit: I have not done the sewers or the catacomb in the snow area! IDK where they are!

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

Hes talking about the Roundtable Hold equivalent in sekiro

yeah sorry GoY is right, i was talking about sekiro. they really should have put one in ER though, it was really helpful and he was a chill dude

Regulus74
Jul 26, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

So, I've got two Swords of St. Trina and one of the torches.

Has anyone made a build that centers around sleep? It seems like these are the only weapons that have that status.

I'm specifically going frost/sleep on my first character but I don't think I'm far enough into the game to say anything definitively. In pve even just with one St. Trina's you get free crits everywhere but it's mostly been something I pull out in attempt to massively cheese something (frost is very strong on its own and easier to rely on early/mid game ime). You can also get cookbooks to make sleep pots and arrows to help keep the buildup going.

I haven't done a lot of pvp yet but I have seen a few invaders d/c once the sleep buildup gets too high. It seems like a lot of Moonveil, Rivers of Blood, and the frenzy spear builds don't have an answer for it yet/aren't looking to practice for it against random hosts.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

IronicDongz posted:

after like 100 cases of this I wonder if it's actually sincerely more likely to beat something after complaining about it online

You're probably on to something. Posting about it gave me a chance to pause and think about the next approach instead of just requeuing. New ways to cheese!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Disciple Haug, chained next to Hewg to the wall, cursed by Marika to be the eternal punching bag of the Tarnished until one becomes Lord. You can test weapon damage on them but they cry out in pain and beg for mercy the whole time, seems like what we'd be most likely to get

Or if from a mod, Skelly. Hey boy-o!

boloney
May 29, 2021

buffalo all day posted:

yeah sorry GoY is right, i was talking about sekiro. they really should have put one in ER though, it was really helpful and he was a chill dude

He was and it was always so bittersweet to grant him a final honorable death

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

IronicDongz posted:

Well at the very least you've put the controller down, stepped away and are taking a break.

I haven't finished too many bosses yet- the only Great Runes I've got are Godrick's and Rennala's- but I'm getting articles in my feed that talk about how hard the bosses are in this game. If I platinumed Sekiro and Bloodborne and finished all bosses in Dark Souls 3 except for the last one of the DLC, where could I expect this game to fall out in terms of the end bosses, harder, comparable, or easier than those other games?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Eej posted:

As someone who tried to make quality, and specifically quality greataxe, work for most of the game since that's what the greataxe weapon scaling seems to want a lot of the time, it really, really is.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Listerine posted:

Well at the very least you've put the controller down, stepped away and are taking a break.

I haven't finished too many bosses yet- the only Great Runes I've got are Godrick's and Rennala's- but I'm getting articles in my feed that talk about how hard the bosses are in this game. If I platinumed Sekiro and Bloodborne and finished all bosses in Dark Souls 3 except for the last one of the DLC, where could I expect this game to fall out in terms of the end bosses, harder, comparable, or easier than those other games?

if you dont mind using the tools the game gives you it will be easier (other than maybe the optional super boss), if you insist on doing no ash no summons 1v1 final destination it will probably be harder

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

buffalo all day posted:

if you dont mind using the tools the game gives you it will be easier (other than maybe the optional super boss), if you insist on doing no ash no summons 1v1 final destination it will probably be harder

I'm too old to do any of those insane reflex challenges.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

marshmallow creep posted:

As someone who tried to make quality, and specifically quality greataxe, work for most of the game since that's what the greataxe weapon scaling seems to want a lot of the time, it really, really is.

AFAIK it takes like 60 in Str and Dex to match a Heavy or Keen weapon with one stat to 80 which makes Quality really stinky unless you're way overleveled. Even worse for Str weapons that are two handed because of the 1.5x Str modifier. Quality has the lowest base damage of any physical affinity and the letter scaling is a % of that base damage so you need A Lot of stats to get there.

eg

Str 80: Heavy Greataxe: 749 AR
Dex 80: Keen Greataxe: 754 AR
Str 60/Dex 60: Quality Greataxe: 751 AR

So on a Wretch you're basically spending 30 levels to do the same damage as someone who just invested in one stat. It's only good if you're going into NG+ and you're hitting softcaps in multiple stats.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

does it say anywhere in the game what the slander shabriri got his eyes gouged out for was? allegedly the frenzied flame first appeared in his empty sockets. I'm wondering if the 'slander' was him saying something truthful about the two fingers and their intentions or something.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

juggalo baby coffin posted:

does it say anywhere in the game what the slander shabriri got his eyes gouged out for was? allegedly the frenzied flame first appeared in his empty sockets. I'm wondering if the 'slander' was him saying something truthful about the two fingers and their intentions or something.

Eye gouging for slander is also a weird punishment, usually you'd expect something like the taunter's tongue to be tied to that.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

There's a fortune to be made on Etsy for making Ranni dolls

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

juggalo baby coffin posted:

I like to think he was just a Diogenes style public rear end in a top hat and Marika was less tolerent ruler than Alexander the Great

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Eej posted:

:hmmwrong:

Quality and samurai are a match made in heaven. Greatbow at range and two handing nagakiba opens up to enchanting.

Greatbow is so good in PVP, oh your trying to LOS me? gently caress off *rains arrows through two walls and a ceiling*

Also landing that shot to blast people off cliffs never gets old, high haligtree

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 30, 2022

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it’s not a matter of opinion. the weapon affinity “quality” requires a much higher investment in stats to deliver the same results of any other affinity.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

kazil posted:

There's a fortune to be made on Etsy for making Ranni dolls

jars optional

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Listerine posted:

I'd say its a different kind of difficulty. In BB and Sekiro you're given tools to fight the bosses 1v1 and the hardest bosses in those games test you in terms of that format. BB made dodging easier and Sekiro made parrying and countering easier. You win by being good at those things. In ER the last few bosses really do feel designed around the fact that you can summon something to help you in the fight without the boss health increasing and that you can stack buffs to counter the bosses strengths.

So in general I'd say BB and Sekiro are harder because the only way to win is to be better than the bosses. In ER you can just cheese your way to victory. If you don't do that, it's pretty heavily stacked against you.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 30, 2022

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

make the jar alexander, double the profit lol

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I think quality is good if you like switching between str scaling and dex scaling weapons without respeccing (I swap between double colossal and double katana featuring hand of malenia, which is minimum 42 str and 48 dex). I'm not sure it's an optimal build outside of extenuating circumstances like that.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 30, 2022

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

No Wave posted:

I think quality is good if you like switching between str scaling and dex scaling weapons without respeccing (I swap between double colossal and double katana featuring hand of malenia, which is minimum 42 str and 48 dex). I'm not sure it's an optimal build outside of extenuating circumstances like that.

this would be a good experiment starting point actually, you should set your colossal weapons to heavy and your katanas to keen and report back if they’ve gained or lost attack rating

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

kazil posted:

make the jar alexander, double the profit lol

lmao oh no

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

alexander, scraping up the cum of mighty warriors after the battle with radahn to become stronger

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Okay Malenia restoring HP on hit is BULLSHIT. She already has rapid anime slashes, and that bigass combo is literally unavoidable.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
I just wanna fast roll in radan armor and deal massive damage with his swords. Extremely disappointing can't powerstance them

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If you two hand Radahn's swords they are like fist weapons you get another one in your offhand and get a new moveset while also being able to block with L1.

Unless you mean you're NG+ing and trying to equip two of them in which case... why

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Horah Loux was a pretty good fight but idk maybe don't open the second phase with an immediate tracking grab rush and then a second lethal attack chain immediately after that. Takes a while to burn through the first phase again just to have another chance to maybe try to learn how to evade that opening assault.

At least give me a chance to chug before going Maximum Wrestlemania idk

This final boss rush is some poo poo I tell you what.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Eej posted:

If you two hand Radahn's swords they are like fist weapons you get another one in your offhand and get a new moveset while also being able to block with L1.

Unless you mean you're NG+ing and trying to equip two of them in which case... why
what a silly question

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Eej posted:

I know, but I wanted to do some crazy jump overhead slam stuff. I've been testing the movement and while it slaps I don't have that cool two hand slam. Haven't messed with the weapon art though...

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Coolness Averted posted:

Yeah the worst part is that they muddle their interpretations, regurgitated theories from youtube AND the actual text, so it's hard to sift through and find if someone is actually talking about something you might missed, or just talking out of their rear end.

It's not like here is any different.

The game is so averse to providing exposition that any given explanation of "what the hell is going on" is going to involve making multiple more-or-less reasonable assumptions, each of which has about a 60% chance of actually being correct.

By the time you've made ten assumptions or so, you're almost certainly completely off-track somewhere.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Cowcaster posted:

this would be a good experiment starting point actually, you should set your colossal weapons to heavy and your katanas to keen and report back if they’ve gained or lost attack rating

I'm not going to juggle levels to test this because I don't give a poo poo but keen +25 at 30str/50dex does 518 two handed and quality does 532. Likely going all dex does an insignificantly higher amount of damage (since its only ~12 levels) but then I miss out on my 1400+ headshots from the greatbow on haligtree dudes.

And again great bows are excellent in pvp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of greatbows... Me figuring out how to bust up the chariot under the tutorial building. I'd heard in the thread you could get rid of it, but I didn't have any idea how. Was unreasonably proud of myself for figuring out this complex logic puzzle all by myself :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfCmlFAwyd4