Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Henchman of Santa posted:

Have you guys considered that Idiocracy...is basically a documentary?

It's an inverse documentary in that it represents a certain mindset that was extant at the time and is also relevant today, alas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
idiocracy is an alright satire that people got too invested in as being prescient, and then too invested in knocking the kinds of people in their minds who thought it was prescient, and so on

its a movie in which the basic joke format is pushing everything to an absurd extreme, and trying to map this onto politics or the future or whatever is silly. its basically the same material as beavis and butthead, except in the future it's nothing but people like beavis and butthead

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Brawnfire posted:

I feel like you could have done the same movie with "mindless consumerism increasingly becomes people's only option in a capitalist society" sort of take rather than "man idiots pop out a lot of kids, here's how they'll gently caress up the world" and it wouldn't be as gross, maybe.

Wall-E falls into this, as well, which is a shame because the concept and set-up are great, and then the rest of the movie is fat jokes.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

idiocracy is an alright satire... trying to map this onto politics or the future or whatever is silly

:raise:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Wall-E falls into this, as well, which is a shame because the concept and set-up are great, and then the rest of the movie is fat jokes.

Rocko's Modern Life and Invader Zim pretty much jumped on the capitalist satire train and never let go, which is why they aged so well (mostly)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
There's a science fiction short story I read years before Idiocracy, "The Marching Morons", that starts from the same eugenicist premise, only that there's also a tiny cadre of incredibly overworked smart people who secretly run the world. And the guy from the past is a real estate con man who creates a plan to launch all the dolts of humanity into the sun by making them think they're winning free trips to Venus. At the end the remaining smart people launch past guy into the sun as well, because they're happy to use a Hitler but they have no wish to hang out with him.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

BioEnchanted posted:

Rocko's Modern Life and Invader Zim pretty much jumped on the capitalist satire train and never let go, which is why they aged so well (mostly)

Rocko especially (to be fair, I haven’t revisited Zim recently). It’s awkwardly horny in a lot of places, but is also wildly inclusive of all types. As an adopted kid, I always liked the way Heifer’s family was handled. Yeah, this is our weird kid who doesn’t look like us, it’s fine.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

idiocracy is an alright satire that people got too invested in as being prescient, and then too invested in knocking the kinds of people in their minds who thought it was prescient, and so on

its a movie in which the basic joke format is pushing everything to an absurd extreme, and trying to map this onto politics or the future or whatever is silly. its basically the same material as beavis and butthead, except in the future it's nothing but people like beavis and butthead

I mean, also the message the movie sends and what actually happens are incongruent. They fix the problem because the leader at the top is willing to listen to other people and treat their ideas with due diligence. The movie wants you to think smartest people = best leaders and solutions.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mooseontheloose posted:

I mean, also the message the movie sends and what actually happens are incongruent. They fix the problem because the leader at the top is willing to listen to other people and treat their ideas with due diligence. The movie wants you to think smartest people = best leaders and solutions.

Yeah, people were saying "oh, Trump is like President Camacho" but no, Camacho, if nothing else, gives a poo poo about other people. He wants things to be better. And as you said, he listens.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

President Camacho puts together a successful task force to find potential problem solvers to help get them out of a crisis, while talking everyone down from quick fix solutions. Not Sure actually just got lucky, since the movie explicitly states that he didn't know why Brondo was killing the crops. It just didn't seem right to him because it's not what they used where he came from. Camacho is an excellent president and the true hero.

Nice Van My Man has a new favorite as of 18:14 on Mar 30, 2022

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Fears about the degeneration of the race (culture, nation, etc) and the decline of society into weakness and decadence are as old as reactionary politics, which Mike Judge unfortunately carries with him, no matter what else he’s got alongside them.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Have you guys considered that Idiocracy...is basically a documentary?

If you want a real documentary, you should check out Soylent Green.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

I AM GRANDO posted:

Fears about the degeneration of the race (culture, nation, etc) and the decline of society into weakness and decadence are as old as reactionary politics, which Mike Judge unfortunately carries with him, no matter what else he’s got alongside them.

also the idea that it's 'stupid people' to blame is just a really childish view in general. Like 'oh man these dummies just don't GET IT' is how someone who genuinely can't imagine that you can be actively malicious and feign stupidity would react to the world. I think I said this in another thread this came up in but the whole 'we watered our crops with energy drinks' things is kindasorta painfully close to reality, but it's not some dumb rube going 'aw gee mr energy drink man you said your drink quenches thirst and these plants sure are thirsty!!!' but it's just someone with the ivy league bonafides Judge likely considers markers of a 'smart person' getting a poo poo load of money and going 'well why do you hate ~innovation~' when people point out that it's probably a bad idea. He's not an 'idiot' he's just evil and knows he'll have enough money to always afford food regardless of what his choices are.

You know, a capitalist.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I mean he also made a show satirizing tech innovators and venture capitalists. Judge is like many Americans in that he has idiosyncratic and sometimes even contradictory politics.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Phy posted:

There's a science fiction short story I read years before Idiocracy, "The Marching Morons", that starts from the same eugenicist premise, only that there's also a tiny cadre of incredibly overworked smart people who secretly run the world. And the guy from the past is a real estate con man who creates a plan to launch all the dolts of humanity into the sun by making them think they're winning free trips to Venus. At the end the remaining smart people launch past guy into the sun as well, because they're happy to use a Hitler but they have no wish to hang out with him.

ironically that was the the same plan the capitalist/rich people had in 1930s Germany.

Big thing about Mike Judge is he's at worst just a little milquetoast. He's not a raving lunatic in any direction and can kept his politics out of his work for the sake of making a joke.

pentyne has a new favorite as of 18:35 on Mar 30, 2022

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

What’s the point of Batman’s mask leaving his mouth uncovered if he’s not gonna use it?

IDK how cannon Odyssey is, but in that I believe it's stated that Batman has like a thin, impossible to detect shield around the lower half of his face because [reel missing].

lesserworm
Feb 6, 2006
If you ever wish to visit...don't.

sexpig by night posted:

also the idea that it's 'stupid people' to blame is just a really childish view in general. Like 'oh man these dummies just don't GET IT' is how someone who genuinely can't imagine that you can be actively malicious and feign stupidity would react to the world. I think I said this in another thread this came up in but the whole 'we watered our crops with energy drinks' things is kindasorta painfully close to reality, but it's not some dumb rube going 'aw gee mr energy drink man you said your drink quenches thirst and these plants sure are thirsty!!!' but it's just someone with the ivy league bonafides Judge likely considers markers of a 'smart person' getting a poo poo load of money and going 'well why do you hate ~innovation~' when people point out that it's probably a bad idea. He's not an 'idiot' he's just evil and knows he'll have enough money to always afford food regardless of what his choices are.

You know, a capitalist.

I think this is what bugs me the most about the movie now. There is clearly a malicious force that made the world this way and profited from it. The Brondo executives who produced the propaganda are never mentioned. At the very least you'd think they'd have some response to this new guy who shows up and takes away a stream of revenue. But no, it's the common people's fault for believing them. The movie isn't very far away from laughing at the mothers who malnourished and/or poisoned their children because Nestle convinced them to buy formula instead of breastfeeding.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

sexpig by night posted:

You know, a capitalist.

I mean every political stripe uses if only the people understand that we should let the smart people lead us. Just everyone's definition of smart is different.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mooseontheloose posted:

I mean every political stripe uses if only the people understand that we should let the smart people lead us. Just everyone's definition of smart is different.

That's not true, there are absolutely political movements that are all about "if the PEOPLE weren't cheated of power, things would Just Work", Silent Majority reasoning and so forth.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

pentyne posted:

Big thing about Mike Judge is he's at worst just a little milquetoast. He's not a raving lunatic in any direction and can kept his politics out of his work for the sake of making a joke.

I think he forgot the part about making jokes around when he created The Goode Family

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

somepartsareme posted:

I think he forgot the part about making jokes around when he created The Goode Family

That show description sounds like the network backed a dump truck full of money up to his house after Obama won the election and said "do KOTH but some liberal hippies" expecting some massive ratings from all the angry republicans.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

BioEnchanted posted:

Invader Zim is 21 years old today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSPjNOcmiww

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

lesserworm posted:

I think this is what bugs me the most about the movie now. There is clearly a malicious force that made the world this way and profited from it. The Brondo executives who produced the propaganda are never mentioned. At the very least you'd think they'd have some response to this new guy who shows up and takes away a stream of revenue. But no, it's the common people's fault for believing them. The movie isn't very far away from laughing at the mothers who malnourished and/or poisoned their children because Nestle convinced them to buy formula instead of breastfeeding.

its just a dystopia except everyone is extremely dumb, i wouldn't read too much into the politics of it. "what if brave new world but everyone is completely stupid", and the thin premise is filled out by enough comedic detail to remain memorable. "welcome to costco, i love you" is a funny take on capitalism by itself

like he also made fun of smart people too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-hUV9yhqgY

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

And a Zim related post got over 1.5m likes on insta the other day! https://www.instagram.com/p/CbTXQbDvDV6/

I guess don't click if you don't want to see a (clothed) butt

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

let's not get it twisted, Judge is way smarter than any goon in this thread

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I wouldn’t read to much politics into it is the last refuge of the desperate fan

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Danger - Octopus! posted:

And a Zim related post got over 1.5m likes on insta the other day! https://www.instagram.com/p/CbTXQbDvDV6/

I guess don't click if you don't want to see a (clothed) butt

I’m glad this wasn’t horrible fan art

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

I wouldn’t read to much politics into it is the last refuge of the desperate fan

No I can prove that Hank Hill would've been a Trump supporter.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
look at what happens when goons read politics into things and you'll realize i am correct

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

its just a dystopia except everyone is extremely dumb, i wouldn't read too much into the politics of it. "what if brave new world but everyone is completely stupid", and the thin premise is filled out by enough comedic detail to remain memorable. "welcome to costco, i love you" is a funny take on capitalism by itself

like he also made fun of smart people too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-hUV9yhqgY

Dystopias are inherently political though? Here's a hosed up world, here's why its hosed up. The movie has literal voiceovers blaming stupid people having stupid kids for the state of the world.

This isn't even "turn your brain off and enjoy the movie". Not looking into the politics of a movie like Idiocracy is like turning the movie off and just staring at a black screen.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

look at what happens when goons read politics into things and you'll realize i am correct

Those goons, always reading politics into things that are just normal and don’t have politics in them!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I suppose next you'll be telling me that RoboCop is political!

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
you can tell that stupidity is inherently political because my politics are cool and good, and are for smart people, but the politics i oppose are dumb and bad, for stupid people. its very simple, i don't understand why you wouldn't get it

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

you can tell that stupidity is inherently political because my politics are cool and good, and are for smart people, but the politics i oppose are dumb and bad, for stupid people. its very simple, i don't understand why you wouldn't get it

You've correctly summarised the message of Idiocracy, and I hope you can see how it's morally ugly and worthless as political analysis.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Strom Cuzewon posted:

You've correctly summarised the message of Idiocracy, and I hope you can see how it's morally ugly and worthless as political analysis.

Now, now, Idiocracy also argues that it's genetic!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
out of all threads why come into this one to make your stand on things being able to be apolitical? it's full of hundreds of examples of how that, even if things aren't "meant to be" political, they still are as they reflect both the politics of the creator and the world at the time they made it

if mike judge really did mean to not say anything at all when he made idiocracy (which, yknow, big doubt), there's still stuff to be said about the premise, the fictional world it presents, how the world got to that point, and the solutions it implies or outright suggests

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I can’t tell if people are doing a but by pretending politics aren’t a thing in a thread about stuff aging badly.

Like this is literally the worst thread to argue that point!

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

flatluigi posted:

out of all threads why come into this one to make your stand on things being able to be apolitical?

sorry for sharing my opinions on a discussion in the thread where the discussion is taking place i guess, i'll be sure to run them by management first to ensure they don't make too many people upset

i think it's easier to project one's own politics onto idiocracy rather than derive any actual political stance from the work. like i said its as if trying to say beavis and butthead is commentary on republicans or something. it says more about the viewer than the creator

flatluigi posted:

if mike judge really did mean to not say anything at all when he made idiocracy (which, yknow, big doubt),

you can satirize society without satirizing politics, there is a lot of satire which isn't political

Mr. Fall Down Terror has a new favorite as of 22:27 on Mar 30, 2022

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
feel free to share your thoughts, just don't be surprised or upset when people tell you how you're incorrect especially in a thread literally about counterexamples to what you're posting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
oh you just don't understand what people mean when they say "political"