Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Gadot is so bad I don't understand how she has ever been cast in a movie, and there aren't very many people I would say that about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
It probably is an indicator that Patty Jenkins is one hell of a director because she was somehow able to cobble together a serviceable Wonder Woman movie with Gadot. I mean, the sequel was very bad but at least she can say she made one decent movie with Gal Gadot. Red Notice was god awful and Gadot was the biggest reason why, I haven't seen Death on the Nile but if she's a main character I can imagine she tanks that movie as well.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

mystes posted:

Gadot is so bad I don't understand how she has ever been cast in a movie, and there aren't very many people I would say that about.

She's v pretty.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

She's v pretty.

So's Gina Carano!

mystes
May 31, 2006

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

So's Gina Carano!
Maybe they should cast them together in a movie that I won't watch

Hirsute
May 4, 2007

mystes posted:

Maybe they should cast them together in a movie that I won't watch

They were both in one of the Fast & Furious movies actually

E: wait maybe not that was Ronda Rousey

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Nihonniboku posted:

Yeah, I'm about 3 episodes in, and that seems to be the direction its moving in. Not a lot of answers, just more and more mysteries added on each episode. And for some reason it bills itself as a comedy, even though it's nothing of the sort.

The impression I get having watched all the extant episodes is that they're trying to avoid doing that. They seem interested in providing answers and having the plot move forward rather than just milking every premise for as long as they can.

Several plots have come to fruition a lot quicker than I was expecting them to

It's kinda unfair that they gave Walken and Turturro the best story though. They're just acting circles around everyone else.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Junkie Disease posted:

gently caress death on the Nile is bad

The 70mm showing might have masked some of the badness for me.

Gadot was loving awful though holy poo poo.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

precision posted:

The impression I get having watched all the extant episodes is that they're trying to avoid doing that. They seem interested in providing answers and having the plot move forward rather than just milking every premise for as long as they can.

It's kinda unfair that they gave Walken and Turturro the best story though. They're just acting circles around everyone else.

From what I gather, reviewers have already seen all of season one and agree that not only do they stick the landing but appear to be confident in their plans for s2.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

severance is just getting better every episode

I tried to watch tenet today and yeah no

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

So's Gina Carano!

Who also got cast in a bunch of stuff until she said Forbidden Things. Gadot however has kept her opinions vague, and it’s ok to say you don’t care about Palestinians anyway. Their acting abilities are a tertiary concern to the paymasters

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

A MIRACLE posted:

it's insane how boring that movie is

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

A MIRACLE posted:

I forced myself to finish it because I liked Pattinson's character, but yeaaaaaah. The movie really does feel like a parody of a Nolan action film lmao.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

precision posted:

I just finished episode 4, and honestly, what you've written is deceptive and misleading. There are still no answers, and just additional layers of mysteries. Maybe they get there eventually, but the idea they are looking to move the plot forward rather than just milking every premise for as long as long as they can is a flat out lie.

Also, so far the Walken and Turturro storyline has gone absolutely nowhere and has not hinted at what direction it will go.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

A MIRACLE posted:

tenet is honestly mind-boggling in its badness lol. i love discussing it

one point that i've mentioned in the past that i cannot get over is how after the big action scene at the end, rpats explains some more details of the overarching time-traveling plot and describes his role in it, finally answering some of the questions that john david washington has had from the beginning, as well as cementing the bromance that has been developing between the two characters throughout the whole movie. except nolan decided to film this crucial piece of dialogue with the two characters 100 feet apart, shouting at each other across a rubble-strewn field as they walk away from each other

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
It's kind of shocking how bad the sound mixing is in parts of Tenet. There were a couple scenes where dialogue was almost fully drowned out by the score (the dialogue mostly being someone rushing through convoluted exposition also didn't help)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Nihonniboku posted:

I just finished episode 4, and honestly, what you've written is deceptive and misleading. There are still no answers, and just additional layers of mysteries. Maybe they get there eventually, but the idea they are looking to move the plot forward rather than just milking every premise for as long as long as they can is a flat out lie.

Also, so far the Walken and Turturro storyline has gone absolutely nowhere and has not hinted at what direction it will go.

Nihonniboku posted:

I just finished episode 4

edit: what i'm saying is, you're literally at the point at which poo poo Gets Real so just STFU and keep watching :)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nolan is one of those directors I feel I'm supposed to like more than I do. His Batman movies are fine. Too long and overrated, but fine. I like them well enough. Memento blew me away in high school but I feel like it would be stupid if I watched it now. interstellar was...ok. Dunkirk loving rules. it's the only movie he's done I actually love.

Everything else he's done I either hated or felt completely neutral on and forgot about the second I finished watching it. Couldn't even make it 45 minutes into Tenet though. One of the most aggressively boring movies I've ever watched in a way that's sort of indescribable and I like a lot of poo poo that people call boring.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

Nihonniboku posted:

I watched all the available episodes and I agree with what precision wrote. Honestly, saying that they wrote is deceptive and misleading (or even a lie) after watching just 4 episodes sounds really stupid. The Walken/Turturo storyline goes places, I can assure you of that.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I’m Gina watch dunkirkntomoro morning

Batman begins is still the most Batman the animated series Batman movie

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

A MIRACLE posted:

Batman begins is still the most Batman the animated series Batman movie

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

one of the few movies where as soon as it was done i packed a bowl immediately watched it again. it's insanely entertaining. i wish it had been like 4 hours long, it does so much with sound design and camera work. A+++

Good friend of mine did the soundtrack for that film. Anyway that's my story.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I enjoyed Tenet - how can I hate any movie that involves time travel and has someone turn to the camera and say "don't think about it, just feel it" - but I watched it with subtitles knowing that it would be completely undecipherable otherwise. Being intentionally impossible to understand makes a movie bad, I think.

Still probably the best Batman movie. This or Return of the Joker, anyway.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I didn’t hate tenet it was just too much concentrated Nolan and I turned it off. Like i get it

Going to have to rewatch mask of the phantasm thanks

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

Nolan is one of those directors I feel I'm supposed to like more than I do. His Batman movies are fine. Too long and overrated, but fine. I like them well enough. Memento blew me away in high school but I feel like it would be stupid if I watched it now. interstellar was...ok. Dunkirk loving rules. it's the only movie he's done I actually love.

Everything else he's done I either hated or felt completely neutral on and forgot about the second I finished watching it. Couldn't even make it 45 minutes into Tenet though. One of the most aggressively boring movies I've ever watched in a way that's sort of indescribable and I like a lot of poo poo that people call boring.

Thoughts on The Prestige? I think they may be my favorite Nolan movie.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

The prestige is sweet. There was another magic movie that came out at the same time I can’t remember what it was called now tho

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

A MIRACLE posted:

The prestige is sweet. There was another magic movie that came out at the same time I can’t remember what it was called now tho

The Illusionist?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Definitely. I think I thought these two movies were the same for a long time lol

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I think the whole 'unrelenting faceless horde throwing themselves into danger to stop the protagonist' thing worked better and made more sense in Inception. who are all these military types working for the antagonist in Tenet? are they mercenaries? they're aware of and masters of time travel and also btw they're completely loyal to the antagonist and willing to throw their lives away for him? btw what was the antagonist's goal again? to destroy reality as the penultimate expression of being a spiteful, abusive ex or something? incomprehensible

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
The (uneseen) antagonist's world moves backwards in time, and is on a collision course with our forward moving world, and will be erased once the timelines meet or some poo poo. So to them it's a battle for their world to survive. The bad guy we see is just a pawn and just wants gold. (As far as I recall, it's been a while)

Apart from that, nothing in the movie makes sense once you think about it outside the context of a cool movie scene.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

yeah I wasn't even high and I didn't catch any of that lol

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Skip the new Batman movie

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Prestige, Insomnia and Memento were probably ghost directed by his brother or something, for how much better they are then his other films

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbOGJfulUGI

The trailer for season 3 of The Real World Homecoming: New Orleans has just been released. It'll air on Paramount Plus starting April 20th.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

precision posted:

The Prestige, Insomnia and Memento were probably ghost directed by his brother or something, for how much better they are then his other films

cool never heard of Insomnia I'll check it out

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

precision posted:

It is striking how much more subtle and more lightly written those movies are. I think you are absolutely right.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

A MIRACLE posted:

cool never heard of Insomnia I'll check it out

It's a good one to smoke and watch

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I think Nolans' Insomnia is slept on. It and the original are both worth watching.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Following never gets any love, maybe because it's harder to track down and is low budget (and feels it), but it's a top 5 Nolan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

ymgve posted:

The (uneseen) antagonist's world moves backwards in time, and is on a collision course with our forward moving world, and will be erased once the timelines meet or some poo poo. So to them it's a battle for their world to survive. The bad guy we see is just a pawn and just wants gold. (As far as I recall, it's been a while)

Apart from that, nothing in the movie makes sense once you think about it outside the context of a cool movie scene.

I actually liked this bit with very few reservations. Kenneth Branaugh was trying to bury the macguffin in a dead drop to send it to the future (which is how they had set it up - once you can send things backwards through time, you have two way communication). The macguffin was a device apparently capable of inverting the entire world. It's explicitly said that no one knows what the gently caress that even means, but the future sucks rear end and they're desperate enough to try it, and it probably wouldn't be good for their past/"our" present.

EDIT: I cannot stress this enough, I watched this with subtitles and am quite confident I would never have heard any of that over the inverted shootout car chase it was probably delivered during.

EDIT again changed hte post I was actually responding to

Boxman fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 1, 2022