Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Groovelord Neato posted:

Is there some kind of buff that increases the amount of a status you inflict? Fought another guy with dual sleep swords and he applied sleep way faster than I ever had (like two hits).
it scales with arcane. but not always, afaik the weapon's actual damage needs to scale with arcane.
for example ghiza's wheel doesn't scale damage with arcane, and as a result it also doesn't scale bleed with arcane.

don't know whether trina's is one of those or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Vermain posted:

only thing that should affect it is if he used the weapon art beforehand, as it gives the sword a temporary boost to sleep buildup after the animation's finished

Never saw him do the animation nor were the swords purple.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Did they nerf the blue invaders before fia? I had huge issues with them my first go around but this time 2 wave of gold killed 2 and left the third on almost no health.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

Never saw him do the animation nor were the swords purple.

no clue, then, since there's nothing in the game that would boost status buildup independently of arcane scaling on weapons and it doesn't sound like he was using fire's deadly sin or anything similar

the sword apparently got glitched in 1.03 so that the post-weapon art buff goes away if you get hit once, so my only guess would be that there's a glitched interaction no one knows about that causes the weapon art buff to apply itself to the weapon silently. wouldn't surprise me if something like moveset swaps managed to sneak back in to the code somehow

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

MasterBuilder posted:

Did they nerf the blue invaders before fia? I had huge issues with them my first go around but this time 2 wave of gold killed 2 and left the third on almost no health.

They've always been kind of a joke boss when I've done it

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
Haha I just realized how good the Golden Seal in my inventory was compared to the fingers seal. I had my finger seal upgraded to +22 and it the incantation scaling was like 200-ish. The Golden Seal wasn't upgraded and it was at 160 or something, so my brain just kinda made it invisible and I kept skipping over it for the past couple days.

A few hours ago I was putting stuff into the chest to organize the inventory a bit and I was like "hey wait this thing is kinda close and it's not upgraded at all..." so I upgraded it with somber stones to +9 and it has the incant scaling up at 350ish!

So I went around zapping people with that cyclops frenzy flame incantation and it's so powerful now lmao, does close to 1k damage from like a mile away.

I was already starting to like incantations, but now it's really piqued my interest. What other incant's should I get?

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Dope

Lol parrying is hard.

GoodluckJonathan fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 31, 2022

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Tumble posted:

I was already starting to like incantations, but now it's really piqued my interest. What other incant's should I get?

frenzied burst is already kinda top-tier with its combination of range, speed, damage, and cost. it's one of the very few long-range incantations that NPCs will make zero effort to dodge, presumably due to the projectile speed, and it benefits from flame grant me strength, so it's a real bread-and-butter incantation for anyone who doesn't want to spend a lot of time in melee. only downside is that its appropriate seal (frenzied flame) is hot garbage for incant scaling if you're not doing a NG+ 99 stat run

as far as other incantations: stone of gurranq is pretty good for general-purpose PVE/PVP. swarm of flies will tear most large bosses to shreds if they have a phase change or periods of immobility. rotten breath is the best way hands down to apply scarlet rot if that's your sort of thing. giantsflame take thee is kind of an FP hog and takes up two memory slots but hits like a nuke if you invest properly into fire damage and the giantsflame seal, and is perfect for comboing with oil pots

Vermain fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 31, 2022

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Vermain posted:

no clue, then, since there's nothing in the game that would boost status buildup independently of arcane scaling on weapons and it doesn't sound like he was using fire's deadly sin or anything similar

the sword apparently got glitched in 1.03 so that the post-weapon art buff goes away if you get hit once, so my only guess would be that there's a glitched interaction no one knows about that causes the weapon art buff to apply itself to the weapon silently. wouldn't surprise me if something like moveset swaps managed to sneak back in to the code somehow

I was mostly bummed someone did my bit better than me especially when that someone was doing lower level PvP in the Niall set.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

MasterBuilder posted:

I'm 90% sure they're (other than Lionel) based on player builds who have at some point hugged Fia, but with their damage and health scaled down.

That's why some will be weirdly oppressive and others will spend 30 seconds cycling their prebuffs and never actually start attacking.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

GoodluckJonathan posted:

(Boss joyfully begins combo)
(I patiently wait for it to finish then go to get a hit in)
Boss: lol i wasn't actually done

(Boss joyfully begins combo)
(I patiently wait for ~the whole thing to finish~)
(Boss stops after two swings, gazes at me with utter contempt)

I think one of the most amazing things about this game is how I can go from say, dominating Niall and his buddies and feeling like hot poo poo to getting absolutely clowned on by another boss of roughly the same power level (Mohg the Omen). The degree to which you need to change up your strategies for different bosses(if you actually engage with the mechanics) is really really cool.

I switched from an Int/Dex build to Int/Str in the late game to strap a great shield and help with the insane damage output of late-game enemies. Domething I noticed is that they will chain attacks all day if you have a shield up. Like, early on you can shield block and wait for an opening or a guard counter but starting at about Leyndell mobs will happily string together 8+ strikes without giving you a window. You have to back up a bit and use spacing to create pauses in their combo and find room to counter.

Which I do like, since the game gives you enough tools to block with zero stamina loss there has to be some way to punish people who just sit behind a shield and never move.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Got Malenia to practically 1 HP, waterfowl dance. gently caress OFF.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I want to find whoever decided to give Malenia heal-on-hit and waterfowl dance their face with a rolled up newspaper

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I liked that, mean you couldn't just outlast her. You have to return some amount of consistent pressure.

Also, she is comically vulnerable to stagger, so it isn't too hard to capitalize when you get an opening

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I want to find whoever decided to give Malenia heal-on-hit and waterfowl dance their face with a rolled up newspaper

Or a chainsaw. Every attempt I've made on this boss has ended abruptly with this boss becoming an unstoppable blender. It's RNG bullshit. If the boss decides not to use Waterfowl, I have a chance of winning. Otherwise I'm hosed.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Skippy McPants posted:

I switched from an Int/Dex build to Int/Str in the late game to strap a great shield and help with the insane damage output of late-game enemies. Domething I noticed is that they will chain attacks all day if you have a shield up. Like, early on you can shield block and wait for an opening or a guard counter but starting at about Leyndell mobs will happily string together 8+ strikes without giving you a window. You have to back up a bit and use spacing to create pauses in their combo and find room to counter.

Which I do like, since the game gives you enough tools to block with zero stamina loss there has to be some way to punish people who just sit behind a shield and never move.

Haha speaking of stringing together some poo poo, I was fighting an Omen today and he was hilariously graceful while stomping my head in. I was trying to sneak up on him in his church while he was praying at his altar (Cliffbottom Catacombs, it's the Ogre Church apparently) and I guess some potato chips crunched or something because he swung around and clocked me, then proceeded to like 10-hit combo my dumb rear end with all these graceful twirls and kicks before finally picking me up and body-slamming me through a bench.

I was loving shocked, that dude was moving.

Horace Kinch posted:

Got Malenia to practically 1 HP, waterfowl dance. gently caress OFF.

Yea I had her dead-to-rites a while ago, sliver of health on her bar and I had plenty of flasks left. As I'm about to heal myself she glitch-picked me up. She did that sword-impale move but she wasn't close enough to actually hit me, but the game played it out like she was so I got lifted into the air by nothing and killed anyways.

Ever since then I just don't have the motivation for her, I've been half-assing every attempt and I honestly don't know if I'm going to ever actually beat her.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 31, 2022

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Ice Fist posted:

Hey. FromSoft. Dick loving move putting 4 revenants at the bottom level of the Brace of the Haligtree. Also super dick move having 3 rot crystallians guarding a goddamn somber smithing stone 9 in a tiny loving room. Also having 2 loving rotting avatars in the area. Jesus christ is this the gently caress you olympics or what?

Just use Gavel of Haima and the Great Shield ash.

The great shield soldiers are GOD tier.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Anyone else notice re: Morgott All his horns and whatnot seem to disappear after you kill him? Check his body as he's laying on the ground, he just looks like another dried-up husk of a big dude

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Anyone else notice re: Morgott All his horns and whatnot seem to disappear after you kill him? Check his body as he's laying on the ground, he just looks like another dried-up husk of a big dude

Not just that but the man shrivels up real well. When he's alive he's got them big ape arms and he's real beefy. But when he dies he just withers.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

DIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIE

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Horace Kinch posted:

DIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIE

congratulations for never giving up, gamer :unsmith:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

juggalo baby coffin posted:

does it say anywhere in the game what the slander shabriri got his eyes gouged out for was? allegedly the frenzied flame first appeared in his empty sockets. I'm wondering if the 'slander' was him saying something truthful about the two fingers and their intentions or something.

Idk if it's related, but there's some item that talks about how the fire monks (I think) saw fire in the erdtree/golden order and that this was heresy. Maybe seeing fire in the gold is akin to seeing the Frenzied Flame in the greater will.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Horace Kinch posted:

Or a chainsaw. Every attempt I've made on this boss has ended abruptly with this boss becoming an unstoppable blender. It's RNG bullshit. If the boss decides not to use Waterfowl, I have a chance of winning. Otherwise I'm hosed.

If you have a 100% shield you can block through it. She does get some hp back but not as much as you would think. If you're brave you can block through the first flurry and then hit her on the second and she will stagger and lose the rest of it.

If you're playing normally and not doing cheeseball poo poo I think its much easier to just block through it, certainly the first flurry. The later ones are easier to get away from. Psychologically its easier to just treat it like she always had a bit more hp.

I'd be curious how the aromatic ironjar works against her. You can only walk and fat roll for a minute but you take much less damage and don't get staggered by most things. You could in theory just stand there trading with her for.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Any possible lore reasons for the extremely large tombstones, especially the ones that act as a path down higher places?

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 31, 2022

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Flytrap posted:

it's still so weird to me that when people think of the super challenging super difficult super rewarding soulsbourne bosses they think of lady chainstagger and sister backstabbait

Orphan of Kos is like the only difficult boss BB had and...I actually can't think of anything in DSIII that took much effort to learn. Gael took like 4 or 5 tries my first time through the game, but every time I run up to him past that he's a one and done.

I guess I still haven't beaten Midir but that's entirely on the back of all of his mechanics just being terrible.

If you're looking to beat Darkeater Midir at some point in the future, I'd recommend watching this video. It goes over Midir's attacks and how to best avoid them. For me, it was a big help in beating Midir.

The Anime Liker posted:

If you absolutely love Hoarfrost Stomp look at that hatchet's specs and level up accordingly (iirc it's a Str/Int weapon)

As your character goes up in STR/INT so does the stomp's power.

Also, since you're in Liurnia, you can get the Hoarfrost Stomp all by itself and apply it to a great number of weapons, like katanas and swords and axes etc.

Something to look out for is also whetstone blades. Then you can have a Hoarfrost Stomp on a keen or quality katana instead of a magic katana and if you bump up DEX then you have a magic based ash of war tied to a pure dex weapon so you're stunning enemies then slicing them to ribbons.

Whetblade knives are a MUST. Most underrated tools in the game and you can do some wild poo poo early on with them and do some bonkers OP stuff with a character not leveled to that stat (like a STR guy with no faith can still use a holy hammer and just loving annihilate magic users)

I did pick up the standalone Hoarfrost Stomp Ash, but I need to figure out an alternate weapon to attach it to, since you can't change the skills on unique weapons.

I haven't really used the skill at all, outside of when I first found the Icerind Hatchet, and again against the Bell Bearing Knight at the Church of Vows (who unfortunately seemed to tank the damage). It seems like there's a bit of timing between when you deploy it, and when the shards break, so I'll have to play around with that to see if I want to stick with it.

I've collected a couple of the whetblade knives, but I've not used them, again, because I've been using the Bloodhound's Fang. I was hoping to find some AoWs that have elemental properties like Lightning or Holy, but it looks like those don't crop up until later on in the game.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Cowcaster posted:

this would be a good experiment starting point actually, you should set your colossal weapons to heavy and your katanas to keen and report back if they’ve gained or lost attack rating

At 66 Dex and 48 str:
Inferno Crozier Keen:
346 + 407
Inferno Crozier Quality:
302 + 475

Uchi heavy:
252 + 234
Uchi quality:
220 + 352
Uchi keen:
252 + 302

So this doesn't mean quality is the optimal endgame, but it's something you can do if your stats are split.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Macaluso posted:

Any possible lore reasons for the extremely late tombstones, especially the ones that act as a path down higher places?

The shattering, dude. It was like an earthquake but much stronger and also more interesting

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Horace Kinch posted:

For anyone still having trouble, a quick reminder that Black Knife Tiche is a much better summon for this fight than Mimic. She does a ton of stagger and has an innate bleed built into her kit.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Can the waterfowl dance be completely dodged? I could dodge the second and third phase fairly often rolling forward to her right. The first phase I never worked out.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

No Wave posted:

At 66 Dex and 48 str:
Inferno Crozier Keen:
346 + 407
Inferno Crozier Quality:
302 + 475

Uchi heavy:
252 + 234
Uchi quality:
220 + 352
Uchi keen:
252 + 302

So this doesn't mean quality is the optimal endgame, but it's something you can do if your stats are split.
I'm not adding those up, sorry :colbert:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Nephthys posted:

Sounds like you want NG+. It's quite easy at the start, it seems like it's barely an upgrade over the first playthrough for most enemies. If you want to just fight the bosses again with a different build its the way to go imo.

Perfect, thank you

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I've got the hang of dealing with waterfowl dance now, as long as I don't panic (pull out a barricade shield for the first flurry, dodge straight into her for 3 and 4, back up). My problem now is that in phase 2 she gets like two or three more moves where the tell is that she jumps in the air, and the panic over which it's gonna be completely overwhelms my brain.

Also that I've done enough phase 1 enough now that I can get away with being pretty aggressive, and then phase 2 adds the delightful OH YOU THOUGHT THAT WAS A PUNISH WINDOW BECAUSE IT WAS IN PHASE 1? ACTUALLY IT'S WHEN I JUMP INTO THE AIR AND THEN SCARLET ROT SLAM YOU WHILE YOU RECOVER FROM THAT SWING! move.

Max Wilco posted:

If you're looking to beat Darkeater Midir at some point in the future, I'd recommend watching this video. It goes over Midir's attacks and how to best avoid them. For me, it was a big help in beating Midir.

I remember reading some video that recommended alternating between attacks on his head and tail and man, that was bullshit advice. It triggers him doing all his most bullshit moves. Just staying in front of his face and bonking his nose in between his huge, slow swings was way easier.

Also occasional casting pestilent mercury to speed things up because god drat he's got too much HP.,

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 31, 2022

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
What are good ashes I can get in general for my weapons, before the first giant?

I'm using colossal weapons with an str build.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Horace Kinch posted:

if you can't dodge it the """normal""" way, use a shield with barricade or keep a weapon with bloodhound step in your pocket

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Horace Kinch posted:

ah, complaining online worked again I see

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

snoremac posted:

Can the waterfowl dance be completely dodged? I could dodge the second and third phase fairly often rolling forward to her right. The first phase I never worked out.

I suck so I never managed it, but I watched a guy basically roll for the first part, then when pauses momentarily you roll towards and under her so that she just completely whiffs you. Seems tough to pull off consistently.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
You can parry it.

I'm extremely wrong on this.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Horace Kinch posted:

Congrats on discovering the true secret to defeating a tough boss - complaining on the internet

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

snoremac posted:

It can but your better off looking at a video of someone doing it rather than someone try and explain it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Start running when she goes up in the air to dodge the first, roll into the 2nd, roll away from the 3rd and run a bit to avoid the coup de gras.

Its exact timing but god knows she gives you plenty of practice

Or just have a fingerprint shield and frosty antspur rapier lol