Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Seems like if you could fit one smaller backpack inside of a second larger backpack for storage purposes then that should only count as one backpack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
Gotta daypack. Gotta two-three night pack. Thinking I likely need a snow day pack. Will definitely need a weeklong pack at some point…

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

FogHelmut posted:

I used my Outlet coupon on a backpack.

I already have too many backpacks that I don't use.

I bought a Passage 1 tent and a Kingdom 4 tent in the pandemic and hopefully I get a chance to use them this year.

When the next 20% coupon comes in the fall, I might try to pick up an arete and go snow camping near Bishop.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Please don't ask me about the tents I already had before the pandemic.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I have two backpacks I'm definitely getting rid of.

I bought the full Kingdom 6 last year with the mud room and porch and everything. It was supposed to replace my good old Coleman 6 person and various canopies and Ozark Trail screen shelter. Those are all still in my garage.

I also have a Passage 2 which I think is great, but I wouldn't mind replacing it with something with a bit more headroom like a Trail Hut 2 or a Quarterdome or Halfdome.

Also feel like I need a 4 person tent that I don't need and probably won't use.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I just bought my first pair of MOAB mids this weekend, and I love them so far. Huge jump in comfort. They blow my old boots away, so I finally feel like I can start doing some longer hikes.

I want to start doing some overnight trips later this year, so I need to decide on some kind of tent.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time
The adage in cycling is N+1. Where N is the number of bikes you have, and N+1 is the number of bikes you need.

I see it applies to backpacking and camping gear too.

Mrs. rear end Trophy have our first "real" backpacking adventure this weekend. By real I mean carry all of our own gear, set up in the wilderness, eat camp food, survive the night, and make it back to the trailhead. 7 miles in, 7 miles out.

But I realized we don't have camp pillows. While not 100 percent necessary, there is a local store that has a selection of Nemo and Thrm-a-rest. I'd prefer something that pack up small. Any suggestions?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i have a camp pillow that's full of foam chunks that rolls up into a sausage shape. It's nice and supportive and doesn't feel like laying on a balloon, I think I got it at costco

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Therm-a-rest makes these pillowcase stuff sacks that I really like: https://www.thermarest.com/pillows/stuff-sack-pillows

(in the reviews people say they put pillows in them, wtf, but you're supposed to put your spare clothes in them to save space & weight)

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
The sea to summit inflatable pillows are very lightweight and decently comfortable. Not super comfortable though.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Before I switched to hammocks, I have a Nemo inflatable that I'll usually wrap in a sweatshirt or whatever my mid layer is

Inflatable pillows on their own are pretty... uncomfortable isn't the right word, but definitely weird and not-comfortable

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

The adage in cycling is N+1. Where N is the number of bikes you have, and N+1 is the number of bikes you need.

I see it applies to backpacking and camping gear too.

Mrs. rear end Trophy have our first "real" backpacking adventure this weekend. By real I mean carry all of our own gear, set up in the wilderness, eat camp food, survive the night, and make it back to the trailhead. 7 miles in, 7 miles out.

But I realized we don't have camp pillows. While not 100 percent necessary, there is a local store that has a selection of Nemo and Thrm-a-rest. I'd prefer something that pack up small. Any suggestions?

Please don't ask me about my bikes and bike parts.

I have a Therm-a-rest pillow. REI makes a version that's basically exactly the same with the memory foam pieces that I also have. I'm sure there are others as well. I would get one of these and deal with the space penalty because inflatable pillows suck.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
A camp pillow made a world of difference for me.
I prefer the foam ones, but inflatable is still better than a stuff sack filled with clothes.
E: I've found only partially inflating a pillow is more comfortable than blowing it all the way up. But I'm also a stomach & side sleeper.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I use an inflatable pillow also, but I like a pretty firm pillow. I blow it up all the way then while laying on it let air out slowly until it feels comfortable.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
The foam pillows are more comfortable but heavier and don't pack down as well but there's no better option for comfort. Poly stuff pillows kind of suck, they aren't very supportive and they don't compress down super small. Air pillows are great for weight and space savings, but don't really have the comfort of the foam pillows. They're usually better deflated a bit.

Some people put a jacket or clothes in a stuff sack but I've never found it to be super comfortable as you're always adjusting it.

On a side note, I bought some new trail runners yesterday. I needed to use my dividend and 20% off coupon from REI so after trying nearly everything on, I ended up with some topo Terraventure 3s.

I wanted a trail runner, breathable (non WP), with a rock plate, and a decently chunky sole, and I prefer vibram rubber. La sportivas are too narrow even for my regular/narrow feet and I don't like their soles. They're too slippery. Saucony peregrines didn't feel stable, they felt like a tall light running shoe and not secure enough. I can see rolling an ankle pretty easily in them. Same with the Brooks cascadia. I just didn't feel like my heel was secure in the heel cup. Altras are just too wide for me but they feel great, and grounded. The topos are slightly narrower and have the same feel. There really aren't as many options as I would have hoped. My Merrell all out peaks were perfect. Great grippy and lugged sole, lightweight, good toe protection. They lasted me several years of use and are falling apart, plus the rubber is rock hard.

I'll try these things out and see how they work.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I have a few different inflatable pillows (camping v backpacking ) and the secret is partial inflation and then using clothes as the “base” to go under the pillow, imo

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I never got enough loft from the laundry stuff sack method or camping pillows until I got an inflatable one. It's not perfect but it supports my neck. Just checked my email: it's a large Sea to Summit Aeros premium I got used from REI

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Does anyone have strong feelings about water filters? I had the katadyn be free for less then a year before it slowed down and became useless. In the middle of the west coast trail. Thankfully we are idiots and all had a full set of kit so I was able to make due borrowing a filter.

I see that platypus has their new Quickdraw which looks like it solves some of the complaints I see about Sawyers.

Or do I just get the standard sawyer squeeze? I refuse to ditch my venerable nalgene for a smart water bottle so that makes things like back flushing more complicated. Also they are strangely hard to get in Canada.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I do have strong feelings! The BeFree sucks, dont waste your money. I just didnt get long lasting use out of it like I have with my Sawyer Squeeze.

My current fave is the full size Sawyer Squeeze paired with a water bladder for drip filtering at camp as needed or a smaller water container for solo trips.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i have a Sawyer Mimi and its ok. i also have an inline charcoal filter for my CamelBak and it rules, makes camp spigot water taste much better and removes the vinyl taste from the bladder water

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I am not a fan of squeeze filters personally. I know they're popular but they don't work when the water source is some tiny pathetic poo poo, which has happened to me. Pumps all the way.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I stand by Platypus gravity works filters. They work well, I feel like I rarely have to backflow them. Bags are small and collapsible. I'm also not a trail runner so I don't need to constantly keep filtering.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I do have strong feelings! The BeFree sucks, dont waste your money. I just didnt get long lasting use out of it like I have with my Sawyer Squeeze.

Yea, aware of the flow problems now. It was great while it still worked 😂

Verman posted:

I stand by Platypus gravity works filters. They work well, I feel like I rarely have to backflow them. Bags are small and collapsible. I'm also not a trail runner so I don't need to constantly keep filtering.

How well do those work quickly? Say I just want to quickly fill up my bottle on the trail?

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Demon_Corsair posted:

Does anyone have strong feelings about water filters? I had the katadyn be free for less then a year before it slowed down and became useless. In the middle of the west coast trail. Thankfully we are idiots and all had a full set of kit so I was able to make due borrowing a filter.

I see that platypus has their new Quickdraw which looks like it solves some of the complaints I see about Sawyers.

Or do I just get the standard sawyer squeeze? I refuse to ditch my venerable nalgene for a smart water bottle so that makes things like back flushing more complicated. Also they are strangely hard to get in Canada.

I've been using a BeFree for years and after many days of use, or especially after a long break without using it, the flow will often drop to nearly nothing. The cleaning procedures Katadyn outlines don't really do anything immediately, but if I just get the filter element wet with clean water, and leave it soak for a few hours or overnight, the flow is completely restored and stays fine for as long as the new filter did.

Nowadays I just store them wet, and I never have problems even during long trips. I don't know what exactly the mechanism is, if it's biofilms or some evaporative phenomenon, but it seems to me like the flow problems with the BeFree are reversible, and avoidable if you can keep the filter being dry for long.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Demon_Corsair posted:

How well do those work quickly? Say I just want to quickly fill up my bottle on the trail?

To fill a 32oz nalgene will probably take a minute or two so long as the filter is clear. If you're trail running and trying to keep moving quickly, probably not the best option but its still quick. It fills a 3L bladder in a few minutes. Usually holding the dirty bladder up high will yield the best results. I usually set up my filter for a 3L reservoir and eat a snack or take a wiz while it fills up. The thing I like about these are the bladders are small and weigh nothing when folded, but you can fill them up and bring them to camp for extra on hand water in camp, more than just your bottle can hold.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

alnilam posted:

I am not a fan of squeeze filters personally. I know they're popular but they don't work when the water source is some tiny pathetic poo poo, which has happened to me. Pumps all the way.

The cost to replace the filter in my Katadyn pump was nearly as much as buying a new unit. I think that was the old charcoal filters though. Have they gotten cheaper/less changing needed?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Can't Sawyer squeezes be used as gravity filters. I only ever use mine with water bottles, but the flexibility seems good for people that like both I guess?

I've only started Backcountrying where I need to filter water a couple years ago and I grabbed the Sawyer squeeze because it was cheap and what the people I followed YouTube use and it just works for me.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah you can get a bladder with a screw cap on the bottom, screw the Sawyer on, and hang it from something for a while.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

RodShaft posted:

Can't Sawyer squeezes be used as gravity filters. I only ever use mine with water bottles, but the flexibility seems good for people that like both I guess?

I've only started Backcountrying where I need to filter water a couple years ago and I grabbed the Sawyer squeeze because it was cheap and what the people I followed YouTube use and it just works for me.

Yup. I use a Cnoc Vecto with a Sawyer squeeze in a gravity system. Clean water goes directly into the bladder or a couple Nalgene bottles.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

FCKGW posted:

Yup. I use a Cnoc Vecto with a Sawyer squeeze in a gravity system. Clean water goes directly into the bladder or a couple Nalgene bottles.

same, its a great system. just dont forget to check your filter before going out if its been a while...

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

The cost to replace the filter in my Katadyn pump was nearly as much as buying a new unit. I think that was the old charcoal filters though. Have they gotten cheaper/less changing needed?

IME they need changing very rarely. The filter area is so much larger that it takes a lot longer to gum up completely, plus you can brush it out. It's still an expensive replacement but I've only done it once, compared to squeezy people I feel like are talking about replacing theirs on a somewhat regular basis.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Morbus posted:

I've been using a BeFree for years and after many days of use, or especially after a long break without using it, the flow will often drop to nearly nothing. The cleaning procedures Katadyn outlines don't really do anything immediately, but if I just get the filter element wet with clean water, and leave it soak for a few hours or overnight, the flow is completely restored and stays fine for as long as the new filter did.

Nowadays I just store them wet, and I never have problems even during long trips. I don't know what exactly the mechanism is, if it's biofilms or some evaporative phenomenon, but it seems to me like the flow problems with the BeFree are reversible, and avoidable if you can keep the filter being dry for long.

I basically tried all the tricks I could find at the time and nothing coaxed it back to life. It's a shame it was amazing when it worked.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Where is the best place to get cheap or discounted or previously returned Under Armor compression shorts? Just like amazon?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Do you want actual compression shorts or just form fitting synthetic boxer briefs? If the latter, Costco and Sam's club both have them for $3-5/pair in 3 packs, not typically UA brand but something of decent quality (Adidas etc).

No idea where to get real compression shorts cheap. The couple UA pairs I have I got from a connection who worked there years ago. I don't wear them often so they're still going strong.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Head Bee Guy posted:

Where is the best place to get cheap or discounted or previously returned Under Armor compression shorts? Just like amazon?

Target or amazon, not UA brand but Target usually has their own line of athletic stuff that is pretty decent and usually very inexpensive.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Does anyone have any experience with Reebok footwear on trails? There's a 40% off coupon coming up from T-Mobile and I need new hiking shoes.

Edit: I don't want waterproof and do want something that dries quick. Really have no idea on anything else right now.

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 31, 2022

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Head Bee Guy posted:

TJMaxx/Ross/Marshalls if you have them near you.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I lost a tent pole for my 7 year old Eureka tent. I just called the customer support and they had a free replacement at my door in 48 hours.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

highme posted:

I believe mine is the 10 and is perfect.

Just wanted to report back that I got the Exped MegaMat 10 and used it this weekend. It is indeed very comfortable!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

My camelbak bladder finally got some gross flavor in it that won’t come out but it’s 12 yers old so I’m not too bent outta shape about it.

What’s the good word on hydration bladders these days, ideally I’d like one of the ones that can be opened to clean as long as they’re still pretty reliable.