Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i think private eye did a similar article then a few letters from people in the following issue came in saying no, actually not all bots, i actually wrote those abusives tweets myself so you’re factually wrong, and i think private eye apologised?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Jel Shaker posted:

i think private eye did a similar article then a few letters from people in the following issue came in saying no, actually not all bots, i actually wrote those abusives tweets myself so you’re factually wrong, and i think private eye apologised?

The bots are a big deal regardless of how many cunts are out there. Bots push up engagement numbers which gives cunts the space to have their horrible opinions validated, seen and seem more normal so they are more comfortable pushing them publicly.

The algorithms push things which they think will be interesting. If 5% more mechanised bot interest in some oval office's tweet pushes it over some other tweet, the snowball effect on the number of eyeballs that end up on that topic is huge.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

All fudge orders have shipped :)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

happyhippy posted:

Linkedln is great for reading articles from absolute gobshites though.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

keep punching joe posted:

edit: also what the gently caress with the weather, its sunny here right now but I also just saw some random flakes of snow.

Actual hailstones here in SE London about half an hour ago...

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yes there's a cold front at the moment that expects to see us in the minus degrees over the next few days. Should clear by early next week.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

i mean facebook isn't much better at the moment, maybe because most of the people i actually talk to are on discord and whatsapp and the like, but the random crap promoted on my timeline has really taken a turn for the "fake inspirational quotes by morgan freeman" and "posts about hard work under pictures of elon musk" lately. maybe now i'm in my 30s it's decided i'm a boomer

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Guavanaut posted:

cw: mumsnet
https://twitter.com/setoacnna/status/1509072452739112962

Looking forward to the MumsBumps horror anthology with such greats as "I saw a tall lady waiting for the toilet"
A (cis) friend of mine has been hassled in public toilets a few times exactly because she's tall and not traditionally-femme-presenting (not butch either, just jeans-and-a-baggy-hoody type of clothes). Self-professed Radical Feminists constantly examining other women they don't know and berating them if they don't have Correct Features, it's beyond parody.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I always think back to those deranged anti trans comics that are indistinguishable from gay panic or hell even loving women's lib era stuff about hairy legged bra burning lesbians.

Really doesn't change.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Angepain posted:

i mean facebook isn't much better at the moment, maybe because most of the people i actually talk to are on discord and whatsapp and the like, but the random crap promoted on my timeline has really taken a turn for the "fake inspirational quotes by morgan freeman" and "posts about hard work under pictures of elon musk" lately. maybe now i'm in my 30s it's decided i'm a boomer
I remember getting a few months of real quotes by Thomas Sowell coming up all the time which was not what I'd asked for at all. Now it's mostly geek culture cartoons that are worth a 'heh' at best but much better than quotes about how market conservatism is the real anti-racism.

Also the dumbest 'return to monke' fake lifestyle anarchism quotes (bad), weird plumbing and electrical gadgets/ideas (eh), and short videos of cats making sounds (good).

Apraxin posted:

Self-professed Radical Feminists
They're called 'gender critical' now, presumably because all they do is criticize people's gender and no longer give a toss about sex based biological rights coming under attack.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

It's chilled down a bit from the first year of everyone furloughed and at home, where every single loving recruitment agent pivoted to ridiculous positivity and thirst for them influencer likes, but it's still bullshit the incredibly cynical me doesn't want to endlessly scroll through when I need freelance work. Take that poo poo elsewhere, LinkedIN has been a massively useful tool in the past but as soon as it's feed turned into Facebook lite it took a massive nosedive. I don't give a solitary poo poo whether recruiter A liked some toned actuary offsprings live laugh love post, give me work options.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Camrath posted:

All fudge orders have shipped :)

Yaaaaay I am introducing your fudge to everyone at work when it comes, trying to gather customers

I find LinkedIn almost useless. It doesn't filter well, it constantly tries to act like a facebook feed - just gently caress off and let me look for jobs.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I often get emails from linked in claiming people are interested in me, instantly destroying it's credibility.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

HopperUK posted:

Yaaaaay I am introducing your fudge to everyone at work when it comes, trying to gather customers

I find LinkedIn almost useless. It doesn't filter well, it constantly tries to act like a facebook feed - just gently caress off and let me look for jobs.

Thank you so much! <3

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/DanBoeckner/status/1509170056810299398?s=19

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
LinkedIn is full of people who are "reaching out" instead of messaging, emailing or phoning.

Anyone who 'reaches out' to me, unless I'm drowning and they're literally reaching out to drag me out of the foaming torrent of the river, can do one.

VVV I suppose I will allow Gloria Gaynor.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 30, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

*depeche mode-ish-ly*

Reach out, touch base.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
Reach out to your professional network for their learnings.
Or as those humans say- ask a mate for help.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

An acquaintance of mine has deleted her socials and basically gone offline for the forseeable because she was so upset about people defending what Will Smith did. She's clearly intensely triggered by even the thought of violence and repeatedly stated that she would absolutely hate if someone acted violently on her behalf (even as a trans girl, and thus more likely than many to be in a position of being under some kind of attack, be it verbal or otherwise). A couple of people tried to gently point out that mocking a woman's appearance, especially one that stems from disability, on the world stage is also a form of violence, but she was having none of it.

I'm not really saying this to make any grand point. My own view is "Perfectly understandable human response, even if better options theoretically existed", but I guess I'm just bringing it up because it's upsetting that it upset her that severely.

Love to just be trying to live my life and every loving DAY there's some wankers hating on trans people.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

whats her thoughts re: ukraine?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

keep punching joe posted:

edit: also what the gently caress with the weather, its sunny here right now but I also just saw some random flakes of snow.

April snow is hardly unknown, like, there's even a specific phrase for it, lambing snow. Coz y'know, the lambs get born around the start of April & it snows often enough to be a thing that people have to coin a phrase about it. But yeah, I mean when I woke up there was a covering of snow outside, not deep or anything but it had snowed & it didn't clear until the afternoon. And that's despite living about 2m above sea-level.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Grape Nuts

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Mebh posted:

Grape Nuts

With extra thick cream generously ladled on top - yum.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

VVV I suppose I will allow Gloria Gaynor.

What about Neil Diamond?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Miftan posted:

What about Neil Diamond?

I was not familiar enough with his oeuvre to know he mentioned reaching out in a song.
Now I know thanks to the power of the Mighty Google.
I suppose he can have a pass too because when he wrote that song it was the 60s before the word was misappropriated by the linkedin types.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

With extra thick cream generously ladled on top - yum.

My wife does despair about my family and our like for adding cream onto things. I wonder if it's a Yorkshire thing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I was not familiar enough with his oeuvre to know he mentioned reaching out in a song.

Also not familiar enough with Motown to know that Reach Out (I'll Be There) was originally by the Four Tops.

(I also found out that Lamont Dozier and the Holland brothers are all still alive, which was a great surprise. I had assumed that they were older, but they were in their mid 20s when they wrote their biggest hits.)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Mebh posted:

My wife does despair about my family and our like for adding cream onto things. I wonder if it's a Yorkshire thing.

Ever had cream cake (gräddtårta)?

Yum! So much whipped cream.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Mebh posted:

I'm not from Yorkshire though. I was born the other side of the Pennines.

Apropos trying to cancel a mobile data thingy:

I bought a mifi 9 years ago.
I have been paying for 40GB per month for years.
For the last few years I've been hardly using it - the device says I've used 17GB in the last year - and the time has come (at £18.50pm) to cancel it.
WHY is it SO DARN HARD?
Spent ages on the Three site trying to find out what to do. Eventually managed to get a STAC code but I'm not transferring to another network, I'm finishing it, because I ALSO have one of their HomeHubs and now I've got my Smarty which has now had a good workout, I've used it to hotspot and run my laptop too just to prove I can, speed same (sometimes better) than the homehub, I don't need the mifi. (And Smarty is also a Three product!)

But if you're not transferring to another network, you have to phone them. OH GOD. I don't want to be upgraded or anything, I'm paying for 40GB I don't need and by the way I have an unlimited also with you! grr. Why I cannot just cancel online which I could have done last night instead of going round and round with security questions, hanging on the phone, listening to a load of guff I don't know.

Looks like I'll be paying out including a payment in May despite my contract having expired in 2018 and me not entering another contract so it just rolled on.

I'm not going to try sorting out the other thing (where they're crediting my homehub account with £16pm instead of billing me) until this one is well and truly sorted! I can't bear the pain of having to deal with customer services.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Mar 31, 2022

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Mebh posted:

We add cream to things in Cornwall too, I think it may be a 'nearby cows' thing

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I've cancelled EE data plan last month and it was just a quick call to a UK callcentre that got picked up right away, but then I was paying £50 PCM so that's probably part of why they're not skimping as much.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Mar 31, 2022

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Apropos trying to cancel a mobile data thingy:

Last time I cancelled Three I literally had to say "cancel the contract" three times before they'd stop trying to upsell me and actually, you know, cancel the -

Aaaand I'm feeling semantic satiation all over again.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Biggus Dickus posted:

Last time I cancelled Three I literally had to say "cancel the contract" three times before they'd stop trying to upsell me and actually, you know, cancel the -

Aaaand I'm feeling semantic satiation all over again.

That's because in the phobile moan industry, "I want to cancel my contract" is shorthand for "I'm thinking of changing providers, what will you give me to stay?"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Same with broadband and TV, every year I have it scheduled to ring up Virgin, say I want to cancel, and get my 6 months half price. Bizarre that they choose to stick with that model of low-grade customer annoyance but whatever, it's done in 5 minutes

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

What would happen if you just send an email saying you're cancelling it, turn off the direct debit and forget about it?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

A bad case outcome would be they get a failed payment without having processed your cancellation and it gets reported to the credit agencies. You then file a “notice of correction” against the missed payment mark, but the mark never goes away. So your score is lower, and you are relying on any future lender clicking into the missed payment and reading the notice of correction, rather than just seeing the missed payment and assuming you didn’t pay your bills.

It’s not a very fair system - I still have “missed payment” from 2018 or so when amex didn’t transfer my debit details over properly which I can’t get removed.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

What would happen if you just send an email saying you're cancelling it, turn off the direct debit and forget about it?

What Red said plus there's no email address on the system. The only reason I know I hadn't actually cancelled a couple of days ago is because I logged into the mifi router and saw an SMS in there giving me the STAC code and saying I had to use it in 30days (but no idea where to type it in or anything when I discovered if you're not moving to another provider you have to phone.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Depends on whether you care about retaining your mobile number and if the phone is fully paid off. So long as you can provide a paper trail showing that you no longer wanted the service and the date you wanted it to cease, and you paid them up to that date, they will probably just let it go.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

In France the deal was something like every contract had to be cancelled by sending a paper letter to somebody in Paris who replied to confirm it. I dunno something like that.

As jedit says as long as theres proof you cancelled and paid. But then they gently caress you over anyway and there's nothing you can do. I'm not just a number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

continuing Tory attempts to turn us into North Korea https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1509460820132077568