Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Cattail Prophet posted:

Lol that the title is apparently still too spoilery to reveal though
The Legend of Zelda: Forever

It spoils its release date

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Disappointing but not unexpected. The eroded Master Sword is definitely new and should provide for some fun speculation in the coming months. Hopefully they’ll finally release Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD to tide us over. I also wouldn’t be shocked to see Nintendo surprise us with another remaster from the Links Awakening remake team, maybe the Capcom GBC or GBA games. But that’s probably wishful thinking.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
I’m hoping against hope they delayed it to launch another console. Switch Pro or what have you. BoTW2 might run on the switch (like the original for the Wii U) but it’s a better experience on the new console. It worked once, why not do it again?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Clearly the sword had been under water in some kind of temple for a long time.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

FooF posted:

I’m hoping against hope they delayed it to launch another console. Switch Pro or what have you. BoTW2 might run on the switch (like the original for the Wii U) but it’s a better experience on the new console. It worked once, why not do it again?

Having it on a new console would be great, but I'd sure hope it'd be cross-platform again. Getting a Switch was tough enough in the early days, I wouldn't want to deal with another new console release in the semi-near future just for BotW2.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Well with Splatoon 3, Xenoblade 3 and Pokeyman Scarlet/Violet all out this year, I don't mind BOTW2 being pushed back at all.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Captain Hygiene posted:

Having it on a new console would be great, but I'd sure hope it'd be cross-platform again. Getting a Switch was tough enough in the early days, I wouldn't want to deal with another new console release in the semi-near future just for BotW2.

Yeah. I mean, I'd do it, but ow...

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m asking in good faith and not as a troll: what are people expecting performance wise for this game? I feel like people are expecting a continuous over world that seamlessly blends into either a floating sky city or expansive underground open world areas without loading screens while maintaining AND improving upon the graphical fidelity of Breath of the Wild. Is this possible? To what degree? How much more horsepower can Nintendo wring out of 6-7 year old hardware?

(Asking as someone who is committed to preordering no hesitation)

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I don't expect any graphical enhancements to be honest, although it looks like clouds are getting a pass*. I imagine things would blur out when you're in the sky.

*Having sky islands way high up and using clouds to obscure some of the land below may be an interesting system to give them more juice to work with.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Zore posted:

Yeah, you can equip anything in Elden Ring. If you don't meet the minimum stat requirements it cuts your damage to basically nothing and makes all your attacks bounce off enemies though. But it is a good way to test out movesets before you invest levels or the shockingly rare upgrade materials into the weapon

There are later areas with option bosses in random caves/tombs/etc that drop "bell bearings" that allow you to add items to the main vendor in Roundtable Hold. You can then buy those upgrade materials for runes.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I will start being disappointed in Zelda delays when they stop having beneficial effects on the end product.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
I know the important news is the delay, but that tatted up, wild man-looking Link holding an extremely hosed Master Sword is sending my mind ablaze with possibilities

also, how weird is it that they're still afraid to share the title for (ostensibly?) spoilery reasons, yet they're unafraid to drop something like that amid old footage in a delay announcement?

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m asking in good faith and not as a troll: what are people expecting performance wise for this game? I feel like people are expecting a continuous over world that seamlessly blends into either a floating sky city or expansive underground open world areas without loading screens while maintaining AND improving upon the graphical fidelity of Breath of the Wild. Is this possible? To what degree? How much more horsepower can Nintendo wring out of 6-7 year old hardware?

The Switch has (unfortunately) bucked this tradition more than a few times, but in general performance and graphical look of games should actually go up - perhaps even dramatically - the longer a console goes on. Dev tools get more polished, optimization tricks become more well known, cleaner firmware, and so on.

But that hasn't really happened with the Switch. We also haven't had many same-generation sequels, so we also can't really compare things apples-to-apples

I think XB3 will tell us a lot. Monolith is famous for wringing every ounce of power from low-specced hardware, they've worked on BotW1 and 2, and the game is at least comparable in size and scope to BotW2. If XB3 is a framey disaster, then yeah, BotW2 is totally hosed. If it runs well, then I'd be super optimistic

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Manoueverable posted:

Maybe swap some covid percentage to scrambling after seeing Elden Ring and I think that's probably accurate.

This is 100% inacruate. Elden Ring has 0 to do with Nintendo's decision making and the game will have no influence on BoTW2's design.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

WarpDogs posted:

also, how weird is it that they're still afraid to share the title for (ostensibly?) spoilery reasons, yet they're unafraid to drop something like that amid old footage in a delay announcement?

"The Master Sword needs work to unlock its full potential" isn't much of a spoiler imo, even if "needs work" is an understatement in this case

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Well I've been assuming its basically a reskin of the first game, maybe some new, larger areas.

Performance wise the exact same, slowdown and all.

Not really the kind of way you want to lead off the 5th year of your console with a game that's the same as a launch title.

No idea how those cloud based games are doing but even if they were doing great I'd seriously doubt they'd go that route for a flagship title.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I don't think the cloud games are much more than a blip on their radar to get a couple higher-spec games on there, there's no way they'd do that for a big first-party title. Honestly, I think that the love for BotW is widespread and deep enough that it'd still be a beloved all-time seller even if it was the exact same presentation and engine.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

The Maroon Hawk posted:

"The Master Sword needs work to unlock its full potential" isn't much of a spoiler imo, even if "needs work" is an understatement in this case

Having the Master Sword get broken at the start of the game is as good a reason as any to explain why Link doesn't get to start with the most powerful weapon right off the bat. Just be glad they aren't going with the Metroid: Other M route and say that Link does still have all his cool poo poo from the first game, he just can't use any of it until Zelda slowly gives him permission throughout the adventure.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

By then I guess I'll be playing it on the Switch Pro so that'll be cool.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

sigher posted:

By then I guess I'll be playing it on the Switch Pro so that'll be cool.

The Switch Pro is still just rumor territory right? Every time I Google it, it appears to be all supposition and I haven’t seen any concrete facts regarding it.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

chaosapiant posted:

The Switch Pro is still just rumor territory right? Every time I Google it, it appears to be all supposition and I haven’t seen any concrete facts regarding it.

The switch pro is the spring wind in our hair, the dew of a new morning laying upon a daffodil, the promise of a garden rising from the brown dirt.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

it's pure fantasy inspired by the fact that the switch kinda sucks

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Much like Breath of the Wild itself, the Switch is both the greatest video game console of all time, and easy to imagine improvements to.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
BOTW2 in a cinematic 24FPS with slow-motion drops to 9FPS on the Switch non Pro

jisforjosh fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 30, 2022

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
"The human eye can not detect anything higher than 24fps, you're all just liars" - Miyamoto.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i would probably put the switch as nintendo's best portable and fourth best console

botw is maybe the third best portable zelda and third or fourth best console zelda

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the massive nvidia ransomware leak basically confirmed that nvidia is making the hardware for nintendos next console but whether it's a mid-cycle refresh or next generation system is anyone's guess

them sticking with nvidia bodes well for backwards compatibility at least

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

repiv posted:

them sticking with nvidia bodes well for backwards compatibility at least

I sure hope so, that's always nice to have. I know the Pro's a rumor and Nintendo likes to try new things, but I'd still guess the next one will be some recognizable iteration on the Switch, between its popularity and it essentially just supplanting their own handheld market.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The Switch is a good form factor and they'd be dumb to move away from it. Just update to more powerful hardware and stick with the current OLED screen. I know people clamor for a 1080p screen on the switch, but it's not needed at that size.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Switch Pro has been a running joke for half the lifecycle of the Switch. Hardware is definitely their biggest problem but they can't just start making games to run on the better hardware when 20+ million people have the old hardware. At best they're gonna do a Switch 2.0 as late into the console cycle as they can and make sure it's 100% backwards compatible.

If I had to guess they're probably trying some kind of map break up where the game loads chunks in a different manner then the first game to try and improve performance.

I'd be 100% find with some 'warps' to completely separate map areas of much smaller size as part of the new game.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Just make a Switch 2 that has the the extruded notch on the carts like the 3DS did.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Switch Expansion Pak when

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The switch pro is the switch but for working professionals. It doesn't actually play any games but it runs excel, outlook, MYOB and much more

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I am angry, I want to play this stupid game already. At least step it the gently caress up with the online service games you motherfuckers

EDIT: I hope Spring 2023 means last week of March and not third week of June

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

pentyne posted:

Switch Pro has been a running joke for half the lifecycle of the Switch. Hardware is definitely their biggest problem but they can't just start making games to run on the better hardware when 20+ million people have the old hardware. At best they're gonna do a Switch 2.0 as late into the console cycle as they can and make sure it's 100% backwards compatible.

If I had to guess they're probably trying some kind of map break up where the game loads chunks in a different manner then the first game to try and improve performance.

I'd be 100% find with some 'warps' to completely separate map areas of much smaller size as part of the new game.

Switch Pro rumors predate general availability of the Switch

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

The Switch Pro is the OLED Switch, and BOTW2 will only run on an OLED Switch. It’s a big gamble, but you gotta respect it.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

It'll be Xenoblade 3DS all over again.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

MokBa posted:

The Switch Pro is the OLED Switch, and BOTW2 will only run on an OLED Switch. It’s a big gamble, but you gotta respect it.

Actually it'll run on original switch, but only in Black & White.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Gruckles posted:

God drat it molyneux!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Gruckles posted:

My decision not to upgrade is paying off already!