Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
yeah i guess i'm the stupid one here because my opinions make your tummy hurt. too bad for you that my descendants will blot out the sun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something that's REALLY not aged well in The Queens Gambit is all those 9 year olds being given tranquilisers. I thought that was outlawed in like the 50s?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Oh it’s not a bit you just don’t really understand what your on about.

Sure you can post through it tho

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

you can satirize society without satirizing politics, there is a lot of satire which isn't political

Could you explain what you mean by political? Because it seems like you're using to mean "explicitly endorses one political party".

Failing that , could you explain what you mean by satire and give an example of a non-political satire. Because I cannot wrap my head around "there is a lot of satire which isn't political"

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

you can satirize society without satirizing politics, there is a lot of satire which isn't political

when people are saying "politics" regarding a work of fiction they don't mean that it's literally about the government, they're talking about the stance and positions of both the creator and what's inherent to the work. (the theoretical pure opinionless and stanceless work of fiction would then be 'apolitical')

i think you're doubling down on a fundamental misunderstanding of what people are saying

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
People said Swifts thing about eating babies was political, but really he just found the concept of eating babies really funny

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

The problem with treating Idiocracy as apolitical is that it doesn't matter if Judge had an agenda or not. I happen to think in general it was just intended to be a silly movie. But people keep saying "Idiocracy is real," and they keep saying it semi-seriously. And that means people have had to look at what a serious interpretation of Idiocracy would actually be. Yes, it's dumb, but we had to be dumb in order to respond to the original stupidity with something more sophisticated than "Nuh uh."

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
In general it's not the product that has aged poorly just the people who like talking about it.

Also, in general when people go "oh you need to take politics out of it" 99% of the time it's because the thing is presenting the idea that a cis hetero white male experience isn't the standard experience.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
have any of you even considered? satire

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Could you explain what you mean by political? Because it seems like you're using to mean "explicitly endorses one political party".

Failing that , could you explain what you mean by satire and give an example of a non-political satire. Because I cannot wrap my head around "there is a lot of satire which isn't political"

I guess you could look at something like Seinfeld or Curb Your Enthusiasm which is typically satire aimed at the manners and social conventions of a society. I would personally still consider that political, but I think you could reasonably say that it's not political in quite the same sense that people are envisioning when they use the term.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

BioEnchanted posted:

Something that's REALLY not aged well in The Queens Gambit is all those 9 year olds being given tranquilisers. I thought that was outlawed in like the 50s?

When do you think The Queen's Gambit takes place?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

pentyne posted:

Also, in general when people go "oh you need to take politics out of it" 99% of the time it's because the thing is presenting the idea that a cis hetero white male experience isn't the standard experience.

There are two sexes: Male, and Political.

There are two sexualities: Straight, and Political.

There are two races: White, and Political.

etc

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Toshimo posted:

When do you think The Queen's Gambit takes place?

Difficult to answer in the era of streaming imo

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Sweevo posted:

There are two sexes: Male, and Political.

There are two sexualities: Straight, and Political.

There are two races: White, and Political.

etc

There are two wolves inside of you. They are both political.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

flatluigi posted:

when people are saying "politics" regarding a work of fiction they don't mean that it's literally about the government, they're talking about the stance and positions of both the creator and what's inherent to the work. (the theoretical pure opinionless and stanceless work of fiction would then be 'apolitical')

i think you're doubling down on a fundamental misunderstanding of what people are saying

To be fair to Mr. Fall Down Terror, Idiocracy doesn't say LIBERALS/CONSERVATIVE ARE ___________. So from that stand point, its not about politics, more about society.

Now, to be fair, King of the Hill IS conservative but its writers make Hank amenable to new ideas that he comes across as somewhat reasonable.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Idiocracy is wrong because people are actually getting a lot smarter from not having lead poison brain damage. Everyone over 40 is basically a moron from their brains rotting from lead being in everything. The dumbest person under 40 is on the same level as the average people from the over 40 generation.

To balance things out we have microplastics ensuring everyone dies young and Covid causing brain damage.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

christmas boots posted:

why?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Mooseontheloose posted:

To be fair to Mr. Fall Down Terror, Idiocracy doesn't say LIBERALS/CONSERVATIVE ARE ___________. So from that stand point, its not about politics, more about society.

Now, to be fair, King of the Hill IS conservative but its writers make Hank amenable to new ideas that he comes across as somewhat reasonable.

King of the Hill manages to be conservative without being reactionary (from what I've seen--there is so much KOTH it's probably got some ugly episodes) which is a tricky line to toe.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Depends on when you hit play

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

look at what happens when goons read politics into things and you'll realize i am correct

This got me to go back and read some old SuperMechaGodzilla posts and now my tummy and my head both hurt

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
I deeply dislike Idiocracy because I feel the butt of the joke isn't stupidity, its the lower class and their 'vulgar' culture.

It equates the poor with the stupid, and anything that's not part of higher metropolitan culture is guilty by association. The poor can't appreciate art, have no taste and can't take care of themselves. It's the nobleman despairing the existence of the common rabble. To me, every other problematic part that other posters have mentioned is just a representation of different aspects of this line of thought. The eugenics (the lower classes can't control themselves!), the comedy racism (man, can you believe this black guy is so outrageous!), you name it. It's all the "lower" cultures that are different from the white bread mainstream. They are of no value, deserve to be mocked and you should feel bad for liking them. This is how it is now and this is how it will be in the far future because culture doesn't change in essence; it just prospers or devolves.

Don't get me wrong, I would think a movie like rear end would be creatively bankrupt. But dammit, the people have the right to see it if they think it's funny!

Beavis and Buthead are still cool in my book, though.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I'm poor and can't appreciate fine art (because I don't have enough money to be able to launder it)

Mike Judge can be funny but pobody's nerfect.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Don't get me wrong, I would think a movie like rear end would be creatively bankrupt.

Funny thing is, Andy Warhol made an art film like that.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
mr fall down terror doesn't think idiocracy is political because he agrees with it 100% hth

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Yeah, I fukken warned y'all.

Every. loving. Time.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

A world where people are generally honest and forward-thinking and believe in genuine unselfish meritocracy to help solve their systemic problems?

gently caress, this is is supposed to be a dystopia?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

the_steve posted:

There are two wolves inside of you. They are both political.

wrong

one is political, the other is Gamer

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I mean, even if it wasn't made to advance a political agenda, the core premise of "the stupid, vulgar masses outbreed the common man and take over" sure as heck has a lot of loaded implications behind it.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

People read way too much into Idiocracy's time travel frame story when the actual plot was a scathing critique of the Bush administration. If anything the worst aged part of the film is it is far too kind to its Bush analogue.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

christmas boots posted:

To be clear I was making a joke. Because a plot point is literally that it gets outlawed in the 1950s triggering the main character's withdrawal symptoms.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Idiocracy had a really bizarre release - it was postponed for more than a year, released only to only a handful of theaters, had virtually no advertising or promotion other than a Brawndo drink tie-in that seemed more like a shambling zombified corpse of a campaign, and dumped to DVD after four months.

I remember torrenting it in the days after it premiered, not because I didn’t care to pay, but because I’d have to build the airfare to LA into the price.

It seemed very obviously like “Fox fulfilling their contractual obligations to Mike Judge so he wouldn’t torpedo KOTH.”

That rarity, combined with the film’s uncanny ability to seemingly cast the viewer as the protagonist of the story regardless of the viewer’s viewpoint, made it catnip for the Terminally Online of 2006.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

BioEnchanted posted:

To be clear I was making a joke. Because a plot point is literally that it gets outlawed in the 1950s triggering the main character's withdrawal symptoms.

So was I. I was deliberately misreading “when it takes place” as “when is it being watched”

I confused one poster and barely a nibble at that. not my finest work

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Phy posted:

There's a science fiction short story I read years before Idiocracy, "The Marching Morons", that starts from the same eugenicist premise, only that there's also a tiny cadre of incredibly overworked smart people who secretly run the world. And the guy from the past is a real estate con man who creates a plan to launch all the dolts of humanity into the sun by making them think they're winning free trips to Venus. At the end the remaining smart people launch past guy into the sun as well, because they're happy to use a Hitler but they have no wish to hang out with him.

If I remember correctly, that's where 'I'd buy that for a dollar ' comes from.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Idiocracy is a movie about how all the poor people are idiots and take in the lowest entertainment in life, and how you, the viewer, are much better than that. Then it finishes with the guy getting chased around by a dildo machine

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

pentyne posted:

Big thing about Mike Judge is he's at worst just a little milquetoast. He's not a raving lunatic in any direction and can kept his politics out of his work for the sake of making a joke.
Mike Judge's political opinions are right there on the surface of everything he's done. People often miss them in King of the Hill because it's a very well-written show, but Hank is the protagonist and the hero and you're supposed to agree with his conclusions (if not his initial stances).

i wouldn't read too much into the politics of it.
You literally can't read too much into the politics of it. It's all right there on the surface. The film literally says "Natural selection ... a process which had once favored the noblest traits of man, now began to favor ... a dumbing down ... it began to simply reward those who reproduced the most, and left the intelligent to become an endangered species." That isn't something you have to infer, the film's narrator actually says those words, out loud, in English. It's a pro-eugenics speech right out in the open. The narrator also says " the English language had deteriorated into a hybrid of hillbilly, valleygirl, inner-city slang and various grunts" in case you weren't quite sure who the "dumb" degenerates are.

Please give some examples.

Sobatchja Morda posted:

I deeply dislike Idiocracy because I feel the butt of the joke isn't stupidity, its the lower class and their 'vulgar' culture.
I mean, that's what "stupid" means. Or rather, it's a stand-in for whatever group you dislike or disagree with. There's no way to make "stupid people" the butt of the joke without it actually being about something else.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Samovar posted:

If I remember correctly, that's where 'I'd buy that for a dollar ' comes from.
And while we're at it, that quote has aged very poorly!

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Ziv Zulander posted:

Idiocracy is a movie about how all the poor people are idiots and take in the lowest entertainment in life, and how you, the viewer, are much better than that. Then it finishes with the guy getting chased around by a dildo machine

It is kind of ironic also because Beavis and butthead launched his career.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Martman posted:

And while we're at it, that quote has aged very poorly!
Surprisingly prescient fun fact, the "I'd buy that for a dollar" TV guy from Robocop gets elected president in the never-produced original Robocop 2 script (and also there's an unfilmed scene where it's revealed he's banging underage costars)

yes there's a Robocop wiki where I learned this why do you ask

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Mooseontheloose posted:

and remains the best thing he's ever done (although I do like KOTH)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mooseontheloose posted:

Beavis and Butthead invented, and perfected, the reaction video decades before youtube

Ironically now it's just about the only place to watch them