Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Doggles posted:

My girlfriend says "bird word" would not have been an acceptable alternative response for "hawk talk." :reject:
I would have taken it. I'm more annoyed by "Jargon" being a synonym for "Talk" than anything,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Doggles posted:

My girlfriend says "bird word" would not have been an acceptable alternative response for "hawk talk." :reject:

This was Mr Hookshots answer too (I said hawk talk). I think it’s acceptable.

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Did anyone catch the editing error in the Double Jeopardy round? Ryan buzzed in (at 14:44 here) and the other two have their final scores displayed. It must have been a reshoot, only they forgot to change the other scores before they did it.

I wondered why Amie's score was in white for a few seconds. Also weird that "Berlin" was the correct response to two questions in a row.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Groundskeeper Silly posted:

I wondered why Amie's score was in white for a few seconds. Also weird that "Berlin" was the correct response to two questions in a row.

Yeah, I thought that was weird, too, and figured I must have forgotten which category they were in. But wasn't that the Crosby category?

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, I thought that was weird, too, and figured I must have forgotten which category they were in. But wasn't that the Crosby category?

The first was the places that begin with B category, the second was the Crosby category. Different Berlins, but still feels sloppy.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

The first was the places that begin with B category, the second was the Crosby category. Different Berlins, but still feels sloppy.

Oh it was different categories? I only thought to really notice after the second Berlin answer. That makes a little more sense.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Jeopardy writers trying to get cute like crossword constructors

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Also, she seemed to pause for a minute to accept Penguins, because her card had "Pittsburgh Penguins" on it and Bialik is not well versed enough to know what's acceptable.

I noticed this as well. "Even when she has an answer sheet in front of her it takes her several seconds to confirm an obviously correct answer."

We're also back to contributing exactly nothing to the game outside of reading things. Where Ken was able to weigh in on the scores going into DJ or Final or compliment the players on their wagering strategy, all this one ever does is read the scores out loud. Yesterday she literally ended DJ with, "You have $X, you have $Y, and you have $Z. Our final Jeopardy category will be....this."

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Ken always seems more relaxed, like he’s just having a chat with people and playing a game. Mayim always seems more like she’s acting the entire time, which makes sense because she is an actor, but it really messes with the feel of the show. I hate it so much.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

HookShot posted:

This was Mr Hookshots answer too (I said hawk talk). I think it’s acceptable.

Not all birds are raptors is the thing I think

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I loved it the other night when that one contestant was on a roll with all things modern media (she was in a video game orchestra, I think), and when the final jeopardy category was revealed to be Disney characters, Ken's face lit up because he knew she had an advantage there.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

christmas boots posted:

Not all birds are raptors is the thing I think

No, but all raptors are birds.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I noticed this as well. "Even when she has an answer sheet in front of her it takes her several seconds to confirm an obviously correct answer."

We're also back to contributing exactly nothing to the game outside of reading things. Where Ken was able to weigh in on the scores going into DJ or Final or compliment the players on their wagering strategy, all this one ever does is read the scores out loud. Yesterday she literally ended DJ with, "You have $X, you have $Y, and you have $Z. Our final Jeopardy category will be....this."

She has the stilted, condescending delivery of a really bad teacher.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Tonight's episode is a snoozer, "rabbit" for "White Rabbit" should have triggered a "be more specific", and Mayim looks like a kid wearing her parents' clothes

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

CPColin posted:

"rabbit" for "White Rabbit" should have triggered a "be more specific"

There was a time not all that long ago when a fuckup of this proportion would have led to the contestant being brought back on a future date, but now it’s just par for the course.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

HookShot posted:

There was a time not all that long ago when a fuckup of this proportion would have led to the contestant being brought back on a future date, but now it’s just par for the course.

Tbf, if they bring back a contestant for every time Mayim messes up, that’s like one person a week easily.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
It feels like she's actually getting worse the more she hosts.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Doggles posted:

agreed, everybody knows that bird is the word

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
took the anytime test today for fun, 41/50 with some unlucky coin flips. feels tougher than previous years!

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
At one point, my antenna had a tiny hiccup and part of her face disappeared for a frame or two

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

For those who forgot and want something actually fun to watch tonight in terms of Jeopardy, in celebration of the anniversary their Youtube channel put up the unaired 1964 pilot episode with Art Fleming after the broadcast tonight ended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGeAosjw3S8

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tonight instead of Jeopardy, I became obsessed with finding my old MTG cards, I do not regret it, but I am surprised that I had two Oath of Lim-Dul cards

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I did the online test for JeoparDAY. I think I probably got in the 42-45 range. I liked it when it was easy to find the answers so you could know exactly how you did lol.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Lord Koth posted:

For those who forgot and want something actually fun to watch tonight in terms of Jeopardy, in celebration of the anniversary their Youtube channel put up the unaired 1964 pilot episode with Art Fleming after the broadcast tonight ended.

That Peanuts denial was so specific. Jesse was getting rightly frustrated by how little they were giving them as leads.

I'm surprised they're able to get so many right as vaguely worded as they are. They wanted the whole answer on the screen and many could have Cliff Clavin'd "People who have never been in my kitchen." It was much better in Double Jeopardy, but bit them on the rear end for Final Jeopardy. They should have accepted that.

Weird way of doing Daily Doubles. I kinda like it.

Surprised at how many I got right. Even if it was indeed Cassius Clay in 1964.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Lord Koth posted:

This is awesome. It's amazing this show got off the ground with the questions/answers gimmick. The way they did it was inherently flawed. I've always thought the gimmick was pointless on modern jeopardy with how the clues are written. It's interesting to see how they originally envisioned it.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Jackie rules. She reminds of somebody in both looks and voice and I don't know if it's the same person and I don't know who either person is.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
So many boomers on the Facebook comments are losing their minds at how Jackie is “too boring” while she racks up enormous wins and I am here for it.

“She should smile more”

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Lord Koth posted:

Doctor Dracula? The gently caress?

This is totally fascinating.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

Everything about this is absolutely baffling. Abraham Lincoln's mother's maiden name is a $30 Daily Double, but "She wrote Frankenstein" is a $50 triple stumper? And everything about the question format is so frustrating.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Lord Koth posted:

The channel also posted some interesting stuff in a pinned comment

quote:

Answering some of your questions about the pilot:

- Yes, Grace was introduced as "yesterday's champion," but since this was a pilot, there wasn't actually one! It was scripted to show what the game would be like with a returning champion.

- One noticeable thing is the size and clumsiness of the microphone that Art Fleming is wearing. It hangs down from his neck and is quite obvious. In later incarnations of the show, with Alex, the production experimented with Alex carrying a microphone, or wearing a less intrusive lav mike. But in Alex's first show, he carried a wand mike

- In the pilot and for many years on the Trebek version of the show, the contestant interviews were at the top of the show. At some point, the producers wanted to “get into the action" sooner, so we moved the contestant interview segment to after the first commercial break.

- The idea that contestants could ring in whenever they wanted to, even before the clue had been read by the host, worked fairly well with short clues such as the ones in this pilot. In 1984, when the show was brought back with Alex as the host, players were allowed to ring in whenever they wanted. What was quickly discovered was that not only did it make it hard for the viewers at home to play along against the contestants, but the “ring in” indicator and “times up countdown” would start and sometimes be off by the time the camera showed the contestants. It caused all sorts of confusion as to why Alex was calling on someone whose lights weren't on. The rule was changed right after Season 1, and remains to this date, that now the players cannot ring in until after the host has finished reading the clue.

- Contestants in this pilot had 10 seconds to answer after ringing in, according to Art. Today, it’s all based on how long the countdown lights take, which is approximately 5 seconds.

- In case you were wondering: the inflation rate in the U.S. between 1964 and today is 819.46%, or a total increase of $81.95. $10 in 1964 equals $91.95 today, $20 is $183.89 today, $30 is $275.85 today…

- The average clue in this game has about 5 words in it. Early seasons of the Trebek version, the clues tended to be shorter as well, but production realized that sometimes more words had to be added to "pin" the clue to only one correct response (or to “provide” clues or help to the contestants, or to make the clues more interesting). Now the clues can be 7 lines long with 19 characters per line.

- In the pilot, you'll notice the leader of the game gets to go first in the Double Jeopardy! round. In later versions of the show, the player in third place going into Double Jeopardy! was given the choice of their category and dollar amount....the thinking being, it might be an advantage to them to start with something they want, and maybe they can “catch up.”

- Yes, the players in the original version of Jeopardy! were seated during the game. In 1984, the decision was made that they might be more “assertive” in their game play if they were standing. Of course, any physical accommodations that a player might need are taken into consideration, and many players have played while seated.

- While we're not sure, it feels like the contestants may have been briefed to come up with incorrect responses to Final Jeopardy!. The obviously incorrect responses of William Penn, and the “not specific” answer of “famous monster" felt like a way for the production to show how Final Jeopardy! could play out in various scenarios. It’s also interesting that Art didn't "pay off" the Dracula response until well after the game play was finished.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Jeopardy! trivia posted:

- In the pilot and for many years on the Trebek version of the show, the contestant interviews were at the top of the show. At some point, the producers wanted to “get into the action" sooner, so we moved the contestant interview segment to after the first commercial break.

I actually like this format better than the current one, where the interviews happen after the first commercial break.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Jeopardy! posted:

- One noticeable thing is the size and clumsiness of the microphone that Art Fleming is wearing. It hangs down from his neck and is quite obvious.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Everything about this is absolutely baffling. Abraham Lincoln's mother's maiden name is a $30 Daily Double, but "She wrote Frankenstein" is a $50 triple stumper? And everything about the question format is so frustrating.

Big "Lone Ranger's nephew's horse" energy.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Zero One posted:

Big "Lone Ranger's nephew's horse" energy.

Fun fact: the Lone Ranger's nephew grows up to be the Green Hornet's father, and was a popular minor character in the Lone Ranger/Green Hornet shared radiotelegraphic universe.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

That was neatly weird. It shows the work they needed to do in clue writing. The contestants bounced around the board even then, at one point it faked out the camera man. I loved the booming voice out of nowhere telling that there's one minute left.

Darth Brooks fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 1, 2022

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I had the final by "raid at this establishment in 1969". And that's not a brag. That's SHOCK from two players on Jeopardy not having a loving clue. And the champion looking very uncomfortable when it was revealed it was a Gay Rights thing.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Zesty posted:

the champion looking very uncomfortable

I mean, to be fair,

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I actually like this format better than the current one, where the interviews happen after the first commercial break.

Easier to skip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Zesty posted:

I had the final by "raid at this establishment in 1969". And that's not a brag. That's SHOCK from two players on Jeopardy not having a loving clue. And the champion looking very uncomfortable when it was revealed it was a Gay Rights thing.

Got it because I remembered the kickline bit, but the name itself was on the tip of my tongue until the music ended.