Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is the Fire Giant's gimmick really that the perspective is broken and he's both two miles and six inches from you? What a lovely boss lol

e: I beat him second try but lol that it's really just "we took Bloodborne's broken camera and broke it more, that's the fight, gently caress you"

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Epic High Five posted:

Congrats on discovering the true secret to defeating a tough boss - complaining on the internet
I complained about Malenia a lot before success. I credit failing so much that I finally chose to use something other than my heavy giant crusher (which replaced my heavy hammer since the start of the game). I used... a cold giant crusher. And I was stunned to see what frostbite can do, 145 hours in!

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Good God I read all this poo poo and realize 30+ hours in I've barely connected with any of these systems.
Like I found a whip and thought "I remember these being cool for bleed/status, I wonder how to add elements to stuff permanently!" And I have zero clue where to even start

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

snoremac posted:

I complained about Malenia a lot before success. I credit failing so much that I finally chose to use something other than my heavy giant crusher (which replaced my heavy hammer since the start of the game). I used... a cold giant crusher. And I was stunned to see what frostbite can do, 145 hours in!

Yeah I was thrilled to finally find out what ashes of war could do on the only boss I had left to kill. Serves me right using the grafted blade for the whole game.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

snoremac posted:

Can the waterfowl dance be completely dodged? I could dodge the second and third phase fairly often rolling forward to her right. The first phase I never worked out.

Ye. Run from the first volley, dodge through her on the second, walk away from the third.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72_yLXmIJN4

Note: it's not nearly as easy to pull off as this video makes it look, but her start-up is slow enough that I've never had trouble getting away from the first round and could usually keep the second and third to only a few hits.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I ignored the summon ashes on my first playthrough. Which ones do I want to beef up for use in NG+?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

Ye. Run from the first volley, dodge through her on the second, walk away from the third.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72_yLXmIJN4

Note: it's not nearly as easy to pull off as this video makes it look, but her start-up is slow enough that I've never had trouble getting away from the first round and could usually keep the second and third to only a few hits.
Ah okay. I thought she'd just zipline to where you are before flurrying.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Good God I read all this poo poo and realize 30+ hours in I've barely connected with any of these systems.
Like I found a whip and thought "I remember these being cool for bleed/status, I wonder how to add elements to stuff permanently!" And I have zero clue where to even start

This video goes in depth on the finer points of how status effects scale - it's weird and not at all intuitive. https://youtu.be/iiRUWEe_q3Y

There are some other counterintuitive mechanics, especially with certain seal/staff scaling. Also split damage isn't quite as bad as it normally is until you get pretty heavily invested in one stat or another, especially given all the buffs that can get stacked up on fire/lightning affinity weapons with a mild faith investment. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm43EPO386E

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

snoremac posted:

I ignored the summon ashes on my first playthrough. Which ones do I want to beef up for use in NG+?

imo, Greatshield Soldiers or Tiche, but if you have the resources keep a few around and base them on the boss / area you're fighting.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

edit for someone else posted it first

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Did I miss the reason I ended up in tornado hell with the random damage monsters after igniting the kiln of the first flame?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Is the Fire Giant's gimmick really that the perspective is broken and he's both two miles and six inches from you? What a lovely boss lol

e: I beat him second try but lol that it's really just "we took Bloodborne's broken camera and broke it more, that's the fight, gently caress you"

when i fought him i ran up to his feet on horse and chopped a bit, then there was a cutscene i thought would change the fight up but just did more feet chops. one day giant enemies will figure out a wear to protect the only part they really need to

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

snoremac posted:

Black Knife Tiche: the best ash, in my opinion. Durable enough, with solid damage and amazing stagger potential.

Mimic Tear: still pretty dang good after the nerf. Won't solo fights anymore but they're still tanky and do decent damage.

Greatshield Soldiers: zero damage, but it's a bunch of dudes with great shields. Probably the best pure tar pit summon.

Redmane Knight Ogha: her greatbow will chain stagger many lower poise bosses. Pretty low damage, but for the fights where she works you could just go afk while she chips away between chaining knockdowns.

Boba Pearl posted:

You can parry it.

I'm extremely wrong on this.

The player version can be parried. I've seen a few cute clips of people parrying it followed by the invader just peacing out.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
The upgraded Stormhawk ash summon also works pretty well on Malenia; it can stagger her with it's hit and run fly-bys, in addition to it's small profile making it harder for her to hit.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Soldjars of Fortune, Land Squirts, and Miranda Sprouts.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Lore Stuff

I feel like a lot of people are over anthropomorphizing the Outer Gods. They're almost more concepts than entities with plans and ambition. Maybe I'm just overly negative on Marika, but almost everything seems to be poo poo because she and the other demigods are constantly cheating and injecting loopholes and hacks to the "source code" of the Golden Order. Stuff like Destined Death needs to be sealed away to maintain their immortality, but she also periodically unseals it to use as a weapon, leading to all kind of fucky stuff. The Greater Will doesn't seem to have a problem with Goldmask's purely mechanical Order because it's less interested in controlling everything directly more interested in the concept of Order being ascendant.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Latenna is a pretty underrated summon. She's different from most in that she can't really tank and literally won't move from where you summon her, but in exchange she'll rapid fire snipe and draw attention from whatever corner you plant her in. Against the slower bosses she's a death sentence as they'll waste 100% of their time trudging between her and you

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

7c Nickel posted:

Lore Stuff

I feel like a lot of people are over anthropomorphizing the Outer Gods. They're almost more concepts than entities with plans and ambition. Maybe I'm just overly negative on Marika, but almost everything seems to be poo poo because she and the other demigods are constantly cheating and injecting loopholes and hacks to the "source code" of the Golden Order. Stuff like Destined Death needs to be sealed away to maintain their immortality, but she also periodically unseals it to use as a weapon, leading to all kind of fucky stuff. The Greater Will doesn't seem to have a problem with Goldmask's purely mechanical Order because it's less interested in controlling everything directly more interested in the concept of Order being ascendant.

I don't think you're wrong. If they do have actual like, designs or intentions then it's something bigger than actually giving a poo poo about the tiny wastehole of the worlds they colonize, more or less. Basically I'd compare the outer gods to the players of a space 4x game or something: the Greater Will blasts the erd seed down on a suitable planet, it grows into a tree and I assume the elden beast style monsters from then on basically act as autonomous systems to keep that poo poo going. The Rot God on the other hand spells out its own designs; it's all about spreading highly adaptable life forms on other, likely colonized, worlds and taking over through some parasitic bullshit. The others are more of a mystery, but I don't think they actually give that much of a personal investment into anything that goes on, except when it starts to screw up whatever systems are put in place that they put there.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

bewilderment posted:

I'm 90% sure they're (other than Lionel) based on player builds who have at some point hugged Fia, but with their damage and health scaled down.

That's why some will be weirdly oppressive and others will spend 30 seconds cycling their prebuffs and never actually start attacking.

I’m sure the Knights of the Great Jar are based on player builds as well. When I busted through them it was pre-patch and there were so many Moonveils. Guessing if I tried now it’d be nothing but bleed builds.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Re: ashes, I think a pretty underrated one is the Crystalian - it retains the same "absurdly high damage resistance to everything but strike until it's staggered" that the boss versions do, making it incredibly tanky, and it can actually dish out a lot of damage when it does the jumping spinning attack if it's positioned well. It's great against bosses that lay down a bunch of damaging crap on the ground that normally eat summons up because they don't know not to stand in it, since it'll only tick them for like 10 damage or so.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Real Cool Catfish posted:

I’m sure the Knights of the Great Jar are based on player builds as well. When I busted through them it was pre-patch and there were so many Moonveils. Guessing if I tried now it’d be nothing but bleed builds.

Yeah I did it the other day and it was 3 rivers of blood dudes in a row.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

crystal summon was kinda funny on Mr. Bloodflame Spammer boss. good luck bleeding a rock dipshit

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

7c Nickel posted:

Lore Stuff

The issue I have there is that the Greater Will doesn't really have a "problem" with you marching in and enforcing the status quo Age of Fracture where exactly zero things are "fixed", either, and you still kill the Elden Beast for the Age of Order. Plus, it means that Marika setting up the Tarnished to come back and become Elden Lord long before the Shattering, banishing people who prophesize that the Erdtree will be burned down (i.e. adding them to the rank of the Tarnished), and deliberately setting up her "punishment" by Shattering the Elden Ring herself - it's all just done arbitrarily, like a dog. She doesn't periodically unseal Destined Death, either - the first time it is used since its original sealing, it's stolen (regardless of Marika's overt hand in the affair), and directly afterwards the Shattering happenings and Marika is confined inside the Erdtree. That doesn't even touch on Melina's role as Kindling Maiden assuming she is indeed Marika's daughter, since that also means that Marika planned to torch the Erdtree, or the possibility that the Frenzied Flame is part of the Greater Will, even as a concept, which is in opposition to simply restoring the Lands Between.

The Greater Will might not be strictly an entity with any elaborate plans, but Marika has some unspoken ambition and pretty much engineered the entire plot to begin with, and I feel like she had plans.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Cowcaster posted:

this would be a good experiment starting point actually, you should set your colossal weapons to heavy and your katanas to keen and report back if they’ve gained or lost attack rating

Stuff like the cross naginata were better keen than quality when I was at 40-50 str and 50-60 dex. Once both stats were between 55-60 quality began to take the lead. These were minor like 5-10 damagd advantages. Until getting close to the soft cap whether I had both quality was always losing. That said quality stat distribution does get you bigger windows of def boosts, so that might be the trade, you're a little more tanky than someone who went pure str or dex.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

What the hell happen to my game I wonder. Played for three weeks and no issues, suddenly started hiccuping and fps dropping to almost zero intermittently.

Only started happening after a restart to reset my network switch.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

Greatshield Soldiers: zero damage, but it's a bunch of dudes with great shields. Probably the best pure tar pit summon.

A thing about them is if they're not being engaged they throw cold pots. If you're wielding a cold weapon you get the frozen status very quickly and often.

Adding to the list, very early on the Skeletal Militia Men are very good. Unless the boss gets lucky with an aoe after he drops them they just get up again.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

There's no stakes of Marika in the academy because rennala does not like Marika.

Imagine putting a monument to the girl who stole your man in your university. Couldn't be Rennala.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I'm trying to digest and decipher some of the lore implications around NPCs and major characters in this game, and I keep running into dead ends on stuff like "so how did a petite blind lady make it the gently caress down here then if it took me twenty times and I can see, this is all bullshit"

Is the Vaati video out yet

enojy fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 31, 2022

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Gologle posted:

Imagine putting a monument to the girl who stole your man in your university. Couldn't be Rennala.

But what if that girl was your man?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

There's clearly some kind of lore-power that comes from sacrificing your own hand (Godrick and Maliketh both have cutscenes partway through the fight where they cut off/destroy their hand to power up) but what I want to know is why the Fire Giant sacrifices feet instead.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

enojy posted:

I'm trying to digest and decipher some of the lore implications around NPCs and major characters in this game, and I keep running into dead ends on stuff like "so how did a petite blind lady make it the gently caress down here then if it took me twenty times and I can see, this is all bullshit"

simple

https://twitter.com/di_do_di_do/status/1508401551240355842?t=xzZjCpR5yv85f_kzPwrnwQ&s=19

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Took 2 tries to beat the fire giant. That fight is completely trivialized by using torrent to whip his ankles.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

deep dish peat moss posted:

There's clearly some kind of lore-power that comes from sacrificing your own hand (Godrick and Maliketh both have cutscenes partway through the fight where they cut off/destroy their hand to power up) but what I want to know is why the Fire Giant sacrifices feet instead.

Because I whipped his leg so hard it was dead weight.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I've spent the last two days poking my head into various places I've bypassed, or forgotten about, or didn't know existed to get as much stuff as I can before going to ng+

I was looking into what I might want to do that as an overpowered caster and learned about 3 (at least) bosses and locations. It's been a month plus and I'm still able to be shocked by this games scope

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Blue Raider posted:

Because I whipped his leg so hard it was dead weight.

He's the reverse Last Giant lol

Instead of no faces he has two
Instead of tearing off arms he tears off legs
Instead of not being the last giant he's the last giant

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

deep dish peat moss posted:

If the Giants in Dark Souls 2 are of any indication, then I think Giants are down for whatever when it comes to ripping off and re-using body parts as weapons. The Last Giant rips one arm off and uses the other to swing it around at you like a bat.

There's also a (I think) unique cutscene for the phase transition if you get him to fall a distance and break his leg a la Ceaseless Discharge, rather than chipping away at the leg yourself.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

kazil posted:

But what if that girl was your man?

Marika is into some next level kinky poo poo, that's the real background lore reason for the game.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Are there enough Walking Mausoleums in the game to dupe every Remembrance, or do I need to pick and choose?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bold Robot posted:

Are there enough Walking Mausoleums in the game to dupe every Remembrance, or do I need to pick and choose?

Pick and choose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

On the plus side I don't think the boss souls are related to the cheevos about spells or weapons collected so go with what's good