Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Just Cause 3 would be fun if they didn't deliberately make the wingsuit awful. It has two features intended to make it suck : it can't pitch up for poo poo, and it slows you to a crawl any time you fly near anything, so it actively punishes skillful traversal.

Avalanche Studios are complete hacks who accidentally made one fun game in Just Cause 2, and then went right back to producing absolute garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

K8.0 posted:

Just Cause 3 would be fun if they didn't deliberately make the wingsuit awful. It has two features intended to make it suck : it can't pitch up for poo poo, and it slows you to a crawl any time you fly near anything, so it actively punishes skillful traversal.

Avalanche Studios are complete hacks who accidentally made one fun game in Just Cause 2, and then went right back to producing absolute garbage.

Just Cause 3 definitely could've been better but definitely not for the reasons you're describing.

You can freely switch between wingsuit/parachute/grappling hook, if one of the traversal methods doesn't do what you want to do, press one button and switch to another. Wingsuit is really useful for fast horizontal travel outside of grappling hook range or when you need to move not in a straight line.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

I was set to legitimately get the "don't play this game for five years" achievement but it didn't pop; am still mildly cross about it :mad:

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

Apparently I'm the only person who actually liked all of Death Stranding.

It's an incredible game and the fact that simple traversal has a ton of mechanical depth to it is really ingenious.

You're not the only one. I loved every second of it and consider it in my top 3 favorite games ever. It felt like a 40+ hour long movie that I couldn't stop watching

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
it's a very polarizing game and has about as many people that absolutely loved it as absolutely hated it

personally I didn't like it much, mostly because I thought the story was incredibly lame and the mission quality was very, very low. comparing it to snowrunner is unfair because I loved that game and spent dozens and dozens of hours on it. but it knew better than to have a story and just set you loose to learn how to conquer terrain and perform various tasks

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

to me the story is incredibly stupid garbage BUT it's also fun in its own way to watch Kojima's auteuristic* descent into madness, at least once. land of contrasts etc (ed: it helps that skipping cutscenes seems more available in the director's cut - I don't remember being able to skip the truck ride with Igor in the beginning in the original release, for example)

also i enjoy Troy Baker being, well, Troy Baker :v: Mads Mikkelsen, too, at least towards the end

*that a word? is now!

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 30, 2022

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

now imagining some kind of snowrunner/death stranding crossover where i have to ram BTs with an Azov

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Actually the story is great and bonkers and I have never felt so completely captivated as when I sat with my mouth open staring at the title drop about, what, half an hour in. I should say I'd never played a Kojima game before and I just had no drat idea what I was in for.

I love my jar child.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

:toot::toot:

4/27, too. Of course.

Now that Elden ring is out, just need Silksong to actually be announced to complete the trifecta of games I've been patiently waiting for.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Question that has been bothering me for a while; years actually but I'm just fed up with it today. :v: :argh:
This might be a general windows annoyance but I have tried plenty of google-fu and never quite figured out an answer.

Sometimes when I close a game it resets where my windows/programs are and their sizes. I know this is common with running non-native resolutions but lately it has been doing it even for games running on the same resolution as my monitor, even when running borderless-windowed. Examples recently: Just Cause 3, AC: Origins, Shatter, Prison architest.

Before opening a game:
Steam and other programs properly sized to my liking.

After closing a game giving me this issue:
Everything bunched up and resized and looking like rear end.

How can I either prevent that or somehow "save" those window/program locations and sizes so I can easily restore them to my liking?

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner
Do you have an NVIDIA card and have DLDSR enabled? Even using native resolution that happened to me if it was enabled, but with the stupider result of it moving all of my windows onto a different monitor and then off screen entirely.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

I heard a bunch of people praising Tunic, but I ALSO heard a lot of people comparing it and the puzzles to Fez, which is a huge red flag for me. Fez had a bunch of absolute bullshit puzzles with stuff like "convert a background image into a QR code and read it with your smartphone" (of course, I didn't have a smartphone, oops game uncompletable), and of course this classic one: (big fez puzzle spoilers if you care)

But then I heard other people saying Tunic was significantly easier than La-Mulana, which doesn't track at all- La-Mulana's puzzles were only occasionally obtuse, to me. Anybody have any insight into this?

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

John Lee posted:

But then I heard other people saying Tunic was significantly easier than La-Mulana, which doesn't track at all- La-Mulana's puzzles were only occasionally obtuse, to me. Anybody have any insight into this?
It's a mix. Most of the puzzles are somewhere between your average Zelda and the easier La Mulana ones, and the more obscure ones are for secrets and are closer to FEZ's post-game puzzles but I'd argue nowhere near as frustrating.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

That one Fez puzzle was incredibly obscure, but it was also completely optional with no content gated behind it, so I can't be that mad about it

I doubt the developers intended any single player to figure it out, it was meant to be something for the community as a whole to figure out together

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
People are also probably remembering the original launch of La Mulana, not the Steam rerelease which I'm told had a lot of bullshit cut out. Or maybe the steam version was hated by it's own merits! I'm not gonna go find out for myself.

That puzzle you're quoting there is the infamous Black Monolith, which was literally never solved properly and was only brute-strengthed via crowdsourcing; the 'solution' is just consensus on a "OK sure I guess".

98% of the puzzles in Fez are a delight and game itself was well received, even the 'postgame' rotational ones. I'd be like saying "I'd never play a game that's being compared to Zelda; Zelda2: The Adventure of Link was godawful and who'd want to play that?" - that's not what people meant by the comparison. People are remembering the good bits, to both game's credit.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

The Gripper posted:

It's a mix. Most of the puzzles are somewhere between your average Zelda and the easier La Mulana ones, and the more obscure ones are for secrets and are closer to FEZ's post-game puzzles but I'd argue nowhere near as frustrating.

Other than the big last one, I loved its puzzles. Some goons liked the big last puzzle too. I guess it goes back to how fond you are of picking up a piece of paper and sketching things down.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

John Lee posted:

I heard a bunch of people praising Tunic, but I ALSO heard a lot of people comparing it and the puzzles to Fez, which is a huge red flag for me. Fez had a bunch of absolute bullshit puzzles with stuff like "convert a background image into a QR code and read it with your smartphone" (of course, I didn't have a smartphone, oops game uncompletable), and of course this classic one: (big fez puzzle spoilers if you care)

that stuff is cool to me. i like a dev just fuckin' goin for it

it's also not required for completion

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

John Lee posted:

i haven't played Fez but just looking at that I can tell you the Big Puzzle in TUNIC is nowhere near that degree of obtuse bullshit

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Anyone else trying out Weird West tomorrow? I think I read it’ll be on Gamepass.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Why is the DEATH STRANDING DIRECTOR'S CUT a completely separate download and not a patch/update????? uuuggggh fine

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Propaganda Hour posted:

Why is the DEATH STRANDING DIRECTOR'S CUT a completely separate download and not a patch/update????? uuuggggh fine

because the director's cut breaks your save files and requires you to export the save from in-game to transfer it to DC. suddenly updating the game and breaking every single person's saves would be a very bad idea imo.

why does it break saves? who knows, game development is hard and it was likely far more of a hassle to fix that than just make a separate client and make an export functionality.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Anno posted:

Anyone else trying out Weird West tomorrow? I think I read it’ll be on Gamepass.

poo poo I forgot this is out tomorrow and I blew my gaming budget for this paycheck on tiny Tina :negative:

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Mar 31, 2022

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ok, here's part 2 of my recap of the MIX showcase, I mean I'm sure there's some article that recaps it but w/e. i'm doing it too.

RPG/Tactics

Lords of Ravage (Q4 2022)

You play as the evil overlord and recruit followers to fight with you in turn-based combat. The visuals, honestly, look like they took the wrong lessons from Bravely Default, taking what was already a brown and bloomy aesthetic and cranking it up to 11.

Kaiju Wars (April 28th) (Demo Available)

Lookit that PC98 dithering, hell yeah. A turn based strategy game about warding off kaiju-- you have no real chance to defeat them, so you have to build things as fodder, slow the monster down with meat shields, and deploy mechas to protect the civilians. Seems pretty cool.

Fabular: Once Upon a Spacetime (2022)

Not sure how to describe this one, it's a roguelike but the combat is.. weird, it kind of gives me Hammerfight vibes. There's a whole feudal space knight thing going on so the setting is interesting.

Vanaris Tactics (TBA) (Demo Available)

Strongly inspired by FF Tactics, about refugees fleeing their home country (I'd say the timing is unfortunate, but there hasn't really been a FORTUNATE timing for a story like this in the past decade....). Any game that compares itself to FFT usually falls short, so there'll be a lot of scrutiny about this one.

Cantata (May 12th, Early Access)

PCGamesN described this as a combination of Advance Wars and Factorio which is an interesting mix. I like the visuals too, reminds me of Hyper Light Drifter but in a whole different genre. The UI needs a little polishing, pretty basic fonts, but I assume that'll get spruced up over the EA period.

Absolute Tactics: Daughters of Mercy (TBA) (Demo Available)

AT seems to go for a more HD drawing look-- still cutout animation, but I think the look can work and be pulled off. Says it has 21 different classes, dual-classing, and 'war' levels that have dozens of units on-field.

Out There: Oceans of Time (May 26th)

I've not played Out There but this is.. another one. Okay I can't pretend to hype myself up for all of these. I actually don't know how many people played the original or the sigma one. But... uh.... here it is. lol

Fire Commander (TBA)

I was kind of more excited about this one when I thought it was gonna be a turn-based firefighting strategy game, like XCOM meets Backdraft... but I guess it's an RTS. This is by the dev of Liberated and Mad Age & This Guy (a Bomberman steampunk game). Not sure what to make of it.

Shadow's Light (2023)

When I saw the trailer for this I thought it was a Cyanide Studios game but no, it's someone else. Not super inspiring, sort of generic fantasy where you either play as knights/mages or orcs/demons.

Zephon (Late 2022)

A post-apoc 4X game by the dev of Warhammer 40K: Gladius, one of the few WH games that I've seen to have an actual Very Positive rating, so I guess this might be decent. It looks like they're trying to do a 'hosed humanity' setting like a souls, with eldritch monsters, mutated animals, and haywire robots.

Gatewalkers (TBA)

Co-op ARPG with survival elements where you travel to different procgen worlds. Apparently skills are on items equipped rather than learned, so there are no proper classes.

Shooters & Horror

Mothergunship: Forge (June)

Departing from the previous two games, Forge is a VR shooting gallery, but with the same general vibes, where you build impossible guns via a socket system and fight robots. Will have seated/stationary mode and standing/free movement modes.

Slaycation: Paradise (TBA)

Twin-stick roguelite shooter with tower defense elements set in an apocalyptic summer resort.

Project Warlock II (June, Early Access)

While Project Warlock took on Wolfenstein/DOOM, Warlock II takes on Quake with chunky pre-rendered enemies and wider levels.

Turbo Overkill (April 22, Early Access)

Cyberpunk Duke Nukem 3D with wallrunning. No, I don't know why every boomer shooter is releasing in early access, but size of team probably plays a part in that. Maybe these publishers should put up more money up front though??

Scathe (TBA) (Demo Available)

I was not a fan of this one when I tried it, but the demo is still live so you can give it a go. The hook of this one is it's a co-op labyrinth shooter.

Simulacra 3 (TBA)

Another in the small genre of "explore someone's cellphone" games, Simulacra is known most for also having FMV acting and a horror bent. They're fun little games and usually not too expensive.

Dark Fracture (TBA)

Yet another first person "psychological" horror game where everything is Giger and Lovecraft. Can we please find other influences for horror games??

FOBIA (TBA) (Demo Available)

In a rarity, we have a horror game inspired by.. RE7, kinda. I mean it's not H.P/Giger!! You explore a hosed hotel with a time-travel camera.

Roguelites

Chenso Club (Spring)

Action platformer roguelite with multiple playable characters... they call it a "platform brawler" but I doubt it actually controls like Smash, it didn't really have that feel from the trailer.

Demon's Mirror (2022)

Slay the Spire with Dungeon Raid mechanics. A cool mix but the dev's only other game is a very mobile-looking Serious Sam autorunner so I'm a little wary (also you didn't have to bite STS's UI that hard!)

Mechajammer: The Refracted Update (out)

Looks like a content update that also fixes a lot of issues people were having with the game at launch. The game still has Mixed reviews but we'll see if this turns things around. I do think it's a very pretty looking game.

AK-xolotl (TBA)

Twin-stick shooter from the developer of Aeon Drive. You're an axolotl with guns. The game has a kickstarter that hasn't launched yet, so, this one will probably be a while before it releases.

Oaken (May 3rd, Early Access)

Looks like a more all-ages simplified roguelite experience, with turn based battles on a hex grid.

Serial Cleaners (2022)

The sequel to Serial Cleaner brings in additional characters, a larger budget, a shift from 2D to 3D, and levels inspired by 90s cinema. Not sure why this was in the roguelite section as the levels are hand crafted.

Finale

XEL (Q2 2022)

Looks like a hack-and-slash Zeldy game on an alien planet. Obviously not going to knock Tunic or Death's Door off their thrones but could still be neat.

The Garden Path (2022)

Life sim akin to Animal Crossing with real-time clock, gardening, fishing, trading, and makin' friends.

The Tale of Bistun (Spring 2022)

A fast paced hack and slash story game set on a mountain with an amnesiac stone cutter for a protagonist, based on Persian mythology.

Silt (Spring 2022)

An undersea game with art by Mr. Mead where you can possess sea creatures to navigate the world and solve puzzles.

A Space for the Unbound (2022)

Beautiful looking point n click adventure that has been in development for some time, by the studio behind When the Past Was Around.

Smalland (TBA, Early Access)

I guess Grounded has competition. Here's a little bug world, but it's more quest-oriented than Obsidian's game. The weird thing is the developer is listed as Merge Games, who usually is just a publisher and distributor, so either they have an in-house team working on this, or someone's not getting credited....

---

Okay, sorry for the long post, but that covers it all. There were some games in the showcase that have already released (Expedition Zero) or release tomorrow (Princess Farmer) so I didn't bother with those.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Thanks for the Tunic words, I'll probably play it before long.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

started playing Utawarerumono, picked up the entire collection because I've been thinking about it for 2 years or so now

so far so good, but a little concerning how badly the protag is wanting to pet the DogGirls

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

The 7th Guest posted:

Zephon (Late 2022)
A post-apoc 4X game by the dev of Warhammer 40K: Gladius, one of the few WH games that I've seen to have an actual Very Positive rating, so I guess this might be decent. It looks like they're trying to do a 'hosed humanity' setting like a souls, with eldritch monsters, mutated animals, and haywire robots.

Heyyy, these guys also made another 4x game that was released just before Civ:BE and is compared faborably to it (very low bar, I know). I was wondering if it'd be worth revisiting Gladius if it didn't have GW's stamp of shoddyness on it, and I think they just might be marketing themselves around that:

"...built on Proxy’s unique tactical combat system. Guide survivors through a grimdark future..."

Pretty much on the nose isn't it? Also thanks for doing these huge effortposts, it's a real service.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Anno posted:

I was going to buy it until I saw it was on Gamepass. I'm really looking forward to it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Weird West is loving great and it absolutely picked up the mantle that Arkane Studios dropped with Deathloop.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Jack Trades posted:

Weird West is loving great and it absolutely picked up the mantle that Arkane Studios dropped with Deathloop.

I thought it wasn't out until tomorrow?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Jack Trades posted:

Daethloop owned though

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

A number of new tactics games being released soon? Hell yeah!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

I thought it wasn't out until tomorrow?

You're correct.

SirSamVimes posted:

Daethloop owned though

I can understand why people would enjoy it but Dishonored 0.5: Majora's Mask absolutely did not deliver on the signature immersive sim elements that Arkane were known for. Probably because all the people that gave a poo poo about preserving the Looking Glass legacy left Arkane and are now working at WolfEye Studios, that are making Weird West.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Jack Trades posted:

You're correct.

Did you get an early or review copy then? I mean, I am interested in the game too.

Edit: Was there a demo I missed?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I am intrigued at how an immersive sim ARPG could even work.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Good thing I read this thread, because I had no loving idea Wild West was so close to release (as in, it releases today :v:). Will definitely check it out.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The Gripper posted:

Do you have an NVIDIA card and have DLDSR enabled? Even using native resolution that happened to me if it was enabled, but with the stupider result of it moving all of my windows onto a different monitor and then off screen entirely.

Yes and maybe? No way to save/lock my positions with an application or something ?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Jack Trades posted:

You're correct.

I can understand why people would enjoy it but Dishonored 0.5: Majora's Mask absolutely did not deliver on the signature immersive sim elements that Arkane were known for.
Sure, it's immersive-sim-lite, but at least it's an immersive sim. Not exactly many of those out there.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Hwurmp posted:

current good games on GamePass include, but are not necessarily limited to:

Paradise Killer
Tunic
Zero Escape: The Nonary Games
Far: Changing Tides
A Plague Tale: Innocence
AI: The Somnium Files
Alien: Isolation
Bug Fables
Carrion
Command & Conquer Remastered
Dead Space
Deep Rock Galactic
Dishonored
Donut County
Doom
Dragon Quest Builders 2
Firewatch
Full Throttle
Gorogoa
Grim Fandango
Hades
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
Hitman
Hollow Knight
Limbo
Mind Scanners
Outer Wilds
Prey
Project Wingman
Psychonauts
Stardew Valley
Subnautica
Superhot
Supraland
Morrowind
The Riftbreaker
Titanfall 2
Undertale
What Remains of Edith Finch
Yakuza

Thanks so much! Everything that I don't already own I'm already interested in, with only three exceptions: Tunic, Bug Fables, and Mind Scanners, because I hadn't heard of them...but they look great!

Also quoting this so that I can find it easily again. Will make my way to the XBox thread too whee

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

RE: Tunic

The more I play souls-like games the more I realize the genre is not for me. I understand people like them but why mix the experience of "getting lost" with "when you die you have to backtrack multiple screens"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

lunar detritus posted:

RE: Tunic

The more I play souls-like games the more I realize the genre is not for me. I understand people like them but why mix the experience of "getting lost" with "when you die you have to backtrack multiple screens"

:same:

Tunic has a god mode so you can just play it like Fez But With Killing Monsters Sometimes, and it's great