Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Lol who would try to get up on Bomani like that

You got to know he has time for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Kansas needs to remember VCU right now and not let it happen again.

https://twitter.com/jessenewell/status/1507786932377554953

kiimo fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 27, 2022

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/SBN_Ricky/status/1508852621637042176?s=20&t=zH6fJSvDSZnECanIOfdfQA

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I've been making Gradey Dick jokes for like nearly two years now they're all going to be stale by the time the rest of the country hears his name

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

kiimo posted:

I've been making Gradey Dick jokes for like nearly two years now they're all going to be stale by the time the rest of the country hears his name

think there'll be a market so long as he continues to look like the star of a Dexter prequel

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

At least he's not going to Duke

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Aaaaand Holloway is already gone from St. Peter's. At least Seton Hall makes sense

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Seton Hall almost feels a little low considering Holloway's performance. I mean, Shaka Smart got a Texas job.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Seton Hall was going to hire Holloway even before the tourney started

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

Probably Magic posted:

Seton Hall almost feels a little low considering Holloway's performance. I mean, Shaka Smart got a Texas job.

Their situations aren't even remotely similar lmao

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Shaka had 2-3 good runs in the tournament before Texas hired him didn’t he?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Bird in a Blender posted:

Shaka had 2-3 good runs in the tournament before Texas hired him didn’t he?

he did and he was coming off a run where he sent guys to the nba 2 or 3 years in a row while having a ~*system*~ (that top recruits were unwilling to run)

also he bailed for texas like four years after the cinderella run

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Poque posted:

Aaaaand Holloway is already gone from St. Peter's. At least Seton Hall makes sense

It's where he went to college, so loving wholesome poo poo like this rules harder than the usual "low-level coach makes NCAA run, cashes out with bigger school":

https://twitter.com/MarchMadnessMBB/status/1509605964806164520

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Mike_V posted:

Which brings me to my main question: Have we seen any NIL deals for basketball like we have with football? It seems like hoops would be way better bang for your buck if you're a rich rear end in a top hat looking to bring kids into your alma mater

After losing Trevon Brazile to Arkansas, I was reading that some major family (I have to assume the Waltons?) is bankrolling Arkansas' NIL program so I guess the Hogs are gonna be at the top of NCAABB for a while.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Huh, well Mizzou is not the most awkward new job to walk into.

https://twitter.com/BrodyAMiller/status/1509960178501791751

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Sounds like VT 4 Justyn Mutts is signing an NIL deal today and returning for his COVID year next year, huge news for the Hokies.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Nur_Neerg posted:

Sounds like VT 4 Justyn Mutts is signing an NIL deal today and returning for his COVID year next year, huge news for the Hokies.

I hope this isn't an April Fools thing :ohdear:

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

Jose Valasquez posted:

I hope this isn't an April Fools thing :ohdear:

It's from the basketball dude on 247, can't imagine; he's been saying for a while VT's working on getting enough NIL together for both Aluma and Mutts to get them back.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

Huh, well Mizzou is not the most awkward new job to walk into.

https://twitter.com/BrodyAMiller/status/1509960178501791751

Ouch. That program is going to be in the dumps for a while.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Thad Matta will be back at Butler next season as head coach

https://butlersports.com/news/2022/4/3/mens-basketball-thad-matta-returns-to-the-sidelines-to-lead-butler-mens-basketball-program.aspx

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
How common is it for teams to skip the handshake line?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It’s not common. It’s pretty much a move to show you’re a sore loser.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
I was tought from a young age to spit on my hand before shaking hands so I can't blame them.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

I hope he does well. He's a helluva coach/ recruiter when his back isn't hosed.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1511018644565893125?s=20&t=VDcKHx38gDU2HlKgnigUIg

He's been next to Izzo forever, I assumed he was coach in waiting.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

He may still be, and this is his chance to show he can be a head coach before going to MSU. Western Michigan seems like a poor choice to go to though. They have been not good for a long time, and the MAC is a pretty bad basketball conference.

Maybe he just got sick of being behind Izzo and this was his only chance to be a head coach.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Bird in a Blender posted:

He may still be, and this is his chance to show he can be a head coach before going to MSU. Western Michigan seems like a poor choice to go to though. They have been not good for a long time, and the MAC is a pretty bad basketball conference.

Maybe he just got sick of being behind Izzo and this was his only chance to be a head coach.

Yeah seems like a hard job. Wonder if he has a shot at poaching some recruits from Izzo. There are always key guys from west Michigan on his teams.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
It's interesting because everyone's assumed that the Western Michigan HC position would be Saddi Washington's if he wanted it. Saddi has been an assistant coach at Michigan for half of forever, and went to Western Michigan, but he has very clearly passed up that job several times.

He's either happy at Michigan, or doesn't want his first HC gig to be at a low/mid-major project.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Anyone with promise can get a better gig than WMU. Unless you’re a magician, it’s likely to be a dead end that will get you fired in 4-5 years and back to the assistant ranks.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

Part of the NIL deals to try to keep Justyn Mutts at VT for his COVID year is a poster of him... Posterizing Paolo Banchero in the ACC championship game. Signed copy ordered :D

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Supposedly this is the 2023 Maui Invitational field:

Gonzaga
Kansas
Marquette
Purdue
Syracuse
Tennessee
UCLA
Chaminade

If it is, that's pretty stacked.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Chaminade?

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

They host so they get a spot every year. They've pulled off a few upsets too.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

PotatoJudge posted:

They host so they get a spot every year. They've pulled off a few upsets too.

Most famously Ralph Sampson's Virginia team. I dunno how a DII athletic department in Hawaii even functions though.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/MagicJohnson/status/1511353848484483077?s=20&t=CUzQHymnJuksq5CmwuGmmw

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Henchman of Santa posted:

I dunno how a DII athletic department in Hawaii even functions though.

I'd imagine the sponsorships and TV contract for the invitational cover a whole lot of their operating budget.

Generally also they bundle all the in-conference road trips to minimize the number of flights to the mainland, and they don't do out-of-conference road trips hardly ever because schools want to come play them for the mini-vacation and for the schedule credit.

(Beyond that Chaminade is a pretty remarkably low-rent place, the buildings are nice enough but the dorms are very rudimentary.)

elentar fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 5, 2022

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

elentar posted:

I'd imagine the sponsorships and TV contract for the invitational cover a whole lot of their operating budget.

Ralph Sampson made their whole life. Chaminade had been considering a name change in 1982 to the University of Honolulu.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Oscar Tshiebwe wins the Wooden award and becomes the first unanimous player of the year in UK history. Anthony Davis apparently lost one of the awards to Draymond Green in 2012.

Oscar reportedly wants to come back, but there may be some issues with NIL and being on a student visa that prevents him working. There are lawyers trying to work some kind of loophole that woul let him get NIL deals without breaking federal law, and if that works out be will come back. Otherwise he'll have to go pro to make any money, which is needed to get his mom to the US. Surprisingly it's not the NCAA loving a kid over this time.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Steve Lavin landed at UC San Diego, strong retirement hire vibe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

VT 2/3 Naheim Alleyne to the portal; good player, good but not great shooter, very streaky. Would love to have him on roster, but he was going from starter to third at his position for the upcoming season, so makes sense for both parties.

Also had a 5, John Ojiako, go into the portal. Big dude, athletic, but had some injury issues and hasn't been playing basketball too long. Imagine he'll spend his last two years at a slightly lower level, hopefully as a starter, great kid.