Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
someone in the thread said it was taped in december

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

MassRafTer posted:

He was a really lovely worker because he didn't understand how to work matches people wanted to see. Not just structure, but his actual stuff looked extremely bad.
Yeah, if Beau James were in excellent physical shape he'd still be Beau James. And it would only make him less funny.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah, if Beau James were in excellent physical shape he'd still be Beau James. And it would only make him less funny.

The Armbeau is perhaps better than the Jarrett Kickout.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

There’s been a small effort to rehabilitate Lex Luger as a worker, mostly just in podcasts, but I’m down with that because Luger’s stuff with Sting and his title chase/win against Hollywood Hogan genuinely ruled. I loved his weird tweener run with Jimmy Hart too. The Narcissist was a gimmick tailor-made for someone like Luger, and even though he went over much better guys I felt like they used him well as a heel. He was never a great hand in the ring but he could conjure up some fire when it mattered.

Jeff Jarrett will get no such redemption. WCW was my favorite growing up, and while he wasn’t the cause, I’ll always associate him with its downfall. They pushed his bland heatless rear end so much and it sucked so bad. He was loving worthless. I would have rather seen Shane Douglas or any other turd in that spot over him. Total go-away heat. I didn’t even see his WWF stuff but it doesn’t sound any better

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TheHoosier posted:

There’s been a small effort to rehabilitate Lex Luger as a worker, mostly just in podcasts, but I’m down with that because Luger’s stuff with Sting and his title chase/win against Hollywood Hogan genuinely ruled. I loved his weird tweener run with Jimmy Hart too. The Narcissist was a gimmick tailor-made for someone like Luger, and even though he went over much better guys I felt like they used him well as a heel. He was never a great hand in the ring but he could conjure up some fire when it mattered.

Jeff Jarrett will get no such redemption. WCW was my favorite growing up, and while he wasn’t the cause, I’ll always associate him with its downfall. They pushed his bland heatless rear end so much and it sucked so bad. He was loving worthless. I would have rather seen Shane Douglas or any other turd in that spot over him. Total go-away heat. I didn’t even see his WWF stuff but it doesn’t sound any better

Lex is an easy go to be realistic about too. Early on he had a lot more to offer in ring than he was given credit for by the early IWC and in 97 he was just such a great babyface while not a great worker (but still had some fun matches.) From there it was easy to go back and see he'd done so much fun heel work in 95-96 and that maybe he didn't get a fair shake in the WWF, but that he wasn't great then, and was obviously not great at the end of his career.

And then people watched the Death of Lex Luger and realized The Total Package was always great.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

There was that run in WCW where Lex was just going out and winning matches and the crowd was all about it. Turns out if you look cool and win matches you'll get over.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/PuroresuFlow/status/1508931476573888520?t=wgaKYDbH3WFrdvYTonYFxQ&s=19

I've been watching a bunch of clips of this kind of wrestling lately. I don't think I like it I get worried that everyone involved is hurt or has poor QOL now in their older age. And of course what happened to Misawa.

How did the other legends of this time turn out health wise? What do Japanese fans think looking back at this. So they think wow that's still great or do they like newer styles that look painful but are safer?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I heard that Kawada's body is so hosed up that he's just in chronic pain and can't bend his body in certain ways. Kobashi seems fine though.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Lily Catts posted:

Kobashi seems fine though.

lol Kobashi can hardly move. He's so stiff, he has a Frankenstein gait.

Look at how he moves towards Jun when presenting the award in this clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2otddyRkyyo&t=1950s

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Mar 30, 2022

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Today's AEW Dark was taped at Daily's Place instead of Universal Studios. When would they have done that? Like was it just a Dark taping that was sold as a mini-house show?

I guess people are saying it's from December, but there was also a Dynamite from Daily's the first week of this month.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Kobashi has issues but I think taking time off from Cancer probably cut down on some of the wear and tear on the body and also meant he wasn't put in the spot of trying to be the company ace when Business was on a decline

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

sticklefifer posted:

I guess people are saying it's from December, but there was also a Dynamite from Daily's the first week of this month.

Cagematch records tapings pretty quickly. Those matches were originally part of "AEW Dark TV-Taping" event with other matches that were recorded Dec 28. Then in January AEW streamed half of those matches and Cagematch created this event for them: AEW Dark #124

Then they didn't air any more matches from that event, so Cagematch marked everything unaired as a dark match for Dark #124.

Now AEW aired everything except five matches that had storyline conflict (Cody, Brandi etc) and Cagematch created event for AEW Dark #136 and moved those matches into that.

Here's another event with a lot of (so far) unaired matches: https://www.cagematch.net/?id=1&nr=335474

Kennel fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Mar 30, 2022

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

The Torture Rack is also an all-time great finisher and Hobbs doing it is wonderful.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Kobashi has issues but I think taking time off from Cancer probably cut down on some of the wear and tear on the body and also meant he wasn't put in the spot of trying to be the company ace when Business was on a decline

I think this is the thing with those guys: it wasn’t so much the individual bumps but having to do that sort of match for 20 years because you can’t really step down for a long time because the next generation don’t draw and you do. New Japan would have the same issue if the next generation post Okada/Naito don’t work out and they kept on having to go back to them for another ten years to draw.

That era of Japanese wrestling is also broadly safer somehow than the same era of American wrestling: sure the individual major matches and some of the big bumps are scary but the schedule was much better - half the matches, most of the ones not on the big show being tags or less big - and you don’t seem to have the same issues with drugs and excessive steroid use leading to early deaths. The thing to remember is that these bumps weren’t a nightly thing; they got more regular over time as they kept on having to top their previous matches but they weren’t doing these in some house show in Kobe or whatever.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Jeff Jarretts catchphrase was him spelling his own name in an annoying way. That tells you everything you need to know about him.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Just makes you wonder how Akiyama's still going these days tbh

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I’ve not seen big chunks of his career but between leaving NOAH and leaving All Japan he was often booking and was clearly trying to move himself down the card: he wasn’t main eventing every month but instead working rookies or comedy matches against Masa Fuchi: or similar things. That helps longevity as well: taking less bumps total and less dangerous ones since you’re either doing matches that don’t need them or being the veteran that’s on top for the entirely of most matches - the latter is how Manami Toyota got a 20 year career despite some of the stuff she always did early on.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

oldpainless posted:

Jeff Jarretts catchphrase was him spelling his own name in an annoying way. That tells you everything you need to know about him.

Ain't he great?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I suppose I'm a little grateful that he never did a rapper gimmick

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

the most memorable thing Jeff Jarrett ever did imo was get drunk and throw tacos at Mexican punters at Triplemanía

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Akiyama didn't take as many huge neck drops and also took an actual break after Misawa died and found out he had an injury

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Halloween Jack posted:

I suppose I'm a little grateful that he never did a rapper gimmick

Well of course not. He thinks raaaaaAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaap is crap.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

oldpainless posted:

Back when he was trying to get SLAPNUTS going a local indy guy thought he could get the same kinda oomph with his own catch phrase of TOUCH HOLE and some how that was worse that SLAPNUTS

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
"Slapnuts" and "Don't Piss Me Off" establish that the only kind of character he can sort-of play is a chickenshit heel, even when he's trying to get over as anything else.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Halloween Jack posted:

"Slapnuts" and "Don't Piss Me Off" establish that the only kind of character he can sort-of play is a chickenshit heel, even when he's trying to get over as anything else.

I believe you mean "Don't Make Me Mad"

(One of my favorite weird toy things. For anyone not aware, I think this was like a Walmart exclusive or something and they refused to let the guitar say "don't piss me off".)

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

oldpainless posted:

What makes it even worse is that he was ripping off Dolly Parton with that. Dolly may not have been the first person to spell names and cities and states like that but she was doing it way before JJ did.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Ganso Bomb posted:

(One of my favorite weird toy things. For anyone not aware, I think this was like a Walmart exclusive or something and they refused to let the guitar say "don't piss me off".)

I like that they didn't use a more recent pic of him.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Numero6 posted:

I like that they didn't use a more recent pic of him.

I like that his hands are molded closed, so it can't actually hold the guitar accessory.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Ganso Bomb posted:

Also, isn't it just an Owen Hart repaint, head sculpt and all?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

davidbix posted:

Pretty sure it's at least the same head, yeah. I didn't notice the other stuff noted above either and they both just make the whole thing even better.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

davidbix posted:

Holy poo poo, it IS.

I knew Jakks was lazy (they once stuck a Val Venis head on top of a "original" Undertaker body in an attempt to make a RTC Val Venis), but I hadn't realized that they'd use someone else's head sculpt with a painted on beard and call it a day.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

It's doubly great because that face doesn't look remotely like either of them

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It looks like a Dick Tracy villain.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Slapnuts is fairly close to a Dick Tracy villain name I think

Maybe Hartface

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Now I’m Prune Tracy take that slapnuts

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Mr. Perfect and Scott Hall should've had a spot where Curt spits the gum at Hall while Hall flicks his toothpick at Perfect and the gum falls to the mat, impaled on the toothpick, in between both men.

edit: alternatively, Mr. Perfect catches the toothpick-skewered gum in his hand and sells the hand injury

edit2: also scott hall shoul've just bombarded his opponent with hundreds of tootphicks throught a match, with a clueless ref wondering why the entire mat is covered in 'em

edit3, last i promise: Oh yeah, Perfect could also reflect a toothpick back at hall with a towel snap

edit4: Scott Hall could've also tipped his toothpick in poison (maybe poison dart frog poison; others are available) and used it like a poison dart.

edit5: thought of something else regarding my previous idea. Curt could foil Hall's poison toothpick trick by revealing he had been chewing poisonous gum for weeks leading up to their match to build up a resistance

edit6: mr. perfect should've just kept a knife in his towel

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Apr 1, 2022

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Unperson_47 posted:

Mr. Perfect and Scott Hall should've had a spot where Curt spits the gum at Hall while Hall flicks his toothpick at Perfect and the gum falls to the mat, impaled on the toothpick, in between both men.

edit: alternatively, Mr. Perfect catches the toothpick-skewered gum in his hand and sells the hand injury

edit2: also scott hall shoul've just bombarded his opponent with hundreds of tootphicks throught a match, with a clueless ref wondering why the entire mat is covered in 'em

edit3, last i promise: Oh yeah, Perfect could also reflect a toothpick back at hall with a towel snap

edit4: Scott Hall could've also tipped his toothpick in poison (maybe poison dart frog poison; others are available) and used it like a poison dart

I've absolutely seen this episode of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Unperson_47 posted:

This sounds like a summon in Yakuza: Like a Dragon

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Wrong thread sorrry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Davros1 posted:

Holy poo poo, it IS.

I knew Jakks was lazy (they once stuck a Val Venis head on top of a "original" Undertaker body in an attempt to make a RTC Val Venis), but I hadn't realized that they'd use someone else's head sculpt with a painted on beard and call it a day.

Owen "Brakkus" Hart

e: or maybe, like, Ludvig Borga.

LvK fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 2, 2022