Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

ogopogo posted:

Ahh there it is

anyone remember that mass shooting in vegas during a huge event where supposedly one guy hit 400+ people from a high rise hotel room that happened like less than 5 years ago? And the authorities just gave zero explanation.

anyway,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mode 7 posted:

powerful "first track in a shovelware racing game" energy.

my brain went straight to PGR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_HOmQYbsHs

Still, that's going to be dope as hell once the MSG sphere is done. they could show live stuff on the outside.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

ogopogo posted:

Ahh there it is

Weird place for turn one

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

ilmucche posted:

Weird place for turn one

First track with a start/finish line that is mid corner. Vegas exclusive.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

ogopogo posted:

Ahh there it is

Hypothetically, if somebody who doesn't have the best engine on the grid would like to overtake on this track and make it stick, where could they do it?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Sab0921 posted:

Mike Krack, the one and only, got a lot of haters and lot of homies, some friends and some phonies.

Back then f1 didn't want me, now Im hot f1 all on me

[extremely Lance Stroll voice] I got the Internet goin' nuts

Powershift posted:

Still, that's going to be dope as hell once the MSG sphere is done. they could show live stuff on the outside.

yeah, thought of the PGR Vegas circuits as well. Need to look in more detail at what's announced and compare but it could be cool.

lmao I totally called that they'd do the race at 10 pm local time, it's like they want nobody in the eastern half of the U.S. to watch it live at all. Great job.

Low Percent Lunge posted:

First track with a start/finish line that is mid corner. Vegas exclusive.

there's a few American circuits that do (Long Beach and Detroit both come to mind) but nothing at the F1 level that I can think of. Certainly an interesting one.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
The oddest thing for me is putting it on a Saturday, does that mean they're planning to qualify earlier on the same day, or are they going to have basically 1 practice session before friday quali on a brand new track? Either choice is bizarro

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
Can't wait to see the angry tweets from bros who fly into Vegas for a weekend but can't move around half of the strip because of a dumb car race.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sashimi posted:

Can't wait to see the angry tweets from bros who fly into Vegas for a weekend but can't move around half of the strip because of a dumb car race.

It's a fairly small part of the strip, and there are pedestrian walkways over the strip. there is also a monorail into and out of the center of the track.

Hotel rooms during the race weekend are probably going to be $500-$1000 everywhere anyways. There won't be many non-race fans there.

Diorama
Apr 18, 2006

i remember when all this was fields

Tsaedje posted:

The oddest thing for me is putting it on a Saturday,

I guess it's to avoid losing half the global audience figures to people being at work

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

Diorama posted:

I guess it's to avoid losing half the global audience figures to people being at work

also sunday football?

Diorama
Apr 18, 2006

i remember when all this was fields
American Soccer*

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Diorama posted:

It'll be low for Europe anyway with a 3/4am start

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
who wants to watch the vegas strip during the day?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Diorama posted:

American Soccer*

soccer = association football

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Tsaedje posted:

It'll be low for Europe anyway with a 3/4am start

If it’s 10pm in Vegas that’s like 6am in Europe (plus or minus an hour depending on daylight savings time stuff). Not terrible.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

*Slaps Las Vegas*

this bad boy can fit so many straights in it...

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Powershift posted:

Today I learned PGR had sequels. The more you know.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

The Big Jesus posted:

If it’s 10pm in Vegas that’s like 6am in Europe (plus or minus an hour depending on daylight savings time stuff). Not terrible.

not great. not terrible.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

ArmZ posted:

not great. not terrible.

Formula 1

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Mode 7 posted:

Today I learned PGR had sequels. The more you know.

It had 3 of them, each better than the last! And they all had some version of Geometry Wars in too. Then Bizarre Creations got bought by Activision and made Blur and Blur was poo poo and it was sad.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Vegas should look really great, probably best night race since Singapore. Better than any of the featureless middle eastern races.

I really don't understand making it 10pm local time though, that's crazy to me that it will be at 1am for half the country you're holding it in, and supposedly on the night before Thanksgiving? I ain't staying up to 3am to watch that when I have to get a turkey in the oven at 9am the next morning.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Turkey sucks anyways just get McDonald’s

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

ethanol posted:

This is low, even for the worst thread.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Red Warrior posted:

Vegas should look really great, probably best night race since Singapore. Better than any of the featureless middle eastern races.

I really don't understand making it 10pm local time though, that's crazy to me that it will be at 1am for half the country you're holding it in, and supposedly on the night before Thanksgiving? I ain't staying up to 3am to watch that when I have to get a turkey in the oven at 9am the next morning.

There's really no winning if you want to both put it at night and also get the European audience, who are used to having races mid-day and not in the morning like the East Coast of the US.

to which I say, try living on the West Coast of the U.S. where all those European afternoon races are starting at 4 am. Turnabout's fair play and all that.

putting it on the Saturday is the only real good compromise, it'll make the event unique. Might be a case where you have to do P1/P2 on Friday, P3 super early (or not at all?) and qualifying earlier on in the Saturday afternoon Vegas time for the East Coast audience and then the race that same night. Good luck if you wreck or break anything, and good luck figuring out the setup as well (likely have to have P2 be at a race time for it to really give good info).

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Red Warrior posted:

Thanksgiving is always on a Thursday this will be on Saturday.

peepeepants
Oct 9, 2001

I hope that after I die, people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

The Vegas track made me realize something.

The new ground effects cars are going to have an easier time sucking off (lol) a lot of drain and utility manhole covers on street tracks, aren't they. Baku has lots of problems with that already.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The Puppet Master posted:

anyone remember that mass shooting in vegas during a huge event where supposedly one guy hit 400+ people from a high rise hotel room that happened like less than 5 years ago? And the authorities just gave zero explanation.

anyway,

Maybe you should take a break from watching Alex Jones/posting in D&D

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

harperdc posted:

There's really no winning if you want to both put it at night and also get the European audience, who are used to having races mid-day and not in the morning like the East Coast of the US.

to which I say, try living on the West Coast of the U.S. where all those European afternoon races are starting at 4 am. Turnabout's fair play and all that.

putting it on the Saturday is the only real good compromise, it'll make the event unique. Might be a case where you have to do P1/P2 on Friday, P3 super early (or not at all?) and qualifying earlier on in the Saturday afternoon Vegas time for the East Coast audience and then the race that same night. Good luck if you wreck or break anything, and good luck figuring out the setup as well (likely have to have P2 be at a race time for it to really give good info).

Oh I get it, but it's super weird to have a US race supposedly to continue to grow the sport in the US and have it literally in the middle of the night for a massive portion of that country. Bite that bullet and have it on at 8pm local time or something, like they don't have the Superbowl or NBA finals at 1am for the east coast.

Races being on all times of the day is kind of something we all have to deal with what with this being global now.

This being on at the same time locally as my old home grand prix from Australia kind of breaks my brain a bit.

cheesetriangles posted:

Thanksgiving is always on a Thursday this will be on Saturday.

Man I didn't get enough sleep last night let alone for this race!!!

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

The Puppet Master posted:

anyway,

prob just a coincidence or mixup

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?

italian quid posted:

Maybe you should take a break from watching Alex Jones/posting in D&D

Actually, people should listen to Alex Jones multiple times per week through the filter of the Knowledge Fight podcast.

Content: This is my first season following F1 basically after seeing all the news articles about the ending of the last season in December. I've been going back through some of the F1TV archives and was checking out the early 2014 season to see just how much stronger Merc was than the other teams with the new hybrid power units.

It felt really weird to all of a sudden hear Jules Bianchi's name on the grid having learned what happened to him later that year. Like I was watching something I shouldn't have been. I'm in the US and never really was a Nascar fan but I still remember Earnhardt's death being like a gut punch and I already can't imagine having to deal with one of these drivers getting seriously injured or killed.

What is the community like in the aftermath of something like that?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Abisteen posted:

Actually, people should listen to Alex Jones multiple times per week through the filter of the Knowledge Fight podcast.

Content: This is my first season following F1 basically after seeing all the news articles about the ending of the last season in December. I've been going back through some of the F1TV archives and was checking out the early 2014 season to see just how much stronger Merc was than the other teams with the new hybrid power units.

It felt really weird to all of a sudden hear Jules Bianchi's name on the grid having learned what happened to him later that year. Like I was watching something I shouldn't have been. I'm in the US and never really was a Nascar fan but I still remember Earnhardt's death being like a gut punch and I already can't imagine having to deal with one of these drivers getting seriously injured or killed.

What is the community like in the aftermath of something like that?

HTFU

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Abisteen posted:

Actually, people should listen to [a] podcast.

Gross. No thank you.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ethanol posted:

This, OP.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

njsykora posted:

It had 3 of them, each better than the last! And they all had some version of Geometry Wars in too. Then Bizarre Creations got bought by Activision and made Blur and Blur was poo poo and it was sad.

What the hell Blur was fantastic! It’s sad no one played it.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

njsykora posted:

Forza Horizon eventually became the spiritual successor but PG3 cat and mouse on 360 will always be special to me.

Vegas circuit seems dumb, also where are they thinking about trying to put grandstands? And/or are they gonna close down just walking on the strip to prevent people watching for free or some such? Also have a race in pacific time zone finally and yet run the race in aussie/sea start times god drat it

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

The Big Jesus posted:

Never heard of it but I just looked it up. I’ll have to give it a try sometime. Hard to pass up a Bloody Mary with Zing Zang mix, makes it really easy if you don’t feel like making something from scratch.

Zing Zang? My dude, try out Stirrings bloody mary mix and treat yo self right

Powershift posted:

Hooooooooly poo poo, this brought me right back. PGR was the absolute poo poo growing up. :swoon:

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I only had CART Racing until I went to college and got a PS2 with Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec. :smith:

I dis get to rent a PS1 from Blockbuster a few times. Ridge Racer was my poo poo.

Wait, I also rented that F1 game for N64 with the Drivers Williams. I did a full Australian Grand Prix as Jean Alesi. Still wish I bought that game.

Full Collapse fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 31, 2022

nerox
May 20, 2001
There is a good driving game called Desert Bus where you are driving a busload of F1 drivers to the Las Vegas F1 race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

the only racing game I play is Mario kart on 200cc so crybabies can endlessly bitch to me over the fact that you actually have to use the brake lmao