Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Popped for their prescribed medication, they have tested and annotated their Rx many times before. Going only by word of mouth, the issue is that the lab results would appear to indicate this guy horked down "a month's worth" (NCIS investigator's words) of Adderall an hour before his pissed. Sailor is aware that he has the right to review all evidence presented for the charge, he's talking to legal this morning.

I'm like, would you even need a piss test to indicate that? Wouldn't the smoke coming out of your ears give it away? Or the heart attack?

Hopefully his own legal. Agreed with the rest. Either somebody is bored or your boy is getting drummed up on some BS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Capwn
Nov 18, 2004
Question about being in a sea duty command in Japan, and being LIMDU:

I arrived to my ship in 2020, and my PRD was July 2022. I then OTEIP'd for 2023. Well, a few days ago due to a sports incident I completely tore my achilles tendon and the recovery for that can be 10-12 months. I will most likely be sent to a shore command here on base. Will this just be a TAD, or will this be a complete new set of orders given from my detailer?
Once I get fully healed, will I be able to return to my ship?

I'm an IT and this is my first sea command. There was an instruction a few years ago that required first sea duty assignments for ITs to fulfill a 4 year obligation. I'm also wanting to reenlist and OTEIP again with the same ship. Do I have to way until I'm fully healed to reenlist and OTEIP?

My biggest worry right now is being PCS'd out of Japan, or going to a different ship entirely.

Al Capwn fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Mar 28, 2022

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
A long time ago I fell on the ship and busted my arm in a bunch of places i was sent to shore on limdu, and then to a new sea duty in the same geo region. The navy doesnt want to move you if they dont have to. But they will if there's no other options.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I believe it’s a whole new set of orders once you’re officially LIMDU, there’s no particular reason they’d send you back to the same command unless you can get the detailer to do that

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Ok it’s official I’m looking for another printer tech. Officially it’s 80% remote 20% on location once training is done. IE you’ll be mostly working on HPSM remote queue tickets and going into to the field on occasion.

Most of the training at the work will be out of Oak Harbor but the other site is Everett. So if printers and PNW living is your thing I guess hit me up. My current guy up there is pretty outdoorsy and loves it. He found a reasonably priced apartment too. Certainly cheaper on the island.
Requires sec+, secret bare minimum.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

My information may be out of date since I have been out near a decade, but when I was at NRMD, which was a standard shore duty billeted assignment *and* a LIMDU assignment so I have a little experience with it as well. In addition, my wife at the time had a LIMDU assignment when she was pregnant. In all these cases in which a person was LIMDU for a significant amount of time they received LIMDU orders and it was an official change of command, not a TAD sort of situation. The people that were staying in after their LIMDU orders came to an end were working/negotiating with their detailers their next set of orders. So I can see things really depending on the rate and the need of the ship. If you are expected to be gone 10 months though, I would imagine the detailer has worked on filling that billet now and dealing with you and your needs later. So, closer to the end of your LIMDU situation they will work with you for the new orders. If there are no billets in Japan there is not much they can do, but I imagine they will keep you in Japan if there are open billets of the same or higher need than stateside or elsewhere.

I cannot imagine the Navy letting you re-enlist before the LIMDU situation is complete and it is shown that you will be able to return to the fleet in a fully functional manner. I have been out so long, or was in the wrong rate, so I don't recall what OTEIP is, so I have no advice for that.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Crab Dad posted:

Ok it’s official I’m looking for another printer tech. Officially it’s 80% remote 20% on location once training is done. IE you’ll be mostly working on HPSM remote queue tickets and going into to the field on occasion.

Most of the training at the work will be out of Oak Harbor but the other site is Everett. So if printers and PNW living is your thing I guess hit me up. My current guy up there is pretty outdoorsy and loves it. He found a reasonably priced apartment too. Certainly cheaper on the island.

Working my Sec+ right now, already have the secret. If I could move up there I'd totally throw my resume that way, because that's a chill gig.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Crab Dad posted:

I gotta say this is a scam. I was up there for three weeks and had two ACTUAL printer problems, neither of which Crabdad could fix. Just because one was not on his network and the other was "somebody slammed something in the glass and broke it" don't seem like valid reasons for printer techs to not do their jobs. :colbert:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The secret is printers can never be fixed, only put out to pasture.

Crabdad just skims off the grease between the issue and the eventual diagnosis, then skims a little more when he delivers you a replacement.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

M_Gargantua posted:

The secret is printers can never be fixed, only put out to pasture.

Crabdad just skims off the grease between the issue and the eventual diagnosis, then skims a little more when he delivers you a replacement.

Shutthefuckupdontruinthisforme.

Ahem. It is indeed a chill gig. We mostly just install printers. Very few issues with actually physically “fixing” anything. We also diagnose networking issues but we have people to actually do the work on the network.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/pagnetti/status/1508865363626319874?t=o0Ix02sPk5hgw86fuhUFQg&s=19

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I don't know what the plot of it is but I expect it to be weird and awful.

Maybe pretty and fast and jet fights though.

Would have been better if they just took a good DCS campaign and added in professional SFX

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
So my Reserve contract end date was March 20th. I called the reserve center the week before and they told me I had to request to get out of the Navy on the my navy website (lol) so I do that, ask them when Ill get paperwork, reserve center says tehres no paperwork at all! Except I need paperwork to do somethings, like roll my uniformed service TSP into my GS TSP, but of course they have no actual answers. Then the CO calls me and says that until I talk to REGCOM I'm not actually out of the Reserves??? WTF is this absolute bullshit?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

I’ll take the opportunity to plug in Sky Fighters.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
My IRR service consisted of me not talking to anyone ever until I got a letter two years later saying that I was discharged from the IRR now that the timer was completed.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I'm just gonna say it, iceman was the better pilot

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

FrozenVent posted:

I’ll take the opportunity to plug in Sky Fighters.

:argh:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

pmchem posted:

I'm just gonna say it, iceman was the better pilot

I mean, Iceman didn't kill his RIO, and Iceman got his name on the plaque, so that counts for something.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

orange juche posted:

I mean, Iceman didn't kill his RIO, and Iceman got his name on the plaque, so that counts for something.

Goose didn't follow procedure for a flat spin eject, but I won't speak ill of the dead.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

Al Capwn posted:

Question about being in a sea duty command in Japan, and being LIMDU:

I HAVE BEEN SUMMONED.

I was in a CAG5 squadron back in 2020 when I had to have my thyroid removed. After having the surgery and chilling in a Hiroshima hospital for a week, I went back to work and discovered I suddenly had new orders: to San Diego (Helo RAG)...for an indeterminate amount of time which turned out to be a year only to have the docs there go "lol why are you here?" as after a couple of months I basically just had a cool neck scar and it took me 3 months to leave.

So I got yoinked out of Japan regardless of anything I had going on (like say a foreign born wife with an expired green card and kids) or anybody bothering to question it's necessary for a solid year for literally nothing.

So basically YMMV and FTN.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

orange juche posted:

He did almost get himself and his RIO killed by focusing too damned much on his first kill and losing situational awareness. He's lucky that MiG-28s use .30 caliber FMJ and not 23-30mm autocannon in that universe.

But he *did* save his airframe despite his lapse in judgment and came back with kills which is why he made Flag.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Mar 30, 2022

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Had a similar experience as a Marine assigned to sea duty on an amphib in Japan when I got put on LIMDU towards the end of my tour. I had surgery and got shuffled over to a shoreside Marine command back CONUS.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I would imagine if the LIMDU orders back to CONUS involve a household goods move due to length of orders the chances of going back to Japan are more slim.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

M_Gargantua posted:

My IRR service consisted of me not talking to anyone ever until I got a letter two years later saying that I was discharged from the IRR now that the timer was completed.

My issue is not with the IRR, I was (am still???) an actual Reservist.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

For any of you nerds who still need a AT the fleet week and Germany missions still need a few peeps.

Al Capwn
Nov 18, 2004

CMD598 posted:

I HAVE BEEN SUMMONED.

I was in a CAG5 squadron back in 2020 when I had to have my thyroid removed. After having the surgery and chilling in a Hiroshima hospital for a week, I went back to work and discovered I suddenly had new orders: to San Diego (Helo RAG)...for an indeterminate amount of time which turned out to be a year only to have the docs there go "lol why are you here?" as after a couple of months I basically just had a cool neck scar and it took me 3 months to leave.

So I got yoinked out of Japan regardless of anything I had going on (like say a foreign born wife with an expired green card and kids) or anybody bothering to question it's necessary for a solid year for literally nothing.

So basically YMMV and FTN.

Ah thats very scary to hear. What was the reasoning for them to totally move you to SD and not keep you in the same geo-location? I just don't get it why they would do that to you lol. Had a sailor on my ship who had persistent back issues, did PT on base, and was seen at a Japanese hospital and did not improve. He ended up going LIMDU in Yokosuka, and then getting medically separated because his issues couldn't be resolved. My chain will send me to a limdu command, and I'm hoping I can return to my original ship when I'm better, but we'll see.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Crab Dad posted:

For any of you nerds who still need a AT the fleet week and Germany missions still need a few peeps.

My beard is very much on the scale of the CHENG in Down Periscope and I've got a couple of weeks of vacation.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Obviously I cannot answer for the other poster, but the Navy is likely to bring you stateside if they feel it will benefit your recovery and aid in the chance of retention, and it also allows for a lot more flexibility for the detailer when you are cleared for full duty. If you are OCONUS it takes more time and costs more to move you to your next duty station, so it makes sense for them to move you stateside while you are not of use to the fleet, as opposed to having lengthier move times when you are of use to the fleet. Often a command can create some spots for LIMDU folks, but there are designated LIMDU commands that have some amount of forecasting and billeting like structures that they aim for. For example, when my wife at the time was pregnant NRMD was "full" so to speak, and that was the normal shore duty for East Coast women who were pregnant, so she went to the tax assistance center instead because of their staffing needs.

Your best bet to get back to Japan would be to hope that your rate is understaffed and when you are nearing the point in which you will be cleared for duty you work out some sort of offer with the detailer, like "I will re-enlist if you send me back to my old ship allowing you to fill a whole billet, otherwise you are stuck with half billets", but honestly your detailer probably won't give a poo poo. My wife at the time and I were speaking to the surface EM detailer when her pregnancy shore duty was winding down and we said to him, "So you can send my wife to the Vinson, because it is in the yards right next to the Bush, and we can work out the child care that way, if you give us any other orders she is getting out on a hardship discharge". The fucker said "No way you would give up a great career in the Navy just because you don't get convenient orders" and refused to help us out and instead gave her orders to some seagoing ship. Well of course my wife got the gently caress out at that point. At the time nuke EM was still in demand, so I think that if your rate is not in demand and you don't have crab dad luck your chances are not great. Perhaps reconsider that re-enlistment, go to school online and get the Navy to pay for it while you are at LIMDU, as you will have the time, get out and use the GI bill to push on to a masters in something.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Navy lost an E-2 during a training exercise near Virginia, crew recovered, one didn't make it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Syrian Lannister posted:

Navy lost an E-2 during a training exercise near Virginia, crew recovered, one didn't make it.

gently caress.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer
https://news.usni.org/2022/03/28/fy-23-budget-navy-wants-to-shed-24-ships-for-3-6b-in-savings-over-next-five-years

quote:

THE PENTAGON – The Navy wants to decommission 24 ships in the upcoming fiscal year to save $3.6 billion over the next five years, the service announced today.

As part of its Fiscal Year 2023 budget request, the Navy plans to decommission nine Freedom-class Littoral Combat Ships, five Ticonderoga-class cruisers, two Los Angeles-class submarines, four Landing Dock Ships, two oilers and two Expeditionary Transfer Docks.

Explaining the LCS decommissioning, Navy deputy assistant secretary for budget Rear Adm. John Gumbleton cited the service’s decision to abandon the anti-submarine warfare mission package for the LCS class because the Constellation-class frigate will have that capability.

“The programmatic decision was actually looking at the ASW variant. And the ASW variant – mission module – huge challenges, not going to work. And we’re buying in this budget our fourth frigate. And the fourth frigate has what we believe is going to be an effective ASW capability and so that’s where we chose to take risk in our LCS portfolio,” Gumbleton told reporters in a roundtable on Monday morning.

Popping into the Navy thread to lol at this, having covered the construction of these loving ships for years as a Wisconsin story since they're built here in Marinette. It's loving mind blowing how much the LCS program mirrors the F35 program, trying to build a single platform that does everything but nothing well. Hopefully, the F35 will get phased out too-hahahahahahahah no that's never going to happen.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

The F35 has actually done stuff will actually probably be okay when it finally matures while also being a massive grift but the LCS was literally nothing. I don’t think the LCS has had a single important real world mission and they spent most of their time broken down or undergoing fixes/upgrades.

They’re both scams but the Navy couldn’t even try to make something real with the LCS

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
It got me out of the Navy and made me some money, +1 to LCS.

Phuzzy posted:

https://news.usni.org/2022/03/28/fy-23-budget-navy-wants-to-shed-24-ships-for-3-6b-in-savings-over-next-five-years

Popping into the Navy thread to lol at this, having covered the construction of these loving ships for years as a Wisconsin story since they're built here in Marinette. It's loving mind blowing how much the LCS program mirrors the F35 program, trying to build a single platform that does everything but nothing well. Hopefully, the F35 will get phased out too-hahahahahahahah no that's never going to happen.

Hello fellow northern Wisconsin goon.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
All Ticos Are Broken

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

All Ticos Are Broken

They're almost as old as I am and they've been ridden a lot harder so what d'you expect?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

So far I've had a 100% success rate of prior service and reserve recruiters never contacting me again when I just send them whatever the first thing I find is when I google "weird twitter" or "dank meme reddit"

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

So far I've had a 100% success rate of prior service and reserve recruiters never contacting me again when I just send them whatever the first thing I find is when I google "weird twitter" or "dank meme reddit"

Why don’t you just tell them your SA handle is “SMEGMA_MAIL”? That’s like, a double red flag already.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

AlternateNu posted:

Why don’t you just tell them your SA handle is “SMEGMA_MAIL”? That’s like, a double red flag already.

If I hated them that much I’d just buy them an account

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

So this happened recently, I was on duty and heard the explosion.

Rumor has it PSNS made a deliberate decision to perform compartment testing without the LET locking ring engaged, which is loving insane.

On another boat a few months ago they decided they absolutely had to test the diesel with the snorkel mast tagged out and sent a bunch of sailors to the hospital because they filed the boat with diesel exhaust. One of their corrective actions from that incident was "have sailors don EABs" like how about you don't deliberately cause a toxic atmosphere onboard the ship you loving fucks?

If this is the poo poo PSNS is doing right now I'm double glad I'm outta here soon, before they figure out a way to seriously injure me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Elviscat posted:

So this happened recently, I was on duty and heard the explosion.

Rumor has it PSNS made a deliberate decision to perform compartment testing without the LET locking ring engaged, which is loving insane.

On another boat a few months ago they decided they absolutely had to test the diesel with the snorkel mast tagged out and sent a bunch of sailors to the hospital because they filed the boat with diesel exhaust. One of their corrective actions from that incident was "have sailors don EABs" like how about you don't deliberately cause a toxic atmosphere onboard the ship you loving fucks?

If this is the poo poo PSNS is doing right now I'm double glad I'm outta here soon, before they figure out a way to seriously injure me.

Dear Lord, the comments on that article...