Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

lmfao holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Castle Sol was not nearly as bad as the memes and complaints led me to believe, probably because it was pretty short.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

The Lone Badger posted:

I've gone to the mountaintops and things... seem to have stopped dying? They just take a little chip of damage from things now.

mountaintops is a big difficulty spike. the zamor are very difficult. but this is also where the game starts handing out high level smithing stones which will help a lot.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
also you can run through the entire zone if you don't want to explore it or bother fighting some of the very annoying enemies.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Man these pages are taunting me with a sick rapier moveset, when the only one we can get is just using it like a mini-spear.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
just got into and played around a bit in auriza hero's grave east of the capitol and this is possibly just the straight up meanest poo poo i've ever seen in a souls game like holy poo poo

getting some laughs out of it at least

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

marshmallow creep posted:

So something I didn't know about War Cry and Barbaric Roar before experimenting with this Roar talisman and highland axe stuff is that when you put War Cry on something like the Night's Calvary Halberd, instead of big swings it turns into lunging stabs. After experimenting it seems like you could get more damage out of a Barbaric Roar Night's Halberd with its meaty three hit combo, but in practice you're going to land more reliable damage with the War Cry version, so War Cry > Barbaric Roar is still the rule.

Also I was deeply saddened to discover that Regal Roar and Hoarah Loux's Earthshaker do not count as Roars for this purpose and so can't get the highland axe or Roar talisman bonus. However, I maintain that Earthshaker is a good skill for anything that can be staggered and doing AoE damage. I can do 4k and sometimes even proc a bleed if I use bloodflame, and it's about as reliable as Flame of the Redmanes for breaking stance, if only because it comes with enough hyperarmor to let you actually cast it while an attack is coming in (FotR is much easier to interrupt).

Oh yeah I forgot to mention there's some bug where if you War Cry with your right hand then two-hand your left hand weapon that weapon inherits the properties of the War Cry including the running R2. It's a speed running strat right now because you can do something like put Bloody Helice or Reduvia in there and each time the charge does damage it counts as a hit from the Helice which applies bleed so you basically get an instant bleed from every charged R2.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Joe Man posted:

just got into and played around a bit in auriza hero's grave east of the capitol and this is possibly just the straight up meanest poo poo i've ever seen in a souls game like holy poo poo

getting some laughs out of it at least

Not a fan of hero graves myself. The Chariot being one hit kill instead of big damage (like DS2's one) and the hitbox being too big... I did two so far and only figured how to destroy the Chariot in the very first one. (will do the capital's this weekend).

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

Guillermus posted:

Not a fan of hero graves myself. The Chariot being one hit kill instead of big damage (like DS2's one) and the hitbox being too big... I did two so far and only figured how to destroy the Chariot in the very first one. (will do the capital's this weekend).

It was incredibly funny sitting in between the two slopes in auriza's and still dying because I guess one of them severed an artery when it turned

I found them pretty fun after accidentally discovering that the bubble tear physick will let you survive one hit from them

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7080542243064483078

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I case anyone is wondering the approximate time to get a mage completely set up in this game:

That's 60 Int, 16 (21) Vig, Carian +7, Comet Azur, Glintstone Pebble. It wasn't exactly a smooth run, either. Also it was a self-imposed requirement that no skill or actual combat be involved.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Lobos started uploading his all cheese run of the game.
Watch the last 5 minutes of the video for a summary on how to beat the bosses easy.
And watch the rest of the 6 hour video to see all the practice and preparation that is actually needed for those.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0gKy6LA88A&t=22230s

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What's a cool curved sword to dual wield with Wing of Astel? I mean, short of just having someone help me transfer another Wing of Astel to my Int guy.

Is there one with innate bleed on it?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

What's a cool curved sword to dual wield with Wing of Astel? I mean, short of just having someone help me transfer another Wing of Astel to my Int guy.

Scavenger's Curved sword has bleed. There doesn't seem to be another one that scales naturally with int. But if you ask me, you should use the mantis blade and go for a weird insect guy theme.

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

Harrow posted:

Scavenger's Curved Sword. I made it cold so it bleeds and freezes.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Harrow posted:

Cool curved swords are the nokron whip shotel thing, or the life drain one.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

Scavenger's Curved sword has bleed. There doesn't seem to be another one that scales naturally with int. But if you ask me, you should use the mantis blade and go for a weird insect guy theme.

Yeah I was thinking Mantis Blade might be fun just for the aesthetics, and it can take a cold ash of war for some frostbite.

Yates posted:

Scavenger's Curved Sword. I made it cold so it bleeds and freezes.

Cold Scavenger's is a good idea too, though.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

After getting punished over and over for trying a different non-katana setup for Malenia (including a +10 Mohg spear, spamming Bloodbound Curse and powerstanced +10 bleed whips) I had to go back to old reliable Rivers of Blood.

Used Corpse Piler and kept spamming while my Mimic Tear did the same. With my build so focused on bleed and Dex, it felt like the only way to progress.

It was cheap, it was cheesy and I don't care, that fight was rigged so i rigged it back in my favor. She didn't even get a chance to do Waterfowl Dance in phase one because Corpse Piler interrupts most attacks.

NG+ I'm probably going to skip this one but as it's my first time, I wanted to get every boss

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The barricade shield nerf was too much esp considering it takes up your ash slot .

It still works tho I guess if you time it

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

soliciting ideas/votes for a dex/int playthrough now that I have 3 endings out of the way and satisfied my arc bleed curiosity on ng+

following geared towards the early-ish game and a prisoner start. I'm going to be in melee range most/all of the time because flinging spells from a distance is boring, unless it's a pain (e.g. catacomb ledge archers/dagger jerks)

- cold infused twinblade. a lot of dex required to start but I'll get a good deal of buildup and hoarfrost stomp is good. plus I've pretty much never used twinblade in any of these games
- classic rapier (rogier's) or noble estoc, not a ton of damage but low investment and I like the movements. cold (hoarfrost) or magic (carian, phalanx ashes)
- great epee. will only 2 hand this because I don't want to dump that much str (to start at least). probably just a holding pattern until godskin stitcher. same ashes
- powerstanced curved swords. another holding pattern until astel + 1, love the astel wa. (scavanger? serpent? mantis? for the second). ice ice baby

I'll have moonveil on hand to dump somber stones into but I don't want to base around it. leaning towards 1 + 4

E. I see this was already somewhat addressed above for the curved swords. and sorry if I missed something else in the past couple of pages like this, first time clicking on thread

Sleng Teng fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Mar 31, 2022

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
As long as you aren't in the middle of a long animation when she starts telegraphing, Waterfowl Dance is very easy to avoid.

Run away from her for the first two flurries, dodge through her as she's about to jump at you for the third. That's it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sleng Teng posted:

soliciting ideas/votes for a dex/int playthrough now that I have 3 endings out of the way and satisfied my arc bleed curiosity on ng+

following geared towards the early-ish game and a prisoner start. I'm going to be in melee range most/all of the time because flinging spells from a distance is boring, unless it's a pain (e.g. catacomb ledge archers/dagger jerks)

- cold infused twinblade. a lot of dex required to start but I'll get a good deal of buildup and hoarfrost stomp is good. plus I've pretty much never used twinblade in any of these games
- classic rapier (rogier's) or noble estoc, not a ton of damage but low investment and I like the movements. cold (hoarfrost) or magic (carian, phalanx ashes)
- great epee. will only 2 hand this because I don't want to dump that much str (to start at least). probably just a holding pattern until godskin stitcher. same ashes
- powerstanced curved swords. another holding pattern until astel + 1, love the astel wa. (scavanger? serpent? mantis). ice ice baby

I'll have moonveil on hand to dump somber stones into but I don't want to base around it. leaning towards 1 + 4

E. I see this was already somewhat addressed above for the curved swords. and sorry if I missed something else in the past couple of pages like this, first time clicking on thread

Since you already know about Wing of Astel, I'll suggest powerstancing cold twinblades. The dual-wield twinblade moveset is wild and the jumping L1 attack makes you spin the twinblades like propellers.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Harrow posted:

Since you already know about Wing of Astel, I'll suggest powerstancing cold twinblades. The dual-wield twinblade moveset is wild and the jumping L1 attack makes you spin the twinblades like propellers.

lol yeah I tried that out with peeler + knight on my str character and it's silly! is there a second twinblade or do I have to beg somebody for a drop (on xbox)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sleng Teng posted:

lol yeah I tried that out with peeler + knight on my str character and it's silly! is there a second twinblade or do I have to beg somebody for a drop (on xbox)

I don't think there's a second one so you'd either need a drop or to use two different twinblades. I think Twinned Knight Swords and Godskin Peeler can both take ashes of war and be cold-infused. Twinned Knight Swords requires 16 Str but you might also want that much in case you want to try out Dark Moon Greatsword later in the game.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Harrow posted:

I don't think there's a second one so you'd either need a drop or to use two different twinblades. I think Twinned Knight Swords and Godskin Peeler can both take ashes of war and be cold-infused. Twinned Knight Swords requires 16 Str but you might also want that much in case you want to try out Dark Moon Greatsword later in the game.

I think peeler also takes a bit of str but like you say it will help with DMGS plus if I want to 1h the great epee or godskin stitcher later too.

thanks!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

euphronius posted:

still lets you totally no-sell a tricky pattern when used right beforehand, it's just not a buff you keep on indefinitely anymore

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

euphronius posted:

The barricade shield nerf was too much esp considering it takes up your ash slot .

Yeah you can't just pop it well in advance anymore, but it's still really good imo. It helps that the activation animation also blocks and comes up about as fast as a regular block.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

OK I knew the Golden Parry was good, both from using it myself and from seeing videos of it, but for it to be actually just as good as Buckler Parry and even a tiny bit better, even on a medium shield, is crazy to me.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I finally got my stats in order such that I could take off the Soreseal… feels good! Now if I can get STR up a few more points, I can take the STR talisman off and put on the jump attack one! I’m already wearing the jump attack cloak, so with that and the talisman I’ll be UNSTOPPABLE

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Why's it gotta be raining all the time in the 'tween lands?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

kazil posted:

Why's it gotta be raining all the time in the 'tween lands?

Blame Godrick, he took over the storm castle and screwed up the weather systems. You need to restore the true heir to the throne in a sidequest in order to get better weather.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Any opinions on what the best catalyst is for general maging? I know the carian ones boost either the various glintblade or various magic weapons (including gavel of haima and lorettas gbow?), but I tend to use a wide array of spells. Right now it seems like the demi-human one has the best sorc scaling without any downsides, but Ive heard good things about azurs/lusats staffs.

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

lmao if you fight particularly sized wolves and summon latenna, she can befriend one and go into mounted archer mode.

there might only be one or two places in the game where you can do this (one's in the manor in northern Liurnia with one of the troll swordsmen)

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Nuebot posted:

I think doing Ranni's quest and going to Altus triggers forever festival? Because people have said, on multiple occasions, that the festival only occurs at night but every time I've had blaidd there waiting for me after visiting altus, it's just all day every day festival time.

You can activate the festival doing Ranni's quest, but you have to talk to Jerren and Iji. I forgot what is it exactly, but they have some relationship and once the dialogues are completed the festival will start. You can complete Ranni's quest without ever seeing that dialogue, but you need to clear Redmane Castle first to get the Jerren dialogue.

Could be wrong, but I believe this is how I activated the festival on my 2nd playthrough.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Dyz posted:

Any opinions on what the best catalyst is for general maging? I know the carian ones boost either the various glintblade or various magic weapons (including gavel of haima and lorettas gbow?), but I tend to use a wide array of spells. Right now it seems like the demi-human one has the best sorc scaling without any downsides, but Ive heard good things about azurs/lusats staffs.

Meteorite Staff for 80% of the game, Carian Regal Scepter for a good generic staff after you can get it to +8 or higher, Azur's Glintstone Staff or Lusat's Glintstone Staff if you want your spells to be really expensive for a marginal amount of cast speed/damage respectively, I'd say.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I triggered the festival by a mix of Ranni's quest and going to Altus so my first time at Redmane Castle was empty (cept for two lions).

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Guillermus posted:

I triggered the festival by a mix of Ranni's quest and going to Altus so my first time at Redmane Castle was empty (cept for two lions).

you can go back after beating Radhan and the castle is full again, including the mid-point boss. Worth it just to get the runes and some items, otherwise it's fairly skippable

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Nothing is skippable to me, loot everything!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dyz posted:

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Meteorite Staff for 80% of the game, Carian Regal Scepter for a good generic staff after you can get it to +8 or higher, Azur's Glintstone Staff or Lusat's Glintstone Staff if you want your spells to be really expensive for a marginal amount of cast speed/damage respectively, I'd say.

Yeah Meteorite is best for most of the game, Carian Regal once you have the Int to use it and can get it to +8 or higher.

Azur's is specifically for Comet Azur cheese. The extra FP cost doesn't matter if you're using the "don't spend FP for 10 seconds" flask, so the bonus damage is functionally free there.

If you're on like NG+2 and have 60+ Int and Faith the Death Prince staff is great, but it's pretty bad otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harrow posted:

Yeah Meteorite is best for most of the game, Carian Regal once you have the Int to use it and can get it to +8 or higher.

Azur's is specifically for Comet Azur cheese. The extra FP cost doesn't matter if you're using the "don't spend FP for 10 seconds" flask, so the bonus damage is functionally free there.

If you're on like NG+2 and have 60+ Int and Faith the Death Prince staff is great, but it's pretty bad otherwise.

Does the Death Prince staff make Fia's Mist not suck or does it not have any impact on the blight buildup