Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Giant Ethicist posted:

Monya the Grey

End chapter 3!

Toto growling over his shoulder :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

It is way too easy to fall behind on these threads. I've got a ton of The Timid Soul which I fully intend to post once I'm properly caught up.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Vargo posted:

Hello! Don't get COVID, it is very lovely and makes you unable to post good comics. (I'm nearly fully recovered, I'm doing a lot better, thanks for being concerned, thread friends, and for picking up my posting slack.) If you're ever wondering "Is Vargo alive?", you can always check my Twitter: https://twitter.com/SchneidRemarks unless I somehow kick that habit, too!
Horray! (for being alive, not getting covid)

2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

Computoon: Origins

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
:fap:

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Classic Arlo and Janis (April 23, 2000)

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Spawn: "Amateurs"

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

Wasn't the thread just discussing this?

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

catlord posted:

Wasn't the thread just discussing this?

Holbrook, if you're reading the thread, I need you to know that you are an absolute and utter hack and if I had a time machine, the first thing I'd do with it is stop you from unleashing your garbage onto the world

EDIT: Second thing would be seeing who was on the grassy knoll, fwiw

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

riderchop posted:

b]Overboard[/b]

Condorito now objectively proven to be one of the prettiest comic strips. To dogs, anyway.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Guindon

Gahan

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Giant Ethicist posted:

Monya the Grey

End chapter 3!

gently caress 'em up, Dody.

Also, hooray for not being dead, Vargo.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Piggi

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 3/30/02

Brenda Starr 6/14-16/48

Smokey Stover 1/19/47

Everyday Movies 12/29/34

"Oh, Duke, here's a lot of fluff under the bed. What'll I do with it?"

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
I'm glad you're feeling better, Vargo!

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

BOOO!

:frogout:

Mister Kingdom posted:

I know this joke has been done to death, but has there ever been a wise man sitting at the top of a mountian dispensing wisdom?

Bodhidharma maybe?

Giant Ethicist posted:

Monya the Grey

End chapter 3!

I was afraid this was going to happen :ohdear: What jerks.

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

This panel out of context is the most entertaining thing this strip has done in years.

Vintage Valiant (Jul. 09, 1950)

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
"Ha! We rammed our way in, we will simply ram our way back out!"
"Uh... about that, sire..." -Whisper, whisper-
"What's that you say?... ... Well, piss."

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

"Spa for dogs"

The Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps (French pronunciation: ​[siʁkɥi də spa fʁɑ̃kɔʁʃɑ̃]), frequently referred to as Spa,[1][2] is a 7.004 km (4.352 mi) motor-racing circuit located in Stavelot, Belgium.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1947

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "124 - Jucika Assists With The Thresh"

"125 - Jucika And The Summer Night" NSFW Nudity

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Luann

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Gah I'm sorry. I had two weeks of hell with work and otherwise. And it's not even over. I'll post when I can.

Classic Kevin & Kell in: :capitalism: (June 19-25, 2006)

One of this strip begs the question: if they have the ability to make meat-free protein sources for carnivores... Why is there still hunting? (And just for the record, the manga/anime Beastars has an excellent answer to this.)

Modern Kevin & Kell biiiiiiig catch-up.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Giant Days x Batman Concludes!

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

GIANT DAYS x BATMAN concludes!

I hope you’ve enjoyed this unsanctioned crossover, that broke all the rules while remaining 100% within the navigation beacons. Will Batman return? Yes he will, in the dozen or so titles that bear either his name or the name of one of his associates. Thank goodness his shoulders are broad, for they carry the expectations of at least a couple of hundred thousand faithful.

If you want to learn more about Batman – and who wouldn’t? – why not read The Caped Crusade by Glen Weldon, a fascinating book that I thoroughly recommend. Glen reads his own audiobook too and it is a lot of fun to listen to.

This whole story is dedicated to Darwyn Cooke. I think it goes without saying that I leant heavily on him here. Another set of broad shoulders, always missed.

That wraps up the Giant Days x Batman crossover. What are the thread's thoughts? The Giant Days series is definitely different from Allison's other works, lacking any supernatural or mystery elements and instead focusing on the day-to-day lives of the main cast during their university years. I do think that it might have worked better if the story was a little longer and there was more opportunities for the two casts to interact. That said I still enjoyed the comic, in no small part just due to Allison's boldness in using Batman in his comic, although it would have been interesting if he had gone with his plan B and used a Garfield themed superhero.

If you want to read Allison's Giant Days the series was published by Boom! and collected into 16 volumes (14 collecting the main series and 2 volumes that collect the specials) although I think Allison said that Boom! has stopped printing some of them. You can also find the series digitally on Hoopla if your library has a subscription to the service. They can also be bought digitally from Amazon, but given how much Amazon botched the merger of Comixology into their main website I'm hesitant to recommend buying from them.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I am 100% here for any and all of Allison's works, so thanks for posting that crossover.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I liked pretty much everything he did in this crossover but it is too short for a good Batman story, said the lifelong Batman fan. Everything that just happened including the false lead is Act 1 and most of Act 2 for a good classic Batman tale. Ending before the finale leaves me feeling a bit unsatisfied. Could've held back some of the details and reveals(and everyone making clear that they knew them after the fact) and kept going.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Fingerpori

"Spa for dogs"

The Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps (French pronunciation: ​[siʁkɥi də spa fʁɑ̃kɔʁʃɑ̃]), frequently referred to as Spa,[1][2] is a 7.004 km (4.352 mi) motor-racing circuit located in Stavelot, Belgium.
Why are they driving downhill through Eau Rouge and Raidillon? Stupid dogs.

This also appears to be the original Spa layout because there are no safety barriers and the corner at the end of the Kemmel straight is a lefthander instead of a right.

...On closer inspection, I think the dogs are coming out of La Source and down the old pit straight, with the leader currently going up Raidillon.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 31, 2022

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

It took me a little bit to get onboard with it, but by the time I was fully bought in the whole thing was over! Overall I thought it was fun, but I wish it was like 30% longer.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

DMorbid posted:

This also appears to be the original Spa layout because there are no safety barriers and the corner at the end of the Kemmel straight is a lefthander instead of a right.

More like the Kennel straight.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom (double Hal edition)

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

This aged a bit too well...

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Funny Online "What Did You Think Lean Was, Just A Funny Purple Drink?" Discourse

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Storm P

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Twelve by Pies posted:

I can't tell if I'm overthinking it or if this actually is kinda racist.

I think the joke is just that the salesman bait-and-switched the cat by displaying a cheap coat to get him in the door and upselling mercilessly once inside.

:lmao:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn: Variations on a theme

I guess the framing device is an artifact of whatever context this first appeared in. Or good old Erich just wanted to try something out.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Hi, what is the name of the horrible comic with the fetus?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

csammis posted:

I think the joke is just that the salesman bait-and-switched the cat by displaying a cheap coat to get him in the door and upselling mercilessly once inside.

That is the joke, but the salesman is an anti-semitic caricature. In case the reader didn't get it from the hunched posture, facial hair, pince nez, big gestures, the shop is labelled "Cohen's."

e:

RandomPauI posted:

Distinct recollection that it's called Oh Baby! but I can't find anything for that overly-generic title.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 31, 2022

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

RandomPauI posted:

Oh Baby

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Thanks! Off I'm to a Photoshop phriday thread!

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Mr. Squishy posted:

That is the joke, but the salesman is an anti-semitic caricature. In case the reader didn't get it from the hunched posture, facial hair, pince nez, big gestures, the shop is labelled "Cohen's."

I genuinely did not get that and couldn’t/didn’t read the store sign :(

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

No, no, no, no, NO! This is wrong! Heloise becomes Phantom and she and Kadia get together! Give the people what they want!

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

:lol:

Apartment 3-G

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

No, no, no, no, NO! This is wrong! Heloise becomes Phantom and she and Kadia get together! Give the people what they want!

Phantom: "whoa-whoa-whoa back up Mozz, are you inferring that my daughter wants to bone her brother"

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Oh jeez, I missed three days! But it turns out I got out of sync with GoComics again, so I guess it works out.

Bad Machinery

Basically everything Lottie does here is a reference to a classic pool safety poster that was appended to the original strip. And Alllison did his own Lottified version, if you want a copy.

John Allison posted:

Jack has longstanding guitar dreams but I don't think they've ever come true.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Murdstone posted:

Andertoons

:lol:

I am continually amazed how many distinct and genuinely funny comics Andertoons has managed to build around a line graph and a boardroom table