Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

davidspackage posted:

"Oh, he sent me a picture!"

"His finger looks hurt."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Giant Days x Batman

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

Daisy may think she doesn’t like American superheroes but she has never seen Woodgod, he would have changed her mind.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Giant Ethicist posted:

Rootless Market

Night Visitors

Monya the Grey

I love all of these.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yeah but wait. So the guy became a mouse and looks like a man-shaped mouse, but a snake has become a mouse and has no snake-like physical qualities. And I think when he was a man, he kinda looked like a snake-man as well? How the hell does this work?

I'm pretty sure they showed he still has the tongue.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Murdstone posted:

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

What is this?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
It makes me happy to see Monya happy. :3:

Also holy poo poo :laffo: that god drat FOOB. NOOOOOOOOOOO MY FRIEND IS GAAAAAAY AAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Jucika "122 - Jucika Goes On Vacation"

"vasútállomás = train station, italbolt = liquor store"

"123 - Jucika's Summer" NSFW Nudity

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Cowslips Warren posted:

I am glad Holbrook knows one or two, max, traits about these animals.

Otherwise his snakemouse would have two penises, as that is what snakes have.

Holbrook definitely knows.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Storm P

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Hostile V posted:

God okay this is a real thing that exists and was "popular" when I was still working in movie theaters and before the pandemic. Basically pre-show trailer and commercial rundowns embraced the idea of putting augmented-reality apps on the market place so you could do phone stuff while waiting for the movie to begin. That one in particular is an arcade app where during pre-set times during the pre-film show, the show will transition into a shmup where the content being projected can be interacted with using your phone as a controller/gamepad to shoot at the incoming alien ships and such. It's like fifteen seconds long per level and the idea is you'll use the app and pay attention to it and the show and they can harvest data and stuff while throwing you a bone to play with every now and again.

https://www.noovie.com/arcade

It's, y'know, a lovely and cheap gimmick to give people something to do while waiting for a film in the age of phones to get them to watch ads instead of doing literally anything else on your phone.
Wow I did not know about that, thanks. Sounds like something I'd hate.
I'm not gonna argue I don't deserve that.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Ok Toby, now you should definitely go to HR immediately.

The Phantom

BOOO!

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

"Mr Mordock is askin' about dem pictures you said you was makin' for him."

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Murdstone posted:

I'm not gonna argue I don't deserve that.
I was identifying the comic for you, not razzing you :v

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

BOOO!
Heloise is too clever to rub some dead guy's old noggin for luck and run around in the bush in purple tights; she's going to enact political reform to take down root causes of criminal behaviour and target the wealthy. Vigilantism is old news, Walker.*

*For the Obsolete who Walks!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Ok Toby, now you should definitely go to HR immediately.

Seriously. I know this is a soap opera strip so everyone has to be as dense as possible, but Toby hasn't even tried saying "he keeps following me around. I'm not initiating any of this."

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

M

TegneHanne

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

The_Other posted:

also has anyone heard from Vargo? I've noticed he hasn't posted the past few days, which is a bit of a shame as two of the comics he regularly posts, Breaking Cat News and Wallace the Brave, just celebrated the fifth (BCN) and fourth (WtB) anniversaries of being printed in the newspapers. I hope he is okay.

Haifisch posted:

And while Vargo's MIA(:ohdear:) let's catch up with...

Hello! Don't get COVID, it is very lovely and makes you unable to post good comics. (I'm nearly fully recovered, I'm doing a lot better, thanks for being concerned, thread friends, and for picking up my posting slack.) If you're ever wondering "Is Vargo alive?", you can always check my Twitter: https://twitter.com/SchneidRemarks unless I somehow kick that habit, too!

Catching up, I gotta say I agree with everyone who is wondering what the point of Mark Trail is anymore, and that pretentious fawning article really didn't help. I did like the part where they asked "If the only way to make this appealing is to strip away everything that made it recognizable as Mark Trail, then why are we even still telling stories about Mark Trail?" but that assumes that nu-Trail is appealing, which it deeply isn't.

Also, I don't know, I feel like this FOOB storyline is fine (but also very dumb) for being published in 1993, but it is also a reminder of how unnecessary this strip is today, and how simply by existing, it's taking up space that could be filled by a queer creator telling a story that is needed today, not 25 years ago.

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn: Profession: Inventor

Mystery solved I guess

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

OMFG. Are we going to spend another year on a "what-if" about Heloise?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
A good rule of thumb I've discovered is that if a Nancy starts with a close up of a character talking then it's not worth reading

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Gabriel Set-Up

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

curtadams posted:

OMFG. Are we going to spend another year on a "what-if" about Heloise?

i hope during the 6-month-mark interlude Phantom calls up Heliose and goes "hey honey you know, hypothetically, if you wanted to be the phantom--"

I do genuinely like that the Phantom saw the future of Kit and went "well, i can live with that probably, and Heloise would still be a good phantom", incidentally.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Murdstone posted:

Andertoons

I know this joke has been done to death, but has there ever been a wise man sitting at the top of a mountian dispensing wisdom?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth, in which Ted needs a friend.

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (July 3, 1934)

Peanuts (April 2, 1975)

Funky Winkerbean

Continuing "Crankshaft goes off his meds again" week.

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater gives us...THE BIG REVEAL. Of a sort. (October 29, 1938)

Out Our Way (June 23-25, 1938)

Toonerville Folks (November 28-30, 1918, which includes Thanksgiving, in case you were wondering about that first one.)

Dok's "Adventures in Morally Unacceptable Fermentation" Duck (January 10, 1914 (spoilered for vaguely racial stereotyping.))

Little Lefty (April 6-8, 1936)

We now return to the heart-stopping excitement of Blondie (From Zero) shifting back into low gear. (October 8-10, 1931)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

oof.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Zits

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
What boys would loving dare throw mud in the powerful Katrinka's wash tub?

They clearly didn't know it was hers.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Is there some legitimate reason why a teenage girl would use an excessive amount of data, or is this just Kelley going "Hmm, teenage girls used to tie up the phone line for hours, but I hear that's not a thing any more, so I guess the modern version of that must be using up all the internet!"?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Tiggum posted:

Is there some legitimate reason why a teenage girl would use an excessive amount of data, or is this just Kelley going "Hmm, teenage girls used to tie up the phone line for hours, but I hear that's not a thing any more, so I guess the modern version of that must be using up all the internet!"?

If she just streams TV and doomscrolls her feed all day that can eat up an actual data plan pretty fast, tbh

i have a customer whose use appears to be nothing but keeping a TV streaming garbage literally 24/7 (seriously, 24/7, he calls so fast in an interruption he's as good as any monitoring sytem you could make) and he uses about 2tb / month

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! April 11, 1919

Outbursts of Everett True April 12, 1919

Cat Tales March 17, 1925

Oaky Doaks September 21, 1936

Mopsy November 29, 1937

Up Front February 27, 1945

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

So It Seems June 10, 1952

Those Were the Days October 1, 1959

Wee Pals June 13, 1966

Dogbert February 20, 1967

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

This is a super weird reaction but also one you might realistically get in the 90's. People had VERY weird ideas about what it meant to be gay at the time. Also, to the author's credit they seem to be depicting this behavior as irrational so I'm not sure we can call this arc "bad" per se (yet).

Big Nate Year 1 (Feb 12-13, 1991)

Why is Nate's art teacher teaching the kids with pen and ink? In a middle school setting that feels like playing with fire.

Old School Peanuts (Jun 15, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Nov 25-26, 1990)

No Blind Alley today

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Rootless Market

Night Visitors

Monya the Grey

End chapter 3!

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Give KC Green Mark Trail imo

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Slammy posted:

Cat Tales March 16, 1925

I can't tell if I'm overthinking it or if this actually is kinda racist.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I don't like it when I get behind on this thread because I start skipping even more comics than I usually do.

I really appreciate that people post so much stuff tho. Thanks!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Giant Ethicist posted:

Monya the Grey

End chapter 3!

Yeah you fuckin tell 'em, Dorothy.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
SISTERS BEFORE MISTERS, DOROTHY :toot:

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
It's not that the FBoFW arc is bad is it's just a lot to recontextualize in your mind after everything we now know about Lynn and her family

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
If she is a powerful witch, wouldn't you want to be on her good side, Mr. Blue Suit?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

monya rules, great comic

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Shugojin posted:

If she just streams TV and doomscrolls her feed all day that can eat up an actual data plan pretty fast, tbh

i have a customer whose use appears to be nothing but keeping a TV streaming garbage literally 24/7 (seriously, 24/7, he calls so fast in an interruption he's as good as any monitoring sytem you could make) and he uses about 2tb / month
That seems more like something the parents would do, but I don't know any teenage girls so maybe I'm wrong. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I can't tell if I'm overthinking it or if this actually is kinda racist.

As far as the stereotype, you're not imagining it. Whether it crosses a line, I've kinda been thinking about that all day. With the silent nature of the strip it depends on what the reader thinks is implied in a different way from, say, Doc Duck or Out Our Way where there's other things to consider.