Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

“At first, I was skeptical because I thought it was a Ponzi scam” - quote from man scammed in ponzi scheme

Eh it reads like he has actually gotten more money out of it than he put in, which to be fair can also be true of people getting in on the early layers of a literal ponzi scheme. Those aren't the people who I'd describe as getting scammed though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
It's wild how it was hacked. The game has so many transactions that it would have been too slow and expensive to run them on the etherium blockchain, so instead they built their own custom blockchain to run alongside the game and handle the bulk of transactions. It's only when players pay in or cash out that the transactions are done on eth.

So the hackers exploited the poorly designed side blockchain to steal everything. Players supposedly won't be affected as venture capitalists are pumping so much money into it, they can replace what was lost.

100s of millions of money being secured by people who I wouldn't trust to maintain web forums.

Marenghi has issued a correction as of 11:52 on Mar 30, 2022

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

Eh it reads like he has actually gotten more money out of it than he put in, which to be fair can also be true of people getting in on the early layers of a literal ponzi scheme. Those aren't the people who I'd describe as getting scammed though.

Every single crypto person describes whatever they're doing like they've gotten more money out of it than they put in even though they actually haven't, it's kinda their whole thing

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Shame Boy posted:

Every single crypto person describes whatever they're doing like they've gotten more money out of it than they put in even though they actually haven't, it's kinda their whole thing
on the one hand I would totally expect a journalist to track down one of the few people who actually made money (because then it can be a puff piece!)

on the other I would totally expect a journalist to take all lies about how much was made at face value

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

on the one hand I would totally expect a journalist to track down one of the few people who actually made money (because then it can be a puff piece!)

on the other I would totally expect a journalist to take all lies about how much was made at face value

It wouldn't be the first video game where you could grind out second world wages by playing. The article is showing how a few hundred dollars a month is a rounding error for finance ghouls but life changing money for people in underdeveloped countries (and subsequently how that money on the table leads to rent-seekers becoming the middle-man).

The article read to me as a description of people doing whatever they can to improve their meager lives during an economic collapse, and how capital has built an elaborate house of cards which profits off that desperation.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Logans run unironically.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

If these kids were smart, they would've been born before things got expensive!

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

SpacePig posted:

If these kids were smart, they would've been born before things got expensive!

Is there anyone more entitled than a blackrock founder? Is that even possible?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

TehSaurus posted:

Is there anyone more entitled than a blackrock founder? Is that even possible?

E: didn't notice the picture lobbed some heads off.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Can see some more heads needing lopped off

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Are those all Elon's kids?

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Ham Equity posted:

Are those all Elon's kids?

They are his clones, to be harvested when his organs fail

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I think that was after alphabet soup was born but before whatever the most recent one is named.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

little munchkin posted:

It wouldn't be the first video game where you could grind out second world wages by playing. The article is showing how a few hundred dollars a month is a rounding error for finance ghouls but life changing money for people in underdeveloped countries (and subsequently how that money on the table leads to rent-seekers becoming the middle-man).

The article read to me as a description of people doing whatever they can to improve their meager lives during an economic collapse, and how capital has built an elaborate house of cards which profits off that desperation.

Yeah, none of this is in any way new. And for crypto's and NFT's many, many faults (it's all faults) they didn't cause this poo poo.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Amphigory posted:

Can see some more heads needing lopped off

That's ignorant of two full centuries of development.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
I have a dental surgery coming up that's gonna run $3k, and only after I have paid in full day of service does my insurance decide whether they cover any of it and reimburses me. Ya know, if they feel like it.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

bag em and tag em posted:

I have a dental surgery coming up that's gonna run $3k, and only after I have paid in full day of service does my insurance decide whether they cover any of it and reimburses me. Ya know, if they feel like it.

Could probably save some money by flying to Mexico or Poland for it and also have a fun lil adventure.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Would that be the co-founder who was convicted of insider trading?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

evilpicard posted:

Would that be the co-founder who was convicted of insider trading?

Sounds like someone living the hustle.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

BonHair posted:

That's ignorant of two full centuries of development.

Comrade woodchipper is a vanguard member.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010

Shame Boy posted:

I've got a friend who got into some pretty bad gambling debt in his twenties. Over about 10 years he managed to pay it back and stop gambling.

Recently he's been talking about crypto in the same kinda way where you only hear about the wins. Got me pretty worried tbh.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

I've got a friend who got into some pretty bad gambling debt in his twenties. Over about 10 years he managed to pay it back and stop gambling.

Recently he's been talking about crypto in the same kinda way where you only hear about the wins. Got me pretty worried tbh.

Yeah I had a couple of buddies that got into crypto and meme stocks. I told them they sounded like someone with a gambling addition when they were talking about it.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

McCracAttack posted:

Yeah I had a couple of buddies that got into crypto and meme stocks. I told them they sounded like someone with a gambling addition when they were talking about it.

I've been saying stocks are just gambling for years. It's criminal.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's only gambling if you're poor. Once you're rich enough the house just gives you money

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

bag em and tag em posted:

They will try not to pay for it and look for any loophole or minor thing you haven't completed or admitted to not pay for it.
As if insurers have a day where they feel like paying

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

except in very unique circumstances (USAA car insurance being one and only because it's almost like a union) insurance companies are "you can't make money by spending money" writ large

they'll spend money on advertising, of course, but the second you, as an insured person, gently caress with some middle manager's bottom line for the quarter?

lol

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

FFT posted:

except in very unique circumstances (USAA car insurance being one and only because it's almost like a union) insurance companies are "you can't make money by spending money" writ large

they'll spend money on advertising, of course, but the second you, as an insured person, gently caress with some middle manager's bottom line for the quarter?

lol

I’ve heard awful stories about USAA when it comes time to collect

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

FFT posted:

lol

My favorite was when they tried to junk my car rather than pay for the repairs. Two separate times in the process.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

Orange DeviI posted:

Actually, never mind. All your ‘funny comments’ regarding the Dutch language are really annoying. Just another example of the sad state of cspam culture. What happened to solidarity?

Says the guy who regularly made racist comments about Germans.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Relevant Tangent posted:

My favorite was when they tried to junk my car rather than pay for the repairs. Two separate times in the process.

why wouldn’t you want a new car, did you not have gap insurance or equivalent on your policy

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

indigi posted:

why wouldn’t you want a new car, did you not have gap insurance or equivalent on your policy

They don't pay you enough for a new car, they pay you the cash value of your old car, which means you have to go from what is likely a reliable car that you know the ins and outs of to whatever you can get from a dealer.

Unless you had a loan for more than a car is worth, in which case rather than getting paid out and having a repaired car that you can drive, you have loving nothing, and have to start over again on the payments.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Ham Equity posted:

They don't pay you enough for a new car, they pay you the cash value of your old car, which means you have to go from what is likely a reliable car that you know the ins and outs of to whatever you can get from a dealer.

Unless you had a loan for more than a car is worth, in which case rather than getting paid out and having a repaired car that you can drive, you have loving nothing, and have to start over again on the payments.

That's been my experience with two other insurance companies.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/banished_duck/status/1509246371408363525

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

indigi posted:

New cars are going for $15k over the blue book value. Also they lose half that value when you drive them off the lot. The money I'd get for my car is nowhere near enough to get a new car. It's not even enough to get a new used car.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

cars aren’t losing half their value after driving off the lot right now. some are appreciating in value, at least vs MSRP because by definition a used car is available now and the wait time for some popular vehicle orders is a year or more.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

cars aren’t losing half their value after driving off the lot right now. some are appreciating in value, at least vs MSRP because by definition a used car is available now and the wait time for some popular vehicle orders is a year or more.

I hate my car and don't want to keep it but my lease is ending this summer and at this point, it would be leaving free money on the table to just walk away and not buy it out for the price that was agreed upon in 2018 lol

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i bought my car in april of 2021 and it has 7k miles on it and the dealer begs me to buy it back constantly for 5k over list

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

boar guy posted:

i bought my car in april of 2021 and it has 7k miles on it and the dealer begs me to buy it back constantly for 5k over list

right, i'm wondering if at the end of my lease I can basically ask them for 2 grand to avoid the hassle of selling me my car and then buying it back from me, and use it to get a nice ebike instead lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I feel like using the loving cato institute to make this point is cheating

e: Or I guess the point is it's the thing google's incredibly stupid and ill-advised "find answers instead of search results" feature pulled, ok that's bad