Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Blamestorm posted:

Ankh seems to have come and gone without making a huge impact (other than SWVAG's game of the year) but I think it's really good. I also don't find it at all like Lang's other stuff, it really feels to me like as if Knizia took a whack at a DoAM game like he did with deckbuilders and Quest for El Dorado. It has very little randomness but a lot of variability due to the way the players can reconfigure the board. I think if it used tokens instead of massive minis it might be compared to a whole bunch of more abstract games rather than Blood Rage, Kemet etc. The merge mechanic is super important to make people aware of (essentially, the two players in last position merge into one faction with double turns about 3/4ths to 4/5ths through the game) because you need to plan around it, but it's a really interesting catch up mechanism that has made every game I've played tight right up until the end. It's also fairly fast to play with a bit of experience.

edit: and in fact I think Ankh possibly hasn't been as big a deal as say Blood Rage and probably won't because it's a much deeper and more strategic game, but it initially LOOKs like something much more ameri-trashy.

Ankh is freakin great, especially for the extremely low rules overhead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

Rockman Reserve posted:

Ankh is freakin great, especially for the extremely low rules overhead.

Yep. I can explain the rules in like 5-10 minutes and as everyone has the same upgrades and cards there isn’t a huge amount of in game stuff to get across.

That said why I think it might be a surprise to some people is that the actual strategy takes some time to grok I think. Especially as the board regions start to split up.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Infinitum posted:

It's a KS game, and has been stuck in development hell for years - Devs just want to make it better and better and better, instead of just releasing the loving thing.

I would legit just investigate making your own PNP copy of it.

NRB does regular plays of it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjBGVW67Igs

Interesting. I didn't realize they have continued to change the game. I've been playing it once a year for the past 2-3 years at an event a friend hosts. So I'm probably playing a pretty old version that was self-made. What have they updated?

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Elman posted:

What's a good 4-6 player game? I was thinking of picking up Mysterium or Funemployed but I'm open to suggestions. While I'd prefer something relatively light, a heavier game might be fine if it's not too time consuming.
Medici (fairly light)
Evolution: Climate (medium-light)

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

Elman posted:

What's a good 4-6 player game? I was thinking of picking up Mysterium or Funemployed but I'm open to suggestions. While I'd prefer something relatively light, a heavier game might be fine if it's not too time consuming.

Funemployed is just Cards Against Humanity but you have to explain the joke. Not much of a game at all really, firmly in the 'party' category for when we have 8+ people and have already played the better party games that night.

Mysterium has gotten a LOT of table time. How long the game takes is hugely dependent on the player running the ghost. The most down time in the game is waiting for the ghost to assign visions, and a player that is indecisive or uncreative will choke hard doing this and bog the game down.

We play it so much we got the carnival mini-version of last week, though we haven't played it yet, though that should change this weekend.

If we want to play something like Mysterium but shorter, Deception: Murder in Hong Kong works well.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Elman posted:

Condottiere is a little meatier for a card game but it absolutely slaps at 4-6. If your friends are gamers you can also introduce it as “Played The Witcher? This is the game Gwent is based on”

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Elman posted:

Long Shot: The Dice Game fits perfectly here.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Slyphic posted:

Mysterium has gotten a LOT of table time. How long the game takes is hugely dependent on the player running the ghost. The most down time in the game is waiting for the ghost to assign visions, and a player that is indecisive or uncreative will choke hard doing this and bog the game down.
I wonder if playing with 2 ghosts would help speed things up (or make things even longer as they wouldn't reach a consensus quickly without talking). Or even have each ghost have their own set of cards if need be.

Next time I play Mysterium, I intend to use some of the original Ukrainian rules and just ignore the fiddly guessing minigame, plus everyone will be able to see the 3 cards during the finale.

Llyranor fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 31, 2022

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Elman posted:

Mysterium, definitely

Mysterium park is a lot faster to set up and is lighter overall but I prefer the original both because I prefer the artwork and mysterium park doesn’t give the ghost player their own copy of the cards on the table, which amounts to a lot of uncomfortable squinting at things and missed details

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 31, 2022

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Elman posted:

Chinatown only plays up to 5 but it's an absolute banger: rules light, easy for people to understand, but with enough bite and crunch to be satisfying.
6 Nimmt!/Take 5 is a crowd pleaser that works well at your player counts. It's very light but a great game to crack open if you all just want to chill.
Between Two Castles of Mad King Ludwig is a fun medium-weight game where you're cooperating with your two neighbors to build castles, but only the person with the best lesser of their two cooperative scores will win. Can be a bit fiddly, but a good time if everybody's in the mood.
Decrypto is the best word game once you get everyone on board and through the confusion of the "interception" part of the game.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Slyphic posted:

Mysterium has a listed play time of 42 minutes because it's assumed you'll be timing the Ghost every round as well.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Megasabin posted:

Interesting. I didn't realize they have continued to change the game. I've been playing it once a year for the past 2-3 years at an event a friend hosts. So I'm probably playing a pretty old version that was self-made. What have they updated?

Not as much as you'd think.

They've been fiddling with the aesthetics up the wazoo.

Mechanically, they've been trying to play out all the combinations (which is impossible), trying to isolate the weird corner cases that they can either clarify in the rules or make very slight changes to ability phrasing. I think the changes have been more to the advanced playsets of Sects and Violets and Bad Moon Rising. If you've mostly been playing Trouble Brewing you're probably playing the same game.

Here's the wiki, which I think is reasonably current: https://wiki.bloodontheclocktower.com/Trouble_Brewing

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Hey again I hope this is still on subject. I just unsubbed from MindClash's newsletter and told them I would not support Kickstarter and thus had no interest in their newsletter. Maybe if more of us did this we could make a point? Can't hurt right?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Mysterium, definitely

Mysterium park is a lot faster to set up and is lighter overall but I prefer the original both because I prefer the artwork and mysterium park doesn’t give the ghost player their own copy of the cards on the table, which amounts to a lot of uncomfortable squinting at things and missed details

I have the slightly controversial opinion that Obscurio is a better game than Mysterium. They're both good but there's just more game to Obscurio.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

Llyranor posted:

I wonder if playing with 2 ghosts would help speed things up (or make things even longer as they wouldn't reach a consensus quickly without talking). Or even have each ghost have their own set of cards if need be.
everyone will be able to see the 3 cards during the finale.

We tried Ghost Team once. They have to whisper to each other and can't pay as much attention to the table and neither helps in any way. Two ghosts with two decks might work, never tried that.

90% of the time, all or all-but-one player sees the 3 cards. We stopped bothering with the betting on guesses section entirely. It really adds very little to the game.

Jedit posted:

42 minutes because it's assumed you'll be timing the Ghost every round as well.

The sand timer is only for when the ghost has handed out all the visions. The time suck happens during the handing out visions phase before the timer comes into play.

I don't think I'd get much traction for enforcing more timing in the game.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

We're anticipating using it in a more intimate setup, 4 people around a small table, so I'm not overly worried about that, but can definitely see how that'd be a problem. I don't anticipate it replacing Mysterium for us, but being a travel alternative, or group size dictating which one we pull out.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Slightly wildcard 4-6 player suggestions:

For Science! Is a fully coop real time dexterity stacking gaming. Plays in 15 minutes and is pretty excellent.

Sidereal Confluence:a game of trading and negotiating in the Elysium Quadrant is a real time 4-9 player trading and negotiation game that is a bit heavier. Edit: though less good at 4 so not great if you're mostly 4 and sometimes plus.

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Jolly good show, eh old man?

Elman posted:

Relatively light 4-6 player games are almost exclusively card games for me: bohnanza, No thanks!, For Sale, and 6 nimit! are the four that I pretty much always carry with me I’m a single cut down box.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Llyranor posted:

Next time I play Mysterium, I intend to use some of the original Ukrainian rules and just ignore the fiddly guessing minigame, plus everyone will be able to see the 3 cards during the finale.

2 ghosts is a total toss-up, it heavily depends on the ghosts and their familiarity with the game, and if you have two indecisive ghosts it multiplies the time suck. That said we frequently do two ghosts when playing with six mediums, and the ghosts just split the table down the middle and each get three mediums they give visions to, and that actually works alright. It does add to the confusion in the guessing phase but at least with the people I play with that tends to be more fun overall. 2 ghosts for the whole table is tough unless the ghosts are okay with pointing and gesturing and probably misunderstanding each other more often than not, which once again can be its own sort of fun.

Absolutely ditch the clairvoyance track, it adds very little if anything to the game and only penalizes players for not being on the same wavelength as the ghost. It's pretty transparently something that was added to try to give the mediums something to do while the ghost dithers.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Mayveena posted:

Anyone play 1848? We’re playing the GMT version on Friday. If so, any thoughts?

Unsure if you read my thoughts on it from about last week or so but I've only played it once and really liked it. It's a very tight map with tons of tokening opportunities so things can get ruthless. The Bank of England is a fascinating mechanic that unlike 1860 (in my recollection) has some serious consequences for deliberately sending a company into bankruptcy for the director and everyone else involved but also can reward people for investing in the institution! Tile options seem a bit limited too so be careful.

The initial auction is curious too because you have the option to either reduce the price of something or just pay for a private based on its current price. Additionally, note that the last two privates cannot be sold to a corp, so be careful. I had a discussion with some other people who've played it and they said those companies (especially the second last one) were basically reduced to rock-bottom prices before being grabbed but I got the B&O equivalent for a minor discount and ended up winning in spite of my bad play.

Also, don't forget the K to K(s) bonuses, they're worth a ton of dosh.

Also also, the gauge changes are whenever you take a train from one different coloured section of the map to another. They are surprisingly painful and can hurt what would be a perfect run, so consider spending a bit extra to buy the + verison of the train which is essentially a free gauge change on top of the train number.

I think '48 is a really really interesting design and might play very quickly with the right groups. Excited to hear that you're playing it and am curious as to your thoughts afterwards.

Wish Ark Nova would show up here but I'm worried it's gonna fly off the shelf but not like I have time lately anyway.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

FulsomFrank posted:

Unsure if you read my thoughts on it from about last week or so but I've only played it once and really liked it. It's a very tight map with tons of tokening opportunities so things can get ruthless. The Bank of England is a fascinating mechanic that unlike 1860 (in my recollection) has some serious consequences for deliberately sending a company into bankruptcy for the director and everyone else involved but also can reward people for investing in the institution! Tile options seem a bit limited too so be careful.

The initial auction is curious too because you have the option to either reduce the price of something or just pay for a private based on its current price. Additionally, note that the last two privates cannot be sold to a corp, so be careful. I had a discussion with some other people who've played it and they said those companies (especially the second last one) were basically reduced to rock-bottom prices before being grabbed but I got the B&O equivalent for a minor discount and ended up winning in spite of my bad play.

Also, don't forget the K to K(s) bonuses, they're worth a ton of dosh.

Also also, the gauge changes are whenever you take a train from one different coloured section of the map to another. They are surprisingly painful and can hurt what would be a perfect run, so consider spending a bit extra to buy the + verison of the train which is essentially a free gauge change on top of the train number.

I think '48 is a really really interesting design and might play very quickly with the right groups. Excited to hear that you're playing it and am curious as to your thoughts afterwards.

Wish Ark Nova would show up here but I'm worried it's gonna fly off the shelf but not like I have time lately anyway.

Thanks I must have missed your previous post. I'm going over the rules with a fine tooth comb so I can be prepared for our session. Any thoughts on '49? I was thinking about playing that on 18xx.games hotseat style.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Mayveena posted:

Hey again I hope this is still on subject. I just unsubbed from MindClash's newsletter and told them I would not support Kickstarter and thus had no interest in their newsletter. Maybe if more of us did this we could make a point? Can't hurt right?

Did I miss something upthread? Did Mindclash do something specifically or are you just unfollowing any companies that give Kickstarter business?

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Mayveena posted:

Thanks I must have missed your previous post. I'm going over the rules with a fine tooth comb so I can be prepared for our session. Any thoughts on '49? I was thinking about playing that on 18xx.games hotseat style.

Everybody seems to like 1849. It's mean enough for the 1830 players and has the partial cap, random setup, and multiple track types for me.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Memnaelar posted:

Did I miss something upthread? Did Mindclash do something specifically or are you just unfollowing any companies that give Kickstarter business?

Yes I'm unfollowing any companies that give Kickstarter business. There's simply nothing about them that makes me want to give them money. They claim to be a public benefit corporation but it turns out those words are meaningless because there's no enforcement of them except through their own board. So if their board thinks blockchain is great then by definition getting involved is a benefit for the public. This is complete and total bullshit. So no more KS for me. Naturally I respect others opinions on this matter and won't be criticizing folks who make a different decision.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Elman posted:

Northern Pacific is a very light train game. The presentation isn't flashy but it's quick to teach and play, and has a lot of fun interaction with players screwing each other one minute and working together the next.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Kickstarter said they wanted to decentralize their platform three months ago and used the word "blockchain" once and now everyone seems to think they're in on Buttcoins and Monkey jpegs.

e: It's actually way more boring than that. They just said they're going to spin off a company that's going to fund an open-source project to make a (carbon-neutral) public blockchain, and eventually will move the main site over to it. I haven't heard a word about it since the vague media release three months ago.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Apr 1, 2022

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

PRADA SLUT posted:

Kickstarter said they wanted to decentralize their platform three months ago and used the word "blockchain" once and now everyone seems to think they're in on Buttcoins and Monkey jpegs.

e: It's actually way more boring than that. They just said they're going to spin off a company that's going to fund an open-source project to make a (carbon-neutral) public blockchain, and eventually will move the main site over to it. I haven't heard a word about it since the vague media release three months ago.

This post has been reported so you don't have to report it again.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I just wish bigger publishers would just do preorders instead of dumb "kickstarter" funding, that they don't actually need flexible funding, they just want to know how many units to build. They could just skip straight to preorders (and if for some reason the game isn't popular enough to be profitable, just cancel the project and refund the preorders).

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Slyphic posted:

We tried Ghost Team once. They have to whisper to each other and can't pay as much attention to the table and neither helps in any way. Two ghosts with two decks might work, never tried that.

MockingQuantum posted:

2 ghosts is a total toss-up, it heavily depends on the ghosts and their familiarity with the game, and if you have two indecisive ghosts it multiplies the time suck. That said we frequently do two ghosts when playing with six mediums, and the ghosts just split the table down the middle and each get three mediums they give visions to, and that actually works alright. It does add to the confusion in the guessing phase but at least with the people I play with that tends to be more fun overall. 2 ghosts for the whole table is tough unless the ghosts are okay with pointing and gesturing and probably misunderstanding each other more often than not, which once again can be its own sort of fun.
Definitely sounds like we should divide the players up between the 2 ghosts if we ever do that, then.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Mayveena posted:

Yes I'm unfollowing any companies that give Kickstarter business. There's simply nothing about them that makes me want to give them money. They claim to be a public benefit corporation but it turns out those words are meaningless because there's no enforcement of them except through their own board. So if their board thinks blockchain is great then by definition getting involved is a benefit for the public. This is complete and total bullshit. So no more KS for me. Naturally I respect others opinions on this matter and won't be criticizing folks who make a different decision.

tbh kickstarter enabling the endless production of miniature based plastic board games shipped overseas from china to be played once and never again is probably worse than whatever crypto related things they've done

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Mayveena posted:

This post has been reported so you don't have to report it again.

If a post gets reported a bunch then posters are told they can't report it so you don't need to say this

PRADA SLUT posted:

jarofpiss posted:

tbh kickstarter enabling the endless production of miniature based plastic board games shipped overseas from china to be played once and never again is probably worse than whatever crypto related things they've done

Do all of us more or less understand why both of these posts are wrong and not good faith arguments or will I or someone else need to write up why both of these posts are wrong, invalid, or otherwise just goalpost shifting and whataboutism?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

jarofpiss posted:

then you should be glad that people are up in arms about the blockchain bullshit, because that means fewer people willing to engage with Kickstarter and ultimately less plastic being shipped. hooray!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
it's also debatable whether larger gross energy expenditure to deliver physical products that theoretically have value is in fact more wasteful than a potentially smaller energy expenditure to deliver absolutely nothing of value to anybody

but either way, anything that dissuades people from participating in mindless kickstarter consumption is probably a good thing.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Like I've been slowly working on a game design in the background for a while now, but environmental factors are definitely a concern for me even in the pre-planning stage.
Wood and cardboard for me, and recycled plastics if I can't avoid it.

In the grand scheme of things environmental collapse isn't going to occur because Lil Timmy wanted some minis, but the industry 100% should be moving towards better manufacturing processes that are less impactful on the environment.

~The Blockchain~ and all its nonsense does have an impact, and companies that want to move in that direction should be told to go gently caress themselves.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I have somewhere around $1-2k in assorted Magic singles I want to unload as a lot. Where should I trade them in (online) to turn them into board games? I need somewhere that buys Magic and sells Board Games. CSI?

Infinitum posted:

~The Blockchain~ and all its nonsense does have an impact, and companies that want to move in that direction should be told to go gently caress themselves.

I'm curious what the net change is when you replace existing infrastructure. Presumably, Kickstarter (or anyone else for that matter) would shut down the majority of its servers, databases, auxiliary systems, etc (or broadly, AWS, which still lowers the overall footprint of the datacenter) if they no longer needed to maintain the same level of infrastructure.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

You leave the infrastructure as is, and feed it with clean energy rather than fossil fuels.

But that's a discussion for a different thread.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

If a post gets reported a bunch then posters are told they can't report it so you don't need to say this

Do all of us more or less understand why both of these posts are wrong and not good faith arguments or will I or someone else need to write up why both of these posts are wrong, invalid, or otherwise just goalpost shifting and whataboutism?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
lmao did you really just try to pwn me with imgflip

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
I think the damage to the planet Kickstarter has enabled by promoting plastic bling dwarfs in comparison to the damage it has done by enabling Star Citizen.

No jumping ahead in the crimes against humanity queue.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Hey folks can we move on? Thanks. If we are talking about KS in general and not specifically to board games, that discussion belongs in the KS thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Tempura Wizard posted:

Between Two Castles of Mad King Ludwig is a fun medium-weight game where you're cooperating with your two neighbors to build castles, but only the person with the best lesser of their two cooperative scores will win. Can be a bit fiddly, but a good time if everybody's in the mood.

I do love this game but make sure you either have good eyesight and a bright gaming room or the iOS app for scoring because man those are some tiny scoring icons.

On the other hand it's incredibly accessible because new players have a buddy on each side of them to help them play which is great.