Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

What is this, the 5th time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

But where are they going to park their targets now?

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Pook Good Mook posted:

I have a feeling it's going to stick better this time

Get wrecked Putin

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Doccers posted:

Sadly the gun would not work in the t72/t80 chassis.

The m256 120mm uses a single piece, semicombustble case which requires a loader to handle, while the t-series uses two piece ammunition with an autoloader. The m256 ammo cases are too fragile for an autoloader to reliably handle as I understand it, and there is simply no room for a loader in the much smaller turret/chassis.

They would be better off, imho, purchasing leopards/challengers/m1 export variants, until they can design their own, rather than stick with the t-series. The autoloader is slower, more prone to failure, and results in drastically lower crew survivability than having a loader does.

There are 120mm Rheinmetall armed (or armed with guns that fire compatible shells like the French GIAT CN120) tanks that have autoloaders like the Japanese Type 90, French Leclerc, and South Korean K2. The autoloader is just placed in the turret bustle instead of the hull.

That also allows for the addition of blowout panels to minimize the chance of exploding ammo catapulting the turret into space.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Orthanc6 posted:

I have a feeling it's going to stick better this time

Get wrecked Putin
Probably, but I think they're just running away to reinforce the eastern front. So hopefull they won't all reach Belarus.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Pook Good Mook posted:

Russia's had control of it since the early days of the war (despite the famously failed VDV assault).

Clarence
May 3, 2012

How does the size of the T-84 turret ring compare to that of the M1 (and similar)?

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Doccers posted:

The autoloader is slower, more prone to failure, and results in drastically lower crew survivability than having a loader does.

I'm not a tank expert, but this always surprises me. Loading ammo into a gun seems like something that should be easy to automate and provide improved performance over a human.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

There are 120mm Rheinmetall armed (or armed with guns that fire compatible shells like the French GIAT CN120) tanks that have autoloaders like the Japanese Type 90, French Leclerc, and South Korean K2. The autoloader is just placed in the turret bustle instead of the hull.

That also allows for the addition of blowout panels to minimize the chance of exploding ammo catapulting the turret into space.

I learned something today! Neat!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Relatively good news!

https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1509557101248626692?t=EWZ0u0keu85DryRG2yyvjQ&s=19

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Morrow posted:

I'm not a tank expert, but this always surprises me. Loading ammo into a gun seems like something that should be easy to automate and provide improved performance over a human.

Its pretty fast, but its not much faster than a human loader.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Morrow posted:

I recall watching a documentary that stated the study of ergonomics is what reversed that - by optimizing the ammo storage and location of the loader/gun, you can just reach in, pull the round out, flop it over and ram it home in one fluid motion now. They had footage of a loader doing it in an m1 and I was suitably impressed, ill try and find that when I get home.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Doccers posted:

Sadly the gun would not work in the t72/t80 chassis.

The m256 120mm uses a single piece, semicombustble case which requires a loader to handle, while the t-series uses two piece ammunition with an autoloader. The m256 ammo cases are too fragile for an autoloader to reliably handle as I understand it, and there is simply no room for a loader in the much smaller turret/chassis.

They would be better off, imho, purchasing leopards/challengers/m1 export variants, until they can design their own, rather than stick with the t-series. The autoloader is slower, more prone to failure, and results in drastically lower crew survivability than having a loader does.

Probably different gun, but there seem to be a T84-120 that's designed for NATO stuff?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

CommieGIR posted:

Its pretty fast, but its not much faster than a human loader.

A well trained M1 loader works faster than an autoloader. Autoloaders in Soviet doctrine are strictly a function of fielding more tanks and paying for 1 less tank crewman on each one. Also if you want to switch from APFSDS-DU rounds to HEAT for a softer target a trained human can do this easier and better than an autoloader which depending on the tank may not even be able to switch ammo without firing.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Doccers posted:

That is my guess of what they will do in the short term until they can get their own design. They will likely move away from the Warsaw Pact autoloader designs going forward since we have seen the massive downsides of that in this conflict.

The Ukrainians have some pretty savvy defense engineers so if they get an influx of money you could see some pretty impressive stuff out of them.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Doccers posted:

I recall watching a documentary that stated the study of ergonomics is what reversed that - by optimizing the ammo storage and location of the loader/gun, you can just reach in, pull the round out, flop it over and ram it home in one fluid motion now. They had footage of a loader doing it in an m1 and I was suitably impressed, ill try and find that when I get home.

This doesn't surprise me at all. Humans are really good at optimizing things to perform a task as quickly and with the least physical effort possible. If a loading machine breaks it may put the unit out of commission for some time as it will need parts and time for repair. If a human loader breaks inside the tank the tank probably isn't functioning any more anyway.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Kraftwerk posted:

A well trained M1 loader works faster than an autoloader. Autoloaders in Soviet doctrine are strictly a function of fielding more tanks and paying for 1 less tank crewman on each one.

It also means you can make the tank lighter (allowing it to use more bridges) and lower to the ground (reducing the target profile).

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Morrow posted:

The key is doing it in a mechanically reliable and safe way.

If you're not worries about that you can get some absurdly fast results. The US played around with autoloaders a lot in the 50s in various prototype tanks that didn't go anywhere (T57 heavy tank, T69 medium etc) using oscillating turrets and even with the tech at the time they were able to put together a heavy tank that fired 120mm shells at a rate of 30 rounds a minute. But was a super complicated mechanism and just couldn't do so reliably.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

KitConstantine posted:

This doesn't surprise me at all. Humans are really good at optimizing things to perform a task as quickly and with the least physical effort possible. If a loading machine breaks it may put the unit out of commission for some time as it will need parts and time for repair. If a human loader breaks inside the tank the tank probably isn't functioning any more anyway.

If a human loader starts malfunctioning, you can just give it a pep talk and more caffeine.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Flappy Bert posted:

It also means you can make the tank lighter (allowing it to use more bridges) and lower to the ground (reducing the target profile).

Aren't the M1s much larger and heavier than Soviet tanks anyway? I suppose it could've been even fatter with an autoloader...

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Who's ready for a good old fashioned belt fed automatic tank gun that spits out shells into the air?

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Morrow posted:

Delicate ammo/propellents + has to work in a war environment around 18yr olds + severe space limitations means that humans can actually compete quite well with autoloaders.

As was pointed out autoloaders are mostly seen as a economic win since it lets you eliminate 1 person from the tank crew.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Kraftwerk posted:

A well trained M1 loader works faster than an autoloader. Autoloaders in Soviet doctrine are strictly a function of fielding more tanks and paying for 1 less tank crewman on each one. Also if you want to switch from APFSDS-DU rounds to HEAT for a softer target a trained human can do this easier and better than an autoloader which depending on the tank may not even be able to switch ammo without firing.

Yes, but that's also because the M1 uses single piece ammo. If the M1 used two piece ammo, the loading speeds would likely be comparable. That's the issue in doing a 1:1 comparison loading speed wise. Completely different ammo systems. You can rapidly load a cannon if the entire round is one piece.

Better comparison: The Strv 103 had single piece ammo and an autoloader, it has a 1.5 second reload speed. That was a 105mm cannon.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 31, 2022

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

mobby_6kl posted:

Aren't the M1s much larger and heavier than Soviet tanks anyway? I suppose it could've been even fatter with an autoloader...

They meant the opposite - the t72/80 were designed with an autoloader so that it would a: use fewer crew, b: be smaller for those reasons, c:be lighter.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

KitConstantine posted:

There is this YouTube guy called The Chieftain, served in Iraq as a platoon commander, and in one of his QA sessions, he says that human loaders outperform autoloaders for the first few shells while the ammo is located on something called a 'ready rack' or if safety procedures are bypassed like lap loading is done. But if the fighting is sustained, the autoloader wins in the long run.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Doccers posted:

They meant the opposite - the t72/80 were designed with an autoloader so that it would a: use fewer crew, b: be smaller for those reasons, c:be lighter.

Ah yeah you're right, I'm a dumb-dumb

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

DandyLion posted:

Who's ready for a good old fashioned belt fed automatic tank gun that spits out shells into the air?

The French and germans played with a 6 round tank shell revolver at one point....

Also, the battleship Iowa museum youtube page did a piece on the 8" autoloader of the des moines class heavy cruisers - now that was a piece of engineering. Also goes into some of the challenges involved, but an 8" translates into like, 203mm? Its *massive*

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

MikeC posted:

There is this YouTube guy called The Chieftain, served in Iraq as a platoon commander, and in one of his QA sessions, he says that human loaders outperform autoloaders for the first few shells while the ammo is located on something called a 'ready rack' or if safety procedures are bypassed like lap loading is done. But if the fighting is sustained, the autoloader wins in the long run.

The question that comes naturally is how long does a modern tank engagement last, and by all accounts I’m familiar with is “shorter” rather than „longer”, unless we’re talking Chechens firing on an empty building in Mariupol.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

MikeC posted:

Seems like it ends up a wash then, depending on the situation. Factors like how long the sustained fighting is and how reliable the autoloader is would probably tilt things one direction or the other.

In other news Finland continues it's slide towards NATO
https://twitter.com/charlyjsp/status/1509507180512350214?s=20&t=NMd-9Sb_KolukLwYgWPBRA
Quoted guy is a Finnish parliament member

Edit:
Old but got brought up again today
https://twitter.com/WoodfordinDK/status/1508882180273025028?s=20&t=NMd-9Sb_KolukLwYgWPBRA

KitConstantine fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 31, 2022

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

MikeC posted:

But if the fighting is sustained, the autoloader wins in the long run.

He also mentions that most gun loaders will adjust the ammo around so there is almost always ammo in the ready rack to take advantage of the positioning as much as possible which further muddles the comparison.

Over all I think he actually likes the auto loader but acknowledges people can still do the job. I think he'd prefer a tank with a auto loader but would keep the person. He'd just move them to some other job in the tank company to help with servicing the tanks or something. At least I think I remember him saying something along those lines.

edit: speaking of autoloader tanks and the Chieftan he did a short vid on a real slick US test tank from the early 80's that used a autoloader: the M1 TTB!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6acdYwLMaI

It actually has some features that make it somewhat similar to the T-14 (totally robotic gun enclosed separate from the crew, 3 crew sit side by side in a armored capsule to reduce weight while still improving safety, LOTS of electronics....all sadly trashed or ripped out now, etc).

The tank is trashed on the inside but he has some cool old vids of how it worked when new.

The loader was documented as cycling through loading 40,000 rounds without a issue of any sort which even today seems impressive. I think the military liked the tank but didn't trust it'd hold up in combat or be practical to service in the field.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 31, 2022

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
https://twitter.com/carldinnen/status/1509553524824326150

(That would be the UK Defen(c|s)e Secretary)

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

It is entirely possible to make a mechanical auto-loader that is faster than a human at loading tank-sized rounds, for example the 5" (127mm) gun on US ships has an automatic loading system that can hit almost 20 rounds per minute (for sustained fire it takes a six person crew to keep the loader fed). The big problem is such a loader takes up up significantly more space than a human and tanks are really loving cramped on the inside.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

MikeC posted:

He also mentioned having a loader had some other advantages people don't really think about when purely comparing tanks based on theoretical statistics. Mainly, just having an extra guy around can be a huge help when it comes to things like maintenance, standing watch, other workload related things, etc... With an autoloader you have to do all that with three dudes instead of four and the workload can increase proportionally.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

KitConstantine posted:

Seems like it ends up a wash then, depending on the situation. Factors like how long the sustained fighting is and how reliable the autoloader is would probably tilt things one direction or the other.

https://twitter.com/charlyjsp/status/1509507180512350214?s=20&t=NMd-9Sb_KolukLwYgWPBRA

Edit:
https://twitter.com/WoodfordinDK/status/1508882180273025028?s=20&t=NMd-9Sb_KolukLwYgWPBRA

Hell yeah. Let's get Sweden in as well. NATO has a real purpose in the 21st century, peace and security for all.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

I want to kiss this man.

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

KitConstantine posted:

They have been kissing Putins rear end constantly, most Pro Russia party that there is. But they have constantly tried to say that they are not and really hard trying to keep it hidden now. Too bad their actions speak for them, they have been against pretty much every sanction, wanted Schengen with Russia, their presidential candidate said there's nothing anyone can do if Russia wants to invade Finland aka. they are just going to roll over us. There are some really confused party members and voters now, some are jumping into VKK party, that's pretty much nazies and QAnons.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

KitConstantine posted:

Edit:

YLE survey said that the popular support for joining NATO was 60%+ last week across all groups. It would be a political suicide for any party, or sitting cabinet member, to go against NATO in this situation.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Doccers posted:

I want to kiss this man.

Why are they always making these announcements before they actually happen. Every time Ukraine is supposed to get some sort of decisive heavy weapons aid it always gets walked back as a "escalation" as if decimating the Russian tank corps with Javelins and NLAWs wasn't enough of an escalation? They've already inflicted severe casualties on the Russians as a result of western aid, what difference does it make?

If they're gonna make these announcements they should do them after the weapons are securely in the hands of the Ukrainian military, any time before that and we will be seeing Kalibr missiles and airstrikes flying into LVIV to blow it all up before it can be used.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

KitConstantine posted:

Edit:
Lol good job putin. (of course they were never worried about NATO in general, just NATO getting in the way of imperialism)

Here's that Chieftain video that was mentioned: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0x-8NheU1E

:getin: yep we really need this poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Curious what armored vehicles they mean? A variant of the CVR, maybe the Scimitar?