Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Onmi posted:

I wouldn't mind if the Realm of Chaos was good, the game being broken AND Realm of Chaos being not-fun is the issue.

I enjoyed the towers being really stupid on the cathay gate maps, you know a map that you're guaranteed to play multiple times as cathay. All it would have took is for someone to go oh hey these towers have loving terrible LoS, let's just put them on ugly raised platforms for now until we have time to fix these janky rear end maps. The docking spots being horrible is also a big wut like why add the feature if you're not gonna take the time to realize how terrible the arc of fire is.

Big triple A games releasing games like 1 man indie games and charging you out the rear end for it. Enjoy these rushed features we'll hopefully get time to address them in between making more rushed features to charge you for. I can't wait for modders to fix half these problems making you wonder wtf is going at CA until you realize that it's likely GW charging out the rear end for their IP forcing them to be understaffed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Arghy posted:

I enjoyed the towers being really stupid on the cathay gate maps, you know a map that you're guaranteed to play multiple times as cathay. All it would have took is for someone to go oh hey these towers have loving terrible LoS, let's just put them on ugly raised platforms for now until we have time to fix these janky rear end maps. The docking spots being horrible is also a big wut like why add the feature if you're not gonna take the time to realize how terrible the arc of fire is.

Big triple A games releasing games like 1 man indie games and charging you out the rear end for it. Enjoy these rushed features we'll hopefully get time to address them in between making more rushed features to charge you for. I can't wait for modders to fix half these problems making you wonder wtf is going at CA until you realize that it's likely GW charging out the rear end for their IP forcing them to be understaffed.

The best way to handle the walls is to build 4 walls before the battle blocking off all but the center path to the centre capture point. If you don't block off every route AND you do it before the battle begins the enemy will not see them as walls they can destroy.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Onmi posted:

The best way to handle the walls is to build 4 walls before the battle blocking off all but the center path to the centre capture point. If you don't block off every route AND you do it before the battle begins the enemy will not see them as walls they can destroy.

Haha yep saw that legend video where he did that which fixes that map a ton but still it's dumb that there's no inherently defender friendly maps. A karak should literally have 1 path, you're attacking a loving fortress not a random city that became a fortress as an after thought. I can't wait for modders to fix it so the central VP controls all the towers so the attackers must trudge under fire or just attack each tower.

We'll have a properly working game next time they launch a paid DLC.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Arghy posted:

Haha yep saw that legend video where he did that which fixes that map a ton but still it's dumb that there's no inherently defender friendly maps. A karak should literally have 1 path, you're attacking a loving fortress not a random city that became a fortress as an after thought. I can't wait for modders to fix it so the central VP controls all the towers so the attackers must trudge under fire or just attack each tower.

We'll have a properly working game next time they launch a paid DLC.

never change arghy

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

A karak will only fall to grimgor, he must be stopped.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
yes-yes orks are tough-strong but only skaven are smartest-bestest

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Arghy posted:

Haha yep saw that legend video where he did that which fixes that map a ton but still it's dumb that there's no inherently defender friendly maps. A karak should literally have 1 path, you're attacking a loving fortress not a random city that became a fortress as an after thought.

This sounds so loving boring though?

I mean its fine if you're skarbrand or whatever i guess

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Yes, but what would a fantasy race of short angry men actually do?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Argue about whose one path into the fortress is better

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

According to the official TW Twitter, the 1.1 patch is dropping this Tuesday (April 5th). Notes apparently happening that day.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
The dwarfs fell to ruin as they only had one path into their domains and the traffic was backed up for miles

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
taking dwarf bases is easy and funny because of their short legs

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Tiler Kiwi posted:

The dwarfs fell to ruin as they only had one path into their domains and the traffic was backed up for miles

The roads of Ukraine with all the blown up tanks, but instead its heavily armored dwarf corpses.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Vashro posted:

taking dwarf bases is easy and funny because of their short legs

dwarf bases are only half as deep as every other base

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
The ancestors built a tower here and even if it has no sightlines and is just a huge drain of resources, goddamnit I am building a tower here too.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Gonkish posted:

According to the official TW Twitter, the 1.1 patch is dropping this Tuesday (April 5th). Notes apparently happening that day.

That's sooner than expected, cool. Fingers crossed that it'll be a fun game next week!

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
i cant play dinosaurs or rats yet so it cant possibly be good

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Collapsing Farts posted:

i cant play rats or more rats yet so it cant possibly be good

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Collapsing Farts posted:

i cant play dinosaurs or rats yet so it cant possibly be good

If 1.1 includes Steam Workshop I'm sure a faction unlocker will be one of the first things on there. Plenty of rat factions and at least one lizardman faction on the current map!

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

dogstile posted:

This sounds so loving boring though?

I mean its fine if you're skarbrand or whatever i guess

You block off the 4 side entrances to the final capture point funneling the AI through the central path having a grand battle instead of constantly trying to move units because the AI is flanking you non stop. It's a siege not maneuver warfare on an open field.

Still don't understand why we don't have the buildings for the battle map, an artillery heavy faction would drat well construct palisades and earthen embankments to get clear lines of fire.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Hopefully the 1.1 drop includes some blurbs about the roadmap and timing on IE. I need me some big map.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
skraag can quickly ally and get rats but they aren't gorgers so idk why you would

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

I got rats happy as chaos factions as well.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Arghy posted:

You block off the 4 side entrances to the final capture point funneling the AI through the central path having a grand battle instead of constantly trying to move units because the AI is flanking you non stop. It's a siege not maneuver warfare on an open field.

Still don't understand why we don't have the buildings for the battle map, an artillery heavy faction would drat well construct palisades and earthen embankments to get clear lines of fire.

I don't think that they should make an entire faction's settlements into bridge battles from rome 2. That would be very boring.

Settlements work best as a different kind of maneuver battle where you have elevations and overlooks and it takes different amounts of time to move from place to place because of the terrain.

Because as a strategy game, maneuver and positioning is your only real way of interacting with the game.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
The best strategy against a larger force attacking your settlement, most of the time, is to move your troops into the smallest possible choke point you can and mimic a bridge battle from Rome 2. It's not quite as effective in wh as in previous game because there are spells and flying units but it's still usually the most reliable way to win those battles.

Every bastion battle I've had as Cathay has involved me looking at the map for a minute and thinking what kind of cool strategy I can come and concluding that the best thing to do is just move everything as far back as possible and set up towers to ping at the enemy as they move through the city. Maybe I'll throw the peasant troops on the walls to get some tower damage in but that's it.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Finished my legedary Skarbrand campaign just now, got the cheevos for the special landmark in the eastern corner of the map and razing 30 settlements too. Khorne seems busted as hell. I wonder if they'll change that tech giving every unit vanguard deployment.

A while ago I discovered that you can draw out a garrison to fight on more favorable ground if you encircle a city and use the Eternal War demonic manifestation on yourself. The garrison joins the battle as reinforcements that come in behind your starting position, and the summoned Khorne army is puny. Just make sure you don't kill it too quickly.

However, since I had been dealing almost exclusively with Chaos factions for a good part of the campaign, I didn't consider that order factions won't work the same way. Because they automatically declare war on demonic factions, they won't or can't reinforce the sacrificial Khorne army. I found this out with a Kislev city. I didn't get a chance to try it with and Ogre or Skaven garrison.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Apr 1, 2022

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I cannot wait for skarbrand, but the blood dlc’s gotta come first

thankfully elden ring exists

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Ah gently caress I missed that each army Skarbrand gets has it's own bloodletting mechanic. My growth has been really slow because I've been just using his for the first 30ish turns. Yes, I hosed up not using bloodhosts earlier too. No wonder I've been growing so slowly.

Do reinforcing armies get bloodletting or bloodhost attrition credit for a battle? Or just the primary?

And is Khorne's economy what I think it is? Just sack and fight more?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ravenfood posted:

Ah gently caress I missed that each army Skarbrand gets has it's own bloodletting mechanic. My growth has been really slow because I've been just using his for the first 30ish turns. Yes, I hosed up not using bloodhosts earlier too. No wonder I've been growing so slowly.

Do reinforcing armies get bloodletting or bloodhost attrition credit for a battle? Or just the primary?
All of your armies in a battle get Bloodletting bar credit for each battle. Bloodhosts do not get attrition credit for being the reinforcing army, though.

I ran a train on N'Kari's last settlement for like 30 turns with 2 Bloodhost armies and a real army, where every 5 turns I would swap out the real army's leader so each lord could get N'Kari's XP trait. All 3 armies had max bloodletting the whole time (they each reinforced each other every time I sacked N'Kari's settlement or fought the chaos undivided rebellion). I also had a real lord and two blood hosts always following Skarbrand around. I had a bunch of level 5 main settlements by turn 40 or so.

Ravenfood posted:

And is Khorne's economy what I think it is? Just sack and fight more?
His city economy honestly isnt super terrible. Its pretty Skavenlike, actually, and not bad if you build for econ. But if you're doing your thing with Skarbrand and use the extra bloodhost or lord that is following you around to sack things then reposition to raze it next turn then move on to the next settlement, money is rarely a problem anyway.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Skarbrand economy is "who cares that you're negative, go kill more people, nerd".

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I literally did not defend my land or expand past 1.5 provinces as Skarbrand and was able to doomstack with a T3 building for exalted bloodletters. I didn't care how negative my upkeep went or how much land I lost as long as I had 1 to avoid No Home attrition and ended the campaign with over 80k banked.

Just pop out to a realm for however long, come back and fight to take 2 of my settlements back. Rinse, repeat, barrel off into a random new direction until next rifts. HEY BOSS WE'RE RUNNING OUTTA RESOURCES!! GET MORE SKULLS YOU FOOL

It was probably out of character to accept offered peace treaties(I never sought them myself) but even N'kari and Ku'gath would beg me to stop after I took my stuff back and deleted their main stacks. When I finished the game Kislev had 5-7 stacks sieging most of my stuff but I took their bear's skull so gg no re.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The GCCM Karaz-a-Karak map is (was?) one path with giant walls that you can put siege on. It's kinda hilariously busted.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

dogstile posted:

Skarbrand economy is "who cares that you're negative, go kill more people, nerd".

Yep, thought so. Was just struggling in the first few turns because I didnt actually grab a bloodhost early on enough so was struggling to keep up momentum. Once I got over that and can keep rolling over fights it's a lot easier. I probably autoresolved a few too many fights early on too, just because of the casualties I took.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The GCCM Karaz-a-Karak map is (was?) one path with giant walls that you can put siege on. It's kinda hilariously busted.

Did they make a new one? They had that kinda poorly made one with the hilarious giant gate that just had a raised platform on the far left that could have arty but they'd just get hosed by flyers unless you wasted some units to defend them because it was so far that unit would never make it back to the fight. The karak ungor map is a great example of how you can have defensible maps but they could be taken though it's really buggy. The best dawi map is that zhufbar settlement by the vampire counts, tons of chokes with raised platforms to shoot off of yet the player can easily take or defend it with both factions just by using their strengths. I've held it against 3 vampire stacks and taken it as vampires with 1 army against the garrison + a stack.

Helmsdeep is seriously the best example of how siege defenses should work. The defender should be encouraged to hold the entire defenses but the defenses should have a weakness an enemy army can exploit that'll force the defenders to fall back to a central keep. As an attacker you should be forced to out number the enemy or field a far better army and you should take casualties no matter what. All the current sieges in TW2 is cheesing the AI because it's not fun fighting these boring rear end maps. You should be encouraged to recruit an army of chaff to take major settlements where minor settlements aren't that hard.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBegny0ly0s
Well i mean he's right about me overthinking situations in a spiteful light.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Arghy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBegny0ly0s
Well i mean he's right about me overthinking situations in a spiteful light.

i'm sorry Arghy

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
lmao okay they got me on the first sentence

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

hell yeah, Arghy has returned

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Arghy posted:

Did they make a new one? They had that kinda poorly made one with the hilarious giant gate that just had a raised platform on the far left that could have arty but they'd just get hosed by flyers unless you wasted some units to defend them because it was so far that unit would never make it back to the fight. The karak ungor map is a great example of how you can have defensible maps but they could be taken though it's really buggy. The best dawi map is that zhufbar settlement by the vampire counts, tons of chokes with raised platforms to shoot off of yet the player can easily take or defend it with both factions just by using their strengths. I've held it against 3 vampire stacks and taken it as vampires with 1 army against the garrison + a stack.

Helmsdeep is seriously the best example of how siege defenses should work. The defender should be encouraged to hold the entire defenses but the defenses should have a weakness an enemy army can exploit that'll force the defenders to fall back to a central keep. As an attacker you should be forced to out number the enemy or field a far better army and you should take casualties no matter what. All the current sieges in TW2 is cheesing the AI because it's not fun fighting these boring rear end maps. You should be encouraged to recruit an army of chaff to take major settlements where minor settlements aren't that hard.
Karaz a Karak was great because you had a killzone to murder approaching forces with artillery. AI was pretty derpy and I think I remember them building siege towers from laughably far away.

Karak Unger had a very long bridge perfectly sloped for thunderers to wreck poo poo with clear lines of sight. I had one siege where vampire counts tried to bum rush the objective with lots of vargeists and bats and i had organ guns and thunderers pelting them like AAA (especially cool seeing the dead flyers tumble down a seemingly bottomless chasm.

Zhufbar was tougher to defend but I liked that it had a wall section perpendicular to the approach to the gate so defenders had a kill box to shoot attackers as they rushed past. The inside had lots of choke points and once past the walls it was basically stalingrad.

Karak 8 peaks had really good defense in depth with raised ledges and ramps on opposite sides forcing attackers to take a zig zag path to the center. It also had flamethrowers mounted in the gates that constantly were spewing gouts of flame.

Another northern Karak (Urkulaz?) had an interesting layout where there was a wall on one side and the other side was open but the attacker had to navigate a maze of causeways over lava. They gave defenders a bolt thrower artillery mount on that approach to snipe units trying to get close.

Belegars starting karak was split with a canal right in the center forcing both sides to split their forces. There were batteries of cannon mounted pretty far back that could continue to fire on units that breached the outer walls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

It's a real shame the AI couldn't handle so many of GCCMs maps because they had a lot of fun variety