Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

External Organs posted:

Cruise control for a 35 mph road?? :catstare:

Talking to the kid and making sure she was okay was good, the parents were a bit much imo

My car can do 30kph for school zones. Works well to piss off people behind me who really want to run over children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Cruise control at 35 mph: Lazy legs, compensating for a heavy foot, or obsessed with fuel efficiency.

Cruise control seems inappropriate to me in any place where you might have to stop suddenly (say, because of an idiot child), but I don't know how it works out statistically, if it's ever even been studied.

\/\/\/\/ oh yeah, if it's a Tesla they probably just... don't actually manually drive (which is incredibly unsafe). At least she was paying enough attention to spot the kid.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 31, 2022

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

External Organs posted:

Cruise control for a 35 mph road?? :catstare:

Talking to the kid and making sure she was okay was good, the parents were a bit much imo

the dude is also clearly a huge dork and talked about his dash cam. Tesla confirmed

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I didn't realize these people even existed

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

You know it’s not a Tesla because they didn’t call it autopilot. A Tesla owner would never turn down the chance to brag about their car.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Upgrade posted:

You know it’s not a Tesla because they didn’t call it autopilot. A Tesla owner would never turn down the chance to brag about their car.

Also because the child survived

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Hygiene posted:

Haha I wondered if cruise control would even engage at that speed. My folks were always so adamant that you don't/can't use cruise control at low speeds that I've never even tried it in all the years I've been driving.

we have speed cameras here for 30mph that ticket at 34 so ya I use cruise control at those speeds

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

this is blowing my mind

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Yah I used cruise control for a long time at low speeds. When I was 16 I got two speeding tickets like one right after another and so the next one would have cost me my license. To stop myself from going too fast I just used cruise control almost everywhere until those tickets got old enough that another one wouldn't make me lose my license. But by then I just didn't really speed anymore.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I don't remember ever using cruise control, even on highways. I just keep a tab on my speed and the people around me.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

hawowanlawow posted:

the dude is also clearly a huge dork and talked about his dash cam. Tesla confirmed

op's a she.

haveblue posted:

Also because the child survived

lmao

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I use cruise control at 35 every day. Why wouldn’t you if you drive through an area with that speed limit?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the chick is also clearly a huge dorkette and talked about her dash cam. Tesla confirmed

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I had to go back to check, and she just has a generic username. Which means there's a different driver story I remember reading lately where the OP actually had TESLA in their name, where I just saw it and went "of course"

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
This was about 25 years ago so I assume things are safer now, but my sister once had an incident where she was driving on the highway about 100km/h and the cruise control wouldn't disengage when she pressed the brake. I think she said she had to put it in neutral for the cc to turn off. I don't know what model of car but it was a Ford she was transferring from one dealership to another as an employee.

Anyway, I have always been extremely hesitant to use it myself and really only do for long, fairly straight, empty stretches of road. Hearing of someone using it in a residential area with side streets where kids are playing makes me feel ill.

I don't understand why you would even do so on a road where you constantly have to stop at signs or lights.

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
so people that cruise control on city streets are the people pressing their brake for almost no reason and causing a chain reaction behind em when easing up on the gas a lil would be normal and fine

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

hawowanlawow posted:

the chick is also clearly a huge dorkette and talked about her dash cam. Tesla confirmed

:hai:

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

its_my_birthday posted:

so people that cruise control on city streets are the people pressing their brake for almost no reason and causing a chain reaction behind em when easing up on the gas a lil would be normal and fine

Oh poo poo! You're totally right.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

its_my_birthday posted:

You don't need to slam the brake, just touch it, or just shut cc off via the switch, or press the clutch if you have one. The people constantly pumping their breaks on surface streets are people that are either incapable of applying gentle pressure to the accelerator and so they have to keep braking to not speed, or people that use a foot on each the break and acceleator.

Anyone following so close that a break light coming on forces a panic is following too close.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

beep boop set car to speed limit beep boop

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

its_my_birthday posted:

fyi the scientific name for that particular effect is a Shockwave Jam

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Underwhelmed posted:

Anyone following so close that a break light coming on forces a panic is following too close.

I knew someone who would maintain her speed by hitting the gas intermittently (like, kind of in 1-2 second "bursts") and another person who was a hot-shot car-loving lead foot and mocked her for it. Neither has ever been in a crash to my knowledge, so, you know, whatever works.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

New challenge: drive across town solely using the accelerate/decelerate buttons on your cruise control

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
as a soldier in the war on cars, acid vats for all urban drivers.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Mellow Seas posted:

I knew someone who would maintain her speed by hitting the gas intermittently (like, kind of in 1-2 second "bursts") and another person who was a hot-shot car-loving lead foot and mocked her for it. Neither has ever been in a crash to my knowledge, so, you know, whatever works.

Lol on an 8 hour road trip down the state we let my friend drive the last leg and he kept doing the pump thing and we were like dude wtf is wrong with u and he said the driving school he had to to go to get points off his license taught him that method

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Mellow Seas posted:

you know, whatever works.

hard disagree

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I was taught that you should approach stop signs by decelerating so slowly you don't rock forward when you come to a full stop. My husband ... was not.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Driving is a land of contrasts

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I was taught that you should approach stop signs by decelerating so slowly you don't rock forward when you come to a full stop. My husband ... was not.

I've been taught to feel the wheel-lock, the slight rocking forward telling you that you've actually come to a complete stop. You should be slowing down before that, though.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It’s a little disorienting to me when I don’t feel that.

Parsley
Jul 17, 2012

People seem convinced being hit by a car will not hurt them.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

That was the one weird thing on my driver's test, it was a small town thing so they were casual about everything else, but coming to a stop they were like "I could feel that, wtf??"

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
The rear end in a top hat in the story is the designers who don't give a kid a safe place to ride their scooter away from cars going 35 mph.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

zakharov posted:

The rear end in a top hat in the story is the designers who don't give a kid a safe place to ride their scooter away from cars going 35 mph.

Yeah, this country hates pedestrians and non-motorized conveyances, it's ridiculous.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Crohn's mom reappears, and she's mad.
AITA for saying dy daughter's teacher's offer was inappropriate and reporting the teacher

quote:

​EDIT: TYPO IN THE TITLE. SUPPOSED TO SAY MY DAUGHTER'S...

My daughter (18) has Chron's and used to get infusions every 6 weeks, but her doctor just made it every 4 weeks.

Her infusions were scheduled out months in advance and my husband and I booked a vacation from week 3-week 5. Then her doctor changed it. We didn't have anybody to take my daughter (they give her benadryl before the infusion and she's usually too tired to drive home after). I asked her to push it back a week so I could take her then we can do every 4 weeks but she refused.

Something else that's important to mention is my daughter is very close with her science teacher (late 20's f). She had the teacher freshman year for bio, then sophomore year for chemistry, then for study hall last year, then for AP bio this year. I guess she's the "cool young teacher" that tries to be friends with her students.

My daughter told her about her situation with the infusions and the teacher offered to drive her (it was on a saturday). My daughter told me about this and seemed relieved that she wouldn't have to reschedule her infusion. I told her I think it's inappropriate that this teacher offered to drive to our house (around 30 minutes from her apartment) to pick my daughter up, then drive another 45 minutes to the infusion clinic, stay there for 4 hours, then drop her off at home and that I doubt that the teacher didn't have some kind of ulterior motive. I'm a teaching assistant and, while I love my students, I wouldn't do anything similar for them.

My daughter still insisted on her teacher taking her so I reported her. The school said that they can't do anything because my daughter's an adult and this will happen off of school property and not on school hours.

My husband thinks I'm overreacting and I should drop it but I still think this is inappropriate so I wanted to know if I was the rear end in a top hat.

How dare you take care of my daughter's medical needs which I am neglecting?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA for saying dy daughter's teacher's offer was inappropriate and reporting the teacher

Can't you just put your disease on hold while I go take a vacation, uggggghhh :rolleyes:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Captain Hygiene posted:

That was the one weird thing on my driver's test, it was a small town thing so they were casual about everything else, but coming to a stop they were like "I could feel that, wtf??"

I failed my first driver's test because the proctor set up the cones for the parallel park even with the tires of my car, and then told me to park in the space. I told him i wouldnt fit, he said to do it anyways, I hit a cone and was told I immediately failed and to just drive back to the station.

The second time the proctor pulled the same stunt, i pulled up next to the cones, put it in park, said "I will never fit in this space." and she said "Yup, correct." and I passed.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Why in the world wouldn’t they just send her in an Uber?

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Kurieg posted:

I failed my first driver's test because the proctor set up the cones for the parallel park even with the tires of my car, and then told me to park in the space. I told him i wouldnt fit, he said to do it anyways, I hit a cone and was told I immediately failed and to just drive back to the station.

The second time the proctor pulled the same stunt, i pulled up next to the cones, put it in park, said "I will never fit in this space." and she said "Yup, correct." and I passed.

Acid vat. I don't care how long ago it was, gently caress her for that bs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Captain Hygiene posted:

Can't you just put your disease on hold while I go take a vacation, uggggghhh :rolleyes:

The first time I read it somehow I hosed it up and thought that the vacation time was taken off specifically to accommodate the medical treatment but now I see I'm way off on that.

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Why in the world wouldn’t they just send her in an Uber?

Agreed, something else seems off here. I can understand needing a designated driver and caretaker if the daughter is being heavily sedated. Benadryl might make them unsafe to drive but they should surely be coherent enough to just take an Uber.

Though the mom is still an rear end in a top hat for freaking out about a solution to her problems here.