Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Holy cow I know it's already been observed but still ridiculous that for a war that has been going on for less than two months Russia is already doing moves usually done in desperation to throw any men you can into defending your capital. Rushing training of conscripts, sending in mercenaries, emptying out naval vessels, probably some penal battalions wandering around. Except it's for a war of aggression that ostensibly they had years to plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Friendly reminder that we should keep in mind the domestic situation in Russia when wondering "why the gently caress X?" I'm sure that Putin & co. are desperately trying to avoid an accurate account of the situation leaking out into the general public, and things like calling up units or transferring materiel from outside that immediate military district would not be good. Can't have the people figuring out that the mighty Russian military is getting chopped up by their plucky neighbor who was supposed to welcome them with open arms.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Update on this particular tank:

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1509556792291901443

Doesn't look like any of the crew made it out of the bottom hatch.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

orange juche posted:

People who say that oh it's no big deal do not know how loving deadly cesium 137 is, even 34 years on, it is still 1.4 million curies worth of radiation in the zone around Chernobyl. A single curie of Cs137 is 1/100 of a gram, about equivalent to a pinch of salt.

Go and pinch some salt out into the palm of your hand and imagine that that pinch of salt is decaying at a rate of 3.7 x 1010 disintegrations per second, for 30 years, spitting out beta particles and gamma rays with every decay, and every decay is an atomic rifle bullet aimed at your cells. Put that poo poo inside your lungs, you really don't need much, even 1 half life removed from the incident to turn your lungs into a loving disaster area.

How much dust you suck up and how quickly you do it determines whether you get lung cancer in 5 years vs your lungs shredding themselves as your lung cells fall apart from acute exposure.

E: also to say nothing of the fact that cesium loves water, it is readily oxidized by water and a small amount will heavily contaminate a large amount of groundwater, so if the Russian troops are drinking rainwater runoff from storms thinking that water purification tablets are enough, that's even more cesium they're putting in themselves.

Thank you - I was starting to feel crazy with all the "digging in radioactive dust is fine" posts.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Generation Internet posted:

Not surprised. Even in Leo 2 which is spacious reaching that hatch in gear is a crawl. After falling IFF a bridge and banging around the tank you really Arent gonna do it fast, If at all.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Naval infantry have been popping up in Ukraine, yeah. Likely guys intended originally for something around Odessa, but appeared to have been deployed to help the fight for Mariupol.

Yeah, including this guy about a week ago https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/russian-navy-commander-killed-ukraine-2022-03-20/

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Cimber posted:

I should have more coffee before replying.

I'd say that the joke flew over your head, but in this case it just fell flat.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

SerthVarnee posted:

I love this thread so much.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

is this what they mean when they say "naval infantry"?

https://twitter.com/Capt_Navy/status/1509492996059844611

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

shame on an IGA posted:

The mine scene from hot fuzz instantly came to mind.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

shame on an IGA posted:

I'm confused.

Russians are using naval mines on land? Ukraine is doing this? Who is just placing naval mines on roads?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Generation Internet posted:

Those black squares are ominous as gently caress.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

ASAPI posted:

I'm confused.

Russians are using naval mines on land? Ukraine is doing this? Who is just placing naval mines on roads?

I guess if you use it on land technically it is a land mine.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

ASAPI posted:

I'm confused.

Probably the Russians. The chain of events and decisions where a naval mine is your best option for obstructing a road defies imagination. I bet a rather long winded brief could be written about that one mine, and that I found find it compelling reading.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Sentinel posted:

The mine scene from hot fuzz instantly came to mind.

Anyone driving a tank on that is going halfway to low Earth orbit.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

FrozenVent posted:

If you click through the ghouls on Twitter posted uncensored versions. Absolutely covering the remains of the crew

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Valtonen posted:

Anyone driving a tank on that is going halfway to low Earth orbit.

Is it considered a breach of NATO airspace if what used to be a tank is blown clear into another country?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

A.o.D. posted:

Probably the Russians. The chain of events and decisions where a naval mine is your best option for obstructing a road defies imagination. I bet a rather long winded brief could be written about that one mine, and that I found find it compelling reading.

I would love to hear the chain of events that resulted in this happening.

I think we are going to get decades of stories explaining the insane poo poo we are seeing.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Naked Bear posted:

Friendly reminder that we should keep in mind the domestic situation in Russia when wondering "why the gently caress X?" I'm sure that Putin & co. are desperately trying to avoid an accurate account of the situation leaking out into the general public, and things like calling up units or transferring materiel from outside that immediate military district would not be good. Can't have the people figuring out that the mighty Russian military is getting chopped up by their plucky neighbor who was supposed to welcome them with open arms.

Also the war is a cover for destroying evidence of corruption in Ukraine. This is why they misdirect to Hunter Biden and bioweapons.

They're trying to bomb every place the gov would keep files of them laundering billions through the government, esp. the energy sector out there.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

SerthVarnee posted:

Yeah, it really cratered.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/CarlaBabbVOA/status/1509553376417173508

VD:V

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Wasabi the J posted:

Also the war is a cover for destroying evidence of corruption in Ukraine. This is why they misdirect to Hunter Biden and bioweapons.

They're trying to bomb every place the gov would keep files of them laundering billions through the government, esp. the energy sector out there.

Wait, what? Am I understanding you correctly in that you're suggesting that Russia's war in Ukraine is partially to cover up Russian corruption in Ukraine? If so, where are you getting this from? At a baseline level I feel like if that made sense as a reason for war I'd have thought the Russians would be more interested in bombing London.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Wasabi the J posted:

I don't think Russia would gaf about evidence of corruption being discovered. It's not like it's a big secret that corruption was a hallmark of the Ukrainian government pre-maidan and that it was largely a product of their close ties to the Kremlin.

I mean maybe it's like way down the list of objectives related to this campaign, but I really just can't imagine that its a real priority. There are about a million less destructive and costly ways to attend to evidence of corruption other than warfare, and Putin has shown that he's willing to utilize those kinds of means in the past.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
:perfect:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

I feel like I should get this

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Alan Smithee posted:

I feel like I should get this

Smiley sad-face shrugging its shoulders while also technically being the initials for the VDV? That's my best guess.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Soul Dentist posted:

If you click through the ghouls on Twitter posted uncensored versions. Absolutely covering the remains of the crew

Not clicking on the ghouls, wish they had went in a faster/less terrifying way... enemy or not. :shrug:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Grip it and rip it posted:

I don't think Russia would gaf about evidence of corruption being discovered. It's not like it's a big secret that corruption was a hallmark of the Ukrainian government pre-maidan and that it was largely a product of their close ties to the Kremlin.

I mean maybe it's like way down the list of objectives related to this campaign, but I really just can't imagine that its a real priority. There are about a million less destructive and costly ways to attend to evidence of corruption other than warfare, and Putin has shown that he's willing to utilize those kinds of means in the past.

I'm saying it's a fringe benefit for Putin et al.

There's tons of money in mob property and the gas industry; Russia kicked off the 2014 invasion due to losing control of the national government, after Yanukovych "vetoed" the measure for Ukraine to join the EU. It then tried to force Ukraine to deal with the "separatist" (secessionist) governments as the politicians in those areas were still Russian agents, essentially.

quote:

Since 2019, Russia has issued over 650,000 internal Russian passports among an unconfirmed overall population, which is considered by Ukrainian government as a step towards annexation of the region.

quote:

On 31 March, President Vladimir Putin signed a decree that would obligate purchasers of Russian gas from the "unfriendly countries" to set up special "K-accounts" to transfer their payments, the entire payment facility to be run by Russia's Gazprombank, a subsidiary of Gazprom. He said that any country refusing to use the payment mechanism would be in violation of their contracts and face "corresponding repercussions".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gazprombank?wprov=sfla1

quote:

The bank has a distribution network of 43 branches and over 260 banking outlets located throughout the Russian Federation. GPB also has ownership interests in three other Russian banks. In addition, Gazprombank is represented in the markets of Belarus and Switzerland through ownership interests in two foreign banks: Belgazprombank (Belarus) and Gazprombank (Switzerland) Ltd. Gazprombank also has representative offices in Mongolia, China and India.

quote:

December 2019, Gazprom paid $2.9 billion to Ukrainian counterpart Naftogaz to resolve damage claims stemming from alleged economical harassment.

The weaker the government fighting back in court the better for Russia, in my view. They are using the army as enforcers of a financial racket Ukraine was getting out of quickly.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 31, 2022

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
That bank is under sanctions though by the US. Thats going to make things interesting for everyone.

[edit] basically forcing Germany to either break the sanctions or lose their gas.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Cimber posted:

That bank is under sanctions though by the US. Thats going to make things interesting for everyone.

[edit] basically forcing Germany to either break the sanctions or lose their gas.

One weird trick to force opposing countries to bypass your sanctions!

Economic unions hate it!

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Putin just announce he’s increasing the draft to 135k additional conscripts…

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/europe/live-news/ukraine-russia-putin-news-03-31-22/index.html

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

There's been some really good interviews with Ukrainian fighter pilots - link to a personal favorite, I think it was posted already:
https://coffeeordie.com/ukrainian-mig-29-pilot-interview/

Hmm a Mig-29. And he talks about how low they fly to avoid detection.

Well a video just popped up on my Ukraine feed
https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1509622003711500288?t=Fgk-pDpoY60094tW3TtuGQ&s=19

Pretty...pretty loving low :stare:

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Tomn posted:

Mind you, I feel like it’s way more embarrassing for Putin, the ex-KGB agent with a reputation for 5D chess mastery to suffer from an intel failure than it was for George Bush, a politician routinely mocked for being an idiot prior to his election. Like, spymastering is supposed to be his whole thing.

The full story’s paywalled but the video is still good.

Read a few books and a bunch of articles about the start of the Iraq War / OIF. From what I can tell, Cheney had ambitious Yes Men in the CIA cherry pick intel from unreliable sources. One of the higher ups in the CIA's Near East division was fired after telling them we wouldn't be greeted as liberators, that the Shias were still pissed at us for abandoning them after encouraging them to rise up against Saddam after Gulf War 1. He was fired for telling truth to power. His careee ambituous superiors and same level managers played Yes Men to Cheney, and they gave Cheney exactly what he wanted. Of course, they were rewarded for this by being promoted even after the poo poo hit the fan in Iraq, while the poor gently caress who was right was fired and lost his career.

Cheney then fed this bullshit to Bush and the rest of the administration, including Powell.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Bored As gently caress posted:

Read a few books and a bunch of articles about the start of the Iraq War / OIF. From what I can tell, Cheney had ambitious Yes Men in the CIA cherry pick intel from unreliable sources. One of the higher ups in the CIA's Near East division was fired after telling them we wouldn't be greeted as liberators, that the Shias were still pissed at us for abandoning them after encouraging them to rise up against Saddam after Gulf War 1. He was fired for telling truth to power. His careee ambituous superiors and same level managers played Yes Men to Cheney, and they gave Cheney exactly what he wanted. Of course, they were rewarded for this by being promoted even after the poo poo hit the fan in Iraq, while the poor gently caress who was right was fired and lost his career.

Cheney then fed this bullshit to Bush and the rest of the administration, including Powell.

And a lot of good people died or have been permanently marred by that rear end in a top hat.

And hundreds of billions of dollars flushed down a toilet. Imagine if we gave NASA that money instead.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Iraq was close to 2 dollars.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Some of y'all really wondering how an empire teetering on the edge of collapse could buy into its own bullshit so hard that it would squander countless lives and risk economic ruin on ill advised foreign adventures, despite spending the last 20 decades literally being part of the speartip.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Some of y'all really wondering how an empire teetering on the edge of collapse could buy into its own bullshit so hard that it would squander countless lives and risk economic ruin on ill advised foreign adventures, despite spending the last 20 decades literally being part of the speartip.

To be fair, the US never really risked anything other than international standing from those misadventures. And not even that from the partners that matter economically.

I mean, sure it's mind bogglingly wasteful to funnel a couple trillion dollars into the defense industry. But no outcome from Iraq or Afghanistan was going to change anything fundamentally for the US, while Russia may look a lot like Iran after all is said and done.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

KitConstantine posted:

Pretty...pretty loving low :stare:

They've been practicing highway landings so I guess this is exactly what they've been training for. (Still seems risky as gently caress!)

bees everywhere fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 31, 2022

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

FrozenVent posted:

Fun fact:* "Viewed body in water" is considered as a separate exposure category from other exposure to dead bodies in some assessments of PTSD risk because of how bad it can get.

*not fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Bored As gently caress posted:

I teach a class in Intel. The Bush admin actually stood up its own intelligence apparatus within the CIA to cherry pick and in some cases fabricate intelligence. A bunch of CIA careerist called them out on it, so they had to pivot and moved the Bush admin people to the DOD.

The DCIA (George Tenet) got ambushed during the infamous yellow cake speech by Powell. Powell told Cheney he’d only give the speech to the UN if CIA backed it. Cheney got Tenet a front row seat behind Powell to sell it. After the speech Tenet and Powell figured out what was going on and were apparently furious that they were set up with a bunch of bogus Intel. Neither of them resigned though or made a fuss so obviously they weren’t too mad…