Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

The Boston Celtics.

Gonna be rough without Rob Williams I think. He was so good at cleaning up mistakes and being an uncredited piece of the offense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
doc rivers is playing Paul Millsap against giannis while Paul Reed rots on the bench lol

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the only constant in life is pain

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

the timberwolves aren't contenders, but they're definitely gonna be the team that none of the top seeds want to face. they're young and have the fastest pace of play in the league. whoever ends up knocking us out is gonna be on fumes in the next round

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

Azathoth posted:

the timberwolves aren't contenders, but they're definitely gonna be the team that none of the top seeds want to face. they're young and have the fastest pace of play in the league. whoever ends up knocking us out is gonna be on fumes in the next round

this makes sense on paper but the last 25 years of watching timberwolves basketball is fighting against me on a cellular level

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

me thinking of a twolves series going past 5 games

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

skipmyseashells posted:

this makes sense on paper but the last 25 years of watching timberwolves basketball is fighting against me on a cellular level

I want to believe

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

the sixers stink but it might actually be because of doc rivers

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

not really 100% sure. they have zero reliable depth beyond maybe niang

probably a first round exit depending on the seeding

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

don't really know where they go from there. fire doc 100% but maybe hope you can fix the bench and get a better backup center cause you traded away the good one you had

it sucks because harris has been playing a lot better lately

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Gonna be rough without Rob Williams I think. He was so good at cleaning up mistakes and being an uncredited piece of the offense.

It hurts so bad

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

triple sulk posted:

not really 100% sure. they have zero reliable depth beyond maybe niang

probably a first round exit depending on the seeding

Hopefully they get CHI or CLE

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

triple sulk posted:

don't really know where they go from there. fire doc 100% but maybe hope you can fix the bench and get a better backup center cause you traded away the good one you had

it sucks because harris has been playing a lot better lately

Drummond was horrible

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

It hurts so bad

Prognosis is 4-6 weeks so he might be back for the tail of the second round.

:unsmith:

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

euphronius posted:

Drummond was horrible

and yet still not as bad as deandre jordan

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

triple sulk posted:

the sixers stink but it might actually be because of doc rivers

coaches barely matter they just suck

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

euphronius posted:

Drummond was horrible

He's very good for a rotation guy in a back-up center role and pretty drat bad for a starter. That's my take.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
anything can happen once it’s playoffs which is why I’m setting up 10 leg parlays on philly games

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how come steals seem so unimportant as a defensive stat? there’s cases where you hear like “oh that dude doesn’t contribute defensively” but they’ll be top five/ten in steals, why don’t they really count? the two big examples I can think of off the top are AI and Jokic

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

skipmyseashells posted:

anything can happen once it’s playoffs which is why I’m setting up 10 leg parlays on philly games

I had an insane parlay on that trash OKC POR game from the other night. Something like +40000 odds that missed on a single CJ Elleby three pointer lol.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

it’s a counting stat and is not strongly correlated to “giving up less points”

basically ignore fantasy stats like steals and points per game

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

euphronius posted:

to dig into this a bit more, it's possible for a player to get good steal numbers while being a mediocre to bad defender by gambling on jumping passing lanes a lot. if the player succeeds, they get a steal but if they guess wrong or miss the pass, now they're out of defensive position. obviously all players are gonna try to jump passing lanes to some degree, but players who do it too much vs. playing good fundamental defense and staying in front of their man can have good steal numbers but be net negative defenders because of that. it's the defensive equivalent of scoring a lot of points with a bad to mediocre shooting percentage.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

yes good analogy

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Most important defense abilities afaict is staying in front of guys (hard and there is no box score stat which shows this ) and for centers: fg% on shots attempted near rim and percentage of shots attempted near rim . Again no fantasy stats for that

In another thread I got yelled at for saying Myles turners huge numbers of blocks does not say anything about how good he is at defense and I stand by that

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

indigi posted:

coaches barely matter they just suck

normally yes but when it comes to playing the corpses of deandre jordan, paul millsap and danny green over the better options they have on the roster, that's on doc. they lose those minutes every night and they're going to lose those minutes even more in the playoffs

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

thanks for the explanations. I know other defensive abilities and even stats were more important than steals I just didn’t know why they were so easily written off compared to stuff like blocks when they’re seemingly harder to come by and people were hyping up that college guy (maybe Gilyar? idk I don’t pay attention to minor leagues) for getting mondo steals

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the most important player on defense by a mile is the center . he has to be able to deter shots at the rim and reduce field goal percentage at the rim. he also has to navigate 1-5 pnrs and credibly guard the perimeter if switched for whatever reason . so he has to be huge (or have very long arms ) and be able to move very well and be smart and competitive . none of these things show up in box scores player stats

so the center reduces Fg % in the paint that is huge a HUGE factor for drtg

then the other players have to stay in front of people and credible challenge 3s. this reduces 3pfg%

reduce 3pfg% and fg% at the rim and you have a good defense !!

also you will have a good defense if you on offense make shots and don’t turn it over

euphronius fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 31, 2022

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

also imo intercepted passes shouldn’t count as steals, a steal should be taking it out of someone’s hands during a dribble or shot

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

It's really hard to tease out how good a defender someone is from just individual stats, because modern NBA defense is so heavily help-based.

Even advanced stats like field goal percentage of shots taken within some distance of the defender can be skewed because if you've got a guy who's a good defender and they get stuck on the other team's best shooter as much as possible, they might have a worse percentage but be a known better defender.

And stats like on-off and +/- have a hard time teasing out the fact that coaches will frequently platoon certain players together so a bad wing defender might get paired with a really good wing defender, who takes the hard assignments, and thus have better stats than their actual defense will justify.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

euphronius posted:

God you are stupid

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

comparing people to bench units is wild I hate it

net rating when a player is on the court is very good .

FG% in the paint is a good proxy for center D imho

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Just ignore how many points players actually score. That way you can focus on real factors like how alpha they are or whether they can carry a team on their own

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

player x scores 9 points

player y scores 10 points

who was better on offense

(this is a trick question )

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Counterpoint: Boogie Cousins and Antoine Walker

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

(counterpoint Seth Curry) 👹

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
I wont stand for this stealt attack on mj

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Femur posted:

I wont stand for this stealt attack on mj

LeBron is a better all time player than MJ

*knocks over glass of water and runs out of room*

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

Just ignore how many points players actually score. That way you can focus on real factors like how alpha they are or whether they can carry a team on their own

also lol at your insinuation that “intangibles” don’t matter

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

where are the bucks if Giannis has Ben Simmons brain and soul

Giannis “alpha” mentality is literally like a 10 win share

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

euphronius posted:

where are the bucks if Giannis has Ben Simmons brain and soul

Giannis “alpha” mentality is literally like a 10 win share

Giannis would score a hell of a lot less points with Ben Simmons' brain and his team's performance would be worse as a consequence of that, among other things