Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Yeah, references to NFL draft failures from 15 years ago was not something I ever expected to hear from John

They're both huge Raiders fans op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I did a huge soy face when he pulled out the Jamarcus Russell line because it was so unexpected but hilarious and easy for a dumb guy like me to understand.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
i'm imagining mark and john wearing grease paint at a raiders superfan tailgate, crushing tecate and tamales with the rest of the football juggalos and im' smiling

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/TheWarNerd/status/1507027369302925313?s=20&t=qdEA9qE1t8A_1HJuuxlkzA

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

God drat, when he wants to Dolan can still just effortlessly shred someone.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
anyway to get the old episodes as rss feed? i wanted to get them into my podcast app

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

the rss link is supposed to be included with every newsletter iirc

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

That's right.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

perfection

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

uh thats weird, the feed i had only went from like ep 199 or smth and I got it from an email im sure
but the newsletter one has everything yeah
danke

Honest Thief has issued a correction as of 19:23 on Mar 31, 2022

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Johns gonna get covid from all these meetups lmao

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

does anybody else hear a lathe turning on?

animist
Aug 28, 2018
Been reading "the Yankee and Cowboy war", which is about conflict in the American ruling class around the bay of pigs, Vietnam, etc, and it's reminding me a lot of the civil war episodes. Similar rough outlines of groups from the civil war, although the "Cowboys" are here the West coast intelligence establishment, Nixon and friends, rather than the southern planter elite. They strike me as having a very similar attitude though. the Yankees are basically the same ofc, and similarly bad about actually standing up for their own in any meaningful way.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i'm just seeing this a week late but what the gently caress @ this headline, dolan should sue!

https://twitter.com/leee_harris/status/1509178727472812042

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/TheWarNerd/status/1513547895659716613?cxt=HHwWioCz9dfymYEqAAAA

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
surprised he managed to get back in canada, or even wanted to

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the NDP deal from a month or two ago included amnesty

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

the new episode is great and I have nothing to say about it. what I do have to recommend is checking out friends of the pod The Empire Never Ended, and specifically their Silver Shirts episode. episode 49 and it’s free for non subscribers.

the silver shirts were a today mostly unknown fascist cult inspired by a toilet paper heir cum Hollywood screenwriter & publisher, who was also a New Age spiritualist and possible schizophrenic who was receiving direct communiques from the immortal 5th dimensional spirits from historical figures like Jesus Christ and Benjamin Franklin. it’s the funniest thing I’ve listened to in a long time, and the Silver Legion would’ve been a serious contender for a fascist insurrection if their chief guru didn’t try prefiguring the revolution down to individual days and the assumption of s Jewish takeover by mayor LaGuardia.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
I've been thoroughly enjoying everything The Empire Never Ended has put out. They just did a really good series on how much of a crazy fascist Ezra Pound was.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I've been thoroughly enjoying everything The Empire Never Ended has put out. They just did a really good series on how much of a crazy fascist Ezra Pound was.

I’ve been going through their backlog slowly but surely while listening to the newer eps. so it’s funny to see how much of Pound’s oeuvre shows up in figures of his time like Father Coughlin and Fritz Kuhl. they were really obsessed with the idea of an alternative economics that was anti-(Jewish)banker. Ezra Pound was also such a dork and opportunist it’s apparent that his personality and thinking was pure affectation which he picked up from more prominent fascists.

I’ve always heard of Father Coughlin but never knew any details about the guy, so the fact he was so big that he could gently caress around with the Roosevelt administration to the point Woodrow had to meet him personally is hilarious.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah there weren't that many voices on radio yet so he was immensely influential in the midwest. I remember glenn beck would talk about him a ton in his compassionate dipshit era

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

the new episode is great and I have nothing to say about it. what I do have to recommend is checking out friends of the pod The Empire Never Ended, and specifically their Silver Shirts episode. episode 49 and it’s free for non subscribers.

the silver shirts were a today mostly unknown fascist cult inspired by a toilet paper heir cum Hollywood screenwriter & publisher, who was also a New Age spiritualist and possible schizophrenic who was receiving direct communiques from the immortal 5th dimensional spirits from historical figures like Jesus Christ and Benjamin Franklin. it’s the funniest thing I’ve listened to in a long time, and the Silver Legion would’ve been a serious contender for a fascist insurrection if their chief guru didn’t try prefiguring the revolution down to individual days and the assumption of s Jewish takeover by mayor LaGuardia.

After WWII he was a big figure in the early UFO contactee circles, don't know if they mentioned that. He was forbidden from talking about politics as part of his release from prison so he just want down the UFO circuit that was the next evolution of the I AM/theosophy movement he was a leader in before the war. It's not really surprising that these early "contactees" were so focused on "Nordic" aliens because it just went from Aryan supermen coming from the hollow earth or whatever to Nordic supermen from the stars.

The whole meeting with hidden historical figures thing was a big part of 19th century and early 20th century occultism and was a huge part of theosophy. They also believed they could tap into the "Akashic Record(s)" which was the sum total of human knowledge. A lot of the wilder Nazi root race stuff comes from theosophy too, which was and still is incredibly racist.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

After WWII he was a big figure in the early UFO contactee circles, don't know if they mentioned that. He was forbidden from talking about politics as part of his release from prison so he just want down the UFO circuit that was the next evolution of the I AM/theosophy movement he was a leader in before the war. It's not really surprising that these early "contactees" were so focused on "Nordic" aliens because it just went from Aryan supermen coming from the hollow earth or whatever to Nordic supermen from the stars.

they did mention they were saving Pelles’s UFO stuff for a Nazi UFO episode they planned to do but never got around to. they did one F-Files episode on weird Nazi ephemera but never did a follow up. it sounds like they’re sick of talking about American fascists in general at this point, so maybe the F-Files will come back with some European theosophists.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Theosophy crankery rules even though it's big with RW circles, I witnessed some marble statue twitter people who unironically believe in Vril energy.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I thought the TENE guys kind of undersold the “I Am” cult as being the silver shirts but de-nazified. they were still extremely fascist and fascist sympathizing, and I Am still pops up a lot today in woo woo New Age stuff. certainly a lot more than the Silver Shirts. really Pelles’s problem is that he was too unambiguously Hitleresque to stay in the culture.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I learned about the I AM cult from a QAnon Anonymous episode a few months back, and the most disturbing thing to me is how a lot of their beliefs about self-affirmations and visualization in itself leading to success are mainstream now. I don't know how much is from I AM specifically, or if later New Age thought leaders were drawing from other theosophical traditions.

I know I was sort of confused about who so many New Age granola hippies got into QAnon, but it turns out New Age thought came out of a semi-fascist religious movement in the first place.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Atrocious Joe posted:

I learned about the I AM cult from a QAnon Anonymous episode a few months back, and the most disturbing thing to me is how a lot of their beliefs about self-affirmations and visualization in itself leading to success are mainstream now. I don't know how much is from I AM specifically, or if later New Age thought leaders were drawing from other theosophical traditions.

I know I was sort of confused about who so many New Age granola hippies got into QAnon, but it turns out New Age thought came out of a semi-fascist religious movement in the first place.

I Am was mainly cribbing from established spiritualist movements, and iirc was founded by a traveling salesman & conman who tapped directly into St. Germaine worship, who himself was a charlatan that people still take seriously.

when you suppose that spiritual power is an exercise of will, then your thoughts shaping reality is a conclusion that follows naturally. all you need to turn it into a self-help mainstay is to file off all the spiritualist jumbo jumbo, just like I Am filed off the fascist serial numbers from Pelley(been misspelling his name).

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Plutonis posted:

Theosophy crankery rules even though it's big with RW circles, I witnessed some marble statue twitter people who unironically believe in Vril energy.

e. might make a fantastic av

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
hmmmm....meat tea

is there anything british cuisine can't do?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

i wish this post Ended

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I’ve always heard of Father Coughlin but never knew any details about the guy, so the fact he was so big that he could gently caress around with the Roosevelt administration to the point Woodrow had to meet him personally is hilarious.

Huey Long entertained the idea of having Father Coughlin as his running mate in the 1936 election, but it doesn't seem to have been too serious a consideration and Long couldn't stand the guy. And then he got shot :tinfoil:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Dreylad posted:

Huey Long entertained the idea of having Father Coughlin as his running mate in the 1936 election, but it doesn't seem to have been too serious a consideration and Long couldn't stand the guy. And then he got shot :tinfoil:

Long’s assassin was also Catholic 👁

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Zedhe Khoja posted:

hmmmm....meat tea

Taste.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Zedhe Khoja posted:

hmmmm....meat tea

Spice?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Long’s assassin was also Catholic 👁

👁 https://www.bayoubrief.com/2021/09/26/holes-in-the-story-huey-p-long-carl-weiss-and-the-american-spectacle-of-conspiracy/ 👁

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Kinda looks like Bubbles if you zoom in

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
oh my god, john do NOT suggest that russia assassinate defense contractor lobbyists and the washington post op-ed page as revenge for NATO intervention in ukraine

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
take a shot every time the war nerd tells the A10 story or suggests a political assassination.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

TenementFunster posted:

oh my god, john do NOT suggest that russia assassinate defense contractor lobbyists and the washington post op-ed page as revenge for NATO intervention in ukraine

Lmao, I can emphasize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

War Nerd Tropes:

John tells the A-10 story
John says surface ships are death traps
Crecy and Agincourt discussed as one event
John talks about his latest illness or mishap
Mark talks about a family member's latest illness or mishap
John praises Rojava