Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
LeBron is better than MJ, porbably the best overall player ever. but MJ is still the greatest and I don’t think there’s anything any player could accomplish that would change that for at least another 15-20 years. except Luka, because he’s white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

euphronius posted:

where are the bucks if Giannis has Ben Simmons brain and soul

Giannis “alpha” mentality is literally like a 10 win share

this was who i thought Ben was going to be :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eeEeypIE8k

rookie Ben Simmons was out there demanding the ball so he could attack and finish through contact

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Luka is the new MJ except instead of being unstoppably quick and explosive he moves 20% slower than everyone else on the court so every shot has a nasty hesitation built into it.

And when you try to adjust he just goes 40% slower and smokes you. Unstoppable.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Azathoth posted:

LeBron is a better all time player than MJ

*knocks over glass of water and runs out of room*

:mods:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Vox Nihili posted:

Luka is the new MJ except instead of being unstoppably quick and explosive he moves 20% slower than everyone else on the court so every shot has a nasty hesitation built into it.

And when you try to adjust he just goes 40% slower and smokes you. Unstoppable.

for real. he’s so loving boring to watch

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
The efficiency displayed now is for all player, so its not gonna be impressive.

Jordan stood out, and he went out in the public conciousness displaying an automatic fadeaway.

Kareem is the real real goat, taking that center thing discussed earlier into account..

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Luka prays at the alter of Cheibriados.

Cheibriados appreciates the change of pace.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
on the flip side about steals, a player can cause a lot more turnovers than they're credit for steals. ESPN had something about some new (?) advanced statistics in the case of Fred Vanvleet:

quote:

Fred VanVleet
For decades NBA fans have been able to quickly find out which players lead the league in turnovers. This season, that honor belongs to Russell Westbrook, who has coughed up the ball 240 times.

But aside from steals, the NBA hasn't always tracked turnovers from the individual defensive side of things. Now it does.

The NBA stats department has begun keeping track of forced turnovers, which helps flag the defenders who cause the blunders that ruin possessions. This metric encompasses a lot more than just the traditional steals, which are convenient to tally but often don't paint the whole picture. Consider the example of VanVleet, whose defensive performances would go unappreciated without these newer and more comprehensive metrics.

According to the NBA's internal models, VanVleet is forcing a league-leading 3.0 turnovers per game this season, significantly higher than his 1.6 steals-per-game average. In fact, VanVleet is on pace to lead the league in forced turnovers for the third straight season.

For decades, we have leaned on steals as the best way to approximate this effect, but VanVleet's numbers this season show why that can be misleading. According to NBA estimates, of his 173 forced turnovers this season, only 34 were credited as a VanVleet steal -- 75 were credited as a steal by a different Raptor, and 64 were non-steal turnovers (out of bounds, violations, offensive fouls, etc.).

At 6-foot-1, VanVleet spends 30% of his time guarding the opposing ball handler, eighth most in the NBA. Despite his relatively slight size, he has an uncanny ability to blow up plays at the point of attack. He ranks second in the league in passes deflected at 3.9 per game, and a bunch of those tipped passes end up in the hands of a Raptors teammate who then gets credit for the steal.

VanVleet's unique ability to cause screwups helps explain why Toronto ranks first in the league in opponent turnover percentage, and second in the league in points scored off turnovers (19.2 points per 100 possessions).

It's been three years since VanVleet's defense on Stephen Curry in the 2019 NBA Finals helped the Raptors win their first title, and he has only gotten better since. Pound-for-pound it's hard to find a more impactful defender in the NBA than VanVleet, but he has yet to make an All-Defensive team. That could change this year.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

why dont they just give nba draft picks the wonderlic test and some kind of stanford prison experiment test to determine who is the alpha dog in the draft

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Becuase they are 18 years old and do not have fully formed personalities

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

make up is 100% considered tho and gleaned through scouts and interviews

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

euphronius posted:

Becuase they are 18 years old and do not have fully formed personalities

they aren't fully formed at basketball either but you can still attempt an educated guess

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

That's an interesting stat. Though VanVleet has been top 10 in steals per game the last 3 years, but never number one (and he's 8th this year), so I'm not sure I buy the assertion of the article that his current statistical performance doesn't reflect his ability to cause turnovers.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

euphronius posted:

reduce 3pfg% and fg% at the rim and you have a good defense !!

this is a childs understanding of basketball

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

hifi posted:

this is a childs understanding of basketball

it’s literally what the spurs did to win like 40 titles

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

maybe philly should do that then

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Femur posted:

The efficiency displayed now is for all player, so its not gonna be impressive.

Jordan stood out, and he went out in the public conciousness displaying an automatic fadeaway.

Kareem is the real real goat, taking that center thing discussed earlier into account..

Kareem, Wilt, Shaq, probably were all more valuable than Mike, maybe a couple more. but in terms of “greatness” which isn’t solely based on on-court play I don’t think any of them have an argument, none of them are especially close

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

indigi posted:

Kareem, Wilt, Shaq, probably were all more valuable than Mike, maybe a couple more. but in terms of “greatness” which isn’t solely based on on-court play I don’t think any of them have an argument, none of them are especially close

MJ's claim to greatness is the set of 6 seasons that make up his 3peats. No one else in NBA history has a set of 6 seasons like that.

LeBron's last 3 seasons in Cleveland (the first time) and his first 3 in Miami are his best, but they're not as good as Jordan's top 6, nor are anyone else's top 6, even if you scatter them across a career.

But at some point career longevity has to factor in to who is the best player, and Jordan retiring at the peak of his greatness twice is uh, kind of a knock on him in my book.

Also, next two seasons we'll see a comparison between Jordan at 38-39 and LeBron at 38-39, which should be hilarious.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

does Lebron get to sit out against good teams like he’s doing now?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I have a hard time faulting anyone, particularly older players, for being healthy scratches from games nowadays. If he was the only player doing it, that'd be one thing, but the way the NBA regular season is constructed, and the relative lack of importance that "anyone above .500 makes the playoffs" puts on individual games means it's better overall for guys to play 60-70 games than to try for all 82. Like, I can't fault modern pitchers in baseball for not throwing 160 pitch complete games like they did back in the day for the same reason. Just how the game has changed.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Azathoth posted:

That's an interesting stat. Though VanVleet has been top 10 in steals per game the last 3 years, but never number one (and he's 8th this year), so I'm not sure I buy the assertion of the article that his current statistical performance doesn't reflect his ability to cause turnovers.

Basically all the stats and the eye test support VanVleet being a good defensive player but he's short sooooo

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Azathoth posted:

My read wasn't that steals already reflect his ability to cause turnovers, it's just that it doesn't tell the whole story about how good he is at causing turnovers.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
https://twitter.com/nbcsphilly/status/1509712255037943810?s=21&t=maya-ya_CdK9IdNQnVZsKQ

crying and puking like i just got divorced

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Azathoth posted:

MJ's claim to greatness is the set of 6 seasons that make up his 3peats. No one else in NBA history has a set of 6 seasons like that.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

fair

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

people dribbled with 2 hands back then

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

by my count, michael jordan is the 7th player to win back to back threepeats. big deal

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Apr 1, 2022

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

already gone

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

fart simpson posted:

by my count, michael jordan is the 7th player to win back to back threepeats. big deal

drat it’s true. also Iverson was more important to modern basketball than Jordan

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

Dreylad posted:

already gone

https://twitter.com/sportscenter/status/1509731874976972800?s=21&t=U1CgedVbNjqhFE7hKAJk4g

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

baseball starts next week !!

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

euphronius posted:

baseball starts next week !!

you think the PHILLIES are going to bring you happiness!?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

all I’m looking for is a modicum of entertainment

but yes I think the Phillies will be “good”

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
but the first round of the playoffs will be exciting

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

i haven’t enjoyed a playoff game in years

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
last few playoffs have been amazing quit being a nba emo

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
yeah who could forget this great NBA playoff moment that I have probably watched hundreds of times now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChT3ewZXTfM

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Celtics won.

Aginst the Pacers.

:unsmith:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

skipmyseashells posted:

last few playoffs have been amazing quit being a nba emo

If you're not angry and depressed every time you watch sports you aren't a Real Fan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009