Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m glad that first eye of Sauron tower does not respawn

Was 100% assuming it would

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Cowcaster posted:

while you are two handing a weapon your strength stat is calculated as 1.5x what it actually is and all that entails. as you suspect, weapons that do not scale well with strength only see minimal benefit from two handing

Worth noting that there is some amount of base damage scaling too, though it's minimal. I'm using a keen guardian swordspear which is one of the few weapons with absolutely no strength scaling, and it's damage still goes up (only around 3% lol) when two-handing.

I think two handing also increases stagger damage your weapon deals? And of course makes it so your weapon doesn't bounce off shields / hard skin.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

hazardousmouse posted:

What does the staff of loss do for those spells?

nothing, unfortunately. same duration and, as far as anyone can tell, same reduction in visibility

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Vermain posted:

nothing, unfortunately. same duration and, as far as anyone can tell, same reduction in visibility

Lol I just looked and apparently that staff is for the night projectile spells

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

If you trust this calculator spreadsheet (make a copy to be able to edit the numbers), at the minimum 18 int the Meteorite Staff loses to the Demi-Human Queen Staff (which has the highest base power and the lowest int scaling) at just +6 out of 25.

At 30 int, Demihuman staff needs +11 to beat it (and it is still better than all non-meteorite competition).
At 41-68 int, the Academy Glintstone Staff is best non-Lusat staff in the game, and it beats meteorite at +14.
Carian Regal Scepter takes +7 to beat it at the minimum 60 int.

So if I'm doing this right, it's telling me that at 80 INT and +10 upgrade , a Carian Regal Scepter is 373 Sorcery scaling, while a Lusat is 413. That's only about 10% more sorcery scaling, but Lusat adds 50% more FP cost. So that doesn't seem worth it unless there's something magical about going over 400 with Sorcery scaling (which I suspect there is not). And the Lusat effect is just the higher sorcery scaling, right? There's no extra hidden power boost other than the number being 413?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

McCoy Pauley posted:

So if I'm doing this right, it's telling me that at 80 INT and +10 upgrade , a Carian Regal Scepter is 373 Sorcery scaling, while a Lusat is 413. That's only about 10% more sorcery scaling, but Lusat adds 50% more FP cost. So that doesn't seem worth it unless there's something magical about going over 400 with Sorcery scaling (which I suspect there is not). And the Lusat effect is just the higher sorcery scaling, right? There's no extra hidden power boost other than the number being 413?

everything you have said is accurate

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

hazardousmouse posted:

What does the staff of loss do for those spells?

The "invisibility" spells staff of loss buffs are not the actual hidden body etc spells, they are the dark-blue selia spells like Night Comet and Ambush Shard. These are invisible to enemies in the sense that enemy AI will never react or try to dodge them.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

hazardousmouse posted:

Lol I just looked and apparently that staff is for the night projectile spells

it also says that it can "only" cast invisibility sorceries like the night spells and hidden body, which isn't true. it's another real oddball gameplay element ala bloodthorn stuff that feels like they had grander plans that got pared down to the half-implemented ideas you see today

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

everything you have said is accurate

Thanks.

Completely unrelated question about Pidia (and/or I suppose, Ranni's quest):

At the end of Ranni's quest, after I went back to her tower and sadly had to put down Blaidd, I also happily found that Seluvis was dead, and then figured I'd go check in on Pidia since I was there. As I approached his area I heard him crying out, and then saw this:

What happened? Who are those dudes and where did they come from, and assuming they killed him -- why? Are they Seluvis puppets that got free when Seluvis died? I haven't gone back to check that creepy underground puppet storage area, but I don't remember them being up in the Pidia room before, so not sure what's happening there. Or why.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

McCoy Pauley posted:

Not really a magic guy myself but from what little I understand, that 40 scaling difference probably matters if you're fully committing to glass cannon stuff and adding other talismans/gear/buffs that stack sorcery damage multiplicatively. I don't know how much it matters but that seems to be the logic with stuff like that ime

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

my favorite weird half-implemented idea is still definitely the perfumer's talisman, which works on exactly two items in the game: the spark aromatic, and the spark crossbow bolts that pages rarely drop, which are basically worse explosive bolts unless you give them a mild buff with the talisman

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

McCoy Pauley posted:

What happened? Who are those dudes and where did they come from, and assuming they killed him -- why? Are they Seluvis puppets that got free when Seluvis died? I haven't gone back to check that creepy underground puppet storage area, but I don't remember them being up in the Pidia room before, so not sure what's happening there. Or why.

It seems very likely that Seluvis was also a puppet being controlled by Pidia

e: as for why, Ranni really doesn't like Seluvis and keeps him around only for as long as he's useful to her

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

yeah, if the plan is that you're going to chug the 10 seconds of free casting physick and hose down things with comet azur then every point counts, which is where lusat's staff usually pops up

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Not really a magic guy myself but from what little I understand, that 40 scaling difference probably matters if you're fully committing to glass cannon stuff and adding other talismans/gear/buffs that stack sorcery damage multiplicatively. I don't know how much it matters but that seems to be the logic with stuff like that ime

Oof -- that's a good point, but worrying about how buffs stack multiplicatively or not was always the part of Diablo 3 I couldn't fully wrap my head around, and I suspect I'm not going to do it here. Too busy slanging rocks.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cowcaster posted:

yeah, if the plan is that you're going to chug the 10 seconds of free casting physick and hose down things with comet azur then every point counts, which is where lusat's staff usually pops up

I tried to combo the free casting physic with the aerial rot breath and sadly after the second exhale you land and stop anyway. You do get two full bars worth of casting it that way though. I've been one or two-shotting anything coming my way with it (loving perspective with the fire giant lol)

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

I tried to combo the free casting physic with the aerial rot breath and sadly after the second exhale you land and stop anyway. You do get two full bars worth of casting it that way though. I've been one or two-shotting anything coming my way with it (loving perspective with the fire giant lol)

i haven't tried it myself, but i'm told that you can get a second air belch off of any airborne dragon breath spells if you have your talisman in your main hand instead of your offhand

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Vermain posted:

i haven't tried it myself, but i'm told that you can get a second air belch off of any airborne dragon breath spells if you have your talisman in your main hand instead of your offhand

You can, but I mean with infinite fp, doing that, you still land after the second burp instead of continuing to breathe

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://twitter.com/Settlerin/status/1509304800218865664

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Did they patch those loving jar knights? I cannot cheese them and you better not get touched by their poo poo. Plus it's super dull to kill both giants ahead and still have a three rear end in a top hat fight ahead of you.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

McCoy Pauley posted:

Thanks.

Completely unrelated question about Pidia (and/or I suppose, Ranni's quest):

At the end of Ranni's quest, after I went back to her tower and sadly had to put down Blaidd, I also happily found that Seluvis was dead, and then figured I'd go check in on Pidia since I was there. As I approached his area I heard him crying out, and then saw this:

If you take a look at Seluvis's "corpse," the position he's in is the same as the inactive dolls in his basement or that used to be around Pidia. I think that Seluvis was himself a doll being controlled by Pidia, and Ranni was getting rid of the little shithead before she headed off on her mission.

There was likely a real Seluvis at one time, and he was probably also a piece of poo poo (going by what Sellen says about him), but the one we interacted with might well have been a puppet himself.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Did they patch those loving jar knights? I cannot cheese them and you better not get touched by their poo poo. Plus it's super dull to kill both giants ahead and still have a three rear end in a top hat fight ahead of you.

The jar knights are copying player builds, so you probably just got unlucky

OH WORD SON
Apr 21, 2006

Willfrey posted:

What's your irl address

Oooh a visitor? C'mon over. I'll wrap your gift

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Lol I never fought Mogh and he is owning me.

His attacks aren’t even very complicated what’s going on

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Against big enemies (who get staggered for much longer) you can actually land a jump attack and still have time to critical afterwards.

Against human-sized enemies the critical will knock them down and give you time for a free jump attack or charged R2 while they're standing back up.

Alternately, how about 4 jump attacks for fucken 8000 damage

https://i.imgur.com/vD4sXCe.mp4

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The "invisibility" spells staff of loss buffs are not the actual hidden body etc spells, they are the dark-blue selia spells like Night Comet and Ambush Shard. These are invisible to enemies in the sense that enemy AI will never react or try to dodge them.

I tried using ambush shard on a crucible knight and as you'd expect it didn't try to dodge but it also made the deflected by shield sound so apparently it just bounced off the inside of his shield

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

he has some of the heftiest delays on his attacks out of any of the main bosses and a couple unintuitive hitboxes for stuff like his bloodflame claws that requires a bit of practice

i really like him as a boss but he absolutely makes you feel like a circus clown the first time through until your muscle memory adjusts around the timings

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

It’s the range. His reach is hard to judge

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Ice Fist posted:

This would have bugged me ALOT more if I had not known to go and get the torch. Then it's merely an annoying 3? black knife assassins and what that usually entails.

How are you supposed to deal with that if you don't know about the torch?

I didn't have the torch when I did it. I left the attacking guy to last, got the other done first (had to deal with annoying archers) and then just jumped across the rooftops and made a mad dash to the final one before the assassin could even attack me.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Harrow posted:

If you take a look at Seluvis's "corpse," the position he's in is the same as the inactive dolls in his basement or that used to be around Pidia. I think that Seluvis was himself a doll being controlled by Pidia, and Ranni was getting rid of the little shithead before she headed off on her mission.

There was likely a real Seluvis at one time, and he was probably also a piece of poo poo (going by what Sellen says about him), but the one we interacted with might well have been a puppet himself.

Oh ho! That's tremendous. I hadn't noticed that about Seluvis's -- I guess I assumed Blaidd got him while going beserk -- that I love that explanation for what was going on with the extremely creepy doll storyline. Very nice touch that they let you hear Pidia's demise happening as you're platforming down to his room.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

McCoy Pauley posted:

Oh ho! That's tremendous. I hadn't noticed that about Seluvis's -- I guess I assumed Blaidd got him while going beserk -- that I love that explanation for what was going on with the extremely creepy doll storyline. Very nice touch that they let you hear Pidia's demise happening as you're platforming down to his room.

Plus it actually happens right after you give Ranni the Fingerslayer Blade, which is what makes me think it's Ranni's parting shot at him. When you give her the blade is when she sets off on her journey (by inhabiting the miniature Ranni doll), so I'm guessing she turns Seluvis/Pidia's dolls against him on her way out. It owns how absolutely nobody likes that creep.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

TeaJay posted:

I didn't have the torch when I did it. I left the attacking guy to last, got the other done first (had to deal with annoying archers) and then just jumped across the rooftops and made a mad dash to the final one before the assassin could even attack me.

Cool. I didn't know there were routes that didn't aggro one of the assassins. The way I moved about the area I just naturally ended up fighting them.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Ranni is objectively the strongest demigod because 1. You can't kill her and 2. If you aggro her 3 times she will instantly kill you regardless of vigor.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

McCoy Pauley posted:

Ya he's dead before Blaidd goes nuts, the puppets turn on him after you give her the fingerslayer

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Vermain posted:

he has some of the heftiest delays on his attacks out of any of the main bosses and a couple unintuitive hitboxes for stuff like his bloodflame claws that requires a bit of practice

i really like him as a boss but he absolutely makes you feel like a circus clown the first time through until your muscle memory adjusts around the timings

Oh I know it’s just funny that all the hard bosses I was fighting pretty well even if I died a lot. But this edgelord with a candelabra is owning me so I’m making no progress

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Spoilery question about Ranni/Seluvis questlines that I don't feel sure of from reading the wiki:

If I poison Ranni, what happens to Seluvis afterward? I know you can get absolution and finish Ranni's line but I don't see anything about if Blaidd/Iji retaliate against Seluvis or anything like that.

I am just looking for a straight answer in order to know what I want to do in my second playthrough, so don't spare any details. I did the full Ranni line in first playthrough.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

emdash posted:

Spoilery question about Ranni/Seluvis questlines that I don't feel sure of from reading the wiki:

If I poison Ranni, what happens to Seluvis afterward? I know you can get absolution and finish Ranni's line but I don't see anything about if Blaidd/Iji retaliate against Seluvis or anything like that.

I am just looking for a straight answer in order to know what I want to do in my second playthrough, so don't spare any details. I did the full Ranni line in first playthrough.

Yeah if you slip ranni the poison she wakes up goes WTF, tells you to gently caress off you little poo poo, I'm embarrassed that I ever trusted you. Then if you talk to 3 times she straight up kills you (see comment above) and disappears. Go to Seluvis tower and you find him dead but you can still buy puppets. Seeking absolution and Ranni comes back but I never actually checked if Seluvis comes back or not.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Double

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm still mad I can't absolve and revive Gostoc

His quest wasn't a thing yet From give me a break!

e: I think I'm going to start a caestus build, speaking of. Anything I should go for with it?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

MasterBuilder posted:

Yeah if you slip ranni the poison she wakes up goes WTF, tells you to gently caress off you little poo poo, I'm embarrassed that I ever trusted you. Then if you talk to 3 times she straight up kills you (see comment above) and disappears. Go to Seluvis tower and you find him dead but you can still buy puppets. Seeking absolution and Ranni comes back but I never actually checked if Seluvis comes back or not.

Thank you, that was pretty much exactly what I was looking for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

The current any% speed run of Elden Ring is at 18 minutes and change, and involves a weird "zip" glitch which can catapult your character hundreds of meters forward, resolution changes to make the glitch easier, specific ledge falls and hard quits to trick the game into thinking you're someplace else, a Godskin Duo boss door glitch that makes them totally inactive, collection of mostly just two specific weapons and upgrade materials, flying Torrent, a quick level up to maybe level 20 or so, and launch day Hoarfrost Stomp to kill the only two mandatory bosses in the run (the last two.)