Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

kartikeya posted:

Sure. You can say "This thing this country is doing is bad, and this other country calling them on it is hypocritical because x". The difference is in not downplaying the former with the latter, but it's what Rall nearly always does. And every single one of his cartoons and commentaries on this conflict have been deflecting blame away from Russia, or positioning Russia as the victim. He acts as though this war just sort of happened, just appeared one day out of the clear blue sky, inexplicable, and everyone is unfairly blaming poor Russia for these events that were entirely beyond its control.

Comparing things is not "whataboutism". Calling someone on their hypocrisy is not "whataboutism". "Whataboutism" is using something else as an excuse to get out of/deflect criticism away from whatever the person going "well what about x" is taking heat for. US war crimes do not make Russian war crimes less, etc, and there is nothing wrong or underserved about the world's reaction to what Russia's leadership has done and is doing, the wrong is in the US (and others, but especially the US) getting away with what they have done.

Precisely.

quote:

This is not the argument that Rall has been making.

Nor will he ever make that argument because 1) he's literally paid by the Russian government, and 2) even if he wasn't he's too inept to manage that kind of nuance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Nor will he ever make that argument because 1) he's literally paid by the Russian government, and 2) even if he wasn't he's too inept to manage that kind of nuance.

I feel like both points are worth putting foward here.

Rall knows what he's doing when he brings out 'leftist' points about how the US is evil and terrible to defend even more evil and terrible people, or how Biden is both a sleepy, ill-minded fool and an evil warlord just thirsting to get us into a conflict. He knows that even a surface-level look at the claims shows that he's a hack.

But it's also worth pointing out that the Russians are willing to pay this man for what essentially are published shitposts, because it gives them another avenue to go 'SEE, EVEN THEY REALIZE IT! WE'RE JUSTIFIED!' to people back home.

It's a version of the 'FOX News Feedback Loop' that Jon Stewart pointed out years ago: One show finds a wing-nut to bring on to make a spurious point about something, then the other shows say 'Well, that guy is in the media talking about it. The News trusts him so he MUST be on to something!', and it reinforces itself. You can see it happening in Russia now: Russian State TV says that the evil US Govt. Is funding nazis and bio-labs. Then cue Tucker talking about nazis and bio-labs. It doesn't fool anyone who knows about Tucker, but it looks convincing.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

ANY DAY NOW!

Of course, Biden's new proposed budget has nearly 800 billion dollars allocated to give to police departments and he literally said "The answer is not to defund police" recently, but I guess why stop loudly asserting that Biden wants to defund police now? Not like reality has ever mattered to conservatives before.

Jay Rust posted:

Nah, Rall hasn’t said “Russia bombing hospitals is a necessary evil” yet, I’m pretty sure, he’s really just been pointing out hypocrisy, which is, you know, fun

https://rall.com/2022/03/29/the-left-must-continue-to-avoid-the-ukraine-trap

quote:

If the Left backed Ukraine, they’d be joining an unholy alliance with a government installed in a CIA-backed coup, that pointlessly provoked Russia by asking to join NATO and is so tolerant of neo-Nazism that it allows soldiers wearing Nazi insignia in its military and is seems to be trying to set some sort of record for building statues to World War II Nazi collaborators and anti-Semites.

Okay, sure, he hasn't explicitly said that Russia needs to be bombing hospitals, true, but when he's concern trolling about how pro-Nazi Ukraine is, his only options are either "Bombing hospitals is good, actually" or to just dismiss it as "fake news." Also it's pretty funny how both Rall, a self-proclaimed leftist, and Ben Garrison, a far right fascist, both are saying that Ukraine provoked Russia into attacking them. Weird!

Also here's a fun quote too:

quote:

Any leftist who publicly expresses support for Ukraine and/or criticizes Russia in the current media environment, awash in imperialist propaganda at a fever pitch, is a rube, a dupe, an idiot.

"Anyone who criticizes Russia's imperialist actions is actually pro-imperialist."

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

It's like tankies never actually learned anything about Lenin or his attitude to imperialist wars.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Xander77 posted:

It's like tankies never actually learned.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Having recently had a bit of exposure to Caleb Maupin, I'm now fairly convinced that Rall falls into the same category of "fascist but with capitalists on the enemies list," the main difference being that Maupin would put a bunch of parentheses around "capitalists" and I don't think Rall swings quite that way.

Also thanks for taking my question about whataboutism seriously y'all. I have seen claims of whataboutism deployed fairly aggressively and facetiously in the past and it's good to know there's a line between honest comparison and minimisation / windmilling.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
The line is really "Is the person bringing up this other thing to lend evidence to their argument that x is bad, or are they bringing it up to say x isn't that bad?"

We see that in that Rall opinion piece I linked, where he opens by saying that someone emailed him "Find a way to be against the war in Ukraine." If Rall wasn't engaging in whataboutism, he would respond by saying "Of course I'm against Russian aggression in Ukraine, my cartoons have been showing how Russia is being imperialist and should be opposed, just like how the US was imperialist and should have been opposed when they went into Iraq/Afghanistan/etc." Instead, his response is to say "Well akshually what Russia is doing doesn't matter, you shouldn't pay attention to it, you should instead be focusing on how bad the US is, criticizing Russia makes you an idiot and an imperialist."

No wait, that's giving him too much credit, because he also says "Ukraine practically forced Russia to take action against them by being so provocative!"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Somfin posted:

Having recently had a bit of exposure to Caleb Maupin, I'm now fairly convinced that Rall falls into the same category of "fascist but with capitalists on the enemies list," the main difference being that Maupin would put a bunch of parentheses around "capitalists" and I don't think Rall swings quite that way.

Rall's not really a fascist, though. He's more just a lazy, reflexive contrarian who doesn't have any real thought-out values (apart from strong "no you shut the gently caress up dad" instincts which he directs at America in general, not entirely incorrectly but entirely ineptly), and at this moment it's fascists who are the ones willing to pay him. Put another way, if he'd grown up in the Soviet Union instead of the US he'd probably be working for some minor anti-establishment exile organization in the Baltics or something writing equally-lazy garbage about how great an American intervention in Ukraine would be because the Russians tested the biggest hydrogen bomb ever and isn't that evil?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Other people have already had fun poking the metaphor, but I'll say this is a valient attempt to reclaim "fake news" after being commandeered by Trump et al. Also, Malarky!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Rall's not really a fascist, though. He's more just a lazy, reflexive contrarian who doesn't have any real thought-out values (apart from strong "no you shut the gently caress up dad" instincts which he directs at America in general, not entirely incorrectly but entirely ineptly), and at this moment it's fascists who are the ones willing to pay him. Put another way, if he'd grown up in the Soviet Union instead of the US he'd probably be working for some minor anti-establishment exile organization in the Baltics or something writing equally-lazy garbage about how great an American intervention in Ukraine would be because the Russians tested the biggest hydrogen bomb ever and isn't that evil?
Being a contrarian in the Soviet Union had consequences, greater or lesser depending on the time period. After the very first remark from the neighborhood's Officer Friendly, he'd limit his expressions to the communal kitchen.

I wouldn't wish him to share the unfortunate fate of Vasisualiy Lokhankin, as only hosed up psychopaths sit around and fantasize about that.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Is Rall even being paid by the Russians any more? I thought he lost that gig when the war started, whined about it on Twitter, then called everyone who made fun of him a Nazi?

Which would make a lot of this pandering to get that job back, and thus very funny.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

After The War posted:

Is Rall even being paid by the Russians any more? I thought he lost that gig when the war started, whined about it on Twitter, then called everyone who made fun of him a Nazi?

Which would make a lot of this pandering to get that job back, and thus very funny.

He's still working for them; some of his RT work was shuttered, but he's writing columns for Sputnik and appearing in their audio programs, at a minimum.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 31, 2022

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

He's still working for them; some of his RT work was shuttered, but he's writing columns for Sputnik and appearing in their audio programs, at a minimum.

If that's true how do we inform Twitter that he is an employee of a state sponsored news agency? I can't imagine how mad it would make him if he had that tag attached to his twitter.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Pleasant Friend posted:

If that's true how do we inform Twitter that he is an employee of a state sponsored news agency? I can't imagine how mad it would make him if he had that tag attached to his twitter.

I can look into that; he's technically a freelancer, in all likelihood, but I don't know twitter's exact rules. RT/Sputnik and their associated networks love to provide free resources and funding to mediating voices for their messaging; it gives them deniability.

edit: he falls under their state-affiliated media definition, but it's not immediately clear how to report him.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 31, 2022

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Don't touch the poop. The funniest way to interact with Ted Rall is to not interact with him at all.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah lol the last thing we need is for Rall to figure out this thread is most of his readerbase and decide to become a D&D fixture.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Libra posted:

Don't touch the poop. The funniest way to interact with Ted Rall is to not interact with him at all.

yeah, hell is Ted Rall's thought process, let him live there.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Libra posted:

Don't touch the poop. The funniest way to interact with Ted Rall is to get called a Nazi and blocked.

Is more like that. Or have him agree with you and go on a diatribe about Ebert again.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

This is the only part of the Prickly City cycle that I enjoy seeing. Why won't anybody take me seriously as a libertarian? Sure, everyone who shares my beliefs is crazy and stupid, but somehow I'm different.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

fool of sound posted:

Yeah lol the last thing we need is for Rall to figure out this thread is most of his readerbase and decide to become a D&D fixture.
He’d be banned in a day, pay to unban, try posting in CSPAM, get banned again, and then whine about us on twitter.

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

Kellies Nomination: Most Easily Interpreted

The way the Strawman Character puts "left-wing trolls" in quotes makes me believe that Drinky Duck only thinks they're real (or possibly a drunken hallucination)

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

sirtommygunn posted:

This is the only part of the Prickly City cycle that I enjoy seeing. Why won't anybody take me seriously as a libertarian? Sure, everyone who shares my beliefs is crazy and stupid, but somehow I'm different.

Probably the most political commentary in a prickly city strip for some time, even if the commentary is about a nothing party that will never get any kind of power anywhere

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Pants Donkey posted:

He’d be banned in a day, pay to unban, try posting in CSPAM, get banned again, and then whine about us on twitter.

are you kidding, they'd love him in zspam

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

JamesBont posted:

The way the Strawman Character puts "left-wing trolls" in quotes makes me believe that Drinky Duck only thinks they're real (or possibly a drunken hallucination)

Isn't that one just "all these right wing not-twitters are kind of empty"? That's how I read it at least. I can't see what else it could be about.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Russia’s claimed withdrawal from Kyiv – Russia’s defence ministry said its forces in Ukraine were regrouping near Kyiv and Chernihiv in order to focus on other key areas, after it earlier said it would drastically scale back military operations near the two cities"

Telegraph:

Matt:

Solar panels to cover an area the size of Exmoor; :sun: UK weather: Cricketers run for cover from snow shower as temperatures set to plunge :supaburn:

Independent:

Boris Johnson to face MPs after police issue partygate fines

Times:

After Adolph Northen.

Evening Standard:

Stephen Collins:

Boris Johnson jokes about Putin, Partygate and trans row at Tory dinner

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

JamesBont posted:

I think the intended reading is that the straw liberal girlfriend (Chantel?) is mocking him, and she gets one of her rare wins because the joke is on tight-wing social media clones

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Cloud Potato posted:

Evening Standard:

Alright, I giggled a bit.

NDP
Jun 25, 2021

Libra posted:

That's the best option. Rall is being used to create dissension among the American left so it will be rendered divided, demoralized, and ineffective. Fortunately, his audience is too small to affect much of anything.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

1. Zelensky addresses the Australian parliament. Volodymyr Zelensky asks Australia for Bushmaster armoured vehicles to fend off Russian invasion of Ukraine (Canberra Times)
2. Scott Morrison labelled an ‘autocrat and bully who has no moral compass’ by Liberal senator Concetta Fierravanti-Wells (Guardian).
3. Anthony Albanese gives the opposition's budget reply speech. Labor pledges $2.5 billion for aged care, and cheaper childcare in budget reply (SMH).

Rowe:

Knight:

Lethbridge:

Wilcox:

Leak, Son of Leak:

Labor waved through the cost of living package earlier in the week but call it a blatant election vote grab exercise "they may as well have stapled cash to their how-to-vote cards". Anthony Albanese labels federal budget a ‘cynical exercise’ aimed only at re-election (Guardian)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Trapezium Dave posted:

Leak, Son of Leak:

Labor waved through the cost of living package earlier in the week but call it a blatant election vote grab exercise "they may as well have stapled cash to their how-to-vote cards". Anthony Albanese labels federal budget a ‘cynical exercise’ aimed only at re-election (Guardian)
You got to give me the fangs. And the spittle.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Le Monde

30/3

by Emad Hajjaj from Jordan

31/3

by Chappatte from Switzerland
"Vladmir, I just need to finish this chore and I'll get back to you."

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Imagine paying Ted Rall to spread your propaganda Imagine paying Ted Rall.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Imagine four Ted Ralls on the edge of a cliff.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

quote:

SO MANY SLAPS- SO LITTLE TIME! THE GREAT SLAPPENING PART 2

Ben’s latest cartoon “The Great Slappening of 2022” was a big hit. So much so that Ben decided to do a “part two” for today. To be honest, Ben could do a part three, part four and on and on. So many people need a good hard smack to the head to knock some sense into them. And of course, in today’s super sensitive snowflake culture, we must add a disclaimer saying these are cartoons done in jest and Ben is not condoning violence.

So here are a few more well deserved cartoon slaps:

Adam Schiff, has to be one of the top liars in congress. Every other word(s) out of his watermelon head is “Russia, Russia, Russia”. Recently he added a new word to his vocabulary, “Kremlin”.

Pro-tip: If Adam Schiff opens his mouth a lie is coming out.

Disney, has shown it’s true colors as a radical “woke” corporation. They were not kidding when they said Disney is coming for your kids. Ben drew a “Woke Disney” cartoon a while back, but even he was shocked by the extent of Disney’s LGBT-QRST%+ indoctrination. The stories are breaking every day about what is really going on in “The Happiest Place on Earth”. Disney will no longer say “boys and girls” or “ladies and gentlemen” and will replace them with “dreamers of all ages”. We all didn’t cross the border illegally and referring to everyone as a “dreamer” is offensive.

Florida’s Alpha Governor, Ron DeSantis, is ringing the alarm bells about Disney’s child grooming. DeSantis recently signed a parent’s rights bill into law banning the woke teachers from pushing their indoctrination on little children from K- to third grade. DeSantis should have gone even further and banned the gender benders from the school curriculums completely. A top level Disney executive with two pan and trans kids is admitting the corporation’s pro-queer agenda and plans on adding 50% more “queer” into future Disney stories.

All we can say is stop giving Disney your money if you value your children. Buy old Disney movies second hand before they edit out any non-woke parts. Cancel your Disney plus subscriptions and for heavens sake, do not take your kids to Disney Child Grooming land!

Hillary Clinton, was recently fined by the Federal Election commission for lying about funding the fake Russia dossier. Yeah that will teach her, right?

President Trump weighed in with a few choice words of his own:

This was done to create, as I have stated many times, and is now confirmed, a hoax funded by the DNC and the Clinton Campaign.. “This corruption is only beginning to be revealed, is un-American, and must never be allowed to happen again. Where do I go to get my reputation back?

Reminder Hillary’s campaign was found to be spying on the Trump campaign. Funny how the Ukraine incursion popped up quickly after that news broke. Looks like Durham is about to release more news very soon!

Hold them all accountable and lock them up!

-GrrrTeam

"...in today’s super sensitive snowflake culture..."
"...We all didn’t cross the border illegally and referring to everyone as a “dreamer” is offensive."

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

"Truth" is a white person in a suit. :thunk:

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 31, 2022

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Trapezium Dave posted:

Leak, Son of Leak:

That's what parties should do every year. The scandal is not that they are doing this to gain votes in an election year. The scandal is that they do not do this every year.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 2, 2022

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
"50% more “queer” into future Disney stories." Oh no! That adds up to a whole extra background character per three movies looking as if they might be thinking of possibly holding hands with a same sex sort-of-partner. Western civilisation is doomed

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

He's more just a lazy, reflexive contrarian who doesn't have any real thought-out values (apart from strong "no you shut the gently caress up dad" instincts which he directs at America in general, not entirely incorrectly but entirely ineptly)

I think when all is boiled down, this is what the actual definition of a tankie is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009