Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

The TB-3 is sweet. very underrated. a more modern style step sequencer, much bigger sonic range / variety of sounds. They have classic 303 sounds and a bunch of new leads and things like that. Plus an editor program to update your patches (not a lot of options but a few more than you can get to from the hardware panel iirc - like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zej_J5_Ke5s)

I think I might get another one lol

edit, here's a bad gear on it lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waftFv9fB34

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

some kinda jackal posted:

Does anyone have a Roland TB-3 that can compare it to a Behringer TD-3? I picked up the behringer a while ago, but.. man... I'm just not meshing with the workflow at all. Is the Roland any easier to program and jam on? I know that's a SUPER subjective question.

I guess I could answer my own question by just watching some TB-3 tutorials on youtube. I'm not sure how much I want to "jam" on one anyway, but even programming simple patterns on this thing kind of sucks. I can hook it up to the computer and use Behringer's sequencer software but.. like at that point why don't I just get a TB clone VST. I typically hate touchscreens but I think the Roland TB-3 might actually have a good fit for entering slides and things with your finger.

I'm genuinely curious about the roland, like the IDEA of a TB clone, and I'm not attached to the behringer at ALL at this point. I'm probably going to throw it up on reverb or sa-mart and take the L. If I've learned anything, it's that if I don't like a piece of gear I'm just flat out not going to use it, so no sense in trying to convert myself. I have a lot of other gear to put my time into.

I really did not like the TB-3 and ended up getting a TD-3 instead. Programming it was maybe easier I guess tho but I found I missed the right note a lot. the TB-3 seemed like it'd probably be better for live jamming and switching things up on the fly in a way that would be awkward with the TD-3. The built in fx on a lot of the presets were also kinda meh though and I'd rather just run things through an fx pedal and have more control but YMMV

Also the touchscreen also isn't great imo. It's a cool gimmick, but it feels more like the kind of lovely touchscreen you'd find on a store checkout or fast food place for ordering rather than a slick touchscreen like on an ipad. It probably would be fun and easy to use in a live setting though, which I guess is why it's in the Aira range. They're pretty cheap second hand though so easy enough to get one to try out. Also here's a Bad Gear vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waftFv9fB34

edit: haha, sniped by a positive opinion and the same video link :v: They're cheap so just pick one up and try it!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

they're cheap so just pick one up and try it!

haha. I mean theres a zillion bassline module options out there now. I have a TB-03 right now but I feel like I liked my TB-3 more.

if I had money to blow Id get the standalone Erica synths unit\https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWW0Qybud34

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 30, 2022

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

the DR-202 bad gear where he pairs it with a TB-3 actually made me want a TB clone in the first place. I think I just picked the wrong one lol.

Just impulse GAS'd one since they're pretty inexpensive, all things considered, and I've been very very good with impulse gear buys in the past month and change.

Bad gear is responsible for a non-zero amount of my GAS buys though, I should probably watch it.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 30, 2022

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

A MIRACLE posted:

haha. I mean theres a zillion bassline module options out there now. I have a TB-03 right now but I feel like I liked my TB-3 more.

if I had money to blow Id get the standalone Erica synths unit\https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWW0Qybud34

I messed with one of these at the local synth shop and didn't like it very much. Something about the sound didn't click with me like most 303 clones.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

net work error posted:

I messed with one of these at the local synth shop and didn't like it very much. Something about the sound didn't click with me like most 303 clones.

I don't think they see it as a 303 clone since they clearly advertise different features like a polivoks filter with bandpass, noise, FM, ... it does sound different from a 303 but it's also not trying to be one

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
Another option for 303 clones is TT-303 by cyclone. It has a slightly more advanced sequencer that uses forward and back buttons.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

CatBlack posted:

Another option for 303 clones is TT-303 by cyclone. It has a slightly more advanced sequencer that uses forward and back buttons.

I still really want their cr 78

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I don't think they see it as a 303 clone since they clearly advertise different features like a polivoks filter with bandpass, noise, FM, ... it does sound different from a 303 but it's also not trying to be one

That makes sense. I didn't know much about it going in I just wanted to twiddle the knobs and hear it.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

I love the TD-3, I grabbed two recently and have been thinking about posting how nice it is. Mine are subtly different - at the same settings one is more punctuated and the other is a little wigglier. This is extremely cool to me.

Sorta in the market for a third. jackal if you wanted to swap it or something I have trades, PM me? Off the top of my head I'm no longer using a keyboardless microbrute (the mod is ugly but solid and it works way nicer as a module imo)

303 sequencing notoriously sucks, its a weird process to get working programs. Definitely not a play it in as you hear it. I've very rarely been able to successfully transcribe things to it and have them come out how I think they'd sound. This is part of the magic that people like - happy accidents, the random feature, etc. But its supposed to kind of feel like a pain in the rear end til it clicks.

You can also just sequence it like a midi module, this is what I normally do for the 303 in my songs (x0xbox taught me). Normally its 100 velocity + for accents but the TD starts the cutoff somewhere in the 90s. That threw me. And the legato feels a little different from the ext sequencer vs me playing it live (vs internal) but some of that might be note duration related.

Consider also the MO that is coming out which is a devilfish clone. Might be way more what you're looking for. Or a 101 clone if you just like 90s roland bass and want a more flexible package? And I think the boutique has a trig in, 101 style? (cv/gate/clock being more standard and less cool imo)

CatBlack posted:

x0xbox does that too.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

erica synths bassline is more of a 101 than a 303 but that’s also selling it short. very cool but not where i would point if someone asked for a 303 clone

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

JamesKPolk I'd be down for that as long as you don't mind that it's a TD-3-SR. It'll be on its way out anyway so I'd definitely try a brute if you're up for cross border shenanigans to Canada. Either way my "new" TB-3 is on its way so I'll be getting rid of this bad boy.

Sequencing it via midi WAS pretty neat and maybe the one thing I didn't really try enough of. It was fun and maybe I should have left it at that, instead of being stubbornly tied to the internal sequencer. All the same, given how sour I went on it I think I'm ready just to try something different. In the end they're not rare so if I really want to give one another chance down the road I can always snag again :)

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

JamesKPolk I'd be down for that as long as you don't mind that it's a TD-3-SR. It'll be on its way out anyway so I'd definitely try a brute if you're up for cross border shenanigans to Canada. Either way my "new" TB-3 is on its way so I'll be getting rid of this bad boy.

Sequencing it via midi WAS pretty neat and maybe the one thing I didn't really try enough of. It was fun and maybe I should have left it at that, instead of being stubbornly tied to the internal sequencer. All the same, given how sour I went on it I think I'm ready just to try something different. In the end they're not rare so if I really want to give one another chance down the road I can always snag again :)

Now just imagine, this entire thing was entered in by hand not only in the step sequencer but then arranged in song mode, on an original 303 (slightly worse than the TD-3 to program)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2kcOCsALnw

He's also done some Mozart at live shows

EDIT: Actually it was Beethoven, and it's the 303 sequencing a 101 via CV/Gate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep4-fFfEahE&t=2999s

toadee fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 30, 2022

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Phew better them than me :stonk:

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
Programming 303 stuff is easy when you think about how much stuff was written on mc4s by hand

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I love my TD3. Put like four good sounding random sequences on different tracks, and just mess around on my other synths for an hour or two. I have successfully programmed things into it, but I always have to look up a guide.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Clavavisage posted:

Programming 303 stuff is easy when you think about how much stuff was written on mc4s by hand

Its pretty much the exact same workflow, just that the MC-4 has a number pad instead of a row of buttons arrayed like piano keys. Same "enter the notes, then go back and enter the length/accent/slide status" situation though. The 202 as well.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I'm willing to swap my TD-3-TG for something of roughly equal value.

In the meantime, here's the inside of a QY100 should you ever need to change the internal battery. Easy!

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Very down, lemme grab some pics or something just to make sure - had one person balk when they saw the duct tape :coolfish:

If not I have some rack compressors and stuff? A MiniAK? Maybe some pedals?

petit choux posted:

I'm willing to swap my TD-3-TG for something of roughly equal value.

Would also grab this one lol 4 303s is the dream. Same list + the Brute if skj isn't feeling it? I'd definitely be more into mailing a MiniAK domestically

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

gently caress the gear market in Australia sucks. I'm basically giving away a qy300 and an s2000 and no one locally is interested.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

JamesKPolk posted:

Very down, lemme grab some pics or something just to make sure - had one person balk when they saw the duct tape :coolfish:

If not I have some rack compressors and stuff? A MiniAK? Maybe some pedals?

Would also grab this one lol 4 303s is the dream. Same list + the Brute if skj isn't feeling it? I'd definitely be more into mailing a MiniAK domestically

Either one would be fab, assuming they work. Or you can tell me about your pedals. One thing I'm hankerin' for RN is a delay with a MIDI in, but I'm interested in hearing about whatev you have. You can pm me if you like.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

petit choux posted:

Okay I think we've sealed the deal, you have just what I need!

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/ComputerLove_/status/1509373202807484420?s=20&t=abRGoSRZc799EHg2d3hHYg

:syoon:

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 53 minutes!

Roughly $1500 in today's money

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

god drat

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

titty_baby_ posted:

Roughly $1500 in today's money

I mean I spent $1000 on my MPC One when it first came out, and probably over $1000 on my MPC1000 with updates and mods to make it battery powered so $1500 for that gorgeous bad boy isn't even touching sticker shock territory :lol:

e: I'd love for a Youtube synth/music nerd to review this though, because every video I can find basically indicates this is the equivalent of a crappy (well, even crappier) kids' casio keyboard slapped onto a boombox so maybe my sticker shock is returning :haw:

Maybe they're just not using it right, but ... somehow I doubt it ;)

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Mar 31, 2022

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Is there a USB C hub for the iPad Pro that would let me use a midi controller in and USB audio out through a separate port or 3.5mm jack?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I have this, which I think was honestly just a random amazon search for usb-c audio interface

The port has power icon but IIRC I’ve used it for data before. Obviously you’d need to adapt MIDI into that usb-c port, but I think the iPad will just use class compliant MIDI interfaces if you adapt them to usb-c via a chain of adapters, or if you can find a usb-c midi interface, OR if you just have a USB plug on the back of your actual midi device.

Give me a few minutes to find my USB-A to USB-C adapter and I’ll check class compliant midi compatibility. I have like fifteen C to A adapters underhand but never the one I need to do A to C :|

e: Actually, scratch this specific interface, it doesn't seem to want to power anything over USB-C port so maybe not, but i have to believe this exists.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 31, 2022

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you really want to go all in, there are audio interfaces out there with USB-C ports intended for Apple stuff.

AUDIO4c is what I went with, it's got its quirks but it works well for routing midi and audio between my ipad and my pc. There are many other options out there, like the iRig stuff.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

I have this, which I think was honestly just a random amazon search for usb-c audio interface

The port has power icon but IIRC I’ve used it for data before. Obviously you’d need to adapt MIDI into that usb-c port, but I think the iPad will just use class compliant MIDI interfaces if you adapt them to usb-c via a chain of adapters, or if you can find a usb-c midi interface, OR if you just have a USB plug on the back of your actual midi device.

Give me a few minutes to find my USB-A to USB-C adapter and I’ll check class compliant midi compatibility. I have like fifteen C to A adapters underhand but never the one I need to do A to C :|

I think this is actually exactly what I want (all my stuff has USB C cables). I worried because the charging icon throws me off too. My use case here is a Launchkey into the iPad and audio out of some kind into a DAW or my OP1.

A full blown interface would be a lot of extra wasted space when I really just want something I can throw in my iPad bag.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Rolo posted:

I think this is actually exactly what I want (all my stuff has USB C cables). I worried because the charging icon throws me off too. My use case here is a Launchkey into the iPad and audio out of some kind into a DAW or my OP1.

A full blown interface would be a lot of extra wasted space when I really just want something I can throw in my iPad bag.

Yeah this one might not be it but it's also like, a $10 amazon thing. I'm sure there's a $20 amazon thing that does pass data or power devices via the port. I'm mildly curious now so I'm going to do a little digging myself.

Outside of that, I bought a WIDI Master which is just a MIDI->Bluetooth bridge and it lets me midi in/out of my iPad wirelessly to anything that has standard DIN ports and it's been a godsend. I have it connected to a 1->4 thru box and it pretty much lets me control any device I want instead of just one. Latency has been imperceptible so far but I'm also not doing anything elaborate so YMMV.

e: I have done zero critical research on this specific device but it just struck me as obviously fit for purpose:

https://www.amazon.ca/UGREEN-Adapter-Dongle-Charging-Compatible/dp/B0832BXX5Z

Might not be ideal form factor but I guess it proves that these things exist, so you just need to find one with enough good ratings and that looks like it's obviously meant for usb data and not just power.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 31, 2022

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
Behringer RD-6 and TD-3 arrived today, I am ready for a weekend of making dope synth jams :slick:

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

hell yeah idm and acid house galore

Boody
Aug 15, 2001

Was a Techmoan video from the start of the year about the Sony Chordmachine which seems kind of similiar https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22-HsrdqR_o

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Rolo posted:

Ok consider me curious level 2 about rack stuff. VCV is a ton of fun and I'm finding myself a little more outside my own box every few minutes. Lots of "oh dude I can use this to control this wow" moments followed usually by "that sounds bad" but I'm loving the exploration. Every time I clear the board I branch out a little differently each time. At this point I just want a bank of MIDI knobs for VCA's so I can throw a whole row in and branch them all to different modules and chains of modules.

I'm going to be doing this all day, coolest thing is I'm getting to a point where I can answer some of my own questions by throwing it on there and seeing how it reacts.

So like, ugh. Let's say I definitely don't want to purchase anything right now because it's been literally one day since I started playing with fake modules but I want to start learning about real life hardware, where people talk about them, where they sell them and where to look/listen to people's racks. Where do I start? Is there a general cool place to window shop modules and custom racks?

Modulargrid is a great place to see what options are out there and to plan a potential setup. Definitely recommend it. You can also look at other racks for ideas, but I haven't done much of that -- can't speak to how useful that'd be without curation.

Also, if you end up getting your feet wet, don't make the same mistake I made and try to buy power and finagle your own case in the beginning unless you're very into DIY. The Happy Ending Kit and the Niftycase are really good starting options I wish I'd gone with, since they have power built in and they retain their value pretty well, and both offer a good amount of space. Might feel weird to spend that much on just a case, but unless you're building the power module from scratch, power alone's gonna set you back about $100 due to all the gotchas. The HEK is better bang for your buck, but the Niftycase is more portable and has some handy utilities.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Modulargrid is a great place to see what options are out there and to plan a potential setup. Definitely recommend it. You can also look at other racks for ideas, but I haven't done much of that -- can't speak to how useful that'd be without curation.

Also, if you end up getting your feet wet, don't make the same mistake I made and try to buy power and finagle your own case in the beginning unless you're very into DIY. The Happy Ending Kit and the Niftycase are really good starting options I wish I'd gone with, since they have power built in and they retain their value pretty well, and both offer a good amount of space. Might feel weird to spend that much on just a case, but unless you're building the power module from scratch, power alone's gonna set you back about $100 due to all the gotchas. The HEK is better bang for your buck, but the Niftycase is more portable and has some handy utilities.

Can you expand on what it would cost to DIY the power setup? I might have some relevant hardware already maybe. And BTW, can you adapt a standard 19" gear rack, if you know? Or if anybody knows?

ED: Looking at one of your links I can see it already LOL sorry

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

petit choux posted:

Can you expand on what it would cost to DIY the power setup? I might have some relevant hardware already maybe. And BTW, can you adapt a standard 19" gear rack, if you know? Or if anybody knows?

ED: Looking at one of your links I can see it already LOL sorry

Haha no worries! For the power setup, it depends on your needs.

Let's say you wanted a small rig. Depending on HOW small, one option would be USB power. Synthrotek has a PCB for $6 that you could use with a flying bus cable. And then there's this dude, MMI, selling his PCBs over Reverb. A bit more than Synthrotek, but it's open source (you can find his site here) and it seems to use better components.

Not sure what the BOM comes out to for those in total, though. Depends on where you're getting the parts. Most of the cost likely comes from the DC converter. The Synthrotek lists two options which both show up as out of stock on Mouser, priced at $12 and $16. Mouser DOES have the MMI's converter, and it's $25. And it's a Meanwell, so it's good poo poo.

You CAN find USB power stuff like this elsewhere, but when you factor in shipping, it tends to get toward the price range where you're better off getting a power module like an uZeus/microZeus or something from Befaco, which gives you more room to grow.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I was going to recommend one of the 4ms Pods but drat that Niftycase looks dope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Minor software victory tonight. After lots of trial and error I got Koala and Loopy playing together nicely on the same iPad screen.

Koala plays through the inter-app input of Loopy, which is monitored through the speakers. The recording threshold of a new loop triggers when I start playing anything in Koala. Then I mirror the entire thing to my TV so I can jam on it through my sound system. Tomorrow I’m gonna try and see how I can get my Launchpad involved.

This is freeing up my MacBook for my current VCV obsession, which I’m going to be sampling into Koala soon :ducksiren::ducksiren::ducksiren: