Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

"Nah, that's stupid" lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

"So anyway, here's the Prologue to Stormlight 5."

lol

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

gavilar is just a huge dumbass lol, the smartest schemingest guy in an insane warrior society that finds himself completely out of his league but continues trying to scheme everyone and press forward because it's always worked for him before, some real Peter Principle poo poo

also the "lol. lmao. why would i not want to be immortal and in permanent war, i am alethi" is perfect. war rules, it's all my society does, gently caress it i'll just give up each time i die and be the god king here, idiots

eke out fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 30, 2022

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Tunicate posted:

To extend to Stormlight I don't think Honor's prohibition on future sight is necessarily just an ideology or odium thing, I think reliance upon future sight consistently works out poorly because it gives you false certainty

We also see in book 3 of Stormlight that there are unknown factors that result in someone like Renarin creating a blindspot in the future sight that shards possess and it's entirely likely these exist for Harmony on Scadrial too. So the books have already make it explicitly clear that the sight is flawed and the Shards' bearers have no idea (well one of them does) and someone like Harmony is working off of a flawed perception.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Tunicate posted:

To extend to Stormlight I don't think Honor's prohibition on future sight is necessarily just an ideology or odium thing, I think reliance upon future sight consistently works out poorly because it gives you false certainty

This is an awesome observation and I dig it. Time and time again, reliance on future sight tends to result in defeat. Vin uses someone else's burning of atium to anticipate her own next move, and odium gets punked by an old guy with a cool sword. Maybe Honor knew that taking advantage of future sight was a method the original shardbearers used to kill Adonalsium? So he wanted to avoid a similar mistake. Good theory!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Imo there's almost certainly going to be a present-and-future or influence-and-observation tradeoff in the spiritual plane as a fantasy ripoff of Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Potato Salad posted:

Imo there's almost certainly going to be a present-and-future or influence-and-observation tradeoff in the spiritual plane as a fantasy ripoff of Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle
I mean, that's already basically confirmed. The whole thing with Renarin loving with godsight is so highly reminiscient of atium cancelling atium in Scadrial that it has to be intentional. Seeing the future only works if you're the only person doing it.

Also, Sanderson, you delightful loving lunatic. Stephen King's always been my favorite writer at using the internet because I find it endlessly amusing that the world's greatest living horror writer uses his Twitter almost exclusively for dad jokes and pictures of his dogs, but goddamn. Is the Stormlight 5 prologue in text anywhere? I don't like listening to books, I read much faster than people can talk.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 30, 2022

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

The spice must flow... wait wrong series

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Wait do I need to back the kickstarter to get the books or are they available later

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'd be shocked if Sanderson pulled some FOMO poo poo and didn't continue to sell the books after.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Democratic Pirate posted:

Wait do I need to back the kickstarter to get the books or are they available later

If I recall correctly he's said they will be available in some form, maybe not the sweet hardcover form from the kickstarter

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

Democratic Pirate posted:

You will be able to get the ebook and audiobook within a week or two of their release, but for physical books may have to wait a year or two.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sab669 posted:

I'd be shocked if Sanderson pulled some FOMO poo poo and didn't continue to sell the books after.

IIRC the only one that's permanently out of print is the Infinity Blade novelization hardcovers

if you have one of those there are sanderson collectors who will pay top dollar for them

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Tunicate posted:

IIRC the only one that's permanently out of print is the Infinity Blade novelization hardcovers

if you have one of those there are sanderson collectors who will pay top dollar for them

There aren't any plans for them to print any more copies of The Way of Kings Prime, but they do have it as free e-book

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

It hit 40 millions, Jesus Christ.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
$225 per pledge average might be more impressive than the $40 million

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Jose Valasquez posted:

There aren't any plans for them to print any more copies of The Way of Kings Prime, but they do have it as free e-book
Way of Kings Prime is such an interesting artifact. There's a lot of Warbreaker and Elantris still kicking around in its magic system and the way the characters diverge so wildly from what "actually" happened to them while still remaining recognizable even if they don't have the same name is fascinating.

Proto-Kaladin loving sucks, though. He's so boring and generic.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I can't remember the name of it, but IIRC he also released an old partially-written story where the power in it gets stronger the fewer people who have it and he dropped the idea because the main character can basically learn/master anything by seeing it once and they were just too powerful to write a meaningful story about.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

I'm wondering if he and his team will be using this as a kind of extra door-opener to get a movie or TV series made. I know he's had stuff optioned before even if it never got made, but something like this is easy to use as marketing/reason to green light something. "It's the most backed kickstarter ever, look at these huge numbers of people who signed up just to back it, there's a market we just need a studio to make it. Give us a production company please."

Plus, the whole Cosmere inter-connectedness is similar to the MCU that people are already familiar with.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Stormlight 5 prologue is in the newsletter he sent out this morning, for anyone who wanted the text version.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

Stormlight 5 prologue is in the newsletter he sent out this morning, for anyone who wanted the text version.
Well, that was interesting.

What the gently caress game was the Stormfather playing at? Knowingly being involved with bringing back the Voidbringers? It may have been lying and/or using "new Herald" as words Gavilar would understand better than "become a Bondsmith and reforge the Oathpact centered on yourself", but... "Give it to me. Now. I need them." isn't within a mile of any Radiant or Bondsmith oaths, and notably, Gavilar comes really close to at least "Journey before destination" earlier and the Stormfather doesn't react at all. He's up to something in that prologue, and it -- intentionally, I'm sure -- begs the question: is he still up to it? Because, as it turns out, the Stormfather lies.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

Well, that was interesting.

What the gently caress game was the Stormfather playing at? Knowingly being involved with bringing back the Voidbringers? It may have been lying and/or using "new Herald" as words Gavilar would understand better than "become a Bondsmith and reforge the Oathpact centered on yourself", but... "Give it to me. Now. I need them." isn't within a mile of any Radiant or Bondsmith oaths, and notably, Gavilar comes really close to at least "Journey before destination" earlier and the Stormfather doesn't react at all. He's up to something in that prologue, and it -- intentionally, I'm sure -- begs the question: is he still up to it? Because, as it turns out, the Stormfather lies.

Someone in discord posted that this is still the Stormfather that wanted Dalinar to die rather than bond him and sent a giant storm to kill him lol

But yeah it's really weird and hard, in my opinion, to tell between what's intentionally weird and what's just maybe some first pass writing that'll have its tone corrected through several rounds of edits. I thought the exact thing about the words you mentioned was strange and suspicious too, though I have zero explanation for what the deal is.

Lotta people seem surprised at the lying but that part didn't seem like a big deal to me, Honor's all about bonds and contracts, and unbonded Stormfather doesn't owe anyone poo poo. But his level of agency and scheming DOES make it seem like maybe something more is going on, especially when you compare it to how he'd later talk to Dalinar where he constantly claims to be just a shadow of Tanavast and not know anything about anything.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Dj0yimUXVw

Gotta change the thread title, he's now B. Money.

theghostpt
Sep 1, 2009

This dude :D

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Wtf is that shirt lol

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Is that a Shia Surprise shirt or something?

edit: yes - https://www.redbubble.com/i/t-shirt/Shia-Surprise-by-BakaBroski/16241778.FB110

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Adnor posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Dj0yimUXVw

Gotta change the thread title, he's now B. Money.

I can't believe Sanderson's giving up his writing career to be a professional wrestling announcer and showman.

e: Just noticed the alpha edition Black Lotus. :vince:

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 31, 2022

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

eke out posted:

Someone in discord posted that this is still the Stormfather that wanted Dalinar to die rather than bond him and sent a giant storm to kill him lol

But yeah it's really weird and hard, in my opinion, to tell between what's intentionally weird and what's just maybe some first pass writing that'll have its tone corrected through several rounds of edits. I thought the exact thing about the words you mentioned was strange and suspicious too, though I have zero explanation for what the deal is.

Lotta people seem surprised at the lying but that part didn't seem like a big deal to me, Honor's all about bonds and contracts, and unbonded Stormfather doesn't owe anyone poo poo. But his level of agency and scheming DOES make it seem like maybe something more is going on, especially when you compare it to how he'd later talk to Dalinar where he constantly claims to be just a shadow of Tanavast and not know anything about anything.

Silly question... how do we know it's actually the Stormfather? It's an entity that told Galivar it's the Stormfather and showed him visions. That's all we have to go off of. It's from Galivar's POV and all we know is what he knows or thinks he knows.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Black lotus neck chain :bustem:

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Silly question... how do we know it's actually the Stormfather? It's an entity that told Galivar it's the Stormfather and showed him visions. That's all we have to go off of. It's from Galivar's POV and all we know is what he knows or thinks he knows.

Ive seen a theory doing the rounds that it’s ishar, since he shows visions without there being a storm, knows when a Herald dies, and could be interested in getting someone to replace him in the Oathpact, while not wanting him to surrender immediately.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

eke out posted:

It's a big deal for two main reasons I can see. First, we know he's willing to lie, and lie about the Big Important Stuff. This calls into question everything he ever told Dalinar, especially before they bonded. And second, it means the Stormfather has an agenda of his own and he's willing to go to lengths we didn't know he was capable of to see it done. The implications of the Stormfather not being trustworthy are pretty vast.

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

That's not a silly question at all! I had the exact same thought. He doesn't act at all like the Stormfather does anywhere else, and he manifests physically, which the Stormfather never has done. It's weird.

Tunzie posted:

Ive seen a theory doing the rounds that it’s ishar, since he shows visions without there being a storm, knows when a Herald dies, and could be interested in getting someone to replace him in the Oathpact, while not wanting him to surrender immediately.
Yeah, maybe. The points against I can think are: he does the "my face turns into the eternal storm" trick, and... we knew Gavilar got the visions before now. What I can't remember, and it's suddenly important: how do we know that? Does the Stormfather say he sent them specifically?

Major point in its favor, though, it's so goddamn weird that the Stormfather is like "well I'm never talking to your family ever again" and then... changes his mind?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

KS is over!

185,328 backers pledged $41,752,493

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Oof, I knew it was coming, but it still stings getting the “Hey, did you know they just charged you $600.00?” email from my bank.

No doubt it’s going to be worth it, especially after hearing about the Nightblood letter opener for one of the swag boxes today.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

especially after hearing about the Nightblood letter opener for one of the swag boxes today.

....but then you're letters will just evaporate in black smoke? I guess use it to open bills and spam

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

About 110k hard cover sales

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

M_Gargantua posted:

I guess use it to open bills and spam

I don’t think it would work as well as you’d hope. My electricity company has forgotten how to send me bills. They still know how to send forgotten payment notices, though.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I just realized these books aren’t eligible for the NYT best seller list

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Grundulum posted:

I don’t think it would work as well as you’d hope. My electricity company has forgotten how to send me bills. They still know how to send forgotten payment notices, though.

The answer here is also Nightblood :black101:

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Calidus posted:

Does any fantasy reader care about those? I figured it only mattered for some lovely ghostwritten politicians book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Calidus posted:

Why not? While the NYT list has an unknown weighting for sales source, the sales do still count. Its only known that you can't make the list with single source sales only.