Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Sevens felt satisfying and the last 5 minutes had me smiling hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, has there been any update on the Sevens dub recently?

Anyway, it’d be nice if Go Rush got picked up by some other official source but I imagine someone will fansub it at the very least

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I want to say. I appreciate the thread subtitle referencing a relatively early fight from two series ago.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It's one of the best duels in the series.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget, when did that duel happen again and what was the context for it (I’m assuming it was something from Arc V)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 31, 2022

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Arc V, I wanna say during the brackets of the tournament in the second half of the first year, so like late 30s early 40s.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MorningMoon posted:

Arc V, I wanna say during the brackets of the tournament in the second half of the first year, so like late 30s early 40s.

Ah yeah, I vaguely remember now

On another note, I’ve only ever watched 5Ds subbed so out of curiosity how much did 4Kids have to water down the Dark Signers arc as the original had stuff like murder, psychological torture, and a guy getting devoured by a giant hellbeast?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Larryb posted:

I forget, when did that duel happen again and what was the context for it (I’m assuming it was something from Arc V)?

Shun vs. Sora in Arc-V, one of the best duels in the entire franchise.

AlternateNu posted:

I want to say. I appreciate the thread subtitle referencing a relatively early fight from two series ago.

I'm working on a new thread/new OP since this thread is so old and Baal doesn't post here anymore and I'm honestly tempted to keep the subtitle.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Larryb posted:

Ah yeah, I vaguely remember now

On another note, I’ve only ever watched 5Ds subbed so out of curiosity how much did 4Kids have to water down the Dark Signers arc as the original had stuff like murder, psychological torture, and a guy getting devoured by a giant hellbeast?

I know a lot of murders got edited away as being sent to the shadow realm. Carly was blasted out of a window and fell into a nebulous purple fog.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pyroi posted:

I know a lot of murders got edited away as being sent to the shadow realm. Carly was blasted out of a window and fell into a nebulous purple fog.

What about Divine electrocuting Misty’s brother to death and then himself later being eaten by her earthbound god?

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Larryb posted:

What about Divine electrocuting Misty’s brother to death and then himself later being eaten by her earthbound god?

Well, her brother was disappeared and sent to a secret location with "constantly changing coordinates", and Divine was also disappeared to an unknown location by the Earthbound Immortal. You know how unknown locations are.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

That’s about what I figured honestly (though I hear the VRAINS dub is slightly more faithful to the source than a lot of their other ones were at least)

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Another thing about the 5D's dub is that Ark Cradle just....didn't loving happen! And neither did Team Taiyo vs. Team 5D's, the most overrated duel in the franchise, fight me.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

MJeff posted:

Team Taiyo vs. Team 5D's, the most overrated duel in the franchise, fight me.

"fun" fact: they dedicated five whole episodes to this duel. that's as long as the ceremonial duel at the end of DM, including an episode of setup for both

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Skeleton Mom posted:

"fun" fact: they dedicated five whole episodes to this duel. that's as long as the ceremonial duel at the end of DM, including an episode of setup for both

This is, in a nutshell, why the WRGP is a bad idea and shouldnt have been attempted. Even the least bad duel of the tournament is an ugly, unwieldy five episode goliath.

Yusei vs. Z-ONE is what. Three episodes?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Team Taiyo is the one with they spend most of the duel stalling so they can meet their boss monster's insane summoning conditions, right? And then Yusei blows it up in a single turn? I don't remember it being 5 episodes, how is that even possible?

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

the sevens finale is two episodes containing two duels (one occurring in its entirety during the final battle phase of the other one), both of which are impactful and memorable, and there's a whole half episode on each side of them for setup and resolution. maybe it's just a sign I'm getting old, but i really appreciate when anime is written tightly & doesn't waste my time

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I like how it takes inspiration from actual card game tournaments. The budget players are forced to play a cheesy stall strat because their individual cards are so weak, and everyone hates that. But when it turns out their plan is to summon the jankiest boss monster of all time people rally to their side. I also like how Team 5Ds realize what they're trying to do just before it happens

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Skeleton Mom posted:

btw just to be super duper clear and further support skeleton mom's point, the 5-part duels in DM (I wanna say there was four?) were only that long because the anime ran simultaneously with the manga so the anime had to be padded out to truly stupid lengths sometimes. No duel ever needs to be 5 episodes, but somehow like EVERY duel in the WRGP was.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Speaking as someone who hadn't seen jack poo poo past the first third of the Orichalcos arc until very recently I found the truncated duels in "season 1" or whatever of GX to be a little underwhelming. Not saying I need them all to be 5-6 episodes like the Duelist Kingdom and Battle City finals or anything but I wouldn't be upset if some of the more important duels got 3 episodes, just to give them a bit of time to breathe. I've felt pacing issues from time to time watching GX, where things feel like they're moving unnaturally fast in order to cram a duel into 1 episode fewer than it might have originally been scripted for.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Rugby deck???

RUGBY DECK!!!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Sevens final duel only being 1 episode long was lame tbh.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The Sevens final duel only being 1 episode long was lame tbh.

It was a culmination of all the duels where Luke whomps Yuga and finally we get to see them at their best and the rest of the episode just celebrating all the weird characters. I'll gladly take that over a long duel that drags out and doesn't conclude properly.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Final duels should be minimum 2 episodes long. Maximum 3 episodes.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On that note, did the pandemic (and/or some other behind the scenes issue) have something to do with Sevens being shorter than the average YGO series or was that pretty much always their intent going into it?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Larryb posted:

On that note, did the pandemic (and/or some other behind the scenes issue) have something to do with Sevens being shorter than the average YGO series or was that pretty much always their intent going into it?

VRAINS had bad ratings and the first year of VRAINS sets had extremely low sales. VRAINS was so unpopular that it didn't even get a manga adaptation and they went straight to Structures instead.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vandar posted:

VRAINS had bad ratings and the first year of VRAINS sets had extremely low sales. VRAINS was so unpopular that it didn't even get a manga adaptation and they went straight to Structures instead.

Speaking of, how’d Sevens do in terms of ratings?

Also I might have asked this before but has the Sevens manga been translated and if so how is it?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Final duels should be minimum 2 episodes long. Maximum 3 episodes.

Nah. Fixating on length is dumb. I'd rather have duels that have meaningful emotional stakes rather than lasting longer than they need to, and Yuga vs Luke was that in basically every way I needed it to be. Plus if you want to be pedantic the final duel really was two episodes long, Yuga vs Otes, it just had a break in the middle.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It was all it needed to be, but it coulda been more!

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, how’d Sevens do in terms of ratings?

Also I might have asked this before but has the Sevens manga been translated and if so how is it?

I'm not sure exactly how well Sevens did but it's done well enough that it looks like they're staying the course for Go Rush and Rush Duels as a whole.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

That's where Zushin comes from? I'm looking at the card now, and it's GX-era trash. 5 episodes sounds like about enough time to actually summon it.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I liked that it was really short and both players were playing scuffed decks with minimal special effects.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

If it was all it needed to be, then it logically didn't need to be more.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

If shows always only ever aimed for what they 'needed' to be then we wouldn't really have any particularly stand out shows or episodes or characters would we?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I didn't watch VRAINS. Should I watch VRAINS? Was it bad or was it just the end of Arc-V making everyone gently caress off from the anime?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Blockhouse posted:

I didn't watch VRAINS. Should I watch VRAINS? Was it bad or was it just the end of Arc-V making everyone gently caress off from the anime?

If you feel like it? It wasn't terrible like Zexal or Arc-V, but it wasn't good either. Just a very middling show.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
It's the one Yu-Gi-Oh season you can point to and go 'this needed some filler', which is impressive in a way.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

You could completely excise the card game aspect from vrains and nothing would change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Rigged Death Trap posted:

You could completely excise the card game aspect from vrains and nothing would change.

Nothing except the enormous amount of free airtime from no longer having to cram the OCG into the show.