Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Gonzo McFee posted:

Let me powerbomb the queen
No get the Dudley Boyz to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Let's see prince charles do a rick flair woo and slash his head open with a razor blade. Then he has to do a ladder match against 3 random pensioners to get the crown if he wants to be king.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Can't believe my sister is absolutely clueless that variable rate electricity is going up mega tomorrow.
I reminded her this evening to read her meters and try to submit the reading (and photo it) and if she can't submit it tonight then asap tomorrow or Saturday.
She's like "Why?" "What's it about?"
She doesn't even know if she's on a fixed or variable rate. (Or even how to check).
:smdh:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Let's see prince charles do a rick flair woo and slash his head open with a razor blade. Then he has to do a ladder match against 3 random pensioners to get the crown if he wants to be king.
It's better than the current system.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Looks like my MP has 17K left out of her office budget, I should ask if she'll give me it. You never know, she's a Lib Dem

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Send a stamped addressed envelope to her office with an empty skills wallet in it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think you could definitely get a lib dem with a 419 scam if you claimed to be a member of the orcadian anticommunist resistance looking to finance their campaign.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Can't believe my sister is absolutely clueless that variable rate electricity is going up mega tomorrow.
I think I've said before but I think there'll be 3 or 4 waves of people noticing. Wave 1 is the people who pay attention to the news, who currently know. Wave 2 is people who pay attention to their bank statements who will notice their direct debits have doubled, which will slowly happen over the summer.

Wave 3 will hit in about October when people on key meters can't afford to keep their homes going, and the 4th and final wave (the one where it pierces the middle class consciousness) will be when the weather gets bad and we get a bunch of articles about 'nice' familes saying the winter bills drained their account and now they can't afford xmas.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 31, 2022

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
There's probably a zeroth wave of people with PV panels and smart meters who feed realtime data into multiple dataviz apps and who time all their charging perfectly to coincide with the best rates, they probably started making contingency plans the second Russian troops were mobilised to the Ukrainian border

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I still think it's weird and daft my mother doesn't spend any money on insulation or a PV install rather than knocking holes in the house and constantly renovating.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I think I've said before but I think there'll be 3 or 4 waves of people noticing. Wave 1 is the people who pay attention to the news, who currently know. Wave 2 is people who pay attention to their bank statements who will notice their direct debits have doubled, which will slowly happen over the summer.

Wave 3 will hit in about October when people on key meters can't afford to keep their homes going, and the 4th and final wave (the one where it pierces the middle class consciousness) will be when the weather gets bad and we get a bunch of articles about 'nice' familes saying the winter bills drained their account and now they can't afford xmas.

Bit hard not to notice when its front page news on most of the papers tbf.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

open plan sounds great but there’s a reason why all these poorly insulated victorian houses have tiny rooms

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
My poorly insulated victorian house has larger rooms than many newbuilds :smug:

Wait, not :smug:, :shepspends:

It's also completely the wrong orientation for the old style PVs, but apparently the newer ones are much better with that.

serious gaylord posted:

Bit hard not to notice when its front page news on most of the papers tbf.
Most people, me included, only skim the headlines in the shop at lunch or half-listen to someone on the tv skimming the headlines.

Something about Will Self smacking Kid Rock outside a Gala Bingo.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jel Shaker posted:

open plan sounds great but there’s a reason why all these poorly insulated victorian houses have tiny rooms

It's perfectly fine if the outer fabric of the building is well-insulated, and your ventilation will be way better. Too many people on these cursed islands still in tiny drafty rooms, huddled around fires and sucking in a straight 1:1 mix of room air:carbon monoxide

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Bit of a weird one today, went to get my meter reading, and unless I've lost my mind, my meter has disappeared. I don't have a smart meter, and now there's just a gap in the meters (marked with my flat number) where my meter used to be. Guess I'll need to call my supplier in the morning.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I read in my village newsletter that we're having a great British bunt off for the jubilee with most bunted home winning a prize. Also, completely unrelated, the lady that writes the newsletter has bunting for sale.

- £2.50 for plastic triangular bunting (7m & 25 flags)

- £4.00 for polyester rectangular flags (9m & 30 flags)

https://cunting.bigcartel.com/products

OwlFancier posted:

I still think it's weird and daft my mother doesn't spend any money on insulation or a PV install rather than knocking holes in the house and constantly renovating.

I have wanted solar panels for years but my bloody neighbour's leylandii do a sterling job of blocking the sun.

It's fortunate that my house is very warm in winter (it's horrible during a heatwave) but the windows are beginning to let draughts in. I desperately need to replace the worst of them before next winter, otherwise it'll be back to sticking plastic over the glass in an attempt to stop the heat leaking out.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Bobby Deluxe posted:

we get a bunch of articles about 'nice' familes saying the winter bills drained their account and now they can't afford xmas.
These will be published alongside other articles gently reprimanding millennials for not getting out and spending more now that COVID is over

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Lady Demelza posted:

https://cunting.bigcartel.com/products

I have wanted solar panels for years but my bloody neighbour's leylandii do a sterling job of blocking the sun.

It's fortunate that my house is very warm in winter (it's horrible during a heatwave) but the windows are beginning to let draughts in. I desperately need to replace the worst of them before next winter, otherwise it'll be back to sticking plastic over the glass in an attempt to stop the heat leaking out.

I'm planning on getting secondary glazing. I only have two windows. Something like this. https://www.theplasticpeople.co.uk/magnetglaze-double-glazing-kit/

I already have bug screens fitted with midge mesh that are the same with the magnetic tape. (Living just about 20m from the river, the midges in summer are horrendous.)
I need to change the handles on my windows first though to low-profile so I'm intimidated by that - what if I take the old ones off and can't fit new ones and can't close my windows! What do I even order!
:shockprobeaargh:

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

I did this on the remaining single glazed windows on one side of the house. It works OK, but if the windows themselves let air in when it's windy, they can rattle like hell. Also if your window frame isn't coplanar, it might not grip properly. I had to remove some of the trim and plane it down to make it work correctly.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

BigHandsVince posted:

I did this on the remaining single glazed windows on one side of the house. It works OK, but if the windows themselves let air in when it's windy, they can rattle like hell. Also if your window frame isn't coplanar, it might not grip properly. I had to remove some of the trim and plane it down to make it work correctly.

Fortunately, my windows are newish (maybe 10 years or so - before I moved in the whole block was done some years ago), aluminium (or UPVC I need to double check!) window sets, and already double glazed, so I don't have that worry. I already have the bug screens which are the same design so the system should work fine.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 31, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I made a crappy bug screen for my bedroom window the other year and it worked well and being able to just leave the window open all summer was very nice without getting many bees and other poo poo coming in, somehow though it has acquired a fist sized hole, presumably from some sort of organized action by the bees to get into my bedroom, and also it is awkward to get in and out which I need to do if i want to open the window.

This year I would like, ideally, to make a replacement that has hinged doors, but I am hampered by the fact the window itself is not square. While I would be tempted to try and make some sort of insane painting stretcher contraption this is not a good idea, I think, for something that needs doors that line up.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 31, 2022

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, I'm gonna try whipping up some manner of bug screen for my window if this summer's going to be as hot as last year. Shite trying to sleep with the window closed despite it feeling like a furnace because I don't also want palm-sized moths flying in.

Thinking basically just a window-sized picture frame construction with some of that fine mesh you buy by the meter in B&Q in it.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

In Egypt they just make a snug fitting wooden frame and staple bug mesh over it.
I thought about doing that, but I'm the world's worst DIYer so figure I'll pay professionals to do it properly.

NB if you have kittens or young cats, they'll rip holes in it very quickly as they practise climbing up it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

somehow though it has acquired a fist sized hole

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

palm-sized moths flying in
What types of godforsaken pokemon-rear end bugs do you all have?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Just got a message from my sister: "We're hosed". (Re her being clueless that anything was happening to electricity and gas charges today).

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I have a couple of bug nets for my skylights, but I'm in an attic room that retains every ounce of heat that it can. So I will definitely be making good use of my aircon again this year which honestly wasn't even a choice, either I committed to buying one or spent all summer sleeping downstairs, or just died of heatstroke overnight I guess.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

In Egypt they just make a snug fitting wooden frame and staple bug mesh over it.
I thought about doing that, but I'm the world's worst DIYer so figure I'll pay professionals to do it properly.

NB if you have kittens or young cats, they'll rip holes in it very quickly as they practise climbing up it.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Thinking basically just a window-sized picture frame construction with some of that fine mesh you buy by the meter in B&Q in it.

Yeah that's what I built and it works OK but that also means I have to lift a window sized frame out every time I want to shut the window to go outside.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Government went from 'conversion therapy ban, we promise' to 'actually no ban after all lol' to 'actually actually we're banning it but it won't cover trans people' in the space of about two hours, jesus christ.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I need to change the handles on my windows first though to low-profile so I'm intimidated by that - what if I take the old ones off and can't fit new ones and can't close my windows! What do I even order!

It's really simple. Your window probably has a "Euro" style lock. All you typically need to know for the handles is the "centres", that is the distance from centre of fixing hole to centre of fixing hole.

Feel free to send me a photo of your window/handles and I'll help you figure out what you need, if you like.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

WhatEvil posted:

It's really simple. Your window probably has a "Euro" style lock. All you typically need to know for the handles is the "centres", that is the distance from centre of fixing hole to centre of fixing hole.

Feel free to send me a photo of your window/handles and I'll help you figure out what you need, if you like.

That would be great, thanks!
Will sort it out tomorrow at some point!

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Apraxin posted:

Government went from 'conversion therapy ban, we promise' to 'actually no ban after all lol' to 'actually actually we're banning it but it won't cover trans people' in the space of about two hours, jesus christ.

There seems to be a significant divide between MPs from the last couple of GEs and the rest of the cunts in the Tory party.
The more recent MPs seem to be - at least - vaguely aware of the kind of issues that regular people care about, while the more established MPs' domains of give-a-poo poo extend merely as far as whatever either Alexander de Pfeffel or Paul Dacre decide to give a poo poo about.

They're still cunts but, alarmingly, they're better than a fair few Labour MPs on some social issues.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
erm excuse me haven't you heard about how Labour is ~On Your Side~

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

kingturnip posted:

They're still cunts but, alarmingly, they're better than a fair few Labour MPs on some social issues.
There's a good illustration of the split here, but at least it passed in this case.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

BigHandsVince posted:

Do things like these not exist in the UK?
https://www.jumbo-shop.de/dichtunge...erdichtung.html

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Mano posted:

Do things like these not exist in the UK?
https://www.jumbo-shop.de/dichtunge...erdichtung.html

Yes. But my experience of that is it peels off leaving a nasty sticky residue which is a huge pain to clean off (when leaving a rental) requiring copious applications of WD40, nail varnish remover, baby oil, scrapers etc, and doesn't last round the window more than a couple of weeks. And doesn't work very well either.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

How nasty are things likely to get when winter rolls around and huge swathes of the country can't afford to heat their poorly insulated homes?

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Yes. But my experience of that is it peels off leaving a nasty sticky residue which is a huge pain to clean off (when leaving a rental) requiring copious applications of WD40, nail varnish remover, baby oil, scrapers etc, and doesn't last round the window more than a couple of weeks. And doesn't work very well either.

aah. Around here those come with the windows so you might have to replace them sometime. Also mine always stuck for multiple years. I'm in the current flat for >5y and certainly haven't switched them.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

There's a good illustration of the split here, but at least it passed in this case.

I'm not sure how good an illustration that is when the likes of Mercer, Mordaunt and notorious Boris clone Michael Fabricant were all among the Ayes.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Necrothatcher posted:

How nasty are things likely to get when winter rolls around and huge swathes of the country can't afford to heat their poorly insulated homes?
The people most likely to die are the very old, the immunocompromised/suppressed, BAME seniors, people with heart and lung problems.

We had a trial run of how much the government will give a poo poo :smith:

The only protests will be Piers Corbyn and David Icke chanting "you can't make me wear a sweater."

e: ^^^ It separates the ones with a human face somewhere (even if it's in their desk drawer and they stole it from a mortuary) from the Jacobs Rees Moggs. Not a huge achievement, but nonetheless lol at Tim Farron the lone dissenting Lib Dem

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Apr 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Necrothatcher posted:

Big demographic shift away from boomers on state pensions.