Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ARTPUP
Jun 7, 2013

I'll just leave this here... (still holding!)

Bought another 2800 shares of Surgalign Holdings (SRGA) @ .33

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
drat SPY wtf.

Jows
May 8, 2002

I finally opened a taxable account with fidelity. And they keep wanting to be a responsible brokerage and not let me trade options or penny stocks without approval. As if. &Goon is trading for multiple pennies! MULTIPLE!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Space Fish posted:

Highlights from yesterday's $GOON earnings call...

-Emphasis on European markets (especially Germany, interested in Scandinavia) on the basis of their ability to take on premium pricing, including service plans
-Sales agreement with Vietnam for at least 40 units is dependent on FDA approval (aha!)
-More clinical studies/trials in USA, Europe, and China, allowing prospective customers to talk directly to research heads about MRI vs TAEUS comparisons
-No foreseen supply chain issues since 2021 was spent buying components
-Net loss for 2021 was $11.2 million or $0.28 per share, compared with a net loss for 2020 of $11.7 million or $0.63 per share
-"another clinical sales opportunity exists, targeting endocrinologists who are seeking practical diagnostic tools to assess liver fat and identify patients with NAFLD, which occurs in 80% to 90% of obese adults and in 30% to 50% of patients with Type 2 diabetes"
-Showing off at 10 clinical conferences this year, incuding booth at the French Society of Diabetology Conference last week

Still an unpredictable waiting game before they can actually sell their liver ultrasound scanners, but everything they say gives me enough confidence to cling, cling to my woeful bags.

Keep digging fda approval is down there somewhere!

Crys into monthly statements

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Elephanthead posted:

Keep digging fda approval is down there somewhere!

Crys into monthly statements

I have become ok with losing my entire investment. I will grip my shares into the ages.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

GME filed an 8-K to authorize a larger split and the superstonkers are overjoyed.

don't most people have access to fractional ownership by now? if so, splits are less valuable than they used to be.

also won't adding to the pool of available "real" shares make it less likely they can DRS the entire float and trigger their ultimate short squeeze?

all I see is "they're issuing a share dividend, not a split, which means they can recall all the 'real' shares and expose all the financial crime that's suppressing the price" but given how completely pants on head bonkers superstonkers are, that cannot be right.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
GME's leadership has gone full in on market meme-ing.

There's no reason stock splits should cause major prices changes in 2022. But hey, $TSLA announced one like a week or two ago and their market cap went up by like ~$100B the next day. Its not like rational investors actually think there is $100B in cash held by potential new investors who can't currently afford a single share.

edit: actually I was thinking of AMC leadership, but GME also to a slightly lesser degree

drk fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 1, 2022

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Fate Accomplice posted:

GME filed an 8-K to authorize a larger split and the superstonkers are overjoyed.

don't most people have access to fractional ownership by now? if so, splits are less valuable than they used to be.

also won't adding to the pool of available "real" shares make it less likely they can DRS the entire float and trigger their ultimate short squeeze?

all I see is "they're issuing a share dividend, not a split, which means they can recall all the 'real' shares and expose all the financial crime that's suppressing the price" but given how completely pants on head bonkers superstonkers are, that cannot be right.

At least with Etrade they won't let me buy fractions of a share. The only reason this happens with my holdings is from DRIPs

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Another use of splits is to make it easier for stock compensation, which is why Amazon is doing it. So in TYOOL 2022 it still has a use. Plus any announcement makes the stock soar, so I for one welcome the splits. Also It'd be just as easy to "DRS the float" after a split, in that it'll likely not happen. We're only at like 25% of the float DRS'd right now, and I don't see it accelerating but rather slowing down

drk
Jan 16, 2005

DoubleT2172 posted:

Also It'd be just as easy to "DRS the float" after a split, in that it'll likely not happen.

Isn't that way overstating the likelihood? To get 100% of the float directly registered would require every mutual fund and ETF holding the stock to dump it to reddit bagholders, right?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Aren’t splits also making it easier for the meme crowd to buy/sell options? I’ve definitely seen the excitement and talk of being able to now buy/sell options after google and amazon stock splits

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

DoubleT2172 posted:

Another use of splits is to make it easier for stock compensation, which is why Amazon is doing it. So in TYOOL 2022 it still has a use. Plus any announcement makes the stock soar, so I for one welcome the splits. Also It'd be just as easy to "DRS the float" after a split, in that it'll likely not happen. We're only at like 25% of the float DRS'd right now, and I don't see it accelerating but rather slowing down

Wow, 25% sure does seem like a lot. How do you know it is that much?

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

DapperDraculaDeer posted:

Wow, 25% sure does seem like a lot. How do you know it is that much?

Because in their last earnings a few weeks ago they released that ~10 million shares are DRS'd and the float is ~40 million

Jows
May 8, 2002

So is AMC going to announce a split next?

MayakovskyMarmite
Dec 5, 2009
What is the DRS percentage like on a regular stock? I know zero about DRS, but DTCC is THE central clearinghouse for book ownership and I have to think there is a big chunk there for all publicly traded companies. If it is like other types of securities, literally everything is on the books of DTCC ultimately. Just a bunch of heavily regulated banks and custodians in between.

What is it that they are evening trying to accomplish? Aren't there brokerages that let you keep the stock from being lent out? The amount of confidence some people have about things they just fundamentally do not understand is scary sometimes.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Cacafuego posted:

Aren’t splits also making it easier for the meme crowd to buy/sell options? I’ve definitely seen the excitement and talk of being able to now buy/sell options after google and amazon stock splits

matt levin has been bring this up in his newsletter and that's his take on it. you can get fractional shares, but no one offers fractional options

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

We don't know what the percentage of shares is for a normal stock because no one really cares. Most of the GME crowd is fixated on things that data doesn't really exist on because it hasn't been relevant to, well, anything until now.

For example: number of DRS'd shares, comprehensive list of authorized participants for every etf ever, the exact certificate numbers for every single share held by every single brokerage, who is responsible for every trade made in SPY in a month broken down by individual, etc.

E: they're now confusing the par value of a share with the market value which should show how deeply stupid they are

ranbo das fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Apr 1, 2022

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

ARTPUP posted:

Bought another 2800 shares of Surgalign Holdings (SRGA) @ .33

I have a limit buy lined up for 1000 shares at $0.29, trying to keep my cost basis under $0.30. anything over $0.31 is too rich for my blood :colbert:

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Number go up

But will it go up enough to help me pay off all the taxes I owe this month??? :negative:

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I sold some positions this morning to free up what I owe in taxes. Couldn't put it off any longer. :sigh:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
All these suckers who "owe taxes" clearly didn't get table-sixed hard enough

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Someone tell me more about Puerto Rico and not having to pay capital gains

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Baddog posted:

Someone tell me more about Puerto Rico and not having to pay capital gains

Yeah. You can live there and not pay cap gains and somehow have shittier infra than the US proper. Also, you live in Peurto Rico, isolated from the rest of the world and waiting to be gobbled up by hurricanes.

Ima file that under, 'not worth it'

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
My neighbors have to live in PR for 190 days per year in order to avoid some onslaught of taxes, and they hate it. They live in absolute, pinnacle luxury with live-in staff catering to their every need, and they are ready to come home by day 30 every year.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
I cant imagine living somewhere I hated over half the year just to spite the government. Capital gains taxes aren't even that high and maintaining an extra property with a full staff isnt free.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Imagine being so rich that you have multiple homes, and live in with live-in servants just so you don't have to pay capital gains tax.

You would have to be an enormous piece of poo poo.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

All these suckers who "owe taxes" clearly didn't get table-sixed hard enough

Stupid Feds capping the amount of Capital Losses you can write-off each year at $3000

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Subvisual Haze posted:

Stupid Feds capping the amount of Capital Losses you can write-off each year at $3000

This is such a joke too. Unlimited taxes on your gains but can only claim losing $3k/year! We need to at least 10x those numbers for the $Goon bagholders

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Puerto Rico is in the caribbean tho, nice beaches, can even get amazon prime. Y'all are acting like its below 3rd world or something, drat.

What if I only own one house and have no servants, would it be ok to move there then?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

No Puerto Rico is a hell hole

There's a reason why everyone goes to Hawaii instead

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Hadlock posted:

No Puerto Rico is a hell hole

There's a reason why everyone goes to Hawaii instead

Income tax in hawaii sucks. Property tax seems low though, so I guess if you are hanging up the trading spurs....

drk posted:

Capital gains taxes aren't even that high

But this is the short term capital gains thread

java
May 7, 2005

lmao Musk buying 9% of Twitter. Enjoy that.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USKD3vPD6ZA
"modern" take on the classic pick stocks at random chance thing

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Baddog posted:

But this is the short term capital gains thread

Granted, but if you are literally setting up a new tropical island estate on advice of your tax attorney, its probably not because you have sick daytrading gains on robinhood

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I have no idea how the US tax system works but could you not do all your trading through a company domiciled in a lovely state with low taxes while you actually live someplace nice?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If you gave up your us citizenship status you could establish residency in the British virgin islands they have no capital gains tax. Dunno if day trading would count as income which is up to 22%. I'm no tax lawyer though. The BVIs are gorgeous and way better than Puerto Rico by a us statute mile

I think the BVIs have a very low residency requirement, like, a PO box

Not to be confused with the american virgin islands, which area crime infested backwater hell hole too

My buddy lives in Colombia now and established his residency in one of the Dakotas for tax purposes, apparently the residency is one night in a hotel room and a mail forwarding service and their tax rate is low

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Not to be confused with the american virgin islands, which area crime infested backwater hell hole too

Was just in St croix with friends with family that lives there. Not sure where you’re getting the idea that the USVI are crime infested backwater hell holes? Island was beautiful and people were friendly. It has suffered much since cat 5 hurricane Maria or Irma (forget which) and then COVID destroying tourism, but it’s picking back up again.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Hadlock posted:

If you gave up your us citizenship status you could establish residency in the British virgin islands they have no capital gains tax. Dunno if day trading would count as income which is up to 22%. I'm no tax lawyer though. The BVIs are gorgeous and way better than Puerto Rico by a us statute mile

I think the BVIs have a very low residency requirement, like, a PO box

My buddy lives in Colombia now and established his residency in one of the Dakotas for tax purposes, apparently the residency is one night in a hotel room and a mail forwarding service and their tax rate is low

South Dakota has no state income tax and has worked very hard to be an attractive financial haven, especially for letting people set up self-settled indefinite private trusts to further dodge taxes with.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

gay picnic defence posted:

I have no idea how the US tax system works but could you not do all your trading through a company domiciled in a lovely state with low taxes while you actually live someplace nice?

Nope. State income taxes go off your domicile. Sure, you have a Nevada LLC or whatever but its income passes through to you, New Jersey resident, and New Jersey wants its cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Cacafuego posted:

Was just in St croix with friends with family that lives there. Not sure where you’re getting the idea that the USVI are crime infested backwater hell holes? Island was beautiful and people were friendly. It has suffered much since cat 5 hurricane Maria or Irma (forget which) and then COVID destroying tourism, but it’s picking back up again.

It has incredibly high crime rates, including St. Croix having one of the highest homicide rate of anywhere in the world, higher than any country.

ranbo das fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Apr 5, 2022