Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

There are multiple fast good restaurants here that always have huge drive-through lines backed up into the street. I hear drivers complain about the worst one all the time, but I'd never seen it personally until the other day. Everyone in the line had politely pulled over into the bike lane to let car traffic by...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Just parking and ordering inside is so much faster than waiting in a crowded drive thru.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

what is the collective national psychosis around chick-fil-a anyway? all the randos i know go loving rabid for it like it has a vise grip on their reward pathways

i'm doubly confused because if you really want to do the fast food fried chicken thing it seems to me like popeyes is noticeably better in every way. maybe you have to be raised in chick fila territory, or, maybe other people are really just looking for something very different in their fried chicken, idk

Gabagool
Jul 20, 2020

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Just parking and ordering inside is so much faster than waiting in a crowded drive thru.
The Starbucks around here don't even have the cafes open anymore, just the drive thru lane. They also closed many of the locations that don't have drive thrus. Dunkin' better, anyway.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

AnimeIsTrash posted:

but then you have to leave your car, and worse, walk

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
https://youtu.be/c2rI-5ZFW1E

Good video, dude doing his best to explain the internal costs of car ownership

Spoiler, cars suck

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Gabagool posted:

The Starbucks around here don't even have the cafes open anymore, just the drive thru lane. They also closed many of the locations that don't have drive thrus. Dunkin' better, anyway.

Yeah a lot of dining rooms haven't reopened. Why maintain your dining room when you could use public space and let the city worry about it?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Fat, sugar, salt, and prejudice

I've never had it, but my gay, polyamorous friend from Florida swears by it.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I took my car in for maintenance and to repair a tire. Mechanic said the valve cover gasket should be replaced, I say ok, he does it. Now my car smells like burning oil all the time despite no leaks or smoke. I take it back, he can't smell anything because of course he can't, he's constantly immersed in oil. Went all the way across town for this and came back with no result. Now that's just gonna be broken forever I guess, no more fresh air through the blower at a stop.

Sure would be nice I wasn't responsible for maintaining this large expensive piece of complex machinery, and also constantly worry if people are ok with where I had to leave it, or if someone is ripping parts off of it or rooting around inside. If only instead of everyone having to keep track of their personal small engine, we all could just use a few big engines who have highly trained people looking after its maintenance and with extra vehicles to put out in case that one is broken.

Norton posted:

i thought the entire point of fast food was that it's fast. that's why people put up with the bad food right? when you are crunched for time at your lovely job and have 15 minutes for lunch your options are limited. that makes sense to me. so who are these psychos waiting hours for some of the lowest quality food available? is this some sort of brand worship thing?

They don't know how to cook because they were raised on take out. Not only is it a huge dopamine hit, it was probably used growing up explicitly as reward.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Cup Runneth Over posted:

but then you have to leave your car, and worse, walk

just drive right into the restaurant

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

bi crimes posted:

car attempted murdering a local here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OksW6L4P1ds

the comments on social media are all bloodthirsty and carbrained as usual

biking during the day is dangerous enough, I dunno how you'd ride at night without a 360 strobe light or something. this guy must have been new to the US

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/BlockClubCHI/status/1509176139692097539

Finally, some good news in this thread

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

biking during the day is dangerous enough, I dunno how you'd ride at night without a 360 strobe light or something. this guy must have been new to the US

he had lights on the bike, and apparently (according to some people claiming to be at the scene on Reddit) the car had been tailing him closely for a while before deciding to run him over

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

bi crimes posted:

he had lights on the bike, and apparently (according to some people claiming to be at the scene on Reddit) the car had been tailing him closely for a while before deciding to run him over

Well ok that's just homicide then.

Cyclists in the US think they are seen as equal to cars but that mindset will only get you hurt. Cars want to hurt and destroy you every chance they get, and you have to ride w that in mind--or pay the price.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Near as I can tell, the argument here is that his business was entirely dependent on cars parking in the previously unprotected bike lane? And even then it'd be like 6 cars at most shared between 4 businesses?

Like the streetfront of his shop is literally a big ramp that you wouldn't be allowed to park in front of anyway (not that that would stop anybody or it would be enforced)

edit - the bike shop 4 doors down is probably thriving tho!

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

The empty parking lot in the background

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
a local business said it was shutting down recently because parking was being replaced by bike lanes

its own customer base pointed out the grand total of 4 on street carparks near the shop that would be affected are never available anyway, and there's a load of free parking in the nearby supermarket carpark for people shopping on that particular street

business then says it's not to do with parking it's because there's now nowhere for trucks to unload products for them

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

“In the late ’70s, we were dodging bullets to get in. It was a different neighborhood,” Gillman said. “But there was parking.”

“Please find parking for us,” Gillman said. “That’s all.”

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Twitter replies point out there is both a Lowe's and Home Depot within 2 miles.

But yeah it's probably the loss of 4 parking spots out front.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

he was asking for it,

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

Near as I can tell, the argument here is that his business was entirely dependent on cars parking in the previously unprotected bike lane? And even then it'd be like 6 cars at most shared between 4 businesses?

Like the streetfront of his shop is literally a big ramp that you wouldn't be allowed to park in front of anyway (not that that would stop anybody or it would be enforced)

edit - the bike shop 4 doors down is probably thriving tho!
The bike lane replaced street parking spaces in front of his shop. According to the comments, there's a home depot 1 mile down the road and a lowes about the same distance the other way which seems more relevant to the decline of the business.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

Computer, can you show me the other side of the street

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

indigi posted:

https://twitter.com/RazzberryYams/status/1509227291964018688?s=20&t=_EKIBQQHAhhT_pls0Y5orA

just in case this wasn’t posted here. lol people really hate bikes

this is peak "I'm an avid cyclist, but..."

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Cyclists in the US think they are seen as equal to cars but that mindset will only get you hurt. Cars want to hurt and destroy you every chance they get, and you have to ride w that in mind--or pay the price.

p sure americans are keenly aware of this

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

That Gillman guy has been going out of business for years
https://twitter.com/greenfieldjohn/status/1313127556724465673?s=20&t=yhMRdIrMnyxn5QjUFtZQBw
https://twitter.com/greenfieldjohn/status/1313132392262111235?s=20&t=yhMRdIrMnyxn5QjUFtZQBw

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

leftist heap posted:

p sure americans are keenly aware of this

sounds like that guy sure wasn't. otherwise he wouldn't have been run over by a car. checkmate cyclailures

mystes
May 31, 2006

leftist heap posted:

this is peak "I'm an avid cyclist, but..."
I'm not against car brains but if you sent them all the the firing squad that would probably be really awesome for the environment too.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Nitevision posted:

Computer, can you show me the other side of the street

what do you expect me to do???? walk?? 25 feet across a street???

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's too dangerous to walk across the street with bikes there. They need to take them out and add another traffic lane

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
*stumbles into thread* WELL MAYBE CYCLISTS SHOULDNT PRETEND THE ROAD IS SAFE

mystes
May 31, 2006

Here is what a safe bike lane looks like, for comparison
https://v.redd.it/m2apqbxeppq81/DASH_1080.mp4?source=fallback

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
car dependency and brand dependency go hand in hand because when you're driving a car, the only things you're aware of in terms of businesses and restaurants is the ones with big recognizable signs, which is often what roads and streets are designed to funnel you towards. the whole point of a road is to make you go to applebee's. it's why so many new "walkable neighborhoods!" are just designed to look walkable from your car, and the actual experience of walking around in them sucks rear end. were is the store you're looking for? who knows! all the storefronts are the same anonymous prison-architecture glass-and-steel facade with signs that can only be seen by drivers.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Magic Hate Ball posted:

car dependency and brand dependency go hand in hand because when you're driving a car, the only things you're aware of in terms of businesses and restaurants is the ones with big recognizable signs, which is often what roads and streets are designed to funnel you towards. the whole point of a road is to make you go to applebee's. it's why so many new "walkable neighborhoods!" are just designed to look walkable from your car, and the actual experience of walking around in them sucks rear end. were is the store you're looking for? who knows! all the storefronts are the same anonymous prison-architecture glass-and-steel facade with signs that can only be seen by drivers.

make this the blurb on the dust jacket and you’ll sell a million copies of this book

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

bi crimes posted:

car attempted murdering a local here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OksW6L4P1ds

the comments on social media are all bloodthirsty and carbrained as usual

did he get hit off camera and end up on the hood?

Beyond ReTarTed.
Dec 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

it doesn't make sense how that place is basically unchanged from the 1970s

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
gotta beat the tornado home lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpLL50MY9Zc

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Leave... car?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Dog Case posted:

The empty parking lot in the background

to be completely fair to someone who probably doesn't deserve it, on gearth it's blocked off by a gate. Even so, he's just whining and deflecting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

*stumbles into thread* WELL MAYBE CYCLISTS SHOULDNT PRETEND THE ROAD IS SAFE

This, but unironically