Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

snoremac posted:

Has there been any kind of BotW/Elden Ring map comparison? I feel like BotW would be the bigger of the two despite getting more playtime from ER.

having played both and not even seen elden ring's map in its entirety breath of the wild's map is absolutely 100% bigger, it's also just a lot emptier is all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

he straight up calls him a puppet fucker if you give him the potion meant for nepheli too, are you arguing with me or against me?

against. my take is that Seluvis only started his puppet obsession when Pidia got ahold of him, who then used him to take Dolores and leave the Hold. it’s the neatest explanation

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe
There was a love triangle between Gideon, Delores and Seluvis and Seluvis ended it by turning Delores into a puppet. As a result Seluvis was forced out of the Hold and Gideon sought out someone he thought he could control better.

edit:

Here's part of it... One of Seluvis's favorite puppets...Spirit of a handsome archer who dressed in the style of a man. Called the silent hunter by some...Dolores once belonged to the Roundtable Hold, where she was both a critic and a friend of Gideon the All-Knowing. It was because of her that he and Seluvis went there(sic) separate ways.

Mehrunes fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 1, 2022

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Oxxidation posted:

against. my take is that Seluvis only started his puppet obsession when Pidia got ahold of him, who then used him to take Dolores and leave the Hold. it’s the neatest explanation

i disagree! but i figure we're at an impasse here until miyazaki says in an interview "yeah this is exactly what i meant by this questline" though so we should probably just table it

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Sellen knows about Seluvis interests from their days at the academy together, which presumably predated Seluvis working with Gideon.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

in other news i got a chance to try out the damage over time area of effect attack of the death's poker on some big enemies, having been giving the impression that it might be the new hoarfrost stomp, and was immensely disappointed. i bet you it's incredibly vicious in pvp since the required damage to kill is so much lower but against a big fat erdtree avatar it did less damage with the full burn than two jump attacks

edit: although upon further research it sounds like maybe i should be trying the big explosion attack instead of the damage over time attack...

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 1, 2022

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Right?? I one shot him at like level 80 on my dragon communion/RoB character

Have you tried not being ridiculously overleveled for him?

I killed him in the 60s and with an int build it was still plenty challenging for me.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Mehrunes posted:

Seriously, From, let me buy a DLC that locks out invasions for anyone who summons me.
There's a setting for this in the options. Or at least something close to it, I can't check at the moment.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

dude come on when are they going to patch that invisible 1shot spell parry bullshit

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

After a couple of hours of attempts I finally got past Malenia’s first phase. I very strongly disagree with the idea I’ve seen everywhere that respeccing from STR to DEX is necessary or even a good idea for this fight. Her biggest weakness is that she is very very weak to poise damage, which STR weapons excel at. With powerstanced greatswords , my jumping L1s were doing 1K a pop and I would get periodic crits. The important thing is to bait her into attacking first, so you’re not caught with your pants down if she decides her next attack is going to be waterfowl dance

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I've seen a lot of people crush Malenia with that one attack, the flaming hammer one where you just hold down L2 and you turn into push mower and it gives you HP back.

Also, the absolute Chad Unga Bunga with dual hammers blasted her in seconds with like 3 jump attacks.

Dex is absolutely not a requirement. You just have to be strong enough or cheap enough to break her poise, and react appropriately when she does her ribbon dance.

Everyone made a huge deal about her difficulty, but it's really just roll in at the right power level, don't get greedy, roll, for the love of God don't get greedy. Or roll in OP as gently caress, or with some cheese gear like Dung Eater sword.

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 1, 2022

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Cowcaster posted:

i disagree! but i figure we're at an impasse here until miyazaki says in an interview "yeah this is exactly what i meant by this questline" though so we should probably just table it

Is there any way to kill Pidia and then see if Seluvis is still alive? Not sure if he's in an area that's protected or not.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

The Joe Man posted:

There's a setting for this in the options. Or at least something close to it, I can't check at the moment.

There's an option to not get invited to someone who has already been invaded, not to stop future invasions.

Consider that From forgot the lessons from DS2 about giving PVPers more options to spread them out. Add on to that condensing them invading players who are typically summoning because they need help with just the PVE aspect and ehhhh... still 9.9 out of 10 but there's always room for improvement.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
the Haligtree sure is pretty

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

someone linked the invasion level tiers here earlier and iirc it said level + 20 + (level*.1) and I don't think that's accurate

I'm level 57 so upper bound should be 57 + 20 + 6, but I just killed a level 97 that I brought in via taunter's tongue.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The other thing about Seluvis is that he was apparently a member of Roundtable Hold, which seems to indicate that he's Tarnished? Probably?

Oh, well, it's not like we really know what a Tarnished is, either.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Rand Brittain posted:

The other thing about Seluvis is that he was apparently a member of Roundtable Hold, which seems to indicate that he's Tarnished? Probably?

Oh, well, it's not like we really know what a Tarnished is, either.

A tarnished is someone who lost the Grace of the Erdtree (supposedly) and thus was banished from the Lands Between. Now that the Grace has returned to them they’re being drawn back to the Lands Between to become the Elden Lord.

A more complicated understanding is Marika can make people tarnished by taking away their Grace and was doing so to keep Godfrey and several powerful or intelligent people free from the Greater Will she was trying to long con escape from.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Cowcaster posted:

in other news i got a chance to try out the damage over time area of effect attack of the death's poker on some big enemies, having been giving the impression that it might be the new hoarfrost stomp, and was immensely disappointed. i bet you it's incredibly vicious in pvp since the required damage to kill is so much lower but against a big fat erdtree avatar it did less damage with the full burn than two jump attacks

edit: although upon further research it sounds like maybe i should be trying the big explosion attack instead of the damage over time attack...

That's a bummer. But :justpost: if the other attack is any good.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Trash Trick posted:

someone linked the invasion level tiers here earlier and iirc it said level + 20 + (level*.1) and I don't think that's accurate

I'm level 57 so upper bound should be 57 + 20 + 6, but I just killed a level 97 that I brought in via taunter's tongue.

Actually as a level 57 player you should only be able to be invaded by players up to level 63. (57 + 10%)

If you used the bloody finger yourself you could invade players anywhere between level 83 and 51. The invasion window is lopsided, so invaders can be a decent chunk lower than their host but not much higher.

I guess the taunter's tongue might extend the window though?

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Okay so I'm going to blunder in here and complain about a boss fight:

Malenia. What the gently caress am I supposed to do during the blade flurry? Is this a "better get a greatshield buddy" because rolling seems completely pointless and it basically one shots me unless she decides to do it to my spirit.

None of the other fights I've done feel as cheap as this.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Kalsco posted:

Malenia. What the gently caress am I supposed to do during the blade flurry? Is this a "better get a greatshield buddy" because rolling seems completely pointless and it basically one shots me unless she decides to do it to my spirit.

The second and third flurry can be rolled through. Someone in this thread recommended running away before the first one but I didn't do that and just ate it.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

Lord_Magmar posted:

A tarnished is someone who lost the Grace of the Erdtree (supposedly) and thus was banished from the Lands Between. Now that the Grace has returned to them they’re being drawn back to the Lands Between to become the Elden Lord.

A more complicated understanding is Marika can make people tarnished by taking away their Grace and was doing so to keep Godfrey and several powerful or intelligent people free from the Greater Will she was trying to long con escape from.

What if that isn't Marika? It seems more like the alien Greater Will saw the threat posed to it by the alien Giant's Flame and used Hoarah Loux to neutralize it. As soon as he finished the greater will cast him off as he was no longer of use. I saw his return as purely an act of pride, as are all wrestlemania matches.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Kalsco posted:

there's a specific dodge and sprint pattern that's consistent to avoid it. if you don't want to have to practice it too much, then barricade shield on a solid medium shield or vow of the indomitable will both let you tank through it at the cost of her healing

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kalsco posted:

you've just encountered the game's nastiest attack so don't feel too discouraged

the sequence seems to be "sprint/roll away from the first flurry, roll into the second flurry, roll into the third flurry, run like hell" but i never pulled it off

look up "dodge waterfowl dance" on youtube for exact steps

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
When she jumps up in the air and lingers, that's your sign to de-target lock her and run the gently caress away. You outrun the first phase, then roll away for the second, and then roll towards her for the third. If you do it right you won't get hit.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Actually as a level 57 player you should only be able to be invaded by players up to level 63. (57 + 10%)

If you used the bloody finger yourself you could invade players anywhere between level 83 and 51. The invasion window is lopsided, so invaders can be a decent chunk lower than their host but not much higher.

I guess the taunter's tongue might extend the window though?

Hmm. Yeah, weird. Dude dropped 2200 runes and http://straykurtis.gq/ has always seemed accurate thusfar.

I'm getting sick of taunter's tonguing though. Every other dude uses that 1shot bug. Really loving annoying when I'm just looking for some good fights.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

Kalsco posted:

I played a sorcerer and running away was enough for the first 2 and running towards/panic rolling towards left me with minimal damage.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Kalsco posted:

Here’s how you dodge it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wWnRCm7jxI
bloodhound dash is also an option but it’s a bit finicky. I have it equipped as a back-up tho in case I mess up and can’t get any distance from her.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Lord_Magmar posted:

Yes, but we don't know exactly when this happened, or if it only happened once, or a lot of other details. We definitely know that not every Tarnished showed up in the Lands Between again at the same time, but there are a lot of missing pieces we'll probably never get, just like with the Seluvis story.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
is it good or bad that the most infamous attack in elden ring invokes the image of a furious duck

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe
major ending spoilers:

Let's not forget that we are told at the beginning that Marika was imprisoned for her actions and we find her crucified on the last shard of the ring when we force our way into the alien space tree.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

causticBeet posted:

Anyone gently caress with scythes? Grave Scythe seems pretty dope in terms of “STR/DEX scaling, can put enchants on, funny big weapon.” I’m level 45 now on a save that I intend to try to stay between 50-80 for PvP in earlier caelid + capital using power stanced scythes and the move set feels pretty good. The dodge L1 and jump L1 especially are very cool and fun.

Yeah, I used the Winged Scythe for most of my Faith/Str playthrough, until I got the Blasphemous Blade. I still switch back to the Winged Scythe (and sometimes will power stance the Winged Scythe with a regular, Sacred-affinity Scythe) when I fight an enemy that's strong against fire. Scythes are sick, they have huge range, aren't super slow and have very good Weapon Arts. Too bad there only four and two of them are RNG-based drops.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

is it good or bad that the most infamous attack in elden ring invokes the image of a furious duck

as a canadian, i can wholeheartedly assure you that there's no animal i'd want to piss off less than a goose

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

The Berzerker posted:

Thinking of doing a Faith focused run, adding some Strength or Dex (preferably Strength as I haven't done that either). Has anyone played around with the Golden Epitaph? I was thinking of trying to get it early but not sure if it is worthwhile long term.

It's a very solid bread and butter weapon for faith. No flash, but if you just want to hit things quickly and kill them it's fine.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

really, faith builds have a bit of an awkward time with weapons because of the preponderance of bosses with either high holy or high fire resist. you can swap between sacred and flame art as needed on a regular weapon, but you need to plan to lug around two weapons if you're gonna use a somber weapon at all

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Professor Beetus posted:

I killed him in the 60s and with an int build it was still plenty challenging for me.

Didn't realize that 80 would be ridiculously overleveled post-nerf cuz the first time I fought him I was ~85 and I barely won, and even then only because I abused the gently caress outta hoarfrost stomp in the second phase, so that was my frame of reference

Lore chat: At the Lower Capital Grace you find Lionel's armor and a deathbed dress here:

Is the implication that Fia had something to do with Lionel's death? Does this happen to everyone Fia kills? (I didn't pay too close attention to D's body) And what's the connection with the other bodies you find like this?

e: oh yeah duh Lionel is one of the champions. So who's that guy we got the Cipher Peta from?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Lore chat: At the Lower Capital Grace you find Lionel's armor and a deathbed dress here:

Is the implication that Fia had something to do with Lionel's death? Does this happen to everyone Fia kills? (I didn't pay too close attention to D's body) And what's the connection with the other bodies you find like this?

e: oh yeah duh Lionel is one of the champions. So who's that guy we got the Cipher Peta from?

D died from getting a little too close to the deathroot and being hit by the blight. fia just saps a bit of essence from the people she lies with, which she probably used as a template for the phantoms

lionel declared himself to be fia's father, so he was either her guardian or way more obsessed with her than her other paramours. either way, little surprise that he lay down and died when she left him

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Bold Robot posted:

That's a bummer. But :justpost: if the other attack is any good.

i've just tried it out against a couple of catacomb bosses and such, it's nothing to write home about for pve. again, i bet it's abusive for pvp though.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Trash Trick posted:

I'm pretty sure all of the multiplayer formulas poeple are posting right now are just speculation and assumptions based on the DS3 math. We know there's both a level band and weapon upgrade band, but we don't officially know what they are or how generous they are yet. Previous Fromsoft games have had more lax grouping if the taunter's tongue style item is used, and have also been more lax about invaders hitting higher level characters than themselves. Like you can invade someone x+40 but only invade x-20. Usually the formula is some version of a fixed number of levels, plus a percentage of your levels, and then weapons fall into tiers like everything up to +8 in one group, 8-9 in another, and 12+ in its own. That looked at the highest upgrade you owned, not what was equipped.

Password protection lets you bypass the range for coop signs and dueling, but also will scale down a higher level character outside the range to their host's level.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Apr 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Professor Beetus posted:

Level 80 isn’t ridiculously overleveled for Radahn lol