Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Tampa Bae posted:

Why's it like that and how to I get back to the title screens to start fresh saves

Every game that has an SP also has a normal version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Maybe, more if you liked River City Ransom

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Wild that River City Zero is a thing. I have so many fond memories of playing through the original Japanese version with a friend in middle school, pulling it out whenever we had some time and beating it like a dozen times over the course of a few years. Had no idea what was going on, but we made our own story. Played it on some strange emulation device his brother owned that you plugged into a SNES and put five inch floppy disks into. Fuckin good memories, i still have that gambling parlor music forever etched into my brain. Dang, I miss that guy.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Waffle! posted:

They're saving Earth Worm Jim 1 for the Sega CD version.

God I hope so, the Sega CD's soundtrack is so good that it essentially ruins the SNES/Genesis versions for me, I can't stand listening to the music on either of those versions.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Tampa Bae posted:

Why's it like that and how to I get back to the title screens to start fresh saves

If you aren't talking about the SP versions of games. Check to see if your system is no longer the primary for you account in the settings.

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.
am i rusty at mario kart or is ninja hideaway a terrible track

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

helsabot posted:

Must be rust or something else. Ninja Hideaway absolutely owns and is easily the highlight of the pack for me

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Ninja Hideaway is probably Top 5 for the entire franchise imo

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

drat Rayman literally went back to normal price after I posted so gently caress it, Axiom Verge

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
My firstborn son will be named Ninja Hideaway

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

helsabot posted:

Ninja hideaway saved this game

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Wait "River City Girls: Zero" is only 3 hours long according to HLTB (though only three people polled).

$15 for three hours? They can't be serious.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Omg the Psyches just dropped Nimrook for Keepa. Unbelievable. I just need the Sigil now.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Waffle! posted:

It's funny how S/NESflix has people going back to GameFAQs like it's 1998 again.

GameFAQs continues to have a better format and structure than any loving guides and wikis and goddamn videos they expect you to watch nowadays

punk rebel ecks posted:

Wait "River City Girls: Zero" is only 3 hours long according to HLTB (though only three people polled).

That sounds pretty sus and is probably people who've played the original on emulator.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
GameFAQs is still the definitive place for info on a fair few games. There's one guy who has made extremely comprehensive guides for every Yakuza game and nothing else on the internet comes close

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

GameFAQs continues to have a better format and structure than any loving guides and wikis and goddamn videos they expect you to watch nowadays

That sounds pretty sus and is probably people who've played the original on emulator.

I'm so glad I'm not alone in thinking this. I thought I was going crazy. Every time I type in a question for a game I'm launched to a dozen lovely videos, reddit threads which I find annoying to sift through, or a gaming site that says barely anything at all.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'm so glad I'm not alone in thinking this. I thought I was going crazy. Every time I type in a question for a game I'm launched to a dozen lovely videos, reddit threads which I find annoying to sift through, or a gaming site that says barely anything at all.

Same. Yesterday I tried to search for something and had to go through a first Google page of nothing by dumbass youtube videos. I just wanted to know the assignments in a questline. A simple website or txt is all I need and is 10 times faster than listening to some vainglorious youtuber.
Reddit at least occasionally provides a direct answer.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the sega genesis ran earthworm jim 1 and 2 better than the snes actually

No, Earthworm Jim 1 was the better version on Genesis, but Earthworm Jim 2 was the better version on SNES

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Got Kirby today, for my sons birthday on Sunday. I let him have it early, and he's upstairs going "I'm a caaaaaaaaaar!!"

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

punk rebel ecks posted:

River City Ransom is maybe 30 minutes unless you're grinding a bunch of stats (and something like 5-10 minutes to speedrun). :shrug:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Got Kirby today, for my sons birthday on Sunday. I let him have it early, and he's upstairs going "I'm a caaaaaaaaaar!!"

Hell yeah

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
took me like 10 seconds to remember my biggest problem with the Earthworm Jim games which is that it's one of those platformers where it's totally unclear what constitutes a platform or not

also 99% of my time in the SNESflix app is in Panel de Pon and where the hell is a switch Puzzle League game

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It’s hard to beat 2000s era documentation.

Like SRK for example was (and for older games is) a better resource for fighting games than literal anything else.

For some reason Reddit seems allergic to the term “mega thread” and is rarely updated. Discord makes searching a pain and the format is for instant messaging instead of long write-ups with videos and images.

Sites like SRK had simply had separate boards for games and separate threads for characters within those games. The OP would be updated with virtually everything you needed to know. Under it you would see users who ask common questions (that you probably have) that were answered. The latest posts were of people experimenting so that you would find the very latest and greatest techniques. All the while you could ask these very same people anything and they’d answer.

In contrast, when I was playing SF2:CE in the local arcade that opened up last month, it took me like five minutes of online searching to find even a wiki on it. And when I did it simply gave the most basic combos for each character and little else.

What I’m trying to say is that I miss 2000s era internet.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
my favorite is instances of games like Doom and Fallout/TES where there were really good fan-made wikis that get SEOed off the top of Google because loving Fandom makes a really bad, inaccurate, ad-filled wiki instead

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

punk rebel ecks posted:

It’s hard to beat 2000s era documentation.

Back in the early 2000s I remember being really impressed by metroid2002.com, a fan site that was dedicated to sequence breaks and getting out of bounds in the Metroid Prime games. Clear, concise text descriptions combined with with short, focused videos (generally around 15-30s) for illustrating the parts that are hard to describe in pure text. It was such a great format, I couldn't wait for it to catch on and become really widespread, which it obviously would.

:smith:

At least the site is still up instead of being lost to time.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
okay I think I've done everything I care to do in the new kirby, what an absolute 10/10 of a game, anyone who has a soul and $60 dollars to spare should get it

100YrsofAttitude posted:

There's at least five seperate sites that do nothing but create dozens upon dozens of pages that are all the same two-paragraph blurb about the game itself and then a little bit of text and maybe even a picture copied from another site or pre-release images or something explaining that yes, there are treasures chests in the Northeast Plains and you could get money or even gear from those, and you can use money to buy healing items or equipment, which can be equipped to make your characters stronger, so you should find those chests and open them.

I can ignore reddit and YouTube easily enough, but gosh dang these sites do actually frustrate me.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Google is getting worse everyday with those SEO sites. And if I see another Quora link I’m gonna send google a mildly annoyed email

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Rookie Switch question:

I bought a standard Switch that I've connected to my TV, and I have the one controller that came with it. I have family coming to stay with me for a few days. Are there any recommended 2 player couch co-op games that can be played by splitting that one controller in to 2 pads?

The family member is older so hopefully something slow paces like golf or streets of rage etc...

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/RPGSite/status/1509684547532869634

gently caress yeah

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Hughmoris posted:

Rookie Switch question:

I bought a standard Switch that I've connected to my TV, and I have the one controller that came with it. I have family coming to stay with me for a few days. Are there any recommended 2 player couch co-op games that can be played by splitting that one controller in to 2 pads?

The family member is older so hopefully something slow paces like golf or streets of rage etc...

Kirby is good, has a light coop mode where one person becomes a bandana waddle dee that doesn't get powers but wields a spear. Also the camera follows Kirby.

Pikmin 3 is also good - the campaign is fully co-op, but even if you don't have time for that, there's a mission-based mode. It judges you on completion time (and maybe Pikmin lost?) but it's not really important.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Snipperclips. Boxboy + Boxgirl. Overcooked.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Snake Maze posted:

Back in the early 2000s I remember being really impressed by metroid2002.com, a fan site that was dedicated to sequence breaks and getting out of bounds in the Metroid Prime games. Clear, concise text descriptions combined with with short, focused videos (generally around 15-30s) for illustrating the parts that are hard to describe in pure text. It was such a great format, I couldn't wait for it to catch on and become really widespread, which it obviously would.

:smith:

At least the site is still up instead of being lost to time.

See also: Serebii, the very best website for Pokémon game information going all the way back to Red and Blue. In my dream world that’s what all gaming resource sites would look like. The information is all very clear, sorted by generation, each game has its own page with all of the unique things for that game plus common things people might be looking for like exclusive lists and how to get event legendarys. Plus they have full maps of all of the older games that are super easy to navigate. It absolutely wouldn’t exist if it had to start today but because it’s been around and everyone trusts it, it sticks around.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Hughmoris posted:

Rookie Switch question:

Good Job! is extremely fun and simple.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

What's this then?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

What's this then?

One is a sort of pre-Disgaia Disgaia starring the Thiccest Nun and Nicholas D Wolfwood and the other is a musical JRPG

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Hughmoris posted:

Rookie Switch question:

Clubhouse Games

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
https://twitter.com/MarioBrothBlog/status/1509921974209892363

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

GOTY

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

https://twitter.com/MarioBrothBlog/status/1509923118432890894?t=z91W-jAhPk-yeRLPVTbjIg&s=19

A true icon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Same