Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
A few weeks ago, I took our daughter to the hospital to get some bloodwork done. She was a bit dehydrated so they couldn't find a vein but she was a trooper. Since then when I pick her up from daycare she talks about how she doesn't like/want to go to hospitals, which understandable. Today we get a message from our daycare saying she didn't want to go to the hospital. What was worst she started going around saying rape. My wife and I have never watched/used that word for anything. Have no idea where she learned it, hopefully she was just trying to say something else like grape. But it was a totally :wtf: morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Alterian posted:

I get up at 4:30 and enjoy the 2 hours in my house of quiet.

I do this too but it sure as hell isn't by choice. My brain is stupid.

Parents of difficult children, do you have any guidance/suggestions/resources for me to dig in to? We've been having challenges with our 7yo daughter's behavior and we are at the point where it's clear we need to start looking for other ideas, tools and assistance. When my wife sent me this article last night, I joked that she had written it herself because the description is pretty much spot-on. This excerpt stood out to me:

quote:

She is quick to cry, yell, and throw the kind of tantrum that I once thought only 2-year-olds were capable of. She’s disrespectful and rude. Moody. Unable to share and overly concerned about every drat toy (hers or someone else’s). Insistent upon doing things her way. Impossible if things don’t go her way. Manipulative. Always thinking only of herself. And always prepared to tell you exactly what she thinks and feels in that very moment. If she doesn’t like you or what you’re doing, you will hear about it. I hate labels, but let’s face it, she is spirited, strong-willed, and as it turns out, a brat.

At seven years old a screaming fit when something doesn't go your way isn't age-appropriate behavior in my book. We had the exact realization/turning point the article describes recently and it's been challenging for me to process. I unfortunately can't speak to how she interacts with her peers at school but I suspect she doesn't have very many friends there because she barely mentions but a couple of kids names. A call to the pediatrician is going to be our first step, as she is also exhibiting ADHD symptoms.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

devmd01 posted:

Parents of difficult children, do you have any guidance/suggestions/resources for me to dig in to?

The Explosive Child by Ross Greene

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My 9 year old is similar. He's been in therapy for 2? Years now (jeez time files) and got a diagnosis of ADHD about a year ago and has been on medication. He has gotten better, but its not perfect. His therapist works with him on dealing with his emotions and impulsivity. We started therapy when he was 7 because he was still throwing tantrums and once it started, it was basically it for the day. It would be this emotion he couldn't snap out from for a few hours. It's been a process and he can usually snap out of it and be back to normal in under an hour now! He only does this at home thankfully.

A lot of his issues stem from anxiety and his desire to assert control over situations because of his anxiety. His therapist thinks there might be something else in there because he shows symptoms of: ADHD, Anxiety, OCD, ODD, and Autism. Some of the symptoms contradict other symptoms though! I pretty much knew he had ADHD since he was a newborn if that was possible. I was hoping he would grow out of it, but he didn't. Having it diagnosed and treated has been incredibly helpful.

We started our journey by talking to his ped and getting a referral through them. It's rough. I get it. You feel like a loving failure sometimes. You try your best to raise a compassionate, good person and your patience is at its limit while they're shrieking at you about how they hate you and you're the worst person in the world slamming their door over and over because you made X for lunch instead of Y even though they love X but they can't handle having the control taken away from the.

Edit: My husband and I always comment to each other we don't know how we have a kid that acts like a spoiled rich kid when he's never been spoiled and we certainly aren't rich.

Alterian fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 31, 2022

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Engineer Lenk posted:

The Explosive Child by Ross Greene

Thanks, ordered.

Alterian posted:

A lot of his issues stem from anxiety and his desire to assert control over situations because of his anxiety.

I guarantee that this is a huge component of it for her. Both my wife and I both have our own challenges with anxiety so it wouldn't surprise me if that was passed along in some capacity. When we are able to have conversations with our daughter about what occurred after she has calmed down, the key thing that sticks out to me is her statement of "can't help it" when the outbursts arrive. I totally get that because at times my anxiety can straight up manifest as internal anger/rage because my brain is just overloaded by the situation. It takes a lot of discipline to keep it under control so it doesn't manifest inappropriately. Thankfully I have the advantage of many more years on this earth/maturity, understanding of my condition, and practice managing it. Unfortunately she does not. My children's mental health is something that I pay close attention and want to address as quickly as possible because my parents did jack and poo poo in that regard; looking back my depression/anxiety definitely started at a relatively early age. Hell, I didn't even really begin to address my own struggles until about six years ago, and I absolutely don't want that for my children.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Lining up as another parenr of a difficult child, although the tiny tyrant's about to turn 6 so she's on the lower end of the age scale. I've joked before about her gutteral death metal howls when she doesn't get her way, but I'm also not sure how much of that is added difficulties from Horse Humper.

My wife and I have wondered in the past if there's more to it. She seems to have an issue with sensory overload at times but only with specific sounds (usually stuff that she's not causing, mind) and her schedule being thrown off fucks with her. Unfortunately whatever screening we might do has to be approved by Horse Humper, and this is the dude that keeps linking us batshit fake-studies or misreading reputable studies to sandbag us from getting her vaccinated for COVID.

I'll check out the book that was recommended as well.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

devmd01 posted:

I do this too but it sure as hell isn't by choice. My brain is stupid.

Parents of difficult children, do you have any guidance/suggestions/resources for me to dig in to? We've been having challenges with our 7yo daughter's behavior and we are at the point where it's clear we need to start looking for other ideas, tools and assistance. When my wife sent me this article last night, I joked that she had written it herself because the description is pretty much spot-on. This excerpt stood out to me:

At seven years old a screaming fit when something doesn't go your way isn't age-appropriate behavior in my book. We had the exact realization/turning point the article describes recently and it's been challenging for me to process. I unfortunately can't speak to how she interacts with her peers at school but I suspect she doesn't have very many friends there because she barely mentions but a couple of kids names. A call to the pediatrician is going to be our first step, as she is also exhibiting ADHD symptoms.

Just an idea: what about a family vacation? Even if it's just driving out to camp somewhere nearby in a tent. Something to disconnect from the day to day and get family time. Sometimes kids need to connect and obviously don't get that at school, and exhibit stress from it. I know a lot of people have taken drastically less vacations since covid.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Just saw my baby pull himself up from a sitting position to hold on to the top of the crib. Never had done it before, never even tried it before. Thank God I was taking video so my wife can see it when she gets home.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

citybeatnik posted:

Lining up as another parenr of a difficult child, although the tiny tyrant's about to turn 6 so she's on the lower end of the age scale. I've joked before about her gutteral death metal howls when she doesn't get her way, but I'm also not sure how much of that is added difficulties from Horse Humper.

Because y'all likely have some trauma stuff complicating things, I'll add a book rec for The Connected Child by Purvis. That one's always recommended in the foster parent circles. I also got a lot from 'The boy who was raised as a dog', although that's more descriptive of trauma's impact on brain development than a guide for how to handle trauma behaviors.

Since many challenging behaviors in kids are tied in with anxiety issues, yet another book rec would be Liebowitz's 'Breaking free of child anxiety and OCD'.

I haven't actually implemented everything from all of these books, but the takeaways have really helped with my 14-year-old (plus getting him into a specialized school). He has a handful of diagnoses including ADHD, PTSD, mild ID, and pervasive developmental disorder NOS.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Baby decided that she was going to start standing in her bassinet without help, while me and my wife were on the other side of the room. Ooh a thing on the floor to reach for! Oops WAAAAA I FELL

Time to move her from the large bassinet to the playpen I guess. Good on her to figure out how to climb a wall that goes up to her chest?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Hello I come from planet "chill as hell baby" and I'm here with Chill Baby Vibes for everyone

been on parental leave for two weeks now, wife's been back to work for one (as of 5pm today) and I swear to god it's like in the week that we overlapped the kiddo decided that it was time to stop being unpleasant in any way, shape or form. Took the bottle easy as anything within half a week, started falling asleep unassisted in the crib, and started sleeping through the night (thanks, formula!). I swear to god, after a week off work with only a happy, snoozy baby to look after, I'm the most relaxed I've been in years.

Kid's pre-crawling in their crib at night though, so I know my days are numbered, but man I am absolutely soaking it in in the meantime though

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
I had a chill af baby too. Champion sleeper, never puked, barely ever cried, even when she got her shots.

Potty training her was absolutely hell.

Your time will come :)

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
One week out from getting rid of all the pacifiers and it sucks rear end trying to put a toddler down without a cheat code :( Currently an hour past his nap time and he's just making it very clear that he has no interest in going to sleep.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
When my kid turned one I got rid of pacifiers everywhere except in the crib. I’ll fight that battle some other day.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

lifg posted:

When my kid turned one I got rid of pacifiers everywhere except in the crib. I’ll fight that battle some other day.

Yeah he’s only been allowed to have them for naptime/bedtime for a while now, but that just made him all the more enthusiastic about going in his crib. Now we have no real bribe to offer him if he’s decided to set himself against it.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
We've been slowly eliminating when our son's allowed to have his. First it was just at bedtime, then it was only at lights out, now it's only in his own bed. The other night he insisted he wanted to stay in our bed (we shift him to his bed later) and went to sleep without it at all :woop:

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

For our 2.5yo, we were pretty successful in limiting pacifiers to bedtime/nap time only, but for the last stretch we had a “paci fairy” come and take all the pacis away to bring to a hospital for new babies, and leave a bunch of fun surprises for the morning. There’s a book we read a few times for a week or so before pulling the trigger. The first couple nights were tough for half an hour or so but now she talks all the time about how the paci fairy took her pacis to the hospital just for babies.

Our 7mo has never taken a pacifier so now we’re a pacifier free house

Kolodny fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Apr 3, 2022

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Both kids are having their first overnight stay with their dad tonight. The kids got sick last weekend when they were supposed to go, so tonight is officially my first night without them.

I worked, went and bought a sweatshirt that I’ve been wanting for a long time, took a long sauna, and now I’m picking up some delicious food. Going to eat, uninterrupted, on the couch, and watch, uninterrupted, Bridgerton. Then I am going to go to bed and hopefully sleep aaaaalllllll night, for the first time in literally years.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

I got rid of my last one when he had a bad night cough and wasn't going to sleep well anyway. It was already full of holes and getting gross.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Koivunen posted:

Both kids are having their first overnight stay with their dad tonight. The kids got sick last weekend when they were supposed to go, so tonight is officially my first night without them.

I worked, went and bought a sweatshirt that I’ve been wanting for a long time, took a long sauna, and now I’m picking up some delicious food. Going to eat, uninterrupted, on the couch, and watch, uninterrupted, Bridgerton. Then I am going to go to bed and hopefully sleep aaaaalllllll night, for the first time in literally years.

Congratulations. You loving deserve it. :dance:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
My daughter took a pacifier for about 2 weeks from 2 to 2.5 months. She's rejected them ever since.

So I guess I don't have to worry about weaning her off them.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I did it. I found the one good part of having a kid with a speech delay.

He pronounces "doc" like "cock", so when he wants to watch more Doc Mc. Stuffins he says "more cock". It's his new current obsession and my wife and I spend an unfortunate amount of time every day attempting to hold back laugher because of our immature sense of humor.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Also my wife got in a car accident last week. Big ole' land yacht on the inner turning lane decided to go straight and smashed into her passenger side door, right where kiddo was sitting. Wife has the normal aches and pains from getting jolted and my son didn't even realize anything was going on.

This is your reminder that car seats are loving magic and to strap your kids in like you're trying to suffocate them.

Yes we threw the car seat away and insurance is paying for a new one.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Renegret posted:

I did it. I found the one good part of having a kid with a speech delay.

He pronounces "doc" like "cock", so when he wants to watch more Doc Mc. Stuffins he says "more cock". It's his new current obsession and my wife and I spend an unfortunate amount of time every day attempting to hold back laugher because of our immature sense of humor.

I uh. I may have done a remix of that theme song that includes the words Cock McStuffins. The rest is just as bawdy.

quote:

The cock is in, it'll fill you up.
If you need a boy, then you're in luck
It's okay, dont be afraid
The cock really knows its stuff

Doo doo doo, ya know it feels good too
The cock is gonna help you feel better
Oh oh oh, dont need a man ho
When ya feel a little under the weather

Let Cock McStuffins do his thing
To get you right back in the swing
Cock McStuffins, Cock McStuffins
Come let the fuckin" begin, the cock is -
Cock McStuffins, Cock McStuffins,
Come let the fuckin' begin, the cock is IN!

D34THROW fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 3, 2022

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
When I was a kid, there was a toddler in the neighborhood who said his Ts like Fs so I spent a lot of time telling him to say truck you. His dad overheard and had to leave the room because he was laughing so hard.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Every time I hear my son clearly saying "pussy" I re-learn that there's a Thomas & Friend train named Percy.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Every time a blue jay comes to the feeder my kid excitedly yells "blue tweet tweet!"

I used to think it was adorable but Mrs pony pointed out today that it sounds exactly like bukkake.

We have a lot of blue jays around too.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

davebo posted:

Every time I hear my son clearly saying "pussy" I re-learn that there's a Thomas & Friend train named Percy.

For me it was the sentence 'ducks eating grass'. But of course a 2 yo can't pronounce the 'gr' part.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
My toddler is apparently allergic to lentils. Daycare said he got itchy after eating some but stupidly I didn’t believe them. Yesterday I fed him some and in a few minutes he rubbed them all over his face while eating. Turned into some nasty hives, swollen lips and eye, and a trip to urgent care to get some prednisone. Lesson learned listen to daycare.

At least it’s not peanuts.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

It could mean other legumes though which would be frustrating to deal with.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Most people who have an allergy to one legume will react to a couple more (including some most people don't think of as beans, like green peas), so yeah, best to keep an eye out. Thankfully cross reactivity between other legumes and peanuts tends to be pretty rare, but still something to keep in mind.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Yea we are going to ask about it during the pediatrician visit this week. He hasn’t been allergic to anything else and has peanut butter/peanut products pretty regularly. I don’t think he’s had chickpeas yet but he’s had peas for sure. Thankful it wasn’t worse than it was for how much he rubbed it all over his face and then started itching it once his immune system got mad. Wonder if it’s possible to just be a skin issue because he didn’t seem to be irritated anywhere else besides where he rubbed it. Will still avoid for now.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Toddler had a bad cough a few weeks back and, since he had croup a few months ago, we asked if that could have come back. “No, croup is done for this season.”

Last night brought our 11-month-old to the ER with a whooping cough and striding. ER doc: “that’s classic croup. I heard it down the hall. Croup can come at any time.”

Awesome.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

nwin posted:

Toddler had a bad cough a few weeks back and, since he had croup a few months ago, we asked if that could have come back. “No, croup is done for this season.”
That's an ignorant conclusion even in the best of times. But right now with COVID restrictions and NPIs having recently vanished in most countries these's all sorts of poo poo going around communities that you wouldn't "normally" see.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Hi thread, my nearly-5-yo daughter ate half a jar of relish while we were having burgers,

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Brawnfire posted:

Hi thread, my nearly-5-yo daughter ate half a jar of relish while we were having burgers,

Given his insatiable desire for bread and butter pickles, we haven't made my 3 year old aware of relish's existence yet

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Is anyone else’s 2-3 year old constantly out of breath? It’s exhausting to watch

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
The first overnight with their dad was uneventful. I only woke up a few times thinking I heard my baby, but it was so nice to sleep in my bed by myself for the entire night. I was going to pick up the baby the next afternoon, but their dad stopped by my house for a “diaper change” and then didn’t want to take the baby with to the aquarium. So my free time got cut short by a few hours.

Today he is informing me that he is going to “defend himself” and officially reject my financial proposal, so this is going to be dragged out even longer, and cost several thousand more dollars. It makes me so furious.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Did your proposal include giving him Jack poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I am going to assume you've already gotten the advice to document Errrrrything, Just Absolutely Errything, so while it sucks it's going to be dragged out, having him just be absolutely baffled at getting his nose rubbed in all his various horseshit should be amazing.