Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

quote:

Germany has today approved the delivery of 58 armored vehicles to Ukraine, according to information to Die Welt.

The vehicles are older East German troop transport vehicles of model PbV-501.

They are equipped with cannons and machine guns, and the proposal has previously been rejected by the German federal government as it was considered politically risky.

The vehicles were sold by Germany to Sweden in the 90s which later sold them on to a private Czech company.

The Czech company has long wanted to sell them on to Ukraine, but since they need permission from Germany to do so, this has not happened.

But according to the newspaper's information, the German Ministry of Defense has today approved the deliveries of the armored vehicles.

https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a/lVmoXy/liverapportering-spanda-laget-kring-ukraina

15 mins old news here for me, link is in :sweden:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Dwesa posted:

Sounds like a lot of denial. I would like to know the mood outside of 2 big cities, it's easier to be in denial when you're not receiving zinc coffins (yet).

My concern is that the effects of the sanctions aren't being felt on the ground by regular folks.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Based on Russian competance so far, it was probably two Russian helicopters where the pilots were lost and didn't realise they were still the wrong side of the border.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

To add to that, pbv- 501 is the Swedish designation. It's old east German mt-lbs.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

MikeC posted:

My concern is that the effects of the sanctions aren't being felt on the ground by regular folks.

They will be. They're already out past the cliff edge, they're just hovering a moment because they haven't looked down yet.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Apparently it's 50s vintage design? Maybe upgraded, I dunno. Originally :ussr: made at the Kharkiv Tractor Plant :laffo: what a world

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Apr 1, 2022

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

at this point i honestly don't think there's anything you can expect from the russian public, the brainwashing and propaganda has had its effect. like in germany, the reality will only really set in after defeat, whatever effect the sanctions will have on people in russia, it will probably not erode support for putin, the sanctions should be applied purely with an eye to undermining his ability to wage war. the only hope to end this is to force a cease fire either by negotiation (unlikely) or to exhaust their military, unfortunately

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

mobby_6kl posted:

Apparently it's 50s vintage design? Maybe upgraded, I dunno. Originally :ussr: made at the Kharkiv Tractro Plant :laffo: what a world

Its the BMP1, going by this:

https://www.sphf.se/svenskt-pansar/fordon/pansarbandvagn/pbv-501-fordonsfamilj/

Once again, link in FILTHY SWEDISH

quote:

Armored car 501 family
This carriage is the Russian BMP-1 which in its first variant came in 1967. When Sweden in 1993 bought the former East German MTLB for Pbv 401, but these in number were not enough to fill the need within the Norrland and infantry brigades, they wanted to take advantage of the opportunity in the agreement about Pbv 401 to also try BMP-1. Five wagons were purchased in 1994, four for different types of tests and the fifth for destructive shooting attempts.
The test results were positive, so in June 1994 it was decided to buy 350 wagons. You actually buy 433, where 83 were to be used for spare parts. As the wagons had been outdoors for a long time, renovation and modification (REMO) needed to be done to achieve Swedish standards on them. In a Czech factory, the wagons were completely disassembled, the hull was blasted and the engine, gearbox, etc. were completely renovated, after which the entire vehicle was painted. For this, they were provided with new lighting and reflectors. Thereafter, Pbv 501 is delivered continuously with twelve wagons a month from 1996 to 2001 to Sweden.

With the mechanization of the army and the transition to the new organizational structures IB 2000 and NB 2000, respectively, Pbv 501 was initially intended to be assigned to the Norrland brigades and Pbv 401 infantry brigades. When the passability in snow-covered terrain turned out to be too bad for Pbv 501, the change was made so the infantry brigades in southern Sweden were assigned Pbv 501 and the Norrland brigades instead got Pbv 401.

Pbv 501 was available in two versions: Pbv 501 for troop transport by a firing squad and Stripbv 5011 as a combat command vehicle for company commanders.

Conscription training barely has time to get started with more than one company per brigade before a decision on union closures comes. Following a decision on the reduction in the number of units, the wagons were stored and in 2005 it was decided that they would be phased out. The decommissioning was completed in 2010 after the Czech company responsible for the renovation bought back the wagons. It has since been discovered that the wagons were resold to Iraq

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Tuna-Fish posted:

Ukraine has been making great use of attack helicopters the whole war. Back when Russia was sending columns to outflank Kyiv from the west, the Ukrainians would use drones or guys in ambush with Stugnas or Javelins to take out the AA vehicles in those convoys, and when they were sure there was no AA left, they'd send the helis to clean up. Same happened to the convoy that pushed north past Mykolaiv.

The news is that Ukraine is confortable enough in their situation to risk sending the helis east, instead of keeping them all operating west of Dnipro.

Interesting. I hadn't heard anything about Ukrainian helicopters, didn't even know they had any, never mind that they were actively using them successfully.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

mobby_6kl posted:

Apparently it's 50s vintage design? Maybe upgraded, I dunno. Originally :ussr: made at the Kharkiv Tractro Plant :laffo: what a world

It's mighty nice of Germany to allow the sale of old junk to Ukraine.

(Not that their military has anything better -- it's a total shitshow.)

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Gejnor posted:

Its the BMP1, going by this:

https://www.sphf.se/svenskt-pansar/fordon/pansarbandvagn/pbv-501-fordonsfamilj/

Once again, link in FILTHY SWEDISH

drat, seems I was wrong. I didn't remember we got those as well.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
The BMP-1 is crazy annoying in War Thunder so I hope it keeps true to form.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

MikeC posted:

Economy is not a kalibr missile falling on you, it takes time for effects to take hold - slight price increases on consumer goods are in line with pandemic ones, layoffs are mostly hitting foreign companies leaving Russia (which is independent from sanctions).

Besides sanctions are not aimed at common folk so they start asking questions (lost cause for a non-democratic society), they are to hit Russia as a whole.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

fatherboxx posted:

Economy is not a kalibr missile falling on you, it takes time for effects to take hold - slight price increases on consumer goods are in line with pandemic ones, layoffs are mostly hitting foreign companies leaving Russia (which is independent from sanctions).

Besides sanctions are not aimed at common folk so they start asking questions (lost cause for a non-democratic society), they are to hit Russia as a whole.

In the twitter thread there was a guy from South Africa who explained the same. It was all fine and business as usual for a while until things started getting worse. So far I guess the average person wouldn't notice much beyond the closed McDonalds and lack of hollywood movies.

Still, what little effect there has been, I've heard russians whine about them. Whaaa it's difficult to get european visas or fly abroad they're hurting the regular people :qq:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1509701889956487176?s=20&t=62lVZoIDHwzL0DJrIbycug

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Apparently it's 50s vintage design? Maybe upgraded, I dunno. Originally :ussr: made at the Kharkiv Tractor Plant :laffo: what a world

Well if it takes eleven men into combat instead of walking or cramming them into a Lada. :shrug:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

In the twitter thread there was a guy from South Africa who explained the same. It was all fine and business as usual for a while until things started getting worse. So far I guess the average person wouldn't notice much beyond the closed McDonalds and lack of hollywood movies.

Still, what little effect there has been, I've heard russians whine about them. Whaaa it's difficult to get european visas or fly abroad they're hurting the regular people :qq:

If you ever go to Cape Town city centre (or streetview it) it's very clear that at some point in the 70's the money for new buildings just ran out. That's it really - the world doesn't end but at some point you look around and realise that 'everything continuing exactly as before' means that you are 10 years behind the rest of the world and falling ever further behind.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

My best guess is two ukrainian helicopter pilots got a little drunk and dared each other into a mini doolittle raid and then they got lucky and caught russian air defense with their pants down, possibly because the russians assumed they were returning Russian pilots or because they flew low enough to not get detected or both.
Russian civilians reported that as the Hinds flew past, they heard someone singing "Downtown".

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

ZombieLenin posted:

Okay, but the UA Army General Staff claims to have no knowledge of this attack.

A guy on twitter heard from a guy who spoke to someone who said they didn’t know isn’t really a good indication of anything imo.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

GaussianCopula posted:

https://twitter.com/ua_industrial/status/1509836235115749384

Don't try this at home kids.

(it's probably save if you know that the mine doesn't have an anti-handling system but there is also the off chance that they are not well maintained and just go randomly off)
:psyduck:

I'm not a robotics expert, but I'm quite confident I could rig up a remote-controlled roomba with a little plow attached within a few hours.

Even something like "let's have one guy do this instead of three" seems like a no-brainer.

I understand that the triggering mechanism is designed for a lot of weight for it to detonate, but they are still mines. They're betting their lives on Russian manufacturing and maintenance quality being decent, which recent events suggests is not a bet worth taking, if it can be helped.

The risk/reward for what they're doing compared to any of a number of alternatives I can think of does not seem very good.

Or maybe this is just an April Fools or a propaganda video, and those are not actually live mines.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Payndz posted:

Russian civilians reported that as the Hinds flew past, they heard someone singing "Downtown".

I got that reference!

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

This is what welcoming liberators looks like

lovely tuna snatch
Feb 10, 2010

MikeC posted:

On a positive note, this proves the morons going "these sanctions are only hurting regular everyday completely innocent Russians who have things bad as it is" as completely wrong.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

ZombieLenin posted:

Okay, but the UA Army General Staff claims to have no knowledge of this attack.

https://twitter.com/JulianRoepcke/s...ebbb87c347f%2F0

It is confusing to me too, because I do not see the benefit gained by Russia in attacking their own oil storage facility and blaming it on Ukraine, but there you have it...

But honestly, I have been trying to figure out how two helicopters crossed so far into Russian airspace, how dangerous that was, and how much easier it would have been to hit that target with a ballistic missile or drone.

There's a lot of ways to read that tweet that don't mean that the general staff had no idea it was happening.
What was the nature of the enquiry? Was the colleague of the tweeter blind emailing the staff offices asking them about it, was it a personal meeting, presser etc?
I don't know how the Ukr mil usually disseminates info about it's operations to the press. Is it done seperately or through a central press release office? has the general staff coordinated the official response, do they have the capacity to reply with accurate information without consulting another group?
Are the Ukr mil ready to brief the press about it? This happened in the early hours of this morning, that tweet went out maybe 3 hours after it happened. Is the sortie even over yet? has it been debriefed? do the general staff even know the extent of the success or failure yet?

There are so many unknowns with an event this recent that you can't take a statement by someone like that at face value. The whole story is wild though and if it really did play out as it appears, with Ukr just flying into russia, blowing poo poo up and flying off then it's as much a PR win as it is a tactical one.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Ivankiv falling is huge, it will be interesting to see whether the Russians managed to evacuate that pocket or if they've got a really embarassing retreat on foot through the marshes coming up.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/olliecarroll/status/1509866278009376768

The fact they aren't denying it makes me think that Ukraine did strike the oil depot

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
https://mobile.twitter.com/cliffordlevy/status/1509869650984816681

Goddamn look at it burn

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

I take back what I said about April Fools stuff this is a pro-click

https://twitter.com/vpkivimaki/status/1509865440419491842?s=20&t=Kp5wCddV77A_PRdo1WfgMQ
Baby Bayraktar :kimchi:

edit: It's also genuinely instructional btw

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Is this one of those Feints I've been hearing about

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Since the start of this some people seem to have immediately chosen their sides for whatever reason, like this is the superbowl or something.

The pro-russian people have spent over a month on this goalpost moving running retreat to where we are at the point that the most recent of several attacks inside Russia by Ukraine must be fake because Russia is so strong this couldn't even happen accidentally. Ukraine is so defeated they couldn't do this intentionally. The only thing that makes sense, if you assume Russia is unbeatable, is that it was a false flag. Russia is so amazing and competent they expertly attacked themselves as part of a masterclass hidden plan we can only glimpse the edges of. Grasp at straws for a few minutes and you arrive at something that sounds plausible within that framework: Putin wants to turn the public's opinion to a fervor in support of a War instead of a mostly neutral position on a "special operation."

Other highlights of this same phenomenon
- A strange stream of extreme Russian casualties since Day 1 is just half the story, Ukraine has similar or more losses The West is hiding from you
- Kiev was surrounded and starving four weeks ago when people were shopping and commuting to work on livestreams.
- Ukraine officially had no remaining army five weeks ago because some guns had been handed out to citizens.
- The boat that plainly exploded on video and is now a wreck visible from space was a gentle sinking expertly conducted to put out a fire
- The cities Russia can't take with full on assaults are not taken by choice, based on 60 year old textbooks Russia's strategy is to surround a city and wait therefore was no assault
- Russia halting the usage of most precision munitions has to be a choice because they can't be out of them for unspecified reasons.
- Russia has ten of thousand tanks and airplanes on paper so if they aren't using them they aren't serious yet and they can always use them. It's just math apparently.
- Russia losing thousands of vehicles and tens of thousands of soldiers on the most broadcast war in human history actually didn't happen. It was all a clever feint maneuver that contradicts literally everything we've seen and everything Russia has done
- As there has not been a singular "BATTLE OF KYIV" like World War 2 involving 2000 tanks then Russia can not have sustained heavy losses as there were no major engagements in which to sustain them
- Russian losses are within Russian Doctrine. If you don't believe this you Don't Understand War. Conflicts have Losses. Russia was always going to have losses. You Fool. Assuming Russia had 100% fully staffed and armed battlegroups Oryx is showing 25% losses but we can find several mistakes with Oryx's numbers and they are Pro-Ukrainian so they can now be ignored.
- After suffering what is apparently now no losses Russia abandoning it's nationwide assault was just according to Keikaku. A masterful redeployment for it's true target as it removes it's weighted invasion and begins powering up.

It isn't really about the facts involved so trying to dissect why they are saying this stuff logically isn't going to get you anywhere. They just need to believe certain things in certain ways because otherwise Russia looks bad.

Not only is it unhinged it's disgusting but it will at least make an interesting study in the role of the internet in modern warfare and how groups of people cluster together to crowdsource comforting narratives while ignoring uncomfortable reality. If there is a decisive Russian rout that fucks them up entirely then the conversation will shift to an more mythical and impossible to defeat ideal of "Russia." Putin was dragged behind a lada in moscow? Well this just clears the way for The One True Russia. They can rebuild unencumbered now. Russia will only become stronger. It can never lose.

It's amazing how consistently wrong these people have been about pretty much anything, but still somehow manage to keep up the self-righteous arrogance. There is no troop build up at the border, the buildup is just for exercises, they are only marching into Donbas, they are only bombing military targets and have no ground troops, Ukraine will be overrun in 3 days, they are not bombing or shelling cities, they are only shelling cities with Nazis in them, etc.

At no point do these people stop and try to reflect and ask themselves "Am I an idiot?" because the answer is just too painful.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

KitConstantine posted:

predator drones sure are adorable

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/stuartelliott50/status/1509854671111966738

Anyone got more on this?

BigglesSWE posted:

The BMP-1 is crazy annoying in War Thunder so I hope it keeps true to form.

The real War Thunder intersection with this war is that Alconafter, largest Russian-speaking YouTuber for the game, apparently had a separate military history YT channel, and a war porn Telegram group. He was arrested some week or two ago by Latvian state security service for glorification of Russia’s aggression and justification of its army’s war crimes, allegedly preempting his attempt to flee to Russia.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

GABA ghoul posted:

It's amazing how consistently wrong these people have been about pretty much anything, but still somehow manage to keep up the self-righteous arrogance. There is no troop build up at the border, the buildup is just for exercises, they are only marching into Donbas, they are only bombing military targets and have no ground troops, Ukraine will be overrun in 3 days, they are not bombing or shelling cities, they are only shelling cities with Nazis in them, etc.

At no point do these people stop and try to reflect and ask themselves "Am I an idiot?" because the answer is just too painful.

'The JFO has been encircled for the last 4 weeks and will surrender any day'

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Current status around Kyiv, including settlements reported re-captured today:
https://twitter.com/Nrg8000/status/1509862876433235972?s=20&t=Kp5wCddV77A_PRdo1WfgMQ

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

If the UA is responsible for this, if they have the capability, I honestly think they should be doing a lot more of it. Attacks of military targets on Russian soil proper (not Crimea) are what are going to convince Russians that they are being lied to about the progress of the war.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

lovely tuna snatch posted:

On a positive note, this proves the morons going "these sanctions are only hurting regular everyday completely innocent Russians who have things bad as it is" as completely wrong.

Everyday upper middle class Russians may have to vacation in Turkey and not France!

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

There were news reports yesterday that the German government is wargaming nationalizing Gazprom Germania and it's subsidiaries as they are vital for the German natural gas infrastructure. I could see Russia trying to protect itself against such a move by obscuring the ownership of Gazprom Germania.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

DekeThornton posted:

To add to that, pbv- 501 is the Swedish designation. It's old east German mt-lbs.

Yes, but quite heavily modified removing stuff the Swedes found useless and/or in the way, and fitting some for command vehicle duty. As those are probably uselessly outdated, they're really just bad BMP-1s. I hope the Czechs have given them a good upgrade kit, otherwise they seem to be dangerously outdated. I guess with the massive distances in Ukraine, any functional APV is better than none, but I hope others are able to provide Ukraine with more battle-worthy vehicles.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

KitConstantine posted:

I take back what I said about April Fools stuff this is a pro-click

https://twitter.com/vpkivimaki/status/1509865440419491842?s=20&t=Kp5wCddV77A_PRdo1WfgMQ

Nice. They posted an English audio version too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFLtv2exMbU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Goon Boots posted:

predator drones sure are adorable

That doesn’t refer to a Bayraktar drone actual.