Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

What does that mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

dogsicle posted:

i'm not going to reread it but yes it was bad and i never got why it kept any sort of reputation for cancelled too soon

I definitely don't think it shouldn't have been cancelled - it wasn't good, but I think it technically hit the required notes (like establishing the stakes and a possible narrative arc early). Also, I think standards were a little different when it and Iron Knight (by the same guy) were in Jump. It's only in the last few years that I feel like new Jump entries have been exceptionally good/unique compared with past ones.

But just accomplishing those things isn't good enough anymore, because people have a firm idea of what "a cliche shounen manga" is and expect more.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

What does that mean?

Okay good. I wasn't the only one who was utterly confused by "receiving special plans". So it's not actually a reward, but just a special plan that may lead to a reward? :psyduck:

April fools joke maybe?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well black clover is almost finished.
Good riddance. Let something else do something with the pages it wastes.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

It's actually incredible. It started off decent, and then it just... stopped. It got bogged down in endless battles with ever-escalating odds. At this point, I read it only by inertia and because it's there on the website.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Can't find anything about that online. It just an assumption from the current arc's developments, or is there a link you can pass on?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Mikl posted:

It's actually incredible. It started off decent, and then it just... stopped. It got bogged down in endless battles with ever-escalating odds. At this point, I read it only by inertia and because it's there on the website.

It's like Bleach never left!

Oh, right.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I feel like black clover has stayed about the same level of quality from beginning to (possibly near) end

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I think the fight scenes have gotten too long, but overall I agree.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
black clover has had plenty of good scenes and even chapters. but then there's the rest of it.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Long fight scenes with very short chapters and often skipping weeks lead to it being a bit of a slog.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

black clover has had plenty of good scenes and even chapters. but then there's the rest of it.

So, Black Clover or Fairy Tale then?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I dunno what you guys are talking about. Black Clover was a consistently fun romp at the top end of shounen jump type stuff for like, 80% of its run. All the stuff post elf arc kinda dragged and made me walk away til its done, but it was super competent Shonen, unashamedly played straight.

It definitely didn't do anything super new or go for the darker more mature and bloody shonen of things like CSM or JJK, but that doesn't make it bad.

It was probably one of my favorite weekly reads for awhile, and at the very least was far better than naruto or bleach were at equal points in time.

It really is a shame it had one of the worst anime adaptations ever made.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i think the series is just suffering right now and it can kinda make you feel like nothing was ever good about it. long fights are a weakness for so many battle series (even "good" ones) and this particular one doesn't have very engaging stakes and has basically run out of rope from repeatedly invalidating all effort from the protagonists.

i mostly just hope this isn't the end since i feel there's a lot they can still address in their lovely wizard society, which is always one of the more engaging parts of the series.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

chiasaur11 posted:

Can't find anything about that online. It just an assumption from the current arc's developments, or is there a link you can pass on?

An assumption from what the mangas doing
Theyve just made a decisive looking blow to the king of demons that theyve spent the last 11 chapters in a fight with, in an arc thats been all nonstop nothing but fights for MONTHS.
And theyve revealed who Astas mom was.

Key word is 'decisive looking', who knows what asspulls remain. Regardless this looks like something final

Also the author may have run out of gas since the chapters have been 13-14 pages recently? Rather than the usual 18ish.

dogsicle posted:

i think the series is just suffering right now and it can kinda make you feel like nothing was ever good about it. long fights are a weakness for so many battle series (even "good" ones) and this particular one doesn't have very engaging stakes and has basically run out of rope from repeatedly invalidating all effort from the protagonists.

i mostly just hope this isn't the end since i feel there's a lot they can still address in their lovely wizard society, which is always one of the more engaging parts of the series.

Setting up expectations only to fail them hurts more than being middling since the start.
Sure BC started pretty generic but executed well, it got by on the strength of its characters and their interactions, like how you can see the black bull goofballs all care for each other a lot, a real sense of cast synergy that made you root for these underdogs, and fights that had personal, emotional stakes for the characters beyond immediate life/death.

But like you said everything post elf arc is just a whole bunch of nothing, which coincided with severe dialing back of everything that was good about BC in exchange for all the time fights. Other than the Nacht flashback there hasnt been much of that old spirit.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Apr 2, 2022

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I checked out of BC at the end of elf arc, because even that was too much for me. I can't imagine it getting even worse after that. :staredog:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Lt. Lizard posted:

I checked out of BC at the end of elf arc, because even that was too much for me. I can't imagine it getting even worse after that. :staredog:

It had a super loving great moment like a year ago, when one of the second-tier characters defeated what was then basically the penultimate boss in a fistfight. For exactly three chapters, Black Clover was interesting.

And then it immediately went back to being boring again.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

I checked out of BC when they introduced characters from a light novel and just expected you to know who they were

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

for the most part it doesn't, but the current arc is absolutely in a similar place to the elf climax where the fighting becomes interminable and less connected to interesting stakes. post-elf has plenty of good material that i'm not sure why it is being treated as a hard cutoff point (not you, but in general).

most of the stuff regarding demons comes after it, Nacht doesn't appear until after it, there's lots of smaller story bits for the lesser Bulls members etc. they also again confront lovely societal issues with bits like Asta going on trial.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

So, Black Clover or Fairy Tale then?

black clover doesn''t get uncomfortably horny so it's better

they are very similar in terms of quality tho imo. plus they both have the plot amnesia thing where I don't remember much of what happened but keep reading because they're competent enough

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So I finally decided to actually watch Fire Force (to be honest before I’d only really knew about it through hearsay and bits of information here and there) and while there are some questionable bits I’ll admit it’s better than I expected.

That said, what chapter should I start the manga from after finishing the second season of the anime?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Larryb posted:

So I finally decided to actually watch Fire Force (to be honest before I’d only really knew about it through hearsay and bits of information here and there) and while there are some questionable bits I’ll admit it’s better than I expected.

That said, what chapter should I start the manga from after finishing the second season of the anime?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Thanks

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On another note, when looking him up just now I noticed Ohkubo did another shorter manga before Soul Eater called B. Ichi. Is that one any good out of curiosity?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
This week in Ayashimon: A guy gets fisted!

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

P's is so good this week holy poo poo. i love sicko mode Meloli

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

I Am Fowl posted:

This week in Ayashimon: A guy gets fisted!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFTTZ9E_e2Y

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Roboco just doing a straight-up horror chapter

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Mikl posted:

At this point, I read it only by inertia and because it's there on the website.

This accounts for like 80% of the webcomics I read, and several Jump manga

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Fabricated posted:

Roboco just doing a straight-up horror chapter

I liked how the art style changed for the horror bits.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Shinji2015 posted:

This accounts for like 80% of the webcomics I read, and several Jump manga

I keep up out of stubbornness. It's similar, but more confrontational.

For Doron, Earthchild and Shugomaru, it's all the way over at vulture circling. They're looking like they're going to die soon, and I want to be there for it.

On the opposite end of things, Blue Box was nice this week. Just going straight to board game night and lying to people who ask questions so that no-one gets worried.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Akane-banashi: Hell yeah revenge match! Nice to see Akane use her newfound people skills to immediate use, expressions are stellar as always.

Ayashimon: Chapter.

Elusive Samurai: I love how this chapter hammers in just how alien Takauji is even among the weirdos of the cast; no one can really fathom what goes into his mind. Takauji's lived rent-free in Toshiyuki's head for years, but Takauji can't even remember him at all, whereas people like Sadamune have made it their mission to unmask Toshiyuki's true identity. The re-enactment of their first meeting (shown in the previous chapter), complete with the pinecone bit. The man's also utterly terrifying, too, Toshiyuki's the angriest he's ever been but as soon as Takauji turns his murderous intent upon him the kid's desperate to run away, and for first time, it's not even the slightest bit enjoyable.

Mashle: Chapter.

Roboco and Me: Generic horror plot but it hits pretty hard and the art's really eerie. Very good chapter, especially with Roboco trynna explain the plot.

Sakamoto: This is John Wick 4: Fandom Wars. I have never seen any of the John Wicks.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Black Clover's still okay in my books, Asta & Yami vs Dante and Magna vs Dante were great.

Granted, I tend to phase out of Black Clover (and MHA) for a few weeks at a time before returning.

I don't think it's some supremely magnificent piece of work but I still find it fairly enjoyable.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Who exactly is the main character of World Trigger, again? This arc is ridiculous, though I’m still enjoying it and I can’t really judge it one way or another until it’s over. I assume there’s going to be a huge simulated fight afterward, akin to the big invasion arc, so the pacing will make more sense in a reread, but still.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

nrook posted:

Who exactly is the main character of World Trigger, again? This arc is ridiculous, though I’m still enjoying it and I can’t really judge it one way or another until it’s over. I assume there’s going to be a huge simulated fight afterward, akin to the big invasion arc, so the pacing will make more sense in a reread, but still.

World Trigger has ever been anything but the insanely insanely long testing arc? I think you're lying.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the time between chapters did make a lot of the minor conflicts in these two feel more out-of-place than they are/would be with archival reading

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
What a bizarre character Earthchild chose to introduce almost ten chapters in. Everyone else is more or less grounded and then you put in this weirdo.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Man there were a lot of manga Sunday.

Earthchild: I love this trainwreck. What an introduction. I love how he wakes up Mamoru by yelling, so he apologizes, but then all his next word clouds are still jagged and filled with exclamation points. Pretty sure the editor is just taking the piss here.

Sakamoto: Otaku fight!

Show ha Shoten: Paper Airplane has realistic goals. I love this series. It's just entertaining, fun characters.

Protect: What's unlurned. Yes, precisely.

Mashle: Meh, not enough Mash. Though the Pudding guy would be great buddies with Desty Nova.

Twin stars: You know, I do love that Rokuro is realistic enough to realize he wasn't fully human either. So the big reveal just gets a :shrug: from him. Now let's see how Benio fails next chapter.

Doron: Cool. The big guy had a very cool ending and I do like how they weaponized character features. Like how Kusanagi is resilient.

Ayashi: That's quite a way to introduce someone.

Undead: Chaotic.

Roboco Got a hearty laugh out of me and was actually legit a little creepy.

Witch Watch: Moi learns something new.

Elusive: Yeah , this was a very cool chapter.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Witch Watch: I like Moi learning something new, but man, the student council chapters in Witch Watch are just the worst. It's just one big "look at how silly these tropes are wink wink nudge nudge" that's just tiring these days.

PPPPPP: I know we're supposed to think Meloli is going too far, but I'm actually rooting for her to destroy one of the Otogamis.

Seraph of the End: God, it's like the word 'family' isn't even real anymore. We just found out that the commander was the reason the MC's orphanage group got killed by vampires, which was the reason the MC even became a soldier in the first place. It's rather gross how it papers over how monstrous that is by having the MC go "but that was all in the past! We're family NOW!"

Show-Ha Shoten: I like how Azemichi admits that he only knows his partner for a couple of months so he can't just say he fully trusts him, but he's still willing to hear his side after the competition. They do a good job making you feel like these two are slowly growing as partners.

Ron Kamonohashi: The old lady getting the idea for a locked room murder from a loving TV segment about magnets is seriously stretching my suspension of disbelief.

Akane-banashi: Delightful as always. It's cool how they actually explain how Akane has improved herself and what she's doing to get the audience's attention.

High School Family: :lol: at "I only said I wanted us to stay together because it felt like the thing you say in a heartwarming family moment!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Akane-banashi got me looking at rakugo videos on youtube. Kinda like stand-up but with structured rules. Cool stuff