Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Would imagine we're going to see a lot of deaths from carbon monoxide poisoning too from dodgy heaters.

Probably also an uptick in house fires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Are any organisations of any standing even countenancing the merits of some sort of bill-paying strike? Seems like the only workable solution, albeit one that’s pretty much impossible to organise on the scale required for success, given the state of mass politics in this country.

e: lol a timely case in point for how far off this sort of thing is in the Labour Party these days –

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1509810105147133952

Answers Me fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Apr 1, 2022

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Sunlit Uplands of Brexit>there will be adequate food>there won't be adequate food>there won't be adequate heat>???>Victorian workhouses?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
There's enough money washing around in this country that people shouldn't be choosing between turning the lights on and eating for the sake of a few quid. It's disgusting. Tax some rich clowns up the wazoo, people like Sunak for instance.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
start

chopping

off

heads

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Necrothatcher posted:

Probably also an uptick in house fires.

At last, hitting the landlords where it hurts.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Oh my god.

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/dartford/news/huge-theme-park-for-oaps-with-sweeney-and-fawlty-towers-ride-264735/

quote:

London Resort on Swanscombe Peninsula teams up with BritBox for theme park for pensioners with Fawlty Towers and The Sweeney themed rides

In what is believed to be a world first BritBox and London Resort will pivot to a pensioner-focused business model.

BBC and ITV previously pulled out, taking image rights with them and seemingly scuppering the chances of any Thunderbirds- or Sherlock Holmes-inspired rides.

But the new deal offers a glimmer of hope for fans of hit shows such as Heartbeat and Dad's Army.

There are plans for a The Sweeney police chase simulator ride, a haunted house inspired by Fawlty Towers and a murder mystery live action role play game based on Diagnosis Murder.

There'll also be a Last of the Summer Wine rollercoaster.

Alongside TV-themed rides there would be favourites like a log flume called The Purple Rinse, bingo nights and even a scale recreation of Margate seafront from 1955.

I almost want this to get built just to see how awful it would be.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It Ain't Half Hot Mum ride with a paper bag instead of the cutout kid with the height marker.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Eventually this will expand out until the entire UK is just living in it, and nobody will even notice.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
edit: it's april 1st I'm an idiot

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Is this the Brexit park? Is there a ride themed on milk and binmen?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Go ahead and check the date, folks.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Presumably the rollercoaster would have bathtub shaped cars?

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

You know what, it says a lot about the current political climate that having read the article again it still sounds exactly what someone would try and do.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
In an exciting push to reduce gas usage and transition to a green energy future, SSE have teamed up with britbox to offer free rides on the generation game dodgems to the first fifty customers who cut their heating usage by ninety percent this February. Offer not open to those with NRPF.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I still believe.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

The last lot of backers for the "British Disneyland"/"Brexit Park"/exciting resort opportunity on Swanscombe peninsula only pulled out three days ago.

In a way Britboxland would be preferable to the perpetual joke where the punchline is us.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Flayer posted:

There's enough money washing around in this country that people shouldn't be choosing between turning the lights on and eating for the sake of a few quid. It's disgusting. Tax some rich clowns up the wazoo, people like Sunak for instance.

sounds pretty anti-semitic to me, poster.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

The April Fools bit was where the theme park for the elderly was only limited to a small area in Kent, rather than the current situation where it spans the entire country.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Guavanaut posted:

The people most likely to die are the very old, the immunocompromised/suppressed, BAME seniors, people with heart and lung problems.

We had a trial run of how much the government will give a poo poo :smith:

The only protests will be Piers Corbyn and David Icke chanting "you can't make me wear a sweater."

e: ^^^ It separates the ones with a human face somewhere (even if it's in their desk drawer and they stole it from a mortuary) from the Jacobs Rees Moggs. Not a huge achievement, but nonetheless lol at Tim Farron the lone dissenting Lib Dem

Just wear more clothes.

(This government, & the opposition, have to be at historic levels of cruelty, or at least since Queen Victoria kicked the bucket)

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/guardiannews/status/1509730022378164225

Averrences
May 3, 2008

It is April Fools.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Better that than building a new boat I guess, but I'd rather the boat gets sold & the money goes to the exchequer to fund vital services. So it is obviously an April Fool's gag because it's half-way to a decent idea from this government.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Is Britain Elects trolling?

https://twitter.com/BritianErect/status/1509838393890553856?t=1vwyh8Rb1Uhbh_oLI0XLww&s

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
@BritianErect definitely is.

Graun otoh are stealing my ideas. :manning:

Guavanaut posted:

Can't they just rename one of those seized oligarch yachts? They're already designed exactly for the tastes of a kleptocrat mob boss using high church kitsch to distract from being a second rate power.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Guavanaut posted:

@BritianErect definitely is.

Graun otoh are stealing my ideas. :manning:

gently caress

haakman
May 5, 2011
Energy costs are horrid but nothing will change because we live in a bleak, godless country which only appeals to the Bald 50 Guy taking selfie crowd.

There's always some 'well ackhtually' oval office round the corner and they all look like Akehurst.

Just loving ghastly.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Thank gawd these new fuel rates are an April Fools joke, there'd be heads on pikes if they were real.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Hope Scotgov don't gently caress this up (not an April Fool btw).

https://twitter.com/BBCScotland/status/1509829422492229638?t=oV4JWYILUMqiZPQmaCw15g

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Any other April fools would be 30 points ahead

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Averrences posted:

It is April Fools.

Fuuuuuuuuuuu

I forgot it was April 1st. Right, I'm avoiding all news today.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

haakman posted:

Energy costs are horrid but nothing will change because we live in a bleak, godless country which only appeals to the Bald 50 Guy taking selfie crowd.
Jack Monroe is a good egg with a good thread about it:

https://twitter.com/BootstrapCook/status/1509818628648194048?t=LG-qiqINqON2NRLT4r8eaQ&s=19

(Also I don't give two shits if they once wrote something mildly approving of a centrist or whatever, right now they're knocking it out of the park pointing out the government's wilful threshing of the poor and are one of the only people doing so, at the expense of their own health)

The last two tweets in the chain are particularly good:

https://twitter.com/BootstrapCook/status/1509818648252366850?t=G-nVIIOX-fKIm7uzQZlh1A&s=19

haakman
May 5, 2011
I enjoy reading her stuff. She makes the point that the economy is fertilised by the ashes of the poor and i agree, but the problem is that

A) The Tories know this and it's part of the plan.

B) A large proportion of the voting population know AND agree. I always remember that QT where JC mentioned the poorest in society get hit by climate and the audience... loving groaned. I think about that moment a lot recently.

poo poo's bleak

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/apr/01/covid-infections-at-all-time-high-in-england-ons-data-reveals

These April Fools articles are getting a bit tasteless.

Oh. :(

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

Better that than building a new boat I guess, but I'd rather the boat gets sold & the money goes to the exchequer to fund vital services. So it is obviously an April Fool's gag because it's half-way to a decent idea from this government.

If they're talking about the Phi, the one they seized from South Quay (NOT CANARY WHARF FUCKS SAKE) it's nowhere near big enough. The point of the Britannia wasn't just that it was somewhere for Her Maj to work on her tan, it was effectively an entire diplomatic mission and so could accommodate 200 or more staff (including a Royal Marine band), visiting dignitaries and their staff, as well as the royal household itself. The Britannia's closer in size (and construction) to a mid-sized warship than one of these little fibreglass gin palaces.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
A floating Epstein island.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
UKMT Spring 2022 - Check the Date.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I've been wondering for ages but can't work it out, so I'll just resign myself to looking like a dumbass and ask - what does the current thread title actually refer to (besides pancake day obvs)?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I've been wondering for ages but can't work it out, so I'll just resign myself to looking like a dumbass and ask - what does the current thread title actually refer to (besides pancake day obvs)?

Plandemic, the big conspiracy theory about how covid is a sinister plot to... Do something. Wake up, sheeple!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hand-fed baby bird
May 13, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

Also if anyone is interested, Manic Street Preachers live at a very small venue in Cardiff (Clwb Ifor Bach) is about to start on Radio 6. Not for everyone but I figure there must be some dad music fans here.

I’m sad that they’re now considered dad music but really glad you pointed this out. Cheers.