Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

KitConstantine posted:

Current status around Kyiv, including settlements reported re-captured today:
https://twitter.com/Nrg8000/status/1509862876433235972?s=20&t=Kp5wCddV77A_PRdo1WfgMQ

Yeah I just checked the livemap and the difference from yesterday are huge. Both northwest and east of Kiev, a complete retreat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Mi-28 shot down, skip to 0:54

https://twitter.com/SputnikATO/status/1509877562960494593?cxt=HHwWgoC-qZrplPQpAAAA

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

About drat time.

A lot of stories about dicks in the Moscow Times today. LOL

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

quote:

We are now hearing from the Kremlin as Russia responds to the alleged Ukrainian attack on a Russian oil depot in Belgorod.

The Kremlin says that the strike on the fuel depot does not create comfortable conditions to continue peace talks, Reuters reports.

Bombing a maternity hospital: creating comfortable conditions for peace talks.
Enemy blowing up a fuel depot: not creating more comfortable conditions to continue peace talks.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
So, looks like the Russians weren’t lying about their withdrawal from Kyiv huh

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Looks like they are pulling the "Long distance random missile launches" and got caught. Oops.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

smug n stuff posted:

Technically not, but its anything but orderly.

I would not be surprised if communication was so bad that that pocket we're seeing now in the northwest had no idea there was supposed to even be a retreat until it was too late.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

smug n stuff posted:

The problem is they are still doing a fighting retreat, its not just a withdrawal, and its very likely they are just being moved east to attack again after refit and resupply.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

CommieGIR posted:

The problem is they are still doing a fighting retreat, its not just a withdrawal, and its very likely they are just being moved east to attack again after refit and resupply.

Yeah regardless of how it's characterized, the intention is clearly to redirect resources to try and seize Donbas and sue for peace.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

smug n stuff posted:

depends whether it was actually planned or it's rout

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

CommieGIR posted:

I font think ”fighting retreat” is the word, or even ”withdrawal”

I think the term is ”rout” since they seem to be leaving behind unscuttled equipment.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

About drat time.

A lot of stories about dicks in the Moscow Times today. LOL

That piece of territory ought to have been ceded to Poland in any case. It has no historical connection to Russia at all, other than the Russians seized Konisberg in 1945 and renamed it.

PS. I don’t think Lithuania is going to launch an invasion of Kaliningrad, nor do I think they should; however, it has always struck me as ridiculous the Russians annexed this after the Second World War and did not either cede it back to the GDR or give it to Poland.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Regarding the two generals Zelenskyy fired - apparently Russian infiltration into the Ukrainian security apparatus has been a concern for some time. Some articles linked in his comments, one from 2014 and one from 2019 - the more recent being specifically about how one of Zelenskyy's goals with his presidency was to eliminate spies in the security services.
https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1509857647452999710?s=20&t=Kp5wCddV77A_PRdo1WfgMQ

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60954565

quote:

You may remember that French actor Gerard Depardieu took up Russian citizenship in 2013 after leaving France for tax reasons.

The star, who received his Russian passport in person from Vladimir Putin, has now accused the Russian president of "crazy, unacceptable excesses" in Ukraine.

The comments have led to a response from the Kremlin, with Mr Putin's spokesman, Dmitry Peskov, saying the actor probably did not completely understand the situation in Ukraine and offered to explain it.

Excuse my French but... :lmao: gently caress you tax dodger!

Hope he gets a special reception for his events in Paris.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Dwesa posted:

depends whether it was actually planned or it's rout

I mean comparing how long it took for UA to fully recapture Irpin, to how fast they're covering territory the last couple of days, it doesn't seem like they're encountering hardly any resistance.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

d64
Jan 15, 2003
Even after the sanctions do start having a big effect on daily lives, whenever that is, I think it'll take a long time before they start being a political problem. At first if anything they probably instill more patriotism - from what I have read, the idea that the west hates Russia and Russians because of their freedoms has been very successfully driven in.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Charlotte Hornets posted:

Mi-28 shot down, skip to 0:54

[url]https://twitter.com/SputnikATO/status/1509877562960494593?cxt=HHwWgoC-qZrplPQpAAAA[url]

This looks almost too clean to be real.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

maybe the attack on the oil depot was meant to keep the russians occupied in the north so that they can't reinforce as quickly in the east?

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

ummel posted:

This looks almost too clean to be real.

Can it be a Starstreak ? These have a tiny warhead and seem to rely on kinetic energy from a hit of one or the three sub-missiles.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

ZombieLenin posted:

That piece of territory ought to have been ceded to Poland in any case. It has no historical connection to Russia at all, other than the Russians seized Konisberg in 1945 and renamed it.

I don't think they cared about this as much as they wanted a second Baltic port (or is it a third? I only know about Ust-Luga).

Burns
May 10, 2008

What a time to be alive.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

CommieGIR posted:

Why is this a problem? I would hope Russian forces would be under attack even if they are retreating. Just letting them go so they can regroup, that would be a problem.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Kofman's take on withdrawal/retreat/rout
https://twitter.com/KofmanMichael/status/1509891083370704915

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

uXs posted:

Why is this a problem? I would hope Russian forces would be under attack even if they are retreating. Just letting them go so they can regroup, that would be a problem.

They are the ones continuing to attack. Its not just them leaving, they continue to shell Kyiv for instance.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/maria_shagina/status/1509883813501022229

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

ZombieLenin posted:

PS. I don’t think Lithuania is going to launch an invasion of Kaliningrad, nor do I think they should; however, it has always struck me as ridiculous the Russians annexed this after the Second World War and did not either cede it back to the GDR or give it to Poland.

Nobody really wanted to have it. It got offered (informally) to Germany, but they outright refused. There are no Germans there, it's impoverished, heavily polluted and Germany doesn't even have a border with it. Might as well have offered it to Italy. Probably the same for Poland. Nobody wanted a city full of impoverished Russians and an environmental diaster that would have costed billions to clean up on their hands.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Also tremendous lol at the site Admin's April Fool's thing lol

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

A beaten army, no, an uncontrolled mob ran towards the border in senseless panic.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Better get that in writing and singed for CYA reasons

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Randarkman posted:

A beaten army, no, an uncontrolled mob ran towards the border in senseless panic.

We're talking about the current withdrawal, not the initial invasion.

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

FishMcCool posted:

I am Jack's complete lack of surprise...

Honestly, I'm really getting into the uncomfortable mental territory of "gently caress them all". There's only so much poo poo those soldiers can do that you can excuse with "they didn't know". This isn't just Putin's war anymore, they're on the ground, they have eyes, ears, and their hands are committing the war crimes.

Just finished the BBC video of civilian bodies burnt on piles of tires to hide evidence, so yes.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
So the attack on the Russian Fuel Dump is plausible as hell. Attack helicopters are basically designed for this type of mission. In fact while the F-117 got much of the glory for taking out the radar and SAM sites in Iraq in Desert Storm, the majority were taken out by AH-64s and AH-1s basically doing the same sort of mission as was seen here, flying in very close to the ground, taking their shots and bugging out.

The fact that the target is only 20 miles or so over the boarder that means they would be only a minute or two fence in and the entire time being in any sort of danger for the pilots would be about five minutes or so. Not saying it isn't dangerous or that you wouldn't have a puckered butthole for awhile afterward. Helicopter pilots are generally nuts anyway.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Djarum posted:

So the attack on the Russian Fuel Dump is plausible as hell. Attack helicopters are basically designed for this type of mission. In fact while the F-117 got much of the glory for taking out the radar and SAM sites in Iraq in Desert Storm, the majority were taken out by AH-64s and AH-1s basically doing the same sort of mission as was seen here, flying in very close to the ground, taking their shots and bugging out.

The fact that the target is only 20 miles or so over the boarder that means they would be only a minute or two fence in and the entire time being in any sort of danger for the pilots would be about five minutes or so. Not saying it isn't dangerous or that you wouldn't have a puckered butthole for awhile afterward. Helicopter pilots are generally nuts anyway.

Its more suprising because Russia supposedly has really good radar and AA coverage, but apparently didn't expect Helicopters vs medium to high altitude aircraft.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Its more suprising because Russia supposedly has really good radar and AA coverage, but apparently didn't expect Helicopters vs medium to high altitude aircraft.

I feel like "supposedly" is doing a lot of heavy lifting there.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

CommieGIR posted:

probably. but this (as of now) is Ukraine's doolittle raid, unless russia is really that much of paper tiger ghost army. i doubt they will be able to pull it off again. least in that area.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

ZombieLenin posted:

Just as America’s most ridiculous foreign policy decisions always seem to be driven by oil Russias most ridiculous and aggressive foreign policy decisions are almost always driven by a desire for ice-free ports

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Dapper_Swindler posted:

probably. but this (as of now) is Ukraine's doolittle raid, unless russia is really that much of paper tiger ghost army. i doubt they will be able to pull it off again. least in that area.

If that airfield they kept leaving aircraft out to get bombed over and over again is typical strategy, we can assume they're going to put out the fire and store some more fuel there.

"They'll never expect us to do something so stupid!"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Randarkman posted:

I feel like "supposedly" is doing a lot of heavy lifting there.

We know they have excellent coverage over Poland and Ukraine because the radar can be detected by satellite.

https://hackaday.com/2022/03/02/you-can-find-military-radars-on-publicly-available-satellite-data/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Its a good point that they created the miles long queue going in, are they just going abandon everything going out if anothet one occurs?