Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That niftycase is super.. nifty. The midi integration in the box is a big time attraction.

Any opinions on how it compares to the Intellijel stuff with their 1u midi module? It ends up being way more expensive but I really like the concept of that 1u row for an out of the way spot for mults, outputs, and a scope.

I've been trying real hard to not get sucked into eurorack but it's just so loving cool. VCV is excellent but it misses out on the really juicy modules. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
It seems like more 1U stuff is coming in the near future, but at the moment it feels very extra.

I ended up getting the 7U, 104 because the value proposition of the size, weight and build quality outweighs anything else in the price range.

That said, if I lived in the UK I think I would get a custom Damaru case.

This is what I'm rolling with, for reference:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1839839

There's a Monome Crow and I2CMidi in the adatper.

I'm excited to see what people come out with. ST Modular has some neat 1U stuff and Calsynth is distributing for them now.

Paratek also has some cool poo poo, but can't really order from them right now.

I've heard some negative things about the build quality of the Endorphines stuff.

Beaucoup Cuckoo fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 1, 2022

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Rolo posted:

Minor software victory tonight. After lots of trial and error I got Koala and Loopy playing together nicely on the same iPad screen.

Koala plays through the inter-app input of Loopy, which is monitored through the speakers. The recording threshold of a new loop triggers when I start playing anything in Koala. Then I mirror the entire thing to my TV so I can jam on it through my sound system. Tomorrow I’m gonna try and see how I can get my Launchpad involved.

This is freeing up my MacBook for my current VCV obsession, which I’m going to be sampling into Koala soon :ducksiren::ducksiren::ducksiren:

Does Loopy support AUV3? You can assign pads to channels in Koala and then load them into AUM, I wonder if you can do the same with loopy then you can do things like mute your hi hats or snare or your sample slices.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Matt Zerella posted:

Does Loopy support AUV3? You can assign pads to channels in Koala and then load them into AUM, I wonder if you can do the same with loopy then you can do things like mute your hi hats or snare or your sample slices.

It does. The supporting patch for Koala was like 2.99, which was happily forked over. The bang-for-buck of the app still bewilders me.

As for utilizing it, I'm still tinkering. I've so far gotten the clocks to sync so recording from one to the other can be timed perfectly, or I can just play sequences and loops on top of each other more easily. Throwing them into something like AUM sounds good for the future, the short term plan right now is to make ~16 basic loops after creating them in Koala, then just play them in and out progressively with Loopy.

Basically I'm copying the Launchpad app but with more creative freedom and software that will actually sell you a license in 2022.

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Modulargrid is a great place to see what options are out there and to plan a potential setup. Definitely recommend it. You can also look at other racks for ideas, but I haven't done much of that -- can't speak to how useful that'd be without curation.

Also, if you end up getting your feet wet, don't make the same mistake I made and try to buy power and finagle your own case in the beginning unless you're very into DIY. The Happy Ending Kit and the Niftycase are really good starting options I wish I'd gone with, since they have power built in and they retain their value pretty well, and both offer a good amount of space. Might feel weird to spend that much on just a case, but unless you're building the power module from scratch, power alone's gonna set you back about $100 due to all the gotchas. The HEK is better bang for your buck, but the Niftycase is more portable and has some handy utilities.

I forgot to reply but thanks for the info!

Rolo fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 1, 2022

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Every day I thank the heavens that I never developed an interest in modular rack synths because I would die of starvation buried under a big pile of gear.

I mean I’m always in danger of dying under a big pile of gear, but aside from that..

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 1, 2022

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My main issue is I have four hobbies that are massive money sinks so after a while it gets kind of hard to justify buying anything because really how much does one person need.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
*emerges from pile of 3.5mm cables*

don't do eurorack. not even once.

*dives back into cable pile*

it's a pretty golden age to get into it, though. with research and some patience you can get a flexible system started for a few hundo. it's nowhere near the cost-silliness it was 5-6y ago, and i have to extol the virtues of making (in my case stumbling into) electro-ambient computery whatever "music" on a super tactile not-computer. tiptop's new buchla reissues are monumental and secondhand doepfer / new ladik aren't flashy but excellent, and there's a billion mutable clones if that's your thing.

or yeah do the sensible thing & download vcv (an all-instruo rack alone, for free, to dick around with, should actually not be legal)

spider wisdom fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 1, 2022

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
More like VCV Crack 2

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

spider wisdom posted:

*emerges from pile of 3.5mm cables*

don't do eurorack. not even once.

*dives back into cable pile*

it's a pretty golden age to get into it, though. with research and some patience you can get a flexible system started for a few hundo. it's nowhere near the cost-silliness it was 5-6y ago, and i have to extol the virtues of making (in my case stumbling into) electro-ambient computery whatever "music" on a super tactile not-computer. tiptop's new buchla reissues are monumental and secondhand doepfer / new ladik aren't flashy but excellent, and there's a billion mutable clones if that's your thing.

or yeah do the sensible thing & download vcv (an all-instruo rack alone, for free, to dick around with, should actually not be legal)

My partner color organized my eurorack cables

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

spider wisdom posted:

it's a pretty golden age to get into it, though. with research and some patience you can get a flexible system started for a few hundo.

That definitely isn't happening. The modules on my must have list are over $1000 alone. :v:

I'll just give it a couple weeks, hopefully the craving will subside and I can continue to be happy with vcv.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

xzzy posted:

That definitely isn't happening. The modules on my must have list are over $1000 alone. :v:

i just hope one of those isn't a black & gold maths lol. jk do yr thang

it's a lot like pedals imo — sky's kinda the limit but there are definitely alternatives for the budget / the-gently caress's-this-all-about minded, and in that space you can more than get by with boss, ibanez, et al. you'll def pony up for a unique euro circuit, or you can pay out the nose for a verbos or cwejman that does its thing really really well, or whatever else you want, totally.

but a tiptop 258t, 281t, a noise reap loafs or any other dedicated modulation thing, and a diy or used doepfer LC case & cables will be [way?] under 1k. noobs looking into the thing (sounds like maybe not you, xzzy) should realize patience and experimentation are rewarded regardless of the module & how much you spend, and in most cases with enough utilities you can cover a shitload of ground. it's taken me a hot minute to see it but less is a lot more in eurorackland, or at least eventually gives one nice parameters to play inside (esp if you don't want to drop $$$).

also buy a brand new ladik module direct from ladik and you'll get a nifty plastic cable hanger for those who don't know!

Chainclaw posted:

My partner color organized my eurorack cables

go marry or otherwise commit yourself to your partner today e: \/ sweeeet

spider wisdom fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 1, 2022

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

spider wisdom posted:

it's a lot like pedals imo — sky's kinda the limit but there are definitely alternatives for the budget / the-gently caress's-this-all-about minded, and in that space you can more than get by with boss, ibanez, et al. you'll def pony up for a unique euro circuit, or you can pay out the nose for a verbos or cwejman that does its thing really really well, or whatever else you want, totally.

but a tiptop 258t, 281t, a noise reap loafs or any other dedicated modulation thing, and a diy or used doepfer LC case & cables will be [way?] under 1k. noobs looking into the thing (sounds like maybe not you, xzzy) should realize patience and experimentation are rewarded regardless of the module & how much you spend, and in most cases with enough utilities you can cover a shitload of ground. it's taken me a hot minute to see it but less is a lot more in eurorackland, or at least eventually gives one nice parameters to play inside (esp if you don't want to drop $$$).

also buy a brand new ladik module direct from ladik and you'll get a nifty plastic cable hanger for those who don't know!

go marry or otherwise commit yourself to your partner today

We're whatever modern adults do for a permanent long term relationship instead of getting married, so we're committed.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

spider wisdom posted:

Yeah, I'm really into glitchy stuff so things like a data bender and ruina versio are the only reason I care about physical eurorack at all. I would fully intend to drive it all over midi with something from expert sleepers.. so the price tag adds up fast.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Novation drum station worth $300? What u guys think

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

some kinda jackal posted:

Might not be ideal form factor but I guess it proves that these things exist, so you just need to find one with enough good ratings and that looks like it's obviously meant for usb data and not just power.

Solved! I ended up with this guy from ANKER:

Charges my iPad, MacBook and OP1. USB audio between the OP1 and iPad. Launchpad X to iPad.

Kinda surprised it all just kinda worked. Plus I get a LAN port!

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

xzzy posted:

Yeah, I'm really into glitchy stuff so things like a data bender and ruina versio are the only reason I care about physical eurorack at all. I would fully intend to drive it all over midi with something from expert sleepers.. so the price tag adds up fast.

you need a 100 grit yesterday
(less truly glitchy in the digital sense though. worth it for the brass points)

oh yeah. midi-ing in eurorack is doable but gets silly expensive. as much as i love a gigantic fully synced youtube synth getup and also appreciate analog patch programming... listen, i'm just here to channel some caterina barbieri and andy stott energy.

spider wisdom fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 1, 2022

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

xzzy posted:

My main issue is I have four hobbies that are massive money sinks so after a while it gets kind of hard to justify buying anything because really how much does one person need.

The trick is to start a fifth so you can rotate between them more before noticing you're progressing at none of them. Works for me at least.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

No knock on you, but the Synthrotek dude is a really lovely edgelord and his build quality sucks.

The Niftycase, however, I can't recommend enough. I had two of them plus the ears before I lucked into a used Doepfer 9U case. I still have one of mine because I overflowed the 9U almost immediately. The I/O on the Niftycase is a huge bonus and means you don't have to spend money on certain utilities right away.

Modulargrid is absolutely a great place to get lost and go window shopping, but if you're looking for low(er)-cost entry into Eurorack, some sites have "budget" pages for that sort of thing. Patchwerks in particular has a great one.

Antumbra/After Later produces mostly clones/reworks of Mutable Instruments stuff on the cheap, and their quality and performance are great. Dreadbox has the Chromatic Series that's a bunch of colorful, versatile modules - I have the three-stage delay and love it. And Doepfer tends to be no-nonsense but affordable and well-made - their version of the Wasp filter is more or less a necessity. And a lot of the Erica Synths Pico modules are really great for a small HP footprint and lots of utility.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

xzzy posted:

it gets easier for me with age because I know what I want.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Haha no worries! For the power setup, it depends on your needs.

Let's say you wanted a small rig. Depending on HOW small, one option would be USB power. Synthrotek has a PCB for $6 that you could use with a flying bus cable. And then there's this dude, MMI, selling his PCBs over Reverb. A bit more than Synthrotek, but it's open source (you can find his site here) and it seems to use better components.

Not sure what the BOM comes out to for those in total, though. Depends on where you're getting the parts. Most of the cost likely comes from the DC converter. The Synthrotek lists two options which both show up as out of stock on Mouser, priced at $12 and $16. Mouser DOES have the MMI's converter, and it's $25. And it's a Meanwell, so it's good poo poo.

You CAN find USB power stuff like this elsewhere, but when you factor in shipping, it tends to get toward the price range where you're better off getting a power module like an uZeus/microZeus or something from Befaco, which gives you more room to grow.

That doesn't sound too expensive. Not for right now but it has possibilities. Thanks so much, may have to go there at some point. Kinda busy RN though, be back laters.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Rolo posted:

Solved! I ended up with this guy from ANKER:

Charges my iPad, MacBook and OP1. USB audio between the OP1 and iPad. Launchpad X to iPad.

Kinda surprised it all just kinda worked. Plus I get a LAN port!

Oh poo poo I actually kind of want that for my MBP. I have a really annoying hard plastic dock with two USB-C jacks that’s supposed to look like it’s part of the macbook but in reality it’s just super awkward. This is pretty cool and I’ll probably pick one up if you’re still happy with it, next time I find myself needing to plug my stupid dock in and remembering how much I hate it.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cb1FUcPMMPf/?utm_medium=copy_link

If I'm reading this correctly you can now sample from YouTube and Spotify directly from Koala :catstare:

E: goddammit I hate April fools

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Oh poo poo I actually kind of want that for my MBP. I have a really annoying hard plastic dock with two USB-C jacks that’s supposed to look like it’s part of the macbook but in reality it’s just super awkward. This is pretty cool and I’ll probably pick one up if you’re still happy with it, next time I find myself needing to plug my stupid dock in and remembering how much I hate it.

It’s exactly as advertised so far and I love it, just be aware one of the USB C ports aren’t data.

Must be something about the bandwidth of USB C that doesn’t like branching because I can’t find a Data C to 5xData C to save my life.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Rolo posted:

Must be something about the bandwidth of USB C that doesn’t like branching because I can’t find a Data C to 5xData C to save my life.

It's a power thing, each outlet needs to supply 4.5 watts and more ports are gonna mean more draw, not even sketchy chinese brands want to get ruined setting customers on fire by pumping all that juice through a $10 hub. The higher tier ones implement "smart power" features to limit/boost power to devices that ask for it. They tend to be bigger and advertise much higher wattage (the power delivery specification, which provides up to 100 watts).

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
That makes sense considering how warm this little guy gets.

Still wish apple added more ports to these things. 2 C ports for data and charging on the MacBook Air is lame. One single port on the iPad is treason.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Would you just look at this beautiful wizardry?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXQIlAm5D3Y

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

B33rChiller posted:

Would you just look at this beautiful wizardry?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXQIlAm5D3Y

It looks and sounds loving amazing. But goddamit these boutique guys:

quote:

It is resolutely an instrument to be played by musicians, not machines. Therefore it has no MIDI and does not contain LFOs or internal sequencers.

Yes, you can get a $155USD MIDI bridge for it, but the thing already costs $4400USD, cmon.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Whoever heard of a musician using MIDI or sequencers, anyway?

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Do they mean no synced LFOs? Otherwise thats a really weird omission for the kind of thing they're building.

Kinda reminds me of where people take their Serge/Buchla stuff, but in a polysynth. Maybe the first thing I've ever seen to spark the reaction "that's cool but it would be cheaper to do in eurorack"

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3
Gas part 2: Revenge of the gas

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljwUlY9WW1I

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I mean Jupiter is a GAS giant so no one should be surprised here

:swoon:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Wowza congrats

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3

I mean Jupiter is a GAS giant so no one should be surprised here

:swoon:

Ayyyyy

Yeah I’m pumped about it. Didn’t love the prophet 10 rev 4, for whatever reason just couldn’t connect with it at all, so was looking to flip it and replace it with something, and then this popped up an hour drive from me. Went and tested it out, much more of an immediate “this grabs me” factor, more intuitive with how I work. Got the prophet for cheap-ish when I picked it up so should be able to sell it for what I paid for it no problem.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
That Cyclone TT-303 looks really neat, anyone have one?
Just wondering if its worth getting.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

if you want a 303 its definitely worth getting

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Here’s a stupid one I’ve somehow never tried: I’ve used splitters to send 3.5mm output to 2 things, but can I use one to send 2 sources into one input?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I googled this a while ago when I was thinking of hooking a bunch of stuff into my samplers. I think a Y splitter will let you do one-to-many, but there’s some signal muckery that makes it either sub-optimal or dangerous (depending on circuitry if I remember correctly) to sum many-to-one without active electronics.

I’d be lying if I could quote actual facts on this though.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Rolo posted:

Here’s a stupid one I’ve somehow never tried: I’ve used splitters to send 3.5mm output to 2 things, but can I use one to send 2 sources into one input?

How's it wired? TRS ones don't work but they fail in different ways depending on the inputs. Balanced mono input gets sorta close but a lot of things can screw it up

TS ones (like eurorack mult cables) do... if all the inputs and outputs are of copacetic resistances. (Or can potentially blow things up depending on what corners were cut)

Decent discussion here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/modular/comments/ro83vb/using_buffered_mult_in_reverse/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

DreadUnknown posted:

That Cyclone TT-303 looks really neat, anyone have one?
Just wondering if its worth getting.

I have the first version of it. I like the sequencer more than the TD-3's but I mainly use a tracker for sequencing so its kind of irrelevant for me. It's worth getting if you think you'd want to do dawless jams. Otherwise, I'd recommend the TD-3 cause it's cheaper and has midi thru.

e: The TT-303 v2 seems to have midi thru so that makes it more attractive imo