Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Alctel posted:

Are cases even a good measure anymore? At least in BC it seems like most new cases aren't reported as they are giving out rapid tests for free and the messaging is, if you get sick, stay home and don't bother the hospital staff unless you need to

given that these cases that are being reported are from people who felt sick enough to get tested at their dr's office or the ER, yeah, I'd say its still a good indication that things are trending upwards (though who knows by how much).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Oracle posted:

given that these cases that are being reported are from people who felt sick enough to get tested at their dr's office or the ER, yeah, I'd say its still a good indication that things are trending upwards (though who knows by how much).

I kinda doubt that. Here in central Europe it's sort of become regular to do one or two rapid test each week, regardless of health. If they turn out positive, afterwards they do a PCR test and if that one is positive they are officially positive. That often happens long before they feel any averse effects and sometimes those don't appear whatsoever.

For those who are boosted, catching covid has become getting a particularly nasty flu and will be annoying for a week. You do not want it, since it will mess up your body and schedules, but it's not the end of the world.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 31, 2022

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I call upon Denny's to release up to date stats. :colbert:

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Herstory Begins Now posted:

That's interesting btw because it's basically suggesting that some amount of the anti/nonvax sentiment came about independent of antivax disinfo and was instead just because people didn't give a poo poo about who it was killing. Which is not without precedent, either.

People's attitudes towards vaccines and diseases are influenced by a lot of factors (and it obvious varies from person to person). Reporting of racial disparity having an effect definitely doesn't preclude an effect from anti-vax disinformation, or even say anything about their relative importance or interaction.

Alctel posted:

Are cases even a good measure anymore? At least in BC it seems like most new cases aren't reported as they are giving out rapid tests for free and the messaging is, if you get sick, stay home and don't bother the hospital staff unless you need to

Testing changes are likely affecting the amount of undercounting, but it's not changing so rapidly that increases or decreases* in new cases are useless. I wouldn't directly compare case counts from today (or positivity rates) to last summer without some sort of variable undercounting model, though.

* Factoring in data dumps and shifts to periodic reporting.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Mar 31, 2022

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

cant cook creole bream posted:

You do not want it, since it will mess up your body and schedules, but it's not the end of the world.

Had a friend who only just made her sister's wedding last week after testing neg at the end of a week of having COVID, and another friend who's caught it and had to cancel his first week of shows at the comedy festival. It feels like going forward, for 99% of people, the disruption to daily life is going to be the biggest issue. Which I think will end up being the next big step in the adjustment of the broader public's attitude: a willingness/acceptability of just carrying on normally anyway even if you have it. (To be clear, I personally am not in favour of that, it just feels like what will happen.)

I know that in the UK they removed the legal requirement to quarantine if you test positive, which feels insane, but I suppose at the same time I have no idea how much meaningful enforcement is going on in Australia. At the moment we're relying on social opprobrium for that enforcement - if you were to mention in a packed pub that you actively have COVID I reckon most people would tell you to gently caress off and go home. Not sure how long that will last though.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

Chikimiki posted:

Apparently wild type vaccine is plenty sufficient against all other variants, and variant-specific vaccines have unfortunately not yielded better results.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2022/02/monkey-study-casts-doubt-on-need-for-an-omicron-specific-booster/

Well that is super interesting, thanks for the link! This part was definitely not a biological phenomena I had ever heard of before:

quote:

the finding falls in line with the concept of "original antigenic sin" (aka antigenic imprinting). This idea suggests that, when the immune system is presented with a pathogen similar to one it has fought before, the encounter will activate the immune memory from the prior interaction. In other words, a response to an omicron-specific vaccine will build off the responses to prior versions of SARS-CoV-2 encountered.

That's exactly what the vaccine researchers saw in their new monkey study.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

DancingMachine posted:

Well that is super interesting, thanks for the link! This part was definitely not a biological phenomena I had ever heard of before:

Something else worth learning about is somatic hypermutation. Basically the immune system has a built-in variant-busting mechanism. What it means is that B-cells specific to one antigen go into this process where their genes are cut up and reshuffled in random ways, creating a near-endless diversity of antibodies for any current or even future variants of a pathogen. This process takes time (months), and is also dependent on repeated exposure iirc (be it virus or vax), but it means that variant-specific vaccines might not be that much better at eliciting an antibody response for the variant than wild type would.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

freebooter posted:

I know that in the UK they removed the legal requirement to quarantine if you test positive, which feels insane, but I suppose at the same time I have no idea how much meaningful enforcement is going on in Australia. At the moment we're relying on social opprobrium for that enforcement - if you were to mention in a packed pub that you actively have COVID I reckon most people would tell you to gently caress off and go home. Not sure how long that will last though.

It is insane. As of today all free testing has been permanently ended, as have any remaining restrictions (of which there were vanishingly few anyway). No plans for further vaccination outside of very specific groups, either, so immunity is going to continuously wane.

It won't just be that people can go about their business even if they've tested positive; they won't even know if they have covid in the first place. This just as hospitalisations are already getting up to the January peak, with deaths, as always, likely to follow.

It's weird and horrible that the best case scenario is that the next month or so is going to be such an unmanageable shitshow that the government panics and reverses course (too late, of course), but I honestly don't think any amount of hospitalisations or deaths is going to make them change their mind now (and of course, if repeated waves of uncontrolled covid wind up being a national mass disabling event, that's the problem of whoever's in charge five, ten, twenty years down the line).

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Barry Foster posted:

It is insane. As of today all free testing has been permanently ended, as have any remaining restrictions (of which there were vanishingly few anyway). No plans for further vaccination outside of very specific groups, either, so immunity is going to continuously wane.

It won't just be that people can go about their business even if they've tested positive; they won't even know if they have covid in the first place. This just as hospitalisations are already getting up to the January peak, with deaths, as always, likely to follow.

It's weird and horrible that the best case scenario is that the next month or so is going to be such an unmanageable shitshow that the government panics and reverses course (too late, of course), but I honestly don't think any amount of hospitalisations or deaths is going to make them change their mind now (and of course, if repeated waves of uncontrolled covid wind up being a national mass disabling event, that's the problem of whoever's in charge five, ten, twenty years down the line).

What would you say is the general attitude towards the idea of not self-isolating if you have COVID? Like, if you're in a workplace and someone shows up and is like "oh yeah I have a bad cough and feel kinda poo poo" (let alone "I literally just RAT tested positive for COVID") what would the attitude of the co-workers be towards that?

I am still WFH in Australia so I can't claim to gauge the popular sentiment here, but I do know that legally you and your household members have to self-isolate and the Health Department may actually do a spot check on you.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

freebooter posted:

What would you say is the general attitude towards the idea of not self-isolating if you have COVID? Like, if you're in a workplace and someone shows up and is like "oh yeah I have a bad cough and feel kinda poo poo" (let alone "I literally just RAT tested positive for COVID") what would the attitude of the co-workers be towards that?

I am still WFH in Australia so I can't claim to gauge the popular sentiment here, but I do know that legally you and your household members have to self-isolate and the Health Department may actually do a spot check on you.

It's honestly hard to tell, at least personally speaking. My partner and I work at a university, I work back-end covid stuff from home, so for me it's hard to tell, and she's a lecturer. Most of her colleagues don't seem bothered at all, and no-one wears masks anymore except for her and one other person (both, not coincidentally, immunosuppressed). The majority of them probably would turn up to work with a cough/feeling unwell, because despite the university's recent PLEASE DON'T COME IN IF YOU'RE ILL stuff, you don't really get to stop working if you're teaching, cos there's no-one there to pick up the slack.

Like, the general impression I get is that the relentless COVID IS OVER messaging doesn't necessarily get people all the way, but it does soften people up. Like, if you pushed them, they'd say they're still concerned, but then their behaviour doesn't really match up. Maybe it'll be different if/when hospitalisations and deaths start going crazy again.

I'm certain I've seen polls where the public is still strongly in favour of mandated self-isolation and especially ongoing free testing, though.

So many people I know have had it in the last few weeks. Many of them are/have been really sick, and several are dealing with long term issues from the January wave. My friend's 6 month old baby is currently in the ICU with covid. It just loving sucks.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Literally half an hour ago it was reported that 1 in 13 people in the UK currently has covid, and nearly 1 in 10 in the southwest, where I live :shepicide:

Going full bunker mode for the next few weeks, I think.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

thighlandertwo posted:

Got a sore throat and now headache a few days after being in a movie theater. Wasn't packed and I started masked, but had to remove it as the humidity caused congestion.

No fever, BO level normal, no other symptoms (no nasal symptoms, not even coughing). Ordered my free tests (can't afford to buy tests right now), but even if I have covid I imagine they'll arrive long after the detection window anyway.

I'm actually hoping it's a virus; the alternative would suggest I'm becoming allergic to my cat or some other household allergen. Took an anti-histimine, hasn't done anything for the symptoms, so probably not allergies, though. Spring cold would be preferable to covid, of course.

loving weird to see a new troll account born

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

loving weird to see a new troll account born

highlander ii is definitely the worst thing the franchise ever produced and is also the worst movie Sean Connery was in by miles

also, isn't the average price of a movie now like fifteen dollars? so for the cost of seeing like 50 movies in a theater you can get a nice short throw projector, which will work in surprisingly tight spaces, and have a 8-15' screen at home, and not pay dumb amounts for food or be told "hey you can't smoke pot in here", "everyone you are sitting next to has COVID", etc.

we got a projector in 2016 and movie theaters seem like a weird inconvenience. if i want a social movie experience, we have multiple couches in the living room. Granted, I am a contrarian on this, but I am dismayed that the theater industry survived covid, it sees very needless.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 1, 2022

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cabbages and Kings posted:

we got a projector in 2016 and movie theaters seem like a weird inconvenience. if i want a social movie experience, we have multiple couches in the living room. Granted, I am a contrarian on this, but I am dismayed that the theater industry survived covid, it sees very needless.
Jury's still out on that one. I have a friend who works for Regal (and has forever); he left one theater that was closing and moved to another that is basically deserted, with less than a few dozen customers a day. Niche theaters that serve beer and show old movies and stuff should be able to continue, but the big multiplexes are still in serious danger.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Mellow Seas posted:

Jury's still out on that one. I have a friend who works for Regal (and has forever); he left one theater that was closing and moved to another that is basically deserted, with less than a few dozen customers a day. Niche theaters that serve beer and show old movies and stuff should be able to continue, but the big multiplexes are still in serious danger.

I feel bad for displaced workers, but I'll shed no tears for multiplexes, they suck.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I feel bad for displaced workers, but I'll shed no tears for multiplexes, they suck.
Yeah, it's not even a very good job (he has an economics degree and has been working there for like 20 years and barely clears $20/hr), he's just too lazy to get something else and frugal enough that it works for him. (And of course he got Covid there.) Obviously for some workers it would suck, but them closing would be doing him a favor, probably.

Did keep me from paying to see any movies from 2002 through maybe 2012, when they got luxury seating and corporate cracked down on letting friends in free.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 1, 2022

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

cant cook creole bream posted:

I kinda doubt that. Here in central Europe it's sort of become regular to do one or two rapid test each week, regardless of health. If they turn out positive, afterwards they do a PCR test and if that one is positive they are officially positive. That often happens long before they feel any averse effects and sometimes those don't appear whatsoever.

For those who are boosted, catching covid has become getting a particularly nasty flu and will be annoying for a week. You do not want it, since it will mess up your body and schedules, but it's not the end of the world.

Amazing how bad this is.

Catching covid when boosted means your chance of dying is very low. But long covid still happens. And having a long term chronic illness in the USA isn’t exactly cheap

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
e: April Fools is dumb

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 1, 2022

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

byeee

The Oldest Man fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 1, 2022

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

The Oldest Man posted:

Does the flu cause random heart attacks and PEs or permanent debilitating fatigue

Occasionally, yes it does! Long flu isn't as common as long COVID but it exists.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

ohhhhh they got me too

The Oldest Man fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 1, 2022

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Would you prefer if I gave you the same answer? Because I would have done that.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

gohuskies posted:

Occasionally, yes it does! Long flu isn't as common as long COVID but it exists.

Also fun things like narcolepsy.

thighlandertwo
Jan 30, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The free RAT tests for my sibling and I both came back negative. I progressed to congestion, headache, and constipation so I might be past the detection window, but they only just developed light coughing symptoms this morning. So, whatever this is (probably a reaction to the whackass cold snap we just had), it's... probably not covid?

HazCat
May 4, 2009

thighlandertwo posted:

The free RAT tests for my sibling and I both came back negative. I progressed to congestion, headache, and constipation so I might be past the detection window, but they only just developed light coughing symptoms this morning. So, whatever this is (probably a reaction to the whackass cold snap we just had), it's... probably not covid?

How many times did you test? RATs are only ~60% accurate for negatives and you're meant to test serially to get accurate results.

Anecdotally I know multiple people who had to test 5+ days in a row before they got a positive test.

Also did you do nose swabs or nose+throat swabs?

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

gohuskies posted:

A lot of other viruses are like that as well

They are really lovely things

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

HazCat posted:

Also did you do nose swabs or nose+throat swabs?

I don't think there's any good evidence supporting the throat swab thing. It's based on anecdotes and (professional) opinion. Have there been any proper studies done already?

The reason I'm suspicious is that the lateral flow test are sensitive to PH, so if you for example swab your throat too quickly after drinking say a coke, you are likely to get a false positive. Doesn't have to be anything particularly acidic either.

This might explain some of these anecdotes about people testing negative in their nose but positive in the throat.

Has there been any science done on this subject since this came up a couple months ago?

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

highlander ii is definitely the worst thing the franchise ever produced and is also the worst movie Sean Connery was in by miles

And somehow the Highlander Anime OVA was the best thing the franchise ever produced after the original somehow??? What a franchise

So is there any consensus on the fourth shot? It seems like there isn't a whole lot of guidance on it?

I got the booster 5 months ago and I haven't really kept up with things.

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 3, 2022

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
Not sure whether to post this here or in the China thread.

HK seems to be giving up on Covid Zero / "Dynamic Zero" regardless of whatever official statements are saying. Public areas were absolutely slammed with crowds today. The latest brilliant ideas from the government are (1) that everyone voluntarily take a rapid test and self-report their results and (2) more traditional Chinese medicine. :ughh:

While my read on the situation in mainland is far from scientific (mainly friends, family, coworkers, and social media; skewed towards but not exclusively wealthier, urban, educated, more international Chinese), it does seem like people are as pissed off as they've been since early 2020. The Confucian quote "Do not use a cannon to kill a mosquito" is making the rounds a lot. The implementation of the lockdown in Shanghai has been far clumsier than I would have expected given how much preparation they'd had. Apparently lots of issues with food distribution. Emergency units being closed to non-Covid cases. Infants separated from parents. People cramming together in lines to get tested. Frontline workers angry about how they're treated. A lot of it strikes me as the kind of normal friction you'd expect when trying to manage a project like locking down a megacity, but that's little consolation to the people affected by it.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

E: not cspam

Insanite fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 3, 2022

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Smeef posted:

Not sure whether to post this here or in the China thread.

HK seems to be giving up on Covid Zero / "Dynamic Zero" regardless of whatever official statements are saying. Public areas were absolutely slammed with crowds today. The latest brilliant ideas from the government are (1) that everyone voluntarily take a rapid test and self-report their results and (2) more traditional Chinese medicine. :ughh:

While my read on the situation in mainland is far from scientific (mainly friends, family, coworkers, and social media; skewed towards but not exclusively wealthier, urban, educated, more international Chinese), it does seem like people are as pissed off as they've been since early 2020. The Confucian quote "Do not use a cannon to kill a mosquito" is making the rounds a lot. The implementation of the lockdown in Shanghai has been far clumsier than I would have expected given how much preparation they'd had. Apparently lots of issues with food distribution. Emergency units being closed to non-Covid cases. Infants separated from parents. People cramming together in lines to get tested. Frontline workers angry about how they're treated. A lot of it strikes me as the kind of normal friction you'd expect when trying to manage a project like locking down a megacity, but that's little consolation to the people affected by it.

Similarly don't want to derail too much, but a friend who lives in Guangzhou (not far from HK or Shenzhen, which was recently on lockdown) said of the lockdowns that the will of the leader will be implemented in a socialist society, no matter what. There's mandatory nucleic acid testing every two days in her area (daily for others), concerts and public events are canceled, and things seems like they're going back to January 2020. The thing I see a lot on WeChat from people supporting lockdowns are articles saying that "we can't live with the virus because it wants to kill us, not live with us." Then again, they don't live in HK, SH, SZ or any of the other places where you can't leave your goddamn apartment.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

spankmeister posted:

I don't think there's any good evidence supporting the throat swab thing. It's based on anecdotes and (professional) opinion. Have there been any proper studies done already?

The reason I'm suspicious is that the lateral flow test are sensitive to PH, so if you for example swab your throat too quickly after drinking say a coke, you are likely to get a false positive. Doesn't have to be anything particularly acidic either.

This might explain some of these anecdotes about people testing negative in their nose but positive in the throat.

Has there been any science done on this subject since this came up a couple months ago?

It's been the recommended procedure in several provinces for months now.

First recommended in Nova Scotia based on research from Dalhousie University it was quickly incorporated into official guidance for sample collection COVID-19 Rapid Antigen Tests: How to Collect a Sample - Ontario Health

Not sure how you feel it's anecdotal if you don't look because these are all top 5 google results for "covid swab nose throat".

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

also, isn't the average price of a movie now like fifteen dollars? so for the cost of seeing like 50 movies in a theater you can get a nice short throw projector, which will work in surprisingly tight spaces, and have a 8-15' screen at home, and not pay dumb amounts for food or be told "hey you can't smoke pot in here", "everyone you are sitting next to has COVID", etc.

I just got a mini-theater style popcorn maker and the coconut butter/flavacol salt combo theaters use because I have basically resigned myself to not going to a movie for quite awhile.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I went and saw the Spiderman movie back over the xmas holiday, and I've seen one or two more since then. It's been a fine experience, no covid, no anxiety.

Sometimes its just nice to go out to the movies with your girl and get an overpriced beer :shrug:

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

How are u posted:

I went and saw the Spiderman movie back over the xmas holiday, and I've seen one or two more since then. It's been a fine experience, no covid, no anxiety.

Sometimes its just nice to go out to the movies with your girl and get an overpriced beer :shrug:

Same. What's nice is that theaters are nowhere as full as they used to be, maybe because it's spring, or because everyone is still somewhat worried about covid. But that just makes the experience nicer for those of us who do go.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Smeef posted:

The implementation of the lockdown in Shanghai has been far clumsier than I would have expected given how much preparation they'd had. Apparently lots of issues with food distribution.

https://twitter.com/Jaredtnelson/status/1510403189383876614

How are u posted:

Agreed, some things you want to see on a big screen and a home projector ain't gonna cut it. Last thing I saw was Dune in October before Omicron raised us to permanently high case levels and I don't see myself going back any time soon, going to the movies is probably the biggest non-social thing that I miss. (Though anecdotally I understand that, like flying on a plane, going to the movies is a more woeful experience in the US which as far as I can tell is because of other Americans.)

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
Glad people in this thread didn't end up like this guy then.
https://twitter.com/GenePark/status/1473763295937142791?t=8kZfroCzs-8fhPyDjzdxgA&s=19
https://twitter.com/GenePark/status/1485754494419877891?t=2ZSi_WShIZY3NnqHzRVduQ&s=19
https://twitter.com/GenePark/status/1485795793923719172?t=obDP8ZwqMdTOJnBdy_wZxA&s=19

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I would also feel dumb for ending up with "long" COVID (those tweets are a month apart) for Spider-Man, but Dune would've been worth it

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

freebooter posted:

I would also feel dumb for ending up with "long" COVID (those tweets are a month apart)

From February.
https://twitter.com/GenePark/status/1494778695365632002?t=ZptXxr2QPHOzkZ-OdXy1kw&s=19

From two weeks ago.
https://twitter.com/GenePark/status/1506031762144694273?t=ZptXxr2QPHOzkZ-OdXy1kw&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

If an anecdote is all you want, I know plenty of people who've had COVID, felt like poo poo for a week, and felt fine afterwards.

Beyond getting vaccinated I have no control over whether I develop long COVID or not if I get infected, and on a long enough timescale I have no control over whether I get infected with COVID or not. So it doesn't seem worth worrying about to me.