Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Hbomberguy posted:

Death Note has some really fun and cool moments and characters, but at best they briefly cover up how the core story and ideas they're trying to explore just aren't very interesting.
To be flippant, the core question Death Note asks the reader is "Is it bad to murder people?"
It then spends 108 chapters discovering that the answer was yes.
A brotherhood-style 'fix' of Death Note would need to make some pretty huge changes to what the story is even about. I think you might as well tell a new story in the same setting.

The premise could easily have worked as an anthology series, to the point I'm shocked they didn't go in that direction. They did a cool short with a new character a little while ago though, and put out a short story collection recently, but the collection is just that cool one-off, the pilot (which is, itself, a fun one-off that demonstrates exactly why the anthology format would rule) and a bunch of less interesting shorts about L and Near they did over the years.

I kinda love how the anthology format starts to happen organically through the process of adaptation. The anime makes a few small but clever changes but remains relatively straight, but the Japanese movies mess with the plot to surprise people who think they know what happens, and the 2017 western movie fundamentally changes the characters and effectively tells a different story (whether you wanted it or not). These aren't even really changes, they're new stories at that point. They should lean into that more. Make a dozen more Death Note stories. Give someone with a really low-stakes objective in life a Death Note. A Death Note falls into a pulping machine at a major newspaper, killing anyone named in that day's crossword. What happens when a monkey writes in the Death Note. I came up with these and I'm an idiot, so there's at least six more good ideas in here

I don't think anything but the first parts with Light and L are worth exploring further. The majority of the show is the cat & mouse game between the show and is the best part easily, it's why it was so engaging.

If you move it off that concept and move it into side stories about random murders, it's just not fun anymore. I'd also argue those short stories you mention were actually pretty bad and are examples of why whenever the series tried anything else than the cat & mouse game, it was received so badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Going back to Naomi in DN, when Light wrote her name in the Death Note, I theorized at the time I was reading that because of the way he wrote her death she wouldn't be able to kill herself in that way, thus breaking the power of the Death Note. I fully expected her to return, because surely they wouldn't kill off such a good character in such a lovely way. Right? Right?!

It took me two volumes until the end to give up on this theory

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i'm just going to put it out there - i'm open to being paid to watch 2 hours of lily orchard.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Yeah I'd do it. I need money for college.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

KingKalamari posted:

Okay, I'm just over 26 minutes into the video and all I can say is that in addition to all the problems Mother's Basement has already brought up with it, Platinum End has way too many weird, anime bullshit concepts for its own good.

Like, you can have anime tactical superhero costumes or you can have a dying god granting mortals angel powers with meticulously defined rules and hierarchy, or you can have a cast of characters with the most extra backstories and identities possible but you can't do all of them at the same time. Then it all just becomes anime plot noise...

I wonder if supehero stuff in there was just riding the overall superhero hype train and the popularity of My Hero Academy.

This is the first time i've heard of Platinum End and wow what a piece of poo poo. Good to know the writer still hates women.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Platinum End is weird because it just constantly introduces new stuff but then ditches it to get to the next plot point. Like with the superhero suit stuff, the female lead gets her suit and it is loaded with gadgets that also make her into a catgirl. Then after using it once all the catgirl stuff breaks off and it is just body armor. It basically feels like an exquisite corpse with how much stuff gets introduced and then dropped.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I watched this, and I'm not sure I buy the argument about conservatives and kids - one important thing to remember about conservatives is that they very often, though unfortunately they aren't completely exclusive in this, believe that they own their kids and can do with them whatever they want.
This, combined with them wanting to use any excuse to try and get LGBTQA++-related subjects out of their world by any means necessary seems to hint that they might be willing to use their kids as weapons in any fight, if push comes to shove.

I will say they have a multipronged approach, like they do fund an "institute for freedom" in Portugal that has this two handed way of being mostly the propaganda arm for our libertarian party (but also has to go push every other single right wing party on some sense) and what you get is this incredibly media savvy and eye catching party that for anyone who follows US politics, they are Vicent D'Onofrio's character in MIB. A propaganda arm so good they barely got a dink over anti-vaccine and anti-lockdown measures while the fascist party, which was fine with either, was pinged over it over their tone. One that skirted around our electoral propaganda laws and happily had ads during election day.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I watched this, and I'm not sure I buy the argument about conservatives and kids - one important thing to remember about conservatives is that they very often, though unfortunately they aren't completely exclusive in this, believe that they own their kids and can do with them whatever they want.
This, combined with them wanting to use any excuse to try and get LGBTQA++-related subjects out of their world by any means necessary seems to hint that they might be willing to use their kids as weapons in any fight, if push comes to shove.

I haven't watched the big joel vid yet but I would like to remind everyone that during the antivax truck protests in ontario they brought their kids along as human shields, and once the cops finally actually instituted a blockade had their kids run gas back and forth since they didn't think the cops would arrest a bunch of 10 year olds with jerry cans

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

egg tats posted:

I haven't watched the big joel vid yet but I would like to remind everyone that during the antivax truck protests in ontario they brought their kids along as human shields, and once the cops finally actually instituted a blockade had their kids run gas back and forth since they didn't think the cops would arrest a bunch of 10 year olds with jerry cans
Oh those conservatives! *cue 80s sitcom sting*

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Internet Historian is back with the Area 51 raid.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm0tUvouv-I

:allears:

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.
Fascinating Horror has a tradition every April Fools Day where he recounts a horror movie plot as a documentary. Last year it was the "Amity Bay Shark Attacks"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kw6TdB7hSo

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoHcSPDwQ4E

We got one knocking it outta the park already

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Do the Brothers Chaps count as online creators? Because Homestar Runner's had its latest semi-annual resurrection from the dead.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Drawfee is dealing with the fallout...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGlhZMnVhtc

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Oh look, Phelous is doing a Bachelorette!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i appreciate that Jacob and Julia still have their christmas lights up

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

this is so good. Everyone's 'brand' is so good for this. Karina giving herself an apology sub-plot that nobody else was doing was great.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My hero Academia is the first anime I ever really watched and I loved it so much. It’s my favorite hero thing ever.

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

The Bee posted:

Do the Brothers Chaps count as online creators? Because Homestar Runner's had its latest semi-annual resurrection from the dead.

Homestar Runner's humour has barely changed in the past two decades and I'm glad. :unsmith:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Mix. posted:

this one's kind of a weird sell for people not into magic the gathering but the channel rhystic studies released a video today that's mostly a kind of meditation on how even though a lot of magic cards are worth a lot of money, they don't necessarily have a value to them since in a vacuum it's just a card with no history or connection to it (as far as when you're looking to buy it for its use), and in almost an important contrast to that concept, the story behind and assembly of a deck composed almost entirely of cards with no monetary value (mostly due to being incredibly bad condition, and the owner explicitly refuses to use sleeves either) but incredible value in terms of the story behind each card, the people it came from, and what led it to its place in the deck. it does kind of talk about the cards and the deck itself, but its more about the connection players have to the cards in their collection and how personal value can be infinitely more important rather than monetary value.

Would you say that it is about the heart of the cards?

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

CelticPredator posted:

My hero Academia is the first anime I ever really watched and I loved it so much. It’s my favorite hero thing ever.

Yes, I too have been enjoying reading "*Boku No* Hero Academia"

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Dominic Noble dug up the book The Room was adapted from:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqW2GUhTaFo

The Lock Picking Lawyer talks about his wife's Beaver:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhuNRWskgNQ

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 1, 2022

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Solar Tornado posted:

Yes, I too have been enjoying reading "*Boku No* Hero Academia"

is this a dubs v subs style thing because

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Mr.Radar posted:

The Lock Pickkng Lawyer talks about his wife's Beaver:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhuNRWskgNQ
I love every single thing about this entire video. :allears:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Famethrowa posted:

Not even because most people watching the subbed version would see the translated title

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Famethrowa posted:

some people are weirdly committed to using the transliterated japanese names of anime and manga, even if there's an official english version of the title right there in the original japanese release

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

repiv posted:

some people are weirdly committed to using the japanese names of anime and manga, even if there's an official english version of the title right there in the original japanese release

yeah thought so. I'll commit on this date to calling it My Hero at every opportunity tyvm

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

repiv posted:

some people are weirdly committed to using the transliterated japanese names of anime and manga, even if there's an official english version of the title right there in the original japanese release

I'm the opposite, I try to translate every title if I can.

DC Murderverse posted:

Would you say that it is about the heart of the cards?

I call it King of Games, personally.

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

i like saying "binha" but do ya thing

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Apparently it's an April Fool's joke and she's being self-aware about her tendency to have nuclear exclusion zone toxic point-missing takes about otherwise universally loved television shows made for children.

Carry on.

Was she the one who had the meltdown over Steven Universe or Korra or was that both?

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Was she the one who had the meltdown over Steven Universe or Korra or was that both?

yeah those were her! she took noted jewish nazi rebecca sugar to task for failing to teach 8 year olds that if they have an abusive family member the only solution is a fast and total execution.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m calling it my hero and I’ll never watch the subs bc the dubs version is great. I love the voices.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

egg tats posted:

yeah those were her! she took noted jewish nazi rebecca sugar to task for failing to teach 8 year olds that if they have an abusive family member the only solution is a fast and total execution.

Also the one who did that series of writing tips that were mostly either subtweets about her beefs with Steven Universe, Korra and She-Ra or concentrated :psyduck:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
'goblins are inherently antisemitic' is literally one of my favorite tweets because it sounds like she's making a value judgement on goblins' views on Jews. Whenever I involve goblins in a D&D game at least one person in the group by now tends to say something like 'yea, get those antisemites outta here' or something.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Okay, so I'm gathering that she struggles with cartoons and a single episode of Looney Tunes with them walking on the air or dragging a hole in the floor around would melt her mind like Xenomorph acid.

Is she at least good at nonfiction???

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

If goblins are inherently antisemitic, what about hobgoblins?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Hobgoblins are inherently my friend.

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

Scholtz posted:

If goblins are inherently antisemitic, what about hobgoblins?

Depends: is it the one riding a glider or the one riding a flying panther?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

she is the kind of person that would think a voice actor playing a bad guy means they're a bad person. or that depicting racism in fiction means the creator is racist