Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
oh its not actually in cspam ignore me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

selec
Sep 6, 2003

https://twitter.com/cnbci/status/1509907115212746765?s=21&t=8nx2VP73UqtCOF5b5HUH9g

The revolving door revolves

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Mellow Seas posted:

Since Andrew Schlafly's mother worked outside the home her whole life (even if it was to argue that women should never work outside of the home), his Bible is tainted by liberalism and modernity. Buy mine instead. :colbert:

e: I also bet that if Conservapedia ever finishes their Bible, they're going to push it as "this is the TRUE word of God and we put years of scholarly work into it, Bibles don't get any more accurate than this!" Mine would be, "gently caress you, who cares about historical translation, ours has Trump on the cover." Ctrl-F for "compassion" and "mercy" and similar concepts, and anything with wieners, and drag it all to the trash like the "scary numbers" on "Severance."

There was that one Bible with the Constitution put in it which I'm fairly certain is a damnable action, God have mercy on their soul, etc.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Is the great merge finally happening?

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Bishyaler posted:

Some admin decided to switch the top level links between the two forums. I assume most people use bookmarked threads so probably won’t even notice.

Or maybe someone changed a completely unrelated piece of code. Probably a 50/50 chance of either

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Both forums were renamed to the other, nothing else changed. Happy april fools

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bishyaler posted:

The sky and the cosmos are one!

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Hot Karl Marx posted:

We are CSPAM now. God Bless.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
According to The Board, reintegrating CSPAM and D&D is impossible, and previous trials have resulted in death.

(Sorry for two "Severance" references in a row but I haven't watched the new episode yet and I can't really think about anything else. Watch "Severance.")

\/\/\/\/ That's okay, I can assure you that being dumb is not against the D&D rules.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Kalit posted:

Some admin decided to switch the top level links between the two forums. I assume most people use bookmarked threads so probably won’t even notice.

Or maybe someone changed a completely unrelated piece of code. Probably a 50/50 chance of either

im just dumb

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Do it for real and cause a meltdown about posting with tankies. Mods are cowards again.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Gumball Gumption posted:

Do it for real and cause a meltdown about posting with tankies. Mods are cowards again.

Being called conservative for pushing back against feckless moderates not exciting enough for you?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gumball Gumption posted:

Call the new forum D-SPAM

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
mods please change my name to Feckless Moderate tyvm

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
12 Republicans supported it in the House, but only 1 Republican in the Senate (Collins) has publicly supported the genera idea (but, not this specific bill) before.

There aren't many Republicans on the record as opposing it, but it seems unlikely that they will get 9 other Republicans. Murkowski, Romney, and Portman have expressed openness to the idea before, but not commented on the specific bill.

This bill is a modified version of the provision from the BBB and would only cover people with insurance (including government insurance like Medicare, Medicaid, etc.)

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1509712169058897924

quote:

House Passes Bill to Limit Cost of Insulin to $35 a Month

The bill stands to benefit millions of Americans with diabetes, but to become law, it will need to attract at least 10 Republican votes in the Senate.

WASHINGTON — A bill to limit the cost of insulin to $35 a month for most Americans who depend on it passed the House on Thursday, raising Democrats’ hopes that the party could take at least one step toward fulfilling its promise of lowering drug costs.

The bill attracted unanimous support from Democrats who voted, as well as from 12 Republicans, making it a rare piece of bipartisan policy legislation.

To become law, the bill will need to attract at least 10 Republican votes in the Senate to overcome a filibuster. Some lawmakers involved in the effort have expressed optimism that such a coalition might be possible, but few Republican senators have publicly endorsed the bill yet. Senator Susan Collins, Republican of Maine, has been working with Senator Jeanne Shaheen, Democrat of New Hampshire, on a broader bill related to insulin prices.

The bill would have substantial benefits for many of the nearly 30 million Americans who live with diabetes. Insulin, a lifesaving drug that is typically taken daily, has grown increasingly expensive in recent years, and many diabetes patients ration their medicines or discontinue them because of the cost. About one in five Americans who take insulin would save money under the proposal, according to a recent analysis from the Kaiser Family Foundation.

But the insulin bill represents a substantial scaling back of Democratic ambitions to tackle high drug prices for all Americans. A broader prescription drug package, written as part of the $2.2 trillion social spending and climate bill that has stalled in the Senate, would limit price increases on all prescription drugs, improve the generosity of Medicare’s drug coverage, and allow the government to negotiate directly on the price of some drugs used by Medicare patients, while also limiting insulin co-payments.

Other parts of the broader bill would expand health insurance coverage, extending insulin coverage to diabetes patients who are uninsured. The bill that passed the House on Thursday would not improve the affordability of insulin for people who lack health insurance.

The insulin bill may be the Democrats’ best chance of passing part of their popular prescription drug agenda, as the future of the larger package remains unclear.

“If the effort to address drug prices ends with this plan to cap out-of-pocket costs for insulin, it will amount to crumbs compared to Democrats’ initial ambitions to allow the government to negotiate drug prices,” said Larry Levitt, the executive vice president for health policy at the Kaiser Family Foundation, a health research group.

On the House floor, several Republicans expressed their opposition to the measure.

“We all share the goal of reducing the cost of insulin,” said Representative Cathy McMorris Rodgers of Washington, the top Republican on the House Energy and Commerce Committee. “This bill, however, is not the right answer.”

The pharmaceutical industry opposed the drug price regulations in the social spending and climate legislation, but it has not vocally opposed the insulin bill. While the bill would lower costs for many individual patients who take insulin, it would do nothing to reduce the prices paid to the companies that make it. Instead, insurance companies would simply pay a larger share of the price. The Congressional Budget Office estimated that the bill would increase government spending, since health insurers, including Medicare, would be responsible for a greater share of insulin costs.

But consumer insulin costs have emerged as a politically potent problem, given how widespread diabetes is in the United States, and one that is relatively easier to solve than the prices for prescription drugs overall. At a White House event in December, President Biden centered a speech about prescription drugs around the cost of insulin.

“I think it’s safe to say that all of us, all of us, whatever our background, our age, where we live, we can agree that prescription drugs are outrageously expensive in this country,” Mr. Biden said at the event, where patients with diabetes told their stories of struggles to afford the medicine.

Debate on the broader legislation has slowed, but has not died. Senator Joe Manchin III, Democrat of West Virginia and a key centrist holdout, has expressed support for the prescription drug provisions in the bill, even as he has been more skeptical about other parts of the package.

At her weekly news conference on Thursday, Speaker Nancy Pelosi of California tried to cast the passage of the insulin bill as progress toward the party’s broader drug-pricing agenda. She described insulin prices as a “kitchen-table issue.”

“It is for us a step in the direction of the secretary being able to negotiate for lower drug prices beyond insulin,” she added, referring to the secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services.

Senator Patty Murray, Democrat of Washington and the chairwoman of the Senate’s Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee, is a co-sponsor of similar insulin legislation in her chamber. She said she remained committed to passing a full suite of prescription drug price reforms, but that she viewed the insulin issue as particularly urgent.

“We’re focused on insulin, because it affects so many Americans in so many specific ways,” she said.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Lmao that drug-price controls are another "would you believe..." joke when it's the lowest-hanging fruit for voters of all political persuasions.

In other news, Gallup did a survey & found that only 5 percent of Americans think they get a good bang for their medical insurance & feel they are paying the correct amount for value received:

quote:

Few Americans believe that they receive good value when the quality of their care is weighed against the amount that they pay for it. For example, 93% of respondents agree that people across the country are paying too much for the quality of care received, and 71% agree that their own household pays too much for the quality of healthcare received. When asked to evaluate their most recent healthcare experience, most U.S. adults (52%) agree it was not worth the cost, rising to 72% among the uninsured.

Based on these three metrics, the West Health-Gallup Healthcare Value Index classifies Americans into three categories:

"High Perceived Value": These persons (5% of the U.S. adult population) report that both their household and Americans generally are paying the right amount (or too little) relative to the quality of care they receive and that their most recent care experience was worth the cost.

"Inconsistent Perceived Value": These persons (50% of the U.S. adult population) report that either their household or Americans generally are paying too much for the quality of the care that they receive or that their most recent care experience was not worth the cost.

"Poor Perceived Value": These persons (45% of the U.S. adult population) report that both their household and Americans generally are paying too much for the quality of the care that they receive and that their most recent care experience was not worth the cost.

More than two-fifths of American adults are classified as observing "poor perceived value" in the healthcare system compared with 50% who are classified as observing "inconsistent perceived value." Just 5% are classified as considering their healthcare to be of "high perceived value." These percentages are similar across all major subgroups, including gender, household income, race/ethnicity and age. Even among adults aged 65 and above, just 10% are categorized as "high perceived value" compared with 3% of those aged 30-49. And political identity does little to change the lens through which Americans view the quality of the care they receive relative to the price they pay, with Republicans being only slightly more likely to report high levels of perceived value in the care they receive than Democrats or independents.

This is also low-hanging fruit among voters that will never ever happen due to regulatory capture & donor-driven dollars.

As far as "Even among adults" who are Medicare-eligible, their perceived value is twice that as other groups, plus the increasing bipartisan privatization of Medicare has hiked premium costs for traditional Medicare & gap plans, and masked the out-of-pocket costs for the heavily incentivized (and government-subsidized) Medicare Advantage plans.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Willa Rogers posted:

In other news, Gallup did a survey & found that only 5 percent of Americans think they get a good bang for their medical insurance & feel they are paying the correct amount for value received:
Such a weird, stupid (and American) way to look at healthcare. What I get out of my healthcare is invaluable, priceless. I have Bipolar I (don't look so surprised...) and without healthcare I would be dead, in jail or homeless. Tens of millions of people are in the same boat, with a health issue they simply cannot leave untreated.

The amount my insurance "covers" every year is in the tens of thousands. That doesn't make it "a good value" that I only pay about $4000 a year for those services. It's still ridiculous that I have to pay anything (for the privilege of being a functioning member of society), or that I have to have a good job like I do to even get that price.

Given that only 5% said "yeah, it's great!" it seems my view is pretty common.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 1, 2022

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Kalit posted:

I'm not most people, but yeah, it seems like most people just cloister themseleves in their bookmarks.

hell there's probably still a decent % of goons that some how actively post in their favorite bookmarked threads and somehow dont know of The Year of Troubles, the new admin, the death of the old admin.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Does Mylan profiteer off insulin or just epi-pens, because there's no way Manchin is going to gently caress with his daughter's profits that's for sure.

E: I don't put any stock in his statements of theoretical support after we saw how he kept moving the goalposts on BBB every time Biden caved to his demands

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Another new data point in how well Biden's blame-it-on-Russkies excuse for gas prices is doing, this time from Quinnipac:

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Willa Rogers posted:

Another new data point in how well Biden's blame-it-on-Russkies excuse for gas prices is doing, this time from Quinnipac:

If any of that 22% who blame the war are coming from the "blame Biden" camp then the messaging is "working," to at least some degree.

(Like, was there some way to make Trump voters not blame Biden for it?)

(Also, mandatory mention that "Biden policy" is approximately 0% the cause, and Americans are loving stupid about gas, and this is just another "Americans loving stupid" poll, which doesn't mean it's not of political concern and consequence but does mean it's legitimately frustrating.)

A way to summarize this poll would be "a majority of Americans don't blame Biden for gas prices," wouldn't it?

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 1, 2022

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

VitalSigns posted:

Does Mylan profiteer off insulin or just epi-pens, because there's no way Manchin is going to gently caress with his daughter's profits that's for sure.

E: I don't put any stock in his statements of theoretical support after we saw how he kept moving the goalposts on BBB every time Biden caved to his demands

Insulin would be Lilly and Sanofi primarily. AFAIK Mylan has nothing to do with insulin pens.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Meanwhile in Good News...

https://twitter.com/amazonlabor/status/1509934286727749675

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

This bill is a modified version of the provision from the BBB and would only cover people with insurance (including government insurance like Medicare, Medicaid, etc.)

I don't have diabetes, but what a slap in the face to anybody without insurance. Its good that insulin will be more available to some, but as somebody who'd rather die than pay money to a health insurance company their power and control make me want to kick a hole in somebo something.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

I'm not sure why anyone is talking about -if- student loan payments come back when they are already going to start one month from now

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BRJurgis posted:

I don't have diabetes, but what a slap in the face to anybody without insurance. Its good that insulin will be more available to some, but as somebody who'd rather die than pay money to a health insurance company their power and control make me want to kick a hole in somebo something.
Hey buddy, not having insurance is illegal. :colbert:

(You're right, of course.)

The Sean posted:

I'm not sure why anyone is talking about -if- student loan payments come back when they are already going to start one month from now
There are a lot of indicators that they are going to extend the moratorium again; check LT2012's posting from yesterday.

follow that camel!!
Jan 1, 2006

Democrats will talk a good game about student loan forgiveness but actually do nothing. You and I will still owe that money, but the “uncertainty” about forgiveness will lead to lenders raising interest rates to credit card levels to mitigate the “risk” of forgiveness on new loans being issued in the future.

What are kids gonna do, not go to college? Success!

selec
Sep 6, 2003

This is doubly great when you learn that the guy who organized this was the worker Amazon fired and publicly targeted a couple years ago.

Revenge is a dish best served by unionized labor.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The House also passed a marijuana decriminalization (not legalization) bill that will assuredly die in the Senate.

This is the second time the House has passed it, but McConnell didn't bring it up for a vote in the Senate last time. Schumer is going to bring it up for a vote, but it is most likely going to die there. Only two Republican Senators publicly support it and there are two Democratic Senators opposed to legalization (Tester and Shaheen) and three Democratic Senators who are "undecided" (Manchin, Kelly, and Casey) on legalization. It is not clear if the fact that this is a decriminalization bill and not legalization will change any of their votes.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1509943718408728577

The National Labor Relations Board certified the first Amazon union today after the "Yes" vote narrowly won in a New York warehouse center.

The one potential hitch is that it is a brand new independent union that is not affiliated with any national union, so there are no pre-existing resources, organization, or other members outside of this warehouse group.

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1509942109595480069

quote:

An Amazon facility on Staten Island, N.Y., voted to become the company’s first unionized U.S. workplace in a mammoth upset that would be one of organized labor’s biggest victories in decades.

Workers at the site, known as JFK8, voted 2,654 to 2,131, in favor of organizing, according to officials at the National Labor Relations Board. There are 67 contested ballots that were not tallied, far short of the number necessary to swing the results.

The result is particularly surprising as it involved an upstart group, the Amazon Labor Union, that has opted not to hitch its fortunes to a more established union and instead rally workers as an independent organization.

Amazon did not immediately comment on the unionization vote.

There is little precedent in recent U.S. history for an unaffiliated union to get a toehold in such a large worksite of a company that has actively opposed the organizing campaign, as Amazon has at JFK8 and elsewhere. It is arguably organized labor’s most significant victory at a large employer since a 5,000-worker Smithfield Foods pork plant in North Carolina unionized in 2008.

“The larger the workplace the easier it is for the employer to divide the workers or use other [anti-union] tactics,” such as by hiring a crush of new workers ahead of a vote, said Stephanie Luce, a professor at the City University of New York’s School of Labor and Urban Studies.

“It heightens the degree of difficulty,” she said in an interview prior to Friday’s results.

A victory at JFK8 will likely supercharge organizers’ momentum ahead of another NLRB election at a smaller Staten Island Amazon complex, LDJ5, scheduled to run from April 25 to May 2.

There are roughly 8,300 employees at JFK8 and 1,500 at LDJ5, according to Amazon.

A separate union vote wrapped Thursday in Bessemer, Ala. That contest was a do-over of an election held last year that was later invalidated by the NLRB after an official ruled Amazon impermissibly interfered with the process.

There, the count concluded with 993 votes against unionizing compared to 875 votes for organizing with the the Retail, Wholesale and Department Store Union. However there are 416 challenged ballots — enough to potentially swing the results — that will be hashed out at a regional board hearing at some point in the coming weeks.

Irrespective of the final outcome, the Alabama vote was far closer than the 2-to-1 landslide against unionization in the since-voided election — a sign of progress that organizers’ say has validated their strategy in Bessemer.

“Regardless of the final outcome, workers here have shown what is possible,” RWDSU President Stuart Appelbaum said during a video news conference Thursday.

Appelbaum and others have credited the national attention from the first Bessemer election for helping to build momentum for recent unionization successes at places like Starbucks that, in turn, have boosted the unions’ fortunes against Amazon.

“They have helped ignite a movement,” he said.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 1, 2022

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Professor Beetus posted:

Insulin would be Lilly and Sanofi primarily. AFAIK Mylan has nothing to do with insulin pens.

Oh well maybe it might could happen then

Good news in case I give myself diabetes once the Cadbury creme eggs hit the stores

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Mellow Seas posted:

There are a lot of indicators that they are going to extend the moratorium again; check LT2012's posting from yesterday.

As of right now there is nothing concrete. The moratorium ends next month.

Biden campaigned on wiping student debt and hasn't acted on it so I'm not going to believe anything his administration says on it until it happens.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 1, 2022

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
So, what, six months until that Amazon warehouse is "restructured" out of existence? A year?

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Sean posted:

Yeah there is nothing concrete yet, but many people expect that they will extend it (with supporting evidence, which has been posted in the thread) so that’s why people are saying “if,” to answer your original question.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

The Sean posted:

Biden campaigned on wiping student debt and hasn't acted on it so I'm not going to believe anything his administration says on it until it happens.

He 100% did not campaign on “wiping” student debt. He said he supports up to $10k in forgiveness through Congress

Also, why wouldn’t they postpone payments again? They even postponed after saying “this is the last extension”

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Tom Cotton says that the Democrats' goal is to make everyone live in Manhattan... which is apparently where poor people live?

And living in a high-rise apartment and walking to work is a hell worse than commuting?

I think the culture war is getting more and more abstract and becoming "Single-family home in rural countryside with 20 acres of land vs. literally everything else."

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1509894441817067527

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

The one potential hitch is that it is a brand new independent union that is not affiliated with any national union, so there are no pre-existing resources, organization, or other members outside of this warehouse group.
Ironically I think them proclaiming themselves a brand new independent union is what won it for them, because it’s the perfect argument against the ‘unions used to be good but now they suck/are corrupt/insert anti union talking point here’ because you can say ‘yeah that’s why we formed our own so we don’t got all that baggage, just the good stuff.’

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tom Cotton says that the Democrats' goal is to make everyone live in Manhattan... which is apparently where poor people live?

And living in a high-rise apartment and walking to work is a hell worse than commuting?
Honestly, it's a fair "attack." It is our goal to make many, many more people live that way, and some people (probably a majority of OK voters) hate it. (Granted "Manhattan" is a real distortion of what many transit-oriented communities look like. Ever heard of, I don't know, Queens?)

I hope population density and multimodal transportation become contentious political issues, because a lot of people just don't ever think about how important they are, and the type of people who vote for Tom Cotton will always be 100% opposed anyway.

I do enjoy the simultaneous beliefs that "housing prices are set by market forces and are inherently correct" and "the most expensive place to live in the entire country is bad and people don't want to live there."

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 1, 2022

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The Sean posted:

I think the last extension was also announced at the last minute (due to Omicron forcing them to abandon their plan to resume payments), so it's not out of the question but ridiculous that they're allowing the uncertainty to go on.

Kinda seems like they might extend it because I haven't seen the big "you have to pay your loans next month get ready" campaign that they were doing last November when they intended to let the moratorium expire

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
well i guess I'll take the tinyiest crumbe of good news on the amazon thing.

How did staten island which I'm told is redder than some red states vote yes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

PhazonLink posted:

How did staten island which I'm told is redder than some red states vote yes?

Because only people who work at the Amazon facility get to vote and not the whole population.

It was also somewhat close (54/46), which is still really good considering the blowout ~70% no vote at the last Amazon union attempt.