Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
I mean, so far only Jordan has a confirmed opposite sex alternate reality version, but there could be more.

Comedy option: Nikolas and Beatrix are actually opposite sex alternate reality versions in the two Jordan's timelines, but they just look like each other, so nobody notices. Which is also the reason why male Jordan's Beatrix wants to kill him and Female Jordan's Beatrix doesn't. Female Jordan should watch out for Nikolas in that case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Last update, Jordan decided he needed advice from someone else about the pocket watch- he wasn't making any progress, but maybe someone else would have ideas that could spark a new line of thinking. We've already seen what happens when he goes to ask Katashi and Yoshiki, all that's left is Nikolas...

[BGM: Drink Deep of the Universe]

Nikolas wasn't a physicist, but he was obviously very intelligent. Even if he knew nothing about parallel dimensions, he would certainly understand it quickly.

I arrived at the Rec Room to find Nikolas sitting on a comfortable looking chair with his eyes closed. For a moment I thought he was sleeping. I was about to leave, but he must have heard me and opened his eyes.

Oh! I'm sorry Nikolas, I didn't want to disturb you.

That's alright. I wasn't asleep. Just sitting, contemplating. Did you come here to relax, or did you want to see me?

I came to see you, actually. I wanted to pick your brain about something.

Well, my counsel is the best counsel on this ship. Naturally you would come to me. You make good choices.

Hahaha. I found something, in with my parents' research notes. It's very interesting, but I'm not sure what to do with it.

What is it?

It's a pocket watch. An old-fashioned one. But I don't think that's what it really is.

You think it's something disguised as a watch? Or concealed as one?

Yeah. According to the notes, it seems like it's a mechanism for travelling between realities.

Intriguing. By realities, you mean parallel dimensions?

Yeah.

How does it work?

I have no idea. Maybe it doesn't. I can't figure out if they ever made it work. I doubt they did. After all, if it worked, they probably wouldn't have had to have fled.

That is sound reasoning. Can I see it?

I took out the watch and gave it to Nikolas. He looked at it closely, turning it over in his palm.

Hmmm...

Then he lifted it to eye level, looking carefully at the workmanship on it. Next, he felt the weight of it, and examined the buttons, being careful not to push them.

Mmm...

Once again, three different lines of questioning that we're going to see, starting with the top.

How do you think it works?

Well, it works in much the same way as any analog clock. The mechanism inside is a series of cogs that...

I know how a clock works. I meant for interdimensional travel.

Oh, yes, of course.

Nikolas shrugged.

I'm a doctor, not a quantum physicist. But my guess is that perhaps when all the hands line up correctly, that would indicate that a new dimension has opened.

Interesting idea. Do you think maybe the user lines them up to create an opening? Or is it more like an alert system that tells you if an opening is nearby?

Both are excellent questions. It's possible that the alignment of the hands is only part of the process, too. The watch might tell you when and where an opening is, but not allow you to go through it.

Or it might be the tool to take you through, if you can find one first.

Next, the middle option.

What do you think these buttons all mean?

I don't know. We could push them and find out.

I didn't mind if Nikolas wanted to test the buttons out. If anything weird happened, I'd prefer it not to happen to me.

Okay. But if you end up swapping realities and becoming an interdimensional pioneer, that's on you.

Haha. Fair enough.

Nikolas thought carefully before making his decision. He then pressed the left button. On the watch's display, green LED lights appeared, in a ring around the dial. They flashed three times and then stopped. Nikolas looked around.

I think we're still in the right dimension.

Seems like it.

Nikolas tried pushing the right button. The watch let out a loud noise.

*Fzzgbpbleeeeeeep!*

Haha, that's an appalling noise. Doesn't sound like the sound of something that's working properly.

Perhaps it's a warning?

Maybe the thing is broken. Or needs new batteries?

Could be. My parents apparently were too busy to make an instruction manual.

And, lastly, the bottom option.

What do you think the number at the top means?

Hmm...

Nikolas tapped the front of the watch with his forefinger.

They might be identifiers?

Identifying what?

I am unsure; however, it counting up to sixty could indicate seconds, but then why are there two of them? Is it marked in your parents' schematics?

I don't think so, though I haven't looked at everything yet. There's a lot of details.

Sounds like you need to do a lot more reading.

Yeah, they left a lot of notes, and most of them don't look relevant.

That must be incredibly frustrating for you, but this is a multi-generational mission, so you have plenty of time. ...Unless Dai has her way, of course.

Hahaha, yeah, I guess you are right.

The watch must have some relevance to the mission, too. Why were your parents on the Everett?

I don't know.

You should look into that, too.

You're right. Maybe knowing what this thing is for can help me figure out how to work it.

Just don't get too caught up yet. We've still got a game to win, remember?

Of course I remembered. How could I forget?

I remember. Thanks for your help, Nikolas.

You're welcome.

I couldn't quite face going back to my parents' lab and sorting through all those papers again. In any case, as Nikolas pointed out, we had more immediate problems. I went back to the comfort of my quarters with the pocket watch in hand.

No matter who you choose to go to for advice, Jordan ends up back in his quarters at this point. :eng101:

I sat on the bed with the papers and tablets sprawled over the bed.

-bzz bzz-

Nothing.

-bzz bzz-

Still nothing.

-bzz bzz-

Arghhh, this is so frustrating. Okay, I need to calm down. Getting angry isn't going to solve anything.

I threw myself back on the bed and stared at the ceiling for a long time before I was suddenly bathed in the warm glow of Ai's holographic interface.

I'm sorry to interrupt, Jordan.

Don't worry about it, Ai, you weren't interrupting anything. What's up?

I've found some more information that may be useful against Dai.

That's wonderful, what is it?

I've discovered that it's possible to input the deactivation code into any terminal, including your personnel tablets.

Do you know anything else about the deactivation code?

Ai shook her head.

Unfortunately, I didn't learn anything else. I tried to access more information, but even with my administrator privileges I was unable to proceed any further.

Well, at least we know where we can input the code once we know what it is.

I am glad you are pleased.

It isn't perfect, but it's a step in the right direction.

I must return to my duties.

Of course, thanks for the update Ai.

Ai bowed and phased out of my quarters.

Deactivated from any tablet or terminal, huh? At least now I know that I wouldn't need a higher clearance level. I'm probably going to have to dig up some information on Ayumu if I want to work out this code.

I returned my attention to the watch.

Come on Jordan, pull yourself together. You need to work this out.

I sifted through my parents' papers and tablets to see if I had missed anything.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
I'm guessing we'll get the code in parts for different endings, in true Zero Escape style?

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I'm having a feeling Nikolas is not a romance option fo MJordan, given the lack of sudden horny flirting on any convo.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

ZCKaiser posted:

I'm guessing we'll get the code in parts for different endings, in true Zero Escape style?

Comedy option: seduce Dai, she reveals the code willingly :allears:

Ghost Car
Sep 14, 2009

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I'm having a feeling Nikolas is not a romance option fo MJordan, given the lack of sudden horny flirting on any convo.

I dunno, there was that bath scene in update 21.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Can we brute force the obvious deactivation codes first like 12345 or password

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Can we brute force the obvious deactivation codes first like 12345 or password
I doubt Jordan would be able to try more than a couple before Dai noticed and killed us for it.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

content warning: vague allusions to suicide/self sacrifice

My dreams were becoming increasingly disjointed. I woke up sweaty and feeling quite heavy. I felt almost like I'd not slept at all, but I must have at some point. It was really too late in the morning to just go back to bed. I'd have to get up and start the day, whether I wanted to or not.

After getting dressed, I went to the Kitchen. Katashi had left something in the fridge for everyone's breakfast, so I helped myself to my portion. Katashi. He'd been in my dreams a lot. I couldn't remember them clearly, but there was Dai, her voice gleefully counting down to zero. There was an airlock door and something about strawberries... While the dreams faded quickly from my memory, the fear and concern for Katashi didn't.

I couldn't decide how to make myself feel better. Go to Yoshiki and let his positive attitude and friendly smile calm me down? Or go and see Katashi and reassure myself that he was still alive, and that I could make sure he stayed that way?

:v: This is another hangout choice, but only between these two- sorry, Nikolas, maybe next time. We're going to be seeing both choices in this update, but this time we're going to start with Yoshiki, since we started with Katashi last time.

Yoshiki could definitely cheer me up. I went to the Engineering Bay to find him, trying to forget about my troubled dreams.

I could hear the loud music as soon as the door opened. Going inside, I found Yoshiki was dancing.

He moved energetically and frenetically, almost flinging himself one way and then the other. His arms moved more than his feet, as he let some force inside him take over. It wasn't organized, but it was actually quite beautiful dancing. He was graceful in the way he swept his feet along the floor.

Yoshiki!

He continued to dance, moving his hips and hands in a way I never realized was possible. I tried to stop staring.

YOSHIKI!

He still couldn't hear me over the music. I managed to stop watching him so I could get myself across the room to him. He was dancing with his eyes closed, obviously lost in the music. Once I reached him, I tapped him on the shoulder. But he moved at just the wrong moment, so my wrist hit his arm, which through his leg off balance. His foot spun, he tripped, he grabbed me for support, and we both came tumbling down.

I ended up on my back, with him on top of me.

:v: This is like.... half a flavor choice, half a conversation choice, so to cover our bases we'll be seeing all three, starting from the top.

You are quite the dancer, Yoshiki.

Yoshiki blushed.

Hahaha, thank you! I love dancing. You know, it's physically impossible to be sad while dancing. So, if you're sad, you should just start dancing and then you won't be able to be sad anymore. It's science!

Hahaha! Are you going to get off me, though?

Yoshiki blushed again, leaping up.

Oh, sorry, Jordan! Are you okay?

I'm fine. Dramatic way to start the day!

I hope I didn't hurt you.

Nope. Everything seems to be in just the right place and in working order!

And that's it for the first one; now, the middle option.

Can you teach me those moves?

Yoshiki had to sort of roll away before getting to his feet.

You'd want to learn from me?

He gave me his hand to help me up.

Of course! You were awesome.

I'm all about the freestyle dancing, but apparently that doesn't count.

What does that mean? Why wouldn't your dancing count?

Beatrix and Nikolas can ballroom dance. Beatrix says my dancing is silly and embarrassing.

Who cares what Beatrix says! I like your dancing.

Yoshiki blushed.

Really?

Really! I'll be your dance partner. We can be silly and embarrassing together!

I thought you would buy me dinner first.

Yoshiki blushed.

Uh... I... Um... sorry, I was... And then...

Haha! I'm only joking.

Haha! Sorry. I was dancing and sometimes I get really into it. I didn't see you come in. Are you okay? Did I hurt you?

I was covered in dust. Apparently the Engineering Bay needed a good cleaning. Yoshiki noticed me trying to rub the dust off my own back and went behind me to help.

I'm fine.

I didn't realize it was so dusty in here!

I guess you don't spend a lot of time on the floor.

Yoshiki finished brushing off my back, and I turned around to see him again.

All clean. No harm done.

Wait, one last bit!

Yoshiki brushed some dust gently off my cheek.

There! As good as new!

Yoshiki smiled, his cheeks went rosy pink in color, and he sheepishly looked away.

I'd be more than happy to buy you dinner next time...

Ahaha! Nobody buys dinner here.

Yeah, well... I guess I'll just have to make it for you.

His offer was almost as sweet as his pink-flushed cheeks.

I think I'd like that.

But why did you come to see me? Do you need something?

Actually, I was hoping you'd cheer me up.

You always do, and you make it easy to forget the situation we're in.

Thank you so much! It means a lot to me that you think of me like that.

Of course I do. You're the ultimate mood improvement machine. Nikolas and Beatrix should bottle you!

Haha! It's great to know I can help you, even if it's just to make you feel happy.

And I do feel happy. Much better. You've recharged me!

I dunno... I suspect you might still need some cheering up!

Maybe we should dance?

Yoshiki grabbed my hand and pulled me towards him so I spun.

Okay, so this one is especially cheerful...

I didn't know how many hours I spent in the Engine Bay. After we danced, Yoshiki showed me how to check the power output of the engines. We did some easy maintenance jobs, and forgot all about the Deletion Game.

And that's it for Yoshiki's side. Now, we'll go see Katashi instead.

I found Katashi at the farm. He was counting the strawberry harvest. It had sort of been abandoned on Monday. As soon as I got there, I was ready to help, but he looked mostly finished.

Sorry! Gotta be up earlier than this if you wanna be a farmer.

Are there a lot of strawberries?

Katashi showed me his half-filled bucket.

Not as many as I'd like.

What are you going to do next? Maybe I can help with that?

At least I could be sure he was still alive. He got to his feet and lifted the heavy bucket like it was empty.

I've got some small weeds trying to take over the lettuces. You can help me clear them.

As Katashi led the way to the lettuces, I brought up the latest Deletion Game.

Katashi, I'm worried about this game.

So am I.

Obviously I'd like to prevent it from happening at all, but if we can't, we need to get real about strategy.

There was only one safe strategy I could think of.

I don't think we can strategize. That requires us knowing what the other team is up to, and we just can't know what their plans are.

Well, we can at least make sure that someone is safe.

We can't make sure of anything, Jordan.

Well, we can. If I take the least points each round, that means if our team loses, I'll...

Katashi dropped his bucket and grabbed me firmly by the shoulders. His fingers dug in as he gripped me, and the pressure turned slightly into pain.

No! No! What's wrong with you!? You can't do that! You can't just go and sacrifice yourself!

Jordan, I won't let you do this! You can't!

First option.

I can do what I want! It's my life, and my decision!

Why would you?

Because... because this is the right thing to do.

You don't get a say in this!

Then why would you tell me if you don't care what I think?

I, uh... Well... I actually do care what you think. A lot.

Katashi loosened his grip on my shoulders.

Good. So don't do it.

But then, what if...

Don't. Do it.

Second option.

I don't want to see another friend die. I would rather it be me.

Katashi loosened his grip, his face solemn.

I understand. I feel the same. But you shouldn't just be giving up.

It's not giving up to give the rest of you a chance.

We're both still here, and there's a reason for that. I don't know what it is, but we both need to do our best to get through.

But why should I? Why is my life more important than yours, or Yoshiki's?

It's not. But we've made it this far, and to me that means we need to keep fighting.

But...

I think maybe you're here because you're the one who can stop this. I think we need you.

I think maybe I need you. So, I am going to ask very nicely. Please, don't do this.

And lastly... the third option.

I want to make sure you are okay.

Katashi loosened his grip on me, looking at my face.

Oh. Me, specifically?

I didn't know if I ought to tell him about my dreams. He would worry about them, too. And anyway... even without the dreams, I'd still have been concerned.

Um... Yes.

I could feel a warm blush rising up my cheeks.

Why me? Why not Yoshiki or Nikolas?

My warm face must have been a bright, conspicious pink.

Uh... Well, maybe... maybe I like you more than them, so I want to protect you.

Oh! Um... Haha... seriously?

Um, maybe?

Katashi's face was as red as I imagined mine was, and his grip had now loosened altogether. He'd stopped looking me in the eyes, shying away from meeting my gaze.

You... you actually want to die? For my sake?

Well, I mean, no. I'd rather not. But if that's what it takes, well... I guess so.

I, um... I don't want you to die either. Perhaps even more than the others, so, maybe... Please don't.

Try and play to win. Please.

But if I win, that means someone else loses. Maybe you.

But if you lose on purpose, for me, or for anybody, I'll know it's my fault. I'd rather lose because you did your best, than feel responsible because you chose to die.

I guess... I guess you have a point.

So don't. Please.

I can't make guarantees about what I'll do in the heat of the moment.

But I will go in with the intention of trying to win.

That's all I ask.

We started walking again, and Katashi showed me the lettuces. The grass from nearby had begun to grow all over the dark brown dirt from the garden. Katashi explained to me that the grass was unwanted and soaking up nutrientsmeant for the lettuce, and so by definition, was now a weed.

We didn't talk about the game again. Instead, I learned about how there are many kinds of grass, and that on a planet, with weather and a natural atmosphere, some plants were seasonal, and couldn't be planted all at once like on the Everett. It was nice, just working with Katashi and not thinking about the game.

[BGM: Ad Astra Per Aspera]

Goooooooooood Morning! Rise and shine, kids! This is your friendly neighborhood AI, requesting you all be in the dining room within half an hour or face the consequences!

What the???

I repeat, we are ready, all systems are go, this is not a drill, get to that dining room in 29 minutes and 25 seconds!

For a moment, my head was filled with Dai's piercing voice and absolutely nothing else. I didn't know where I was, who was shouting, or even who I was. After a few seconds, I adjusted.

It was definitely only Thursday. I counted back over the days since Dai had explained the new game on Monday. There was no way I had forgotten that much time. I looked at the clock. 7:23am. It sure didn't feel like it. But maybe that was because I'd been woken so suddenly and dramatically. As I got dressed, as quickly as possible, I wondered if this random summons was because someone broke the no contact rule.

And if so, who?

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

oh right i forgot to post the followup, whoops

we've got another vote coming up, and this is gonna be the last one again for a while since this is the last "branch" before we reach An Ending (...kind of); similar to the Logiship one, though, it's hard to just show you the context and go 'make a choice!' since, well, there's a lot of numbers this time around :v: Therefore, for this round of the Deletion Game, the vote instead is very simply between two paths, which I'm calling heads or tails; like with Logiship, it's (unfortunately) a bit of a blind guess since, well, I can't give context without giving away what happens!

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

:tutbutt: Tails!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Heads :gary:

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

I flipped an actual coin and it landed Tails.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

They say Tails never fails...

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Tails

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
Heads we're not deads

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
If anyone broke the 'no contact' rule it probably would have been the siblings.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Heads up it's time for a choice!

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I was going to make a pun with Heads but someone already did it.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

My immediate thought was Beatrix and Nikolas. I doubted they were strong enough to break the rules and risk punishment. But they had the strongest bond- the most incentive to collude. Though Dai had said half an hour, I was not about to take any chances. As soon as I was dressed, I rushed out into the corridor and headed towards the dining hall.

Yoshiki came out of his own quarters exactly as I passed by. I stopped for a moment to wait for him.

What happened? Do you know what this is about?

I think maybe someone broke the rule about not communicating with the other team.

That's what I thought, too. But who?

The twins, maybe? Or I thought Melody.

That's possible. She's such a friendly kid, she could easily forget.

I really hoped that wasn't the case. Dai had been very clear that there'd be punishment for breaking the rules, and I doubted she would care if it was an accident or a child forgetting.

Katashi and Nikolas were already in the dining hall when we got there. They were seated close to the door, while at the other end of the table, Beatrix and Kimiko were in whispered discussion.

What happened? Did someone break a rule?

Nikolas sighed.

It was Beatrix and I. But I assure you, it wasn't collusion.

We've been doing fine, sharing quarters without talking. But she lost something this morning, and it was early, and she was sleepy and frustrated.

Oh, no!

She asked if I'd seen it, just without thinking. I answered, and then we both realized what had happened.

But then, you didn't mean to... it's not fair to punish you for one mistake.

It's not fair to pit us all against each other in a series of murder games, either.

I don't think Dai cares about fairness. We'll just have to take our punishment. Hopefully it won't involve dying.

The door opened, and Vladimir came in, holding Melody's hand. Poor kid was crying, and her father was trying to soothe her as they walked.

Welcome, welcome, it is about time the rest of Team B graced us with their presence. I am sure you are all aware that the no communications rule between teams has been broken, and that is why you have all been summoned here.

Dai was looking around the room at the crew when she stopped and focused on Beatrix.

Oh deary me, Trixxy, you are looking a bit rough around the edges this morning.

Just get on with it.

Oh my, I wouldn't be talking like that if I'd broken the rules.

It was an accident. It isn't like we said anything important.

They didn't even talk about the game!

Oh, my mistake. You can all return to your quarters.

Really!?

Absolutely not! And I may be wrong here, but did the rules say you were allowed to talk if it wasn't about the game? Is that what the rules said?

Dai looked around the room again.

Oh wait, I remember, I made the rules- and nooooo. The rule said no communicating. But Trixxy here is right! I need to get on with it! This is too exciting. Let the punishment commence.

It was a mistake! If anyone is to be punished, it should be me! Please leave Beatrix out of this...

Nikolas...

Oh, how touching- pity I am punishing everyone, including your precious sister.

The rest of us weren't even involved.

Tsk tsk, Captain, trying to shirk responsibility? This is a team game, so everyone will be punished!

There were several cries of outrage and frustration. Melody's crying got louder as she clung to her father.

And the punishment is...

The room fell completely silent as we waited with baited breath.

The Deletion Game!

Dai spread her arms theatrically as she made this declaration. The room remained silent.

What do you mean?

Oh, sorry, was I not clear enough? Allow me to explain.

Instead of holding this round of the Deletion Game on Sunday as planned, we'll be playing it right now.

But most of us are still half asleep...

So? It's no skin off my nose.

The captain took a moment to consider her words before pursuing her argument.

Dai, if multiple crew members are half asleep during the current round, not only would it affect our ability to play the game, it could lead to something terrible.

Like their deaths?

Much worse, I'm afraid.

What could possibly be worse? Don't keep me in suspense!

Dai's eyes lit up at the gruesome possibilities.

If everyone is half asleep, no one will perform well, and the game, well, the game would be boring.

Dai gasped, completely taken aback.

Boring? No, no, no, no, no! The game can't be boring. Games are supposed to be fun!

Kimiko shrugged noncommitally.

I know, but I guess there's no helping it now.

Although Dai was doing her best to maintain her composure, it was clear Kimiko's argument had touched a nerve.

Alright, alright, I'll give you all an extra hour to wake up and prepare so that you can all bring your A-game, okay?! But that's the best I can do under the circumstances.

That sounds fair. I'm sure we can all make do with that.

Everyone seated at the table nodded in unison. With these new terms established, Dai seemed to regain her usual composure.

Okay, good! You are to return here in an hour for the first round. Until then, however, you are still forbidden from communicating with each other. Oh, and Trixxy...

What?!

Is an hour long enough for you to fix.... this?

Dai made a vague circular gesture with her index finger in Beatrix's general direction, screwing up her face in disgust. Beatrix stormed toward Dai, her eyes filled with murderous intent.

I'll fix you...

Nikolas shook his head in disapproval and grabbed his sister's arm as she began to edge closer to Dai. With a self-satisfied smile, Dai's form dissipated before their eyes.

I.. I... ARGHGGHH!

Beatrix let out a frustrated cry as she wrenched her arm free from Nikolas' grasp. Nikolas painfully ignored his sister's frustration, and focused on the task at hand.

Now isn't the time for this, we need to prepare for the first round or we'll be putting ourselves at a serious disadvantage. Let's head to the Rec Room and work out our strategy.

That sounds like a good plan!

Yoshiki grabbed my hand with one hand, and Katashi with the other, and pulled us out of the dissipated dining hall and towards the rec room.

We arrived at the Rec Room and Nikolas immediately started discussing our strategy.

I've been considering two particular strategies.

Alright, let's hear them.

Our first option is to go through the rounds with two people on 0 each time in order to spread the points over the two. In doing so, we'd increase their personal pools and hopefully win the rounds, assuming the other team decides to spread their points over all four people.

And our other option?

Assume they're doing what I just described, and spread out our points over all four of us.

How would we go about spreading our points?

We'd have to play it by ear until we saw the results of the first round.

That makes sense. No point nailing down a plan when there are so many variables in play.

Dai suddenly chimed in over the intercom system.

Please assemble in the Dining Hall for this week's Deletion Game. Round One starts in 5 minutes! Whooo!

That certainly didn't feel like an hour...

It wasn't. It appears she has given us half an hour at best.

Wha? But that's not fair!

Well, she was going to make us play on the spot; a half hour's still better than nothing.

I guess...

Okay, let's make our way over now.

For the second time that morning, we headed to the Dining Hall where we would be forced to play the Deletion Game once again.

We arrived to find Dai lazing around, gazing at her nails disinterestedly.

Oh goodie, everyone's here.

Now I know I said an hour, but just look at you all! There's nothing quite like the risk of death to wake you up in a hurry, is there? All right, let's play!

Very well, Dai. Let's get this over with.

I love your fighting spirit!

Okay, so what I will need is for you all to wait outside during the other team's turn. You will get up to five minutes in the room to decide on your points allocation, then after that, you can input your choices on the main terminal. However, all hands will have to be placed on the terminal in agreeance.

Team A, you are up first.

Team B, get out!

The members of Team B hastily left the Dining Hall and left us alone with Dai in the Dining Hall. The dining table now projected a shimmering holographic terminal.

[BGM: Carpe Noctum]

Your five minutes starts... now!

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Okay, I have put together promising configurations we could go with. Please choose whichever you would prefer.

The game gives you the option of picking specific point allocations, but it gets very complicated very quickly, so I'm going to automate the actual point allocations on my own and navigate us onto the route that was voted for. However, before we do so, like the previous rounds, there's one outcome we should get out of the way first... :eng101:

Jordan 1, Yoshiki 3, Katashi 3, Nikolas 3.

If everyone is in agreeance?

Yes.

Yup!

Yeah. Let's go with this.

I input the allocation using the terminal and everyone else placed their palms there to approve it.

Thank you for your entry! Please exit the Dining Hall, so stinky Team B can allocate their points.

We quickly shuffled out of the dining hall and Team B entered for their turn. Nikolas leaned up against the wall, his fingers pressed against his glasses and his eyes in deep thought.

Frustrating, isn't it?

Indeed it is, Katashi.

Aren't all the games frustrating?

Nikolas and Katashi both smiled at Yoshiki as if he was a simple child.

Yes, but this one especially. There's no way for me to determine their numbers with any degree of certainty, it relies almost entirely on luck.

After a few tense minutes of waiting, Team B exited the Dining Hall. Dai followed, boisterous as usual.

What a wonderful start to the Bidding Wars! Both teams are fighting hard! Now let's see the results of Round One. If you would be so kind as to draw your attention to this screen.

Dai projected a screen using the same light she was made of.

And the winner of Round One is....

It was a close one, but Team B is leading the charge! Let's move onto Round Two!

I'll keep a tally of the situation after each round, so it's easier to follow along. :eng101: In this case, even though Team A won three of the four rounds (with a combined score of 7), because Team B won the highest score one it means that they have a higher score of 8. Jordan's individual score is 1 after the first round.

Team A, you are up again. Please follow me.

Dai appeared to walk through the wall as we made our way back into the Dining Hall.

Okay, we are losing, but we still have two battles left, so we are still in this!

Oh no, we're already losing. I'm going to kill someone...

Get a hold of yourself, Jordan, there are still two opportunities for us to turn this around. My suggestions are...

Picking an option here...

Jordan 4, Nikolas 3, Yoshiki 1, Katashi 2.

I input the allocation using the terminal and everyone else placed their palms there to approve it.

Thank you for your entry! Please exit so stinky Team B can allocate their points.

…...

If you would be so kind as to draw your attention to this screen...

And the winner of Round Two is....

Maybe I put the money on the wrong horse here... tsk tsk.

:eng101: After this round, Team B has a score of 14 to Team A's score of 12. Jordan's individual score is still 1, as he gained no points in the previous round.

Let's move onto Round Three then!

Team A, you are up again, please follow me!

Dai appeared to walk through the wall as we made our way back into the Dining Hall.

Umm guys, we are losing.

I know, I know! I am thinking.

I... I don't want anyone to die.

Okay, here is what I think our options are:

Jordan 0, Yoshiki 3, Nikolas 3, Katashi 4.

…...

Let's get straight to the results.

And at the end, Team B wins with a score of 21 to Team A's 15... and Jordan still has a score of 1, having gained no points since the first round. :eng101:

Well, I gotta tell ya, this is very disappointing. I expected great things of you, Jordan! *sigh*

But, rules are rules, and you've been chosen. The fates have conspired. Luck is not on your side. The odds were not in your favor.

I wondered how many ways Dai had of telling me I'd lost. We all knew that. It didn't seem quite real. I was dazed, standing in the Dining Hall, listening to Dai, but at the same time, I wasn't there. I was outside my body, looking at myself.

Stop dragging it out. It isn't fair.

You wanna die sooner rather than later?

I... I...

Well, the sooner you're gone, the sooner we get to the new game! Let's spin that wheel!

I came back to myself enough that I was looking out of my own eyes as Dai's big wheel of murder appeared. She winked at me before reaching out and pretending to spin it. It spun fast, all a blur. Dai kept pretending like it was real, like she wasn't in control of everything. Then the wheel started to slow, the text legible as one death after another flipped past the indicator, some of them clear and others ambiguous: drowning, disintegration, 'The Squeeze'.

Ooh, it's slowing down now. Anyone wanna put a bet down?

Dai's suggestion was met with angry glares.

Just trying to lighten the mood.

Aaaaaand we have a winner!

The wheel had stopped, big red arrow pointing to my fate.

Airlock Aeroplane!

Congratulations, Jordan, you're going to enjoy a quiet, relaxing time out in open space. No suit, obviously.

Would it hurt? I tried to remember as much as I could about vaccuums. It wouldn't be like running out of air slowly. I'd go straight from an oxygenated environment into total vaccuum. That had to damage my body, right? Maybe I'd die before I ran out of air.

To the airlock!

Though she could easily have vanished and reappeared at the airlock, Dai preferred to lead us there herself, pretending to be a tour guide.

[BGM: The Aftermath of Bravery]

And now if you look to your right, you will see the door to the Kitchen. On your left, a blank wall, very thrilling. Keep moving, keep moving! And we're walking, we're walking... Well now, ladies and gentlemen, this is very exciting. It looks like we'll be getting a glimpse of the infamous Engineering Bay.

Unfortunately, we can't stop the tour here, so just take a peek as we're walking...

Yoshiki and Katashi both hung back, to come level with me.

Jordan, I'm so sorry.

This isn't fair. That game made it impossible to strategize.

Bestie, I'm going to miss you.

I put an arm around Yoshiki.

It's okay. You lived without me for 25 whole years of your life. I'll be a nice memory for you. I won't even seem real by the time you grow old.

Yoshiki started to cry and made no attempt to disguise it.

I don't want you to ever not feel real!

We arrived at the airlock.

And here we are at our destination. Who would like to hear a long story about the history of the airlocks?

I'm sorry, Jordan. I wish there was something I could do.

It's not your fault. You did your best.

You became a part of the crew so fast. Even while Dai was trying to pit us all against each other.

We won't forget that.

Yawn! I thought you didn't want to stall.

Jordan has been with this crew such a short time, but he became a part of us. He was kind, generous, and always willing to pitch in and help. He served with honor and we will honor him for it.

Yoshiki reached out to hug me and he held on tight when I began to pull away. This was it. It was real. Now I was confronted directly with death, I actually felt pretty calm about it. Maybe because there was nothing left to do. No reason to fight, no plea I could make. I was about to die, and everything was out of my control.

Then I remembered the pocket watch.

Whenever Jordan (either one) is the one eliminated during Bidding Wars, they remember the pocket watch (which they have on-hand at that point) and decide to give it to one of two people- who those two are changes depending on which branch (and Jordan) you're on. It....really doesn't amount to much, as the character just accepts it and thanks Jordan and then things keep going, no personal scene or anything. As a result, there's not really any reason to show off all the options, so I just picked at random for this one and we'll be giving it to Katashi for this one instance.

Here, Katashi. This is for you. To remember me by.

Jordan, thank you. I will treasure it, like I treasured you.

Katashi smiled warmly at me.

Alright, let's get on with this. Time's ticking by, I got places to be, people to kill...

The airlock door opened with a hiss, and I took a step towards it. Then I turned around. It felt right, somehow, after what she'd said about me. I saluted the captain.

Officer, you have served the Everett well and we thank you for your service. Salute!

As I stepped backwards into the airlock, I could see the rest of the crew standing still in a salute. Tears were streaming down Yoshiki's face and Katashi stood still, his face absent of feeling. That made me feel worse, somehow. Like it was my fault.

I'm sorry I failed everyone.

This wasn't real.

It wasn't happening.

But it was, and from the speakers, I heard the overhead system countdown. Airlock secured. External door opening in 3... 2... 1...

Door opening.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

I'm curious, how does the game offer the point allocations? Is it that you can create the numbers as you please (within the rules) so you have to work a bunch of math and just hope that it works out in such a way that you end up on a new path? Or does the game offer you a few pre-set point allocations that you're basically picking from a few options and seeing how it turns out?

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

MagusofStars posted:

I'm curious, how does the game offer the point allocations? Is it that you can create the numbers as you please (within the rules) so you have to work a bunch of math and just hope that it works out in such a way that you end up on a new path? Or does the game offer you a few pre-set point allocations that you're basically picking from a few options and seeing how it turns out?

it's pre-set allocations (the line of Jordan saying the answer is the selection you make), but you have 3-4 different options and since it's essentially completely blind it's....a bit of a pain in the rear end to actually get the right outcome :v: there IS a trick to it that i know for a fact, but again, i'm gonna save revealing it til the last time we ever do a Bidding War round in the LP

even with it being pre-set allocations though there's, uh, a lot of variations you can get, it's honestly kind of a ballsy implementation even if that means you run the risk of something going wrong

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Okay, now let's get onto an actual path this time. :v: There's only two actual paths out of this Deletion Game, so I had the thread vote on which path we're taking... and there was a tie, so I asked a third party with no knowledge of this game to break the tie. It's time to find out what the vote will result in...

Okay, I have put together promising configurations we could go with. Please choose whichever you would prefer.

Jordan 0, Nikolas 0, Yoshiki 1, Katashi 9.

If everyone is in agreeance?

Yes.

Yup!

Yeah. Let's go with this.

Thank you for your entry! Please exit the Dining Hall, so stinky Team B can allocate their points.

We quickly shuffled out of the dining hall and Team B entered for their turn. Nikolas leaned up against the wall, his fingers pressed against his glasses and his eyes in deep thought.

Frustrating, isn't it?

Indeed it is, Katashi.

Aren't all the games frustrating?

Nikolas and Katashi both smiled at Yoshiki as if he was a simple child.

Yes, but this one especially. There's no way for me to determine their numbers with any degree of certainty, it relies almost entirely on luck.

After a few tense minutes of waiting, Team B exited the Dining Hall. Dai followed, boisterous as usual.

What a wonderful start to the Bidding Wars! Both teams are fighting hard! Now let's see the results of Round One. If you would be so kind as to draw your attention to this screen.

And the winner of Round One is....

TIE! Woooo! Can you feel the tension? Argh, this is amazing!

I don't think you need me to point it out, but, well, both teams have 0 points and Jordan's individual score is also 0 :v:

Let's move onto Round Two! Team A, you are up again. Please follow me.

A tie isn't ideal, but it could be worse, we could be losing.

A tie!? What do we do!? If we tie, I die automatically!

Yoshiki began to panic, and we didn't have time for it.

Yoshiki, get a hold of yourself. It will be fine, we still have two battles left and they were playing safe like we were. Our options are the following:

Jordan 0, Nikolas 0, Yoshiki 1, Katashi 9.

Thank you for your entry! Please exit so stinky Team B can allocate their points.

…...

If you would be so kind as to draw your attention to this screen...

And the winner of Round Two is....

And here we see the game completely break in half for reasons I literally can't parse! Like I went back and checked and no, this is a guaranteed way to get onto the path we're aiming for, but the numbers just broke here for some reason! :psyduck: Like, the game acts as if Yoshiki and his opponent tied and get zero points, but it's not as if they got the numbers wrong (and it was supposed to be 2/8 instead of 1/9), because the game is ALSO acting as if the team (and Katashi) have 9 points!

:eng99: So we are going to have to completely disregard the elephant in the room of the game literally breaking its own rules and accept that Team A/Katashi have 9 points, Team B has 4 points, and Yoshiki and another Team B member tied and have 0 points. Somehow. ...Somehow.

Waaahh, Team A you are my hero! Let's move onto Round Three then!

Team A, you are up again, please follow me!

So far, so good.

We might be safe!

One more round before we count our chickens, Yoshiki. Heading into the final battle, I suggest:

Jordan 1, Nikolas 5, Yoshiki 2, Katashi 2.

…...

Maybe I put the money on the wrong horse here... tsk tsk. Let's get straight to the results.

Unfortunately, we still lost here- by a single point, our 12 to their 13. Jordan had 1 point at the end, thanks to the final round.

Congratulations, Team B! After three rounds, you have come out victorious! And that means... Team A, you lose! Congrats!

And the lucky winner of the Wheel is...

Nikolas!

:v: Whoops!

Well now, that's a shame. The average hotness of this crew is about to take a major dive.

No, no, no, no, no. No, it can't be him.

First off, Trixxy, it can be anyone I say. And secondly, he lost the game, fair and square.

I... guess I did.

Nikolas, I'm so sorry, we didn't do this on purpose! We didn't choose you, or want you to lose!

I know. The points simply fell this way.

How can you be so calm?

Someone has to die. I am just glad it isn't you.

Well I'm not.

I'm sorry, kids.

No, wait. Not sorry. The other thing. Excited, yes, that's it. EXCITED! Let's spin that wheel!!!

Dai's colorful, glowing wheel of deaths appeared beside her, lights flashing.

So, Nikolas. Please, tell the audience. What kind of death are you hoping for today?

I'm not answering that. You'll stop the wheel on the opposite.

Are you implying that the Wheel of Death is rigged? How dare you, sir!

It's not real, of course you control it.

I have never been so insulted.

You don't trust the wheel? Fine! I will choose for you. To the Medical Bay!

Nikolas started moving towards the Medical Bay, but no one else moved.

Come on. We'd better do what she says. We all know what will happen if we resist.

Nikolas, how are you taking this so well?

Well, it's bought my sister another week, and she is all I care about in life, and in death.

Beatrix was now sobbing uncontrollably.

But that's not... Nikolas, this isn't fair.

This whole thing isn't fair, dear sister.

Nikolas placed his hands on either side of Beatrix's face and forced her to look at him as he spoke calmly.

But it's no more unfair for me than anyone else.

Alright! Enough chatter. Let's get moving, come on now. Left, right, left, right, left, right...

We didn't march, but we did hurry out into the corridor and towards the Medical Bay.

There must be some way to fix this.

Nope! Keep marching, we're almost there! Left, right, left, right, left, right!

She kept up the marching rhythm for the rest of the walk, shouting so loudly that no one could hear over it, though Beatrix kept trying to speak.

[BGM: The Aftermath of Bravery]

Once we made it to the Medical Bay, she continued the rhythm right up to the surgical room.

Left, right, left, right, left, right... And stop!

Katashi stopped so suddenly I walked into his back. The captain had to grab me to stop me from falling.

Nikolas, if you would hop up onto this chair, we'll get started.

Don't I get goodbyes?

Dai sighed and rolled her eyes.

Fine! Two minutes.

Nikolas went to the captain first, nodding to her with a slight smile. I was impressed that he managed to stay suave and cool, even while preparing for death.

Captain. I appreciate that you've been doing your best under the circumstances. I don't want you to feel responsible for this.

I... I'm sorry...

You didn't program Dai.

Well, no... but...

I'd appreciate it if you could be patient with my sister and give her some leeway for a while.

Of course.

Thank you.

His next goodbye was for Beatrix. But we didn't get to hear it. He drew her aside, and spoke to her in a low voice. Beatrix was not as cool and suave as her brother. She continued to whimper as she reached out and hugged him. The hug lasted maybe thirty seconds, before Nikolas pulled away. He whispered to his sister again, before coming to stand in front of the rest of us.

I'm ready.

Congratulations, Nikolas! You have won Exsanguination! Who knows the meaning of the word exsanguination?

No!

Not you! Unfair advantage.

Sanguine is Latin for blood, so logically, exsanguination involves not having blood?

Ding ding! Ten points to the lady at the front!

Nikolas doesn't have any blood?

No, Yoshiki, I have blood, but I will die from blood loss.

Aaaaaaand I'm gonna need a volunteer from the audience!

It was no surprise that nobody put their hand up.

Come on, don't make me pick someone!

Katashi stepped forward.

Better me than Beatrix. What do I have to do?

Don't worry. You'll just be doing some light killing today. I don't believe it's habit forming. If symptoms persist, please see your doctor.

The one that's still alive, that is! Hahahaha.

No disrespect to either Dai or yourself, Katashi, but I think I can handle this.

Oh, Nikolas, you make me weak at the knees! I really am going to miss you.

Nikolas took a seat in the Medical Bay and began the process himself. He placed a needle into his right arm and watched as the blood started spilling into the above bag. He placed his glasses on his leg, and he made himself comfortable.

Now, everyone knows the rules- stay back from Nikolas during his 'time of need', hahaha.

Please, keep my blood in storage, in case anyone needs it in the coming weeks.

Over my dead body is anyone touching your blood!

Beatrix.

Sorry, brother.

Melody was standing beside Vladimir, watching on with great interest.

I like Nikolas. Is he going away forever? Like Mummy and Shizuka?

I'm... afraid so, sweetie. Why don't you turn around now?

Melody shook her head.

I want to see what Dai is doing. Will it hurt him?

I don't think so. You can look for now, but you have to turn around when I say, okay?

Okay.

Well, audience, our glamorous assistant was next to useless, but a round of applause for his enthusiasm to kill a fellow crew member!

There was silence.

I said applause, or elsssse~

As Katashi came back to the group, we each put our hands together for a few unenthusiastic claps, Melody copied.

Nikolas, I'm sorry!

Now, theoretically he should die once I've drained one third to one half of his blood volume. But I'm keen to push the boundaries. Let's see what he can handle.

For science!

Nikolas Vogel, your service to the Everett has been exceptional. We honor your sacrifice today, and we will remember your bravery and integrity. Salute!

The crew saluted. Melody copied and did the same.

Well now, that's interesting. Only 30 seconds and already his pulse is way down. Keep your eyes on those vitals, folks.

Dai was pointing out the screen readout, which showed Nikolas' rapidly falling heart rate. His blood presure was on the same screen.

It dropped. Very suddenly.

He's going into shock. After only a 5/8ths loss of blood.

Disappointing, Nikolas, disappointing.

Nikolas' skin had gone white and translucent, as the hairs on his body all started standing up on edge.

Melody, turn around now.

Melody did turn to face her father, but she kept saluting. Nikolas dropped out of consciousness and slumped in the chair, as the room was filled with Beatrix's cries and the monitoring machines let out vital alarm tones.

I don't know. I feel like that could have gone better. We'll have to remember for next time.

Now, because we have another medic here, and I don't trust her at all, we will now wait the customary 6 minutes to ensure that revival is not possible.

Dai seemed flippant about waiting around.

So, Cap-i-tan, anything new in the world of space and stuff?

The captain just rolled her eyes as she refused to engage Dai in conversation.

Rude, just rude.

Minutes passed as the room was silent, other than the sobs from Beatrix.

Okay team! Time's up. You may now approach the corpse, woooo~

Speaking of time, I hope to see you all again soon for the next Deletion Game! Thanks for playing!

With that, Dai disappeared. Beatrix ran up to Nikolas, and started to embrace his now lifeless body.

Beatrix...

Looking up from Nikolas, Beatrix started glaring at Katashi, Yoshiki, and I.

This is all your fault.

She didn't shout. Beatrix's voice was cool, and filled with detached rage.

You did this to him.

Without another word, Beatrix turned and gently kissed Nikolas's forehead, pulled the needle from his arm, took the blood bag he had filled, and left the Medical Bay.

This isn't Team A's fault. Katashi, can you help me with his body?

Of course.

Do you think it hurt a lot?

I don't think so. I think he went to sleep and didn't feel anything else after.

That's good.

I think so, too.

Kimiko and Katashi went into the room to deal with the unpleasant reality of yet another body. The rest of us went our separate ways, most of us to our quarters, to hide away and wonder who the Deletion Game would take next.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

So, how demented was Kimiko's mom when she wrote this program again?

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Yeah that's one nasty way to go. And insulting to a medical professional as well.

Also Beatrix will go murder mode, calling it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I liked that it gave him the double gently caress you to DAI, a "I'll still be useful in death as an emergency blood transfusion" and a "Actually, you don't need to get anyone else to feel guilt about my death", plus withstanding it till 5/8? 63% of blood lost? Nikolas went out like an absolute champ. What a guy.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Ah, broken logic. I'm not surprised with this complicated of a scenario, but it still sucks.

Nikolas is a bro and Beatrix is definitely gonna shank someone, probably us. In terms of love interests, I'm team Katashi all the way.

I like the theory that this is specifically a game to kill Jordan. Some kind of hosed up revenge from Kimiko's mom in case Jordan's parents ever came back, maybe?

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

I am going to confirm now that with this decision we ARE officially on a permanent branch path now, though whose we're on I won't say just yet :v:

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Mix. posted:

I am going to confirm now that with this decision we ARE officially on a permanent branch path now, though whose we're on I won't say just yet :v:

Wild guess (okay, it's presumably a 50/50 shot but whatever, the fun part of these threads is speculation): it's Katashi 'cause he got the extra scene in the execution.

So...is it a coincidence that M!Jordan's apparent love interests (which I'm completely assuming are Katashi and Yoshiki from the pocket watch scene) at this time are both men? Cool choice by the devs if so.

(Also assuming I'm not misreading the sprites and we've actually been F!Jordan this whole time. Can't discount that possibility.)

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

mycelia posted:

Ah, broken logic. I'm not surprised with this complicated of a scenario, but it still sucks.

Nikolas is a bro and Beatrix is definitely gonna shank someone, probably us. In terms of love interests, I'm team Katashi all the way.

I like the theory that this is specifically a game to kill Jordan. Some kind of hosed up revenge from Kimiko's mom in case Jordan's parents ever came back, maybe?

Personally, given the namesake of the game I think Dai is trying to force Jordan to achive multiversal travel or something like that, since the point of the quantum suicide experiment is that there's an alternate reality where you survive every time you make a decision (which is true on a VN!). Maybe their parents were involved in Dai's creation, even.

Also hoping this is the Katashi route given besides being the character who is my type the most he's got some depth to his personality.

GiantRockFromSpace fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 31, 2022

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Personally, given the namesake of the game I think Dai is trying to force Jordan to achive multiversal travel or something like that, since the point of the quantum suicide experiment is that there's an alternate reality where you survive every time you make a decision (which is true on a VN!). Maybe their parents were involved in Dai's creation, even.

Also hoping this is the Katashi route given besides being the character who is most my type he's got some depth to his personality.

It's definitely a possibility- it makes sense to me at least.

I still quite like both of the guys we've got left, but I guess I'm in with the Katashi crew if I'm being honest.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

I was stirred awake. I could feel something touching me. I froze for a moment, then realized- someone was holding my hand.

What the-?

I heard a muffled voice coming from the covers.

Hey, bestie, it's just me.

I turned the lights on to see what was going on.

Yoshiki, what are you doing here?

Even when asleep, your hand still gripped me back.

What are you talking about?

You are still alive.

Yoshiki seemed distraught, but cheerfully distraught.

I felt your hand hold me back.

Yoshiki, what is this about?

Yoshiki's cheerful distraught demeanor shifted to just distraught. Yoshiki began mumbling to himself. He was still a bit shaken up after Nikolas' death. Of his mumbles, I could only make out 'team' and 'stranger'.

A dead stranger.

Yoshiki twitched before grabbing my hand again, albeit slightly aggressively.

You're not dead, and you're not a stranger, you're Jordan!

Yoshiki...

Jordan, you're alive! Your hand, it holds me back!

Flavor choice, so let's pick the second option, since M!Jordan is more of a goofball like Yoshiki :v:

Two can play at that game, Yoshiki. Yoshiki began to squirm in pain, breaking his demeanor.

OW, OW, OWWW!

Yoshiki, great news!

Yoshiki recoiled, holding his hand delicately, sulking.

What, that you're a big meanie?

Quite the opposite. You're alive!

Yoshiki took a moment before smiling.

You're right! We both are!

Yep, so let's keep it that way.

Sorry for getting so weird with you, Jordan, it's just...

Yoshiki paused.

You mean a lot to me, and...

I waited intently for Yoshiki to finish.

I would be really upset if Dai took you out before I did.

Yoshiki laughed as he jumped out of my bed.

Well, until next breakdown... toodles.

Before I could even reply, Yoshiki had run out of my quarters. I looked at the time. 4:53 a.m. Argh.

I guess I could get a few more hours of sleep.

I curled back down into my bed and got those few more hours of sleep.

…...

I woke feeling quite refreshed. Perhaps having Yoshiki sabotage my sleep was good for me. Thinking of Yoshiki, I figured I should probably check in on him. I made my way to the Engineering Bay out of instinct.

Hey, Yoshiki, you feelin-

He wasn't there...

I looked at my tablet for his location.

In the Rec Room, eh?

I made my way to the Rec Room.

When I arrived I found Yoshiki sitting and staring intensely at the chessboard.

Heyyyy, bestie- how we feeling?

Oh, perfect timing, Jordan! Do you know how to play chess?

Um, I guess so, but I've never played with another person.

Did your parents teach you?

Hahaha, no. They didn't have time for that. It was one of the game applications in the pod's computer.

So a computer taught you?

Yeah, I guess it did.

Can you please teach me how to play?

Why the sudden interest in chess?

You were right! We aren't dead yet! And so, I need to lift my gaming skills if I want to survive.

And you decided to learn chess? Why not just play some of Shizuka's games?

Yoshiki looked away for a moment.

She never let me play them when she was alive... why should now be any different?

I took a moment before I responded.

[BGM: Standby to Standby]

We're going to be seeing all these options, so let's start with the top one and work our way down.

Chess it is, then! Let's get started!

I took a seat in front of Yoshiki at the chess set.

Okay, first things first... white always goes first.

Why?

Why? Um...

The origination of such a rule is debated, however, using probability I have calcuated the most likely answer.

Oh, Ai, you scared me!

Ai had appeared beside the chess board- no warning- and started her spiel about chess. Yoshiki didn't even seem phased.

So, why does white go first, Ai?

Historically, black was considered a lucky color. So, to award black first move as well would be considered unfair, hence, white goes first.

I want to be black, then!

That doesn't sound like the most probable.

Oh, Jordan, you see straight through me. You are correct. That was just the most interesting possible reason.

:v: Actually, historically, the person to go first was usually decided before color was ever assigned and the one going first got to choose whether they wanted to be black or white. If there were multiple games, the players would alternate colors from there. It wasn't until the late 1880s that the idea of “white always goes first” was ever recorded as being proposed, and it seems like the only reason it became a “rule” is just that enough rulebooks logged it and it spread through osmosis from there rather than being any innate default. :eng101:

So what is the reason with the highest probability?

White goes first because someone has to go first, or there is no game at all.

Wait, that's it?

I am afraid so, Yoshiki. Do you prefer the other possible reason?

Yeah! It was way more interesting!

Very well, I will set that reason as the default.

I'm black! Jordan, I'm black!

Hahahaha, okay, okay, I heard you the first time.

Ai bowed and disappeared without even saying goodbye.

Do you know what the pieces are called? Or how they can move?

Negative!

Okay, so the front line of our pieces are pawns. They can only move directly forward one space, unless it is the first turn, then they can move up to two spaces, and they attack diagonally for one space.

Argh! That is so much information already.

Hahaha, I guess it is.

Are there any pieces that are easier to understand?

I guess the easiest to understand is the queen piece.

What can she do?

Anything, really. She is the most powerful piece in the game. She can move horizontally, vertically, diagonally, and for as many spaces as she wants.

Yaaaass, queen!

Haha, indeed.

Is the king just as powerful?

Hahaha, no. Although the game's outcome is based on whether the king is safe or not, the king himself can move in any direction but can only move one space at a time.

So, the king is just a pretty face?

I guess you could look at it that way.

How many other types of pieces are there to learn?

Well, you have the rooks, the bishops, and the knights.

Yoshiki's face glazed over.

Welp, this has been fun. Pick this up again tomorrow?

What? You're giving up?

Giving up is such a strong word- I would rather say, um, spacing out my learning! Don't want to overload myself on day one, okay, toodles~!

Yoshiki got up from the chair and skipped out of the Rec Room.

Lesson over I guess.

Next, the middle option.

What games do you know how to play? Perhaps trying to learn a new game isn't the best way to hone your skills.

Mmmm, I guess that makes sense.

So, what do you know how to play?

Um... let me think.

I stood quietly for a moment while I waited for Yoshiki to come up with an answer.

So, if I take the one, and minus it from the two, and then divide the result with...

Yoshiki? Why are you doing math?

I have bad news, bestie.

What is that?

Well, my calculations are in, and...

WHY ARE YOU DOING CALCUATIONS??

Yoshiki continued, unphased that I was becoming frustrated with him.

...I don't know any games.

Soooo, we could be in a bit of a pickle.

How did that require math??

Everything is math, Jordan.

I was left stunned for a moment, unsure of how to respond, when I had a great idea.

Twenty questions.

That's the spirit! Let numbers flow through you.

No, no, as in we can play the game twenty questions. It's a very easy game to play!

Oh, okay!

So, think of something, anything you like, and you pretend you are that thing.

Ice cream!

No... don't...

Strawberry ice cream!

I had to take a breath before continuing.

Okay, change of plans...

I'm not ice cream?

Yoshiki!

Don't you like ice cream?

I will pick something, and you have to ask me yes or no questions. You only get twenty questions, and then you have to guess what I am.

Okay! I can do this!

Fantastic.

Have you thought of something?

Yes.

Okay- give me your first question!

Are you ice cream?

Well? Are you?

No, Yoshiki, I'm not ice cream.

Oh...

You have nineteen questions left.

Hmm...

I waited for a moment, with the belief that Yoshiki was deep in thought.

KATASHI PROBABLY HAS SOME ICE CREAM!

Yoshiki jumped up and ran out of the Rec Room.

Um... I am almost certain that she wouldn't mind.

In fact, I think she would be sad knowing that her video games were not being loved and appreciated.

Yoshiki gasped.

You're right!! It would make her so sad that her games were no longer being loved!

Right??

We should play a video game! It is what Shizuka would have wanted!

So what shall we play?

Yoshiki made his way to the TV and started rummaging.

Let's play Unicorn's Revenge! It's her favorite after all!

Yoshiki stopped himself for a moment.

...was her favorite.

And now, it's our favorite!

Yoshiki smiled up at me warmly.

Thank you, Jordan.

Alright, let's do this!

We both sat on the chairs in front of the TV as the TV whirled up and the game's opening theme music filled the room.

Which unicorn do you want to be?

I was presented with a grey or pink unicorn for choice.

I am happy being player two, so I will be the pink one!

Pink is definitely your color.

I know, it really makes my eyes pop.

Yoshiki rolled onto the floor in laughter.

Hahaha, oh bestie, you make me forget how bad things are.

You have the same effect on me, too.

We played rather joyously, forgetting our troubles in the land of unicorns and magic, for about an hour before Yoshiki abruptly left.

I LEFT THE SOLDERING IRON ON!

Huh?! What?!

Yoshiki threw the controller down and ran out of the Rec Room.

Guess that's game over, then?

I could always play with you, Jordan.

I jumped with fright.

Dai, you need to wear like a cat bell or something!

That is an interesting image- give me a moment.

Dai's image flickered.

Is this more to your liking, Jordan?

I... um...

Are you blushing, Jordan?

I avoided eye contact with Dai.

You're cute when you blush.

Thank you I guess and thank you for putting that on now we can hear you coming!

Wait? This wasn't for a fetish?!

Well, no, it w-

Dai flickered back to her usual self- collar free.

I am very disappointed with you, Jordan. I thought we were bonding

Dai, I'm sor-

The damage is done. Dining Hall in 10 minutes for the new game explanation.

I reached my hand out towards her, but she dissipated as she let out a sigh of disappointment.

How does a psychotic murderous A.I. make me feel bad? I quickly gathered myself and my thoughts and made my way to the Dining Hall.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

quote:

quote:

Wait? This wasn't for a fetish?!
[...]
I am very disappointed with you, Jordan. I thought we were bonding.

God, I should not be liking Dai as much as I do, but. :allears:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Dai is extremely terrible, but at least she's not boring

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Her definition of entertainment is definitely interesting times distilled, though - I think I'd rather be mired in the doldrums of ennui than go through this. :geno:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Leraika posted:

Dai is extremely terrible, but at least she's not boring

She's strangely endearing despite being an utterly horrible person.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

I arrived at the Dining Hall, where everyone was already gathered, and I was the last to arrive.

About time, Jordan. Why are you late?

But... I'm not late. You said 10 minutes?

You are the last one here, that makes you late.

I...

Well?

Well?

Apologize to your crew, and to me, for keeping us waiting.

Dai, that is not necessary. Please get on with it.

I am defending your honor!

You defend nothing!

How dare you! I defend and protect more than you could even fathom!

The captain and Dai were starting to get super heated- I decided to break the tension and just apologize.

Crew, I am sorry that I am late, and that I have insulted your honor.

Yoshiki nodded as if this was expected, as Dai turned to face me.

Dai, I am sorry for insulting your honor also.

Thank you. That means a lot to me.

Does it really?!

Dai waved off the captain dismissively.

Cram it, Captain. Can't you see we're bonding?

I smiled meekly at Dai who was still intensely gazing at me.

Alright! Bonding complete. Let's move on.

[BGM: Et Tu, My Friend]
*ahem* Welcome to the next round of the Deletion Game – Vampire Children.

Vampire Children is played over 3 cycles. One person will be chosen at random by me, and be made the vampire! I'll tell this person in secret, and the six other people are humans.

No one will know for sure who is a vampire and who is a human, other than themselves.

During each cycle, you have the choice to either mate with another person or not- it's not compulsory, but definitely advisable! However, you can't mate with the same person twice, even during different cycles. Where's the fun in that, right!?

Every time two humans mate, two children are born. When one human and one vampire mate no children are born, but that human becomes a vampire for life and, for points' sake, also a vampire child! If two vampires mate, nothing happens except a good time.

Only the original vampire will know that they're a vampire. Humans who unknowingly mate with a vampire won't know until the end of the game.

After each cycle I will announce the total count: human babies produced and new vampires created.

After three cycles, the human and vampire children counts will be tallied. If there are more vampire children than humans, the human that created the fewest human babies will be executed. If more human babies exist, the starting vampire will be executed!

Now, one versus six can seem lonely, so here is my offer to the soon to be vamjpire...

The vampire can choose a Bonnie to their Clyde. This person will knowingly and willingly become a vampire in the first round, and will win and lose alongside the vampire. If the vampire wins, so do they, and so they are spared from death. But if the vampire loses, so does that person, and we have a double execution!

Be careful though- your Bonnie and Clyde dreams may be short-lived and your partner might out you as the vampire. So, tell others at your own risk! I will notify you of your human or vampire status some time before the Game begins on Sunday morning.

Ahh, this is my favorite game to date! Any questions? Need me to repeat?

Nah, we got it.

Excellent!

Dai suddenly zapped out of the room, and the broadcast opened overhead, where we could all hear Dai using her best customer service voice.

We understand that you have a choice in Deletion Game carrier, and want to thank you all so much for choosing the Dai Deletion Game service. We murder for your satisfaction, and we look forward to servicing you again this Sunday.

[BGM: With Fear: Hope]

I suddenly felt a finger poking me in the cheek.

Jordan, wake up!

I stirred before opening my eyes to see Yoshiki standing above me.

Yoshiki? Again? What is it now?

Oh, yeah... hahaha, sorry bestie, but this time it isn't me.

Who else is poking me in the face?

Hahaha, no, I mean the captain has sent me!

What?! Why? What time is it?

It is currently 4:37 a.m., and she wants you on the Bridge, asap!

Argh! Isn't this something you could handle?

I tried! But she told me the only way I was going to be useful was if I was to get you... soooo...

Fine, fine. Give me a second.

Yoshiki waited outside my quarters as I made myself presentable, and then met him in the hallway. Yoshiki was chipper as usual. How is he this happy at 4 a.m. in the morning?

These might seem like two different conversations, and they teeeeechnically are (in that the actual conversation is written differently for each option), but it's actually pretty much just a flavor choice since you end up getting an answer for both questions no matter which one you pick, there's no real reason to see both halves. Therefore, we'll be going with the top option here.

Yoshiki, why are you awake? It's like 4 a.m., why aren't you asleep??

Oh that, hahahaha. I was asleep like half an hour ago.

What changed?

Hahaha, Ai changed!

Why did Ai wake you up?

She woke me up because the captain had summoned me.

What did she want?

If I know the captain, and I do... she is just concerned and is looking for support.

Why weren't you enough support?

I think she just wants someone a little... smarter?

Yoshiki, you are smart!

Bestie, you don't have to lie to me.

You are smart! You're a mechanical engineer!

I might be a horrible engineer! You have nothing to compare me to.

We entered the Bridge mid conversation.

Hahahaha, bet I am the best you have ever met!

That's not the point! Don't be so hard on yourself.

Jordan is right. You are too hard on yourself, Yoshiki.

You don't even know what we're talking about!

I do not need to know to know Jordan is right.

The captain smirked at Yoshiki.

Yoshiki, thank you for bringing Jordan to me. You are dismissed.

Aye aye, Captain! Back to bed for me!

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Okay, Dai better use the only posible music you can use for that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Feels kind of weird/arbitrary and frankly out of character for the captain to wake up Yoshiki just to go get Jordan, kind of an odd writing move?