Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The Mi-24s are exuding some major "HOW'S IT FEEL, BITCH?" vibes and I'm enjoying them.

https://twitter.com/War_Mapper/status/1509894928364711949

Unless this person is using a different color-coding system to show the situation, holy crap, Kyiv suddenly has some room to breathe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Uncle Enzo posted:

That's the point of training, to have some experience when push comes to shove.

If anything you'd take more risks during an actual war, since they really will shoot at you if you go high enough to get a lock, and you're trying to hit an objective with value, not just pretend.

But you're still right to be kind of amazed. A deep penetration cross-border treetop twilight attack helicopter raid on enemy infrastructure? That's not capability and balls that the Ukrainians were expected to have. That kind of flying has only ever really been expected of the US or its closest allies.

That kind of raid is insanely difficult to pull off and the fact that it looks like it was successful and both choppers made it back is crazy. This is seriously impressive. That's big-leagues training, mission planning, equipment and execution.

The Imp of Nipples posted:

I would think the time they'd use it the most would be during a war. I'm not that up to date on radar but I think nap of the earth still a valid way of staying undetected.

I mean keep in mind this is coming from me, a guy who was in Afghanistan from 2013-2014 when the risk posture was so conservative that I'm pretty sure the DoD had more deaths from training than combat despite us still having a fairly sizeable force in country. Construction mission on the road just outside of the FOB? Better get signoff from the brigade commander and have an AWT assigned or you're not rolling out the gate. But then again at that point it was less of a war and more of a gigantic black hole of money and lives just waiting for the Taliban to take back over.

psydude fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 1, 2022

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

100% though that this is Russia pulling troops back to try to stab south in the eastern part of Ukraine and isolate and cut off Ukraine's best units in the East, in order to force the units to surrender.

Those units are heavily entrenched towards the Donbass and Luhansk regions, which is an amazing defensive position, but that also means that they can't really move or retreat. Circle them up with the 50k Russians who used to be around Kyiv and you've neutralized a major part of the Ukrainian army's fighting power.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
That’d require way more mobility than the Russians have demonstrated so far.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

orange juche posted:

100% though that this is Russia pulling troops back to try to stab south in the eastern part of Ukraine and isolate and cut off Ukraine's best units in the East, in order to force the units to surrender.

Those units are heavily entrenched towards the Donbass and Luhansk regions, which is an amazing defensive position, but that also means that they can't really move or retreat. Circle them up with the 50k Russians who used to be around Kyiv and you've neutralized a major part of the Ukrainian army's fighting power.

No doubt, but this is also the scenario that everyone thought was going to happen until Putin decided to go for the whole shebang. I'm sure the Ukrainians have planned for this specifically, albeit with 40k more Russian troops and 500 more tanks.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

That’d require way more mobility than the Russians have demonstrated so far.

In the East and South it's pretty flat and not very muddy, very unlike around Kyiv. Remember that Russia has done pretty well at holding ground in the south, if they add 50k troops to the mix and can cut the roads supporting the Ukrainian forces out there, then they can really put them in a bad spot, since Ukraine will not have the resources to break out their units that might get caught in an encirclement like that, it's kind of one of the worst nightmare scenarios for Ukrainian general staff I think.

I don't know how you would defend against an encirclement like that other than pull back your line to where they can't encircle you.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 1, 2022

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Izyum has fallen and the Ukrainians decidedly tried to fight that move and the wet gap crossings. Russia isn’t going to try to rush the east in a week. They tried the quick shortcut to victory in Kyiv and got hosed up on that attempt. They have more time to try to encircle the Ukrainian regular forces out east now that the super quick victory is demonstrably beyond their reach.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

orange juche posted:

In the East and South it's pretty flat and not very muddy, very unlike around Kyiv. Remember that Russia has done pretty well at holding ground in the south, if they add 50k troops to the mix and can cut the roads supporting the Ukrainian forces out there, then they can really put them in a bad spot, since Ukraine will not have the resources to break out their units that might get caught in an encirclement like that, it's kind of one of the worst nightmare scenarios for Ukrainian general staff I think, and one that hadn't come to pass yet.

The Sumy corridor is the same, though, and they ran into major logistics issues there. I think you're right that the terrain is more maneuverable, but that's only going to really favor tracked vehicles and it seems like the mud was less of an issue than just running out of parts and gas due to lovely supply trains.

e: Their forces taking Mauripol have also been hosed up, so they'll need time to reconstitute and go back on the offense, which will give the Ukrainians more time to reinforce those positions.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

psydude posted:

The Sumy corridor is the same, though, and they ran into major logistics issues there. I think you're right that the terrain is more maneuverable, but that's only going to really favor tracked vehicles and it seems like the mud was less of an issue than just running out of parts and gas due to lovely supply trains.

e: Their forces taking Mauripol have also been hosed up, so they'll need time to reconstitute and go back on the offense, which will give the Ukrainians more time to reinforce those positions.

I wonder if that strike against the oil depots are part of a plan to reduce operational capacity in the east? No fuel for the tanks to press westwards in better locations for the Russians.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

What I'm more worried about is US and allies deciding that Russia is wholly incompetent and deciding that they don't have to take them as seriously as a threat, and then the Russians prove them wrong.

Russia is tripping over it's own dick, but give them enough time and they will figure out how to unfuck their war machine.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

orange juche posted:

In the East and South it's pretty flat and not very muddy, very unlike around Kyiv. Remember that Russia has done pretty well at holding ground in the south, if they add 50k troops to the mix and can cut the roads supporting the Ukrainian forces out there, then they can really put them in a bad spot, since Ukraine will not have the resources to break out their units that might get caught in an encirclement like that, it's kind of one of the worst nightmare scenarios for Ukrainian general staff I think.

I don't know how you would defend against an encirclement like that other than pull back your line to where they can't encircle you.

Mind you, I'm under the impression from DoD reports that the units around Kyiv are pulling back for refit because they're pretty exhausted and beat up? They might eventually head out to the East but it'll take some time to recover and prepare, and presumably the Ukrainians will get the same kind of breathing room (and with US satellite intelligence, will know the moment the refitting troops make their move and be ready to shift their own forces in response with faster-moving interior lines).

I also wonder a little to what degree "more troops" is helpful, given Russian logistical difficulties. It's possible that the Russian logistical network in the east hasn't been fully saturated yet and can still accommodate that many more troops, but there might also be a limit to how many more troops they can throw into the mix before they start creating more problems than they solve. That's pure speculation, though, I don't know enough about logistics to meaningfully guess what their capacity is out there.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Cimber posted:

I wonder if that strike against the oil depots are part of a plan to reduce operational capacity in the east? No fuel for the tanks to press westwards in better locations for the Russians.

Maybe, but also will force Russia to take more anti-air forces and have them sit idle around oil depots rather than do something useful closer to the front.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Maybe, but also will force Russia to take more anti-air forces and have them sit idle around oil depots rather than do something useful closer to the front.

I would not be surprised if they move AA assets from the far east and redeploy them. Its not like NK or China is going to invade any time soon.

December 1941 vibes increasing.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

orange juche posted:

What I'm more worried about is US and allies deciding that Russia is wholly incompetent and deciding that they don't have to take them as seriously as a threat, and then the Russians prove them wrong.

Russia is tripping over it's own dick, but give them enough time and they will figure out how to unfuck their war machine.

I hope Russia reverting to Aleppo tactics will disabuse everyone of the notion that they still can't manage to gently caress everything up while losing spectacularly.

psydude fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 1, 2022

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Is there any question that absent nukes (so fantasy world) the US/NATO could absolutely loving curb stomp the 2022 Russian army? And probably also the 2012 one and the 2032 one?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I'm surprised they haven't started lobbing chemical poo poo. I really thought that was going to happen sooner.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

bird food bathtub posted:

I'm surprised they haven't started lobbing chemical poo poo. I really thought that was going to happen sooner.

Chemical weapons don't actually have much use against modern mobile forces. Too difficult to deploy and less lethal than a similar quantity of explosives. They're oy really useful as terror weapons.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
And they make more sense in a defense where you aren’t necessarily killing the enemy with the chem but slowing tempo, canalizing, or turning them.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

orange juche posted:

No, that's actually the right takeaway. The US should use the Ukraine war as justification to cut its defense budget in half, but of course the Very Serious People are just going to use the situation to siphon more money into the military and their contractors.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Lol. The defense budget just went up what, 10%? Russia playing gently caress-gently caress games is just going to keep it high. Someone has to pay for the javelins.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Lol. The defense budget just went up what, 10%? Russia playing gently caress-gently caress games is just going to keep it high. Someone has to pay for the javelins.

That would be me and why my kids can't have free school lunches.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Cimber posted:

Here in Germany they increased the defense budget AND they're trying to give everyone (almost) free transit passes for 3 months.

psydude fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 1, 2022

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Cimber posted:

I have bad news if you think congress would choose to provide more social services if they ever did cut the defense budget

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

lightpole posted:

My dad flew helicopters in Vietnam and then spent his remaining time as a flight instructor in the bay, flying around CA. He said he would fly under the bridges all the time until he hit a cable. Plenty of training flying into the mountains and going camping and when he was dating my mom he would hover over her house in her back yard. For instrument training he always used the cloud cover around Crissy field, above 100' or so its just a soup you either switch to instruments immediately or try to auger it.

His story for the most scared he's ever been was when they were flying into an LZ with someone popping shots at them so the flight lead told him to pop up and circle until he got shot at and they could locate the guy.

You should read "Chickenhawk" if you haven't already.

One of the craziest things I ever saw in the military was an Apache playing chicken with a dude carrying an RPG on a hillside. The Apache saw him and knew there were Taliban firing at friendlies from that hill but he couldn't engage until all the ROE conditions were met. So he just hovered in front of the hill and waited until eventually the RPG dude decided to take his shot. It was really, really close, like my heart rate is going up just thinking about it.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004
This seems like a great idea:

https://twitter.com/ua_industrial/status/1509836235115749384

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

:stare:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

https://youtu.be/OyBNmecVtdU

The only thing we are good at as a country is funneling money to MIC

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

That soldier has their hands in their pockets!!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Lake of Methane posted:

It's as if a thousand NCOs screamed at once and were suddenly silenced.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

orange juche posted:

Overestimating Russian power is what led to people suggesting that anyone Putin glances at should capitulate instantly and give him whatever he wants. That approach very much worked in their favor until now.

I think many countries will begin to treat them as a regional agitator more than a terrifying superpower and I think that’s probably appropriate. Especially as countries like a Germany sever the last of their ill-advised dependencies on Russian fuel.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 1, 2022

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Somebody finally punched Pooty in the nose and he pretty much fell over.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

Somebody finally punched Pooty in the nose and he pretty much fell over.

I'd very much like to be wrong, but I don't think we're anywhere near the end of this.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Lake of Methane posted:

Thankfully, none of them are wearing white socks.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/olliecarroll/status/1509892703856779270

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Very "GOD, I hate you for making me do yard work!!!!!1!" vibes here

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Tiny Timbs posted:

Overestimating Russian power is what led to people suggesting that anyone Putin glances at should capitulate instantly and give him whatever he wants. That approach very much worked in their favor until now.

I think many countries will begin to treat them as a regional agitator more than a terrifying superpower and I think that’s probably appropriate. Especially as countries like a Germany sever the last of their ill-advised dependencies on Russian fuel.

Has been fascinating to learn more about German politics, like how their military is ridiculously weak and outdated in proportion to their economy/population/global location. I know the reasons for that but it was interesting how a few months ago if Russia made a beeline for Paris, German defense contributions would be dwarfed by Poland and probably a lot more smaller economies. Apparently during recent pre-Ukraine War exercises the German troops kept lagging behind as their decades old radios were junk.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1509935827153035272

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Has been fascinating to learn more about German politics, like how their military is ridiculously weak and outdated in proportion to their economy/population/global location. I know the reasons for that but it was interesting how a few months ago if Russia made a beeline for Paris, German defense contributions would be dwarfed by Poland and probably a lot more smaller economies. Apparently during recent pre-Ukraine War exercises the German troops kept lagging behind as their decades old radios were junk.

My experiences with the Bundeswehr back around 2007 left me with the impression that they were capable and well-equipped but they weren't allowed to actually do anything to the point where they couldn't properly defend themselves. And then once they finally decided to be more aggressive, this happened.

vv I was hooked just reading the preview chapters online. The author isn't the most wonderful human being (he wrote parts of the book while in prison for smuggling drugs) but it's an entertaining read and brutally honest.

bees everywhere fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 1, 2022

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

bees everywhere posted:

You should read "Chickenhawk" if you haven't already.

One of the craziest things I ever saw in the military was an Apache playing chicken with a dude carrying an RPG on a hillside. The Apache saw him and knew there were Taliban firing at friendlies from that hill but he couldn't engage until all the ROE conditions were met. So he just hovered in front of the hill and waited until eventually the RPG dude decided to take his shot. It was really, really close, like my heart rate is going up just thinking about it.

Yay! Somebody else has read it. :)

Definitely a good view of the Vietnam experience from a chopper pilots perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

A projectile reusable up to 8 times, and even comes back the very next day.

Truly, a weapon to surpass Metal Gear.