Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Orthanc6 posted:

A projectile reusable up to 8 times, and even comes back the very next day.

Truly, a weapon to surpass Metal Gear.

I would consider a pissed-off cat inside the cramped quarters of a MBT to be a very definite ending to combat effectiveness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

orange juche posted:

In the East and South it's pretty flat and not very muddy, very unlike around Kyiv. Remember that Russia has done pretty well at holding ground in the south, if they add 50k troops to the mix and can cut the roads supporting the Ukrainian forces out there, then they can really put them in a bad spot, since Ukraine will not have the resources to break out their units that might get caught in an encirclement like that, it's kind of one of the worst nightmare scenarios for Ukrainian general staff I think.

I don't know how you would defend against an encirclement like that other than pull back your line to where they can't encircle you.

Nobody seems to have kept count of losses by theatre, but given the number of dead and abandoned vehicles sporting a Z (i.e southern theatre markings), it's a stretch to say Russia is doing well in the south. They seem to be having massive problems delivering stuff to the front and I'm sceptical whether they can actually supply the eastern encirclement pundits have been predicting for over a month now.

The Russian performance is even more mind-boggling when you realize that Mariupol is a three-hour drive from Rostov-on-Don, the HQ of the southern military district. Russia has a lot of bases and depots in the region, yet the Russian army still hasn't completely captured a city that is practically on their doorstep.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Nobody seems to have kept count of losses by theatre, but given the number of dead and abandoned vehicles sporting a Z (i.e southern theatre markings), it's a stretch to say Russia is doing well in the south. They seem to be having massive problems delivering stuff to the front and I'm sceptical whether they can actually supply the eastern encirclement pundits have been predicting for over a month now.

The Russian performance is even more mind-boggling when you realize that Mariupol is a three-hour drive from Rostov-on-Don, the HQ of the southern military district. Russia has a lot of bases and depots in the region, yet the Russian army still hasn't completely captured a city that is practically on their doorstep.

Not to mention, a city with a pre-war population of 400,000. Kyiv was what, 3.5 million? And Kharkiv was 2+.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

IPCRESS posted:

And I think the UK holds the record for lowest altitude attained with an F-35B, but that's out of scope.

Didn't the US Navy get the lowest F-35 altitude a couple months ago?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Grand Fromage posted:

Didn't the US Navy get the lowest F-35 altitude a couple months ago?

It was a tie

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

That Works posted:

It was a tie

Not many groups get to claim negative altitude, although it was eventually returned to zero.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

You can only ever tie the record for lowest flight AGL :dadjoke:

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Icon Of Sin posted:

You can only ever tie the record for lowest flight AGL :dadjoke:

what about ASL? Negative ASL is possible ya know.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I have to imagine there was a nickname contest in that wardroom for the pilot.

I’m partial to Bubbles, but Das Boot has a ring to it

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

GD_American posted:

I have to imagine there was a nickname contest in that wardroom for the pilot.

I’m partial to Bubbles, but Das Boot has a ring to it

Aquaman, Nemo, Brick.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
The Mighty Sploosh.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Yellow are yesterday's (claimed) operations, blue are today's.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Did we cover Zelensky shitcanning two generals today?

quote:

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky stripped two generals of their rank for what he said was their failure to live up to their oath of allegiance.

“I do not have time to deal with all the traitors. But gradually they will all be punished,” Mr. Zelensky said in an overnight address.

A southern-region security chief lost his general’s rank, Mr. Zelensky said. Serhiy Kryvoruchko had led Ukraine’s security service office in the Kherson region, where Russia seized the capital earlier in the war with little military opposition.

Mr. Zelensky also stripped the rank from Brig. Gen. Andriy Naumov, the former head of internal security at the Security Service of Ukraine, who is believed to have fled the country shortly before the war began.

Mr. Zelensky, in the address, cheered battlefield successes as Ukraine’s military retakes ground from retreating Russian forces. But he also urged caution.

“We know that they are moving away from the areas where we are beating them to focus on others that are very important. On those where it can be difficult for us,” he said.
https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/russia-ukraine-latest-news-2022-04-01/card/president-zelensky-fires-two-generals-cASwBg7pfy4FKlh2f25t

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

bees everywhere posted:

You should read "Chickenhawk" if you haven't already.

One of the craziest things I ever saw in the military was an Apache playing chicken with a dude carrying an RPG on a hillside. The Apache saw him and knew there were Taliban firing at friendlies from that hill but he couldn't engage until all the ROE conditions were met. So he just hovered in front of the hill and waited until eventually the RPG dude decided to take his shot. It was really, really close, like my heart rate is going up just thinking about it.

Chickenhawk isn’t by the guy who flew with his dad in Vietnam is it? I remember reading a memoir by a pilot who flew casevac in vietnam but I can’t remember which book it was

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Cimber posted:

Yellow are yesterday's (claimed) operations, blue are today's.

Loving the two blue pincers coming together north of Kyiv.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Murgos posted:

Stronk Russian Daddy Vova Putin is going to pull a double secret pincer move on those pincers any minute now.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Arcella posted:

Chickenhawk isn’t by the guy who flew with his dad in Vietnam is it? I remember reading a memoir by a pilot who flew casevac in vietnam but I can’t remember which book it was

I don't remember anything about his dad so that's probably a different book. Chickenhawk was by an Air Cav slick pilot so he was like a taxi for air assault troops, he was flying one of the transport Hueys at that battle in the Mel Gibson movie.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Murgos posted:

They aren't going to connect, that's all swamp. The blob in the middle there is already in trouble, just one pontoon bridge to supply them since Ivankiv was recaptured.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Any thoughts on what the equipment might be that’s being described (excluding obvious stuff).

https://twitter.com/paulmcleary/status/1510048726940803075?s=21&t=QVFOLirR4oKwBVXrEdZh8w

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

wins32767 posted:

They aren't going to connect, that's all swamp. The blob in the middle there is already in trouble, just one pontoon bridge to supply them since Ivankiv was recaptured.

Just to be clear, the blob in the middle probably doesn't contain any organized Russians. They all left last night. Only some stragglers left.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Any thoughts on what the equipment might be that’s being described (excluding obvious stuff).

https://twitter.com/paulmcleary/status/1510048726940803075?s=21&t=QVFOLirR4oKwBVXrEdZh8w

Well nonstandard machine guns could be stuff chambered in Warsaw pact calibers, or it could be things like automatic grenade launchers, or all of the above. Most of the stuff seems like force multiplier gear that will give Ukrainian squads operational advantages over their poorly equipped Russian counterparts, like the night vision gear and enhanced recon drones.

I'm a little surprised that C&C gear wasn't mentioned. Nevermind, there it is.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 2, 2022

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

wins32767 posted:

Didn’t know that it was swamp but uh, if true, that’s still a pocket. Whatever Russian forces are still in that shaded area are in for a rough time.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 2, 2022

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

wins32767 posted:

i would be very surprised if there is many troops in there at all. Its probably going to be abandoned and disabled equipment, plus a rearguard of expendable conscripts.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Enjoy the KelTec Sub2000 Ukraine!

https://www.fox35orlando.com/news/russia-ukraine-war-florida-gunmaker-donates-200k-in-weapons-to-ukraine

That said it’s still a cool thing to do and anything helps…insert KelTec joke.

That said US civilians in WWII donated tons of privately owned guns (Think it was done via the NRA) for UK invasion defense. In the end the UK didn’t need them for territorial defense units and not wanting to keep that many guns around for people living in England they dumped it in the sea after the war iirc.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Who the hell needs a pistol caliber carbine in the Ukraine? Is their a lack of AKMS left over from the late 80's?

lol, the Ukraine MoD even has a list of what they need.

quote:

The National Shooting Sports Foundation, the trade group for the American firearms industry, has posted a guide for partners looking to assist Ukraine. According to NSSF, Ukraine is requesting assistance from the U.S. firearm and ammunition industry in the form of donations of the following rifles, pistols, and ammunition:

7.62х39 mm
7.62x51 mm
7.62x54 mm
.308 WIN
5.45х39 mm
5.56х45 mm
Sniper rifles chambered in .308 WIN or 7.62х51 mm and ammunition (including bipod and scope)
If donating a non-.308 “sniper type” rifle, e.g., .338 Lapua or similar, Ukraine requests that manufacturers provide ammunition with the rifle.
Pistols and ammunition chambered in 9х19 mm
Extra magazines
Spare parts

Wonder if they have a bigger need for 7.62X39 or 5.45x39.

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 2, 2022

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

wins32767 posted:

"Attack through swamps, they wont expect it" is the "lure them into ____ and then set ______ on fire" of Eastern Europe.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Enjoy the KelTec Sub2000 Ukraine!

https://www.fox35orlando.com/news/russia-ukraine-war-florida-gunmaker-donates-200k-in-weapons-to-ukraine

That said it’s still a cool thing to do and anything helps…insert KelTec joke.

That said US civilians in WWII donated tons of privately owned guns (Think it was done via the NRA) for UK invasion defense. In the end the UK didn’t need them for territorial defense units and not wanting to keep that many guns around for people living in England they dumped it in the sea after the war iirc.

I have a 9mm sub2k and lol

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Just Another Lurker posted:

Perun just did a one hour vid on reservists and irregulars in Ukraine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3fZQmMZ4kY if anyone is interested.

This is from a few pages back, but watching a dominions youtuber with no credentials whatsoever turn into a popular war commentator has been one hell of a thing.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Didn't see this posted yet. The US is going to facilitate the transfer of tanks and artillery from ex Warsaw pact countries to Ukraine.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/01/us/politics/us-tanks-ukraine.html?smtyp=cur&smid=tw-nytimes

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

piL posted:

"Attack through swamps, they wont expect it" is the "lure them into ____ and then set ______ on fire" of Eastern Europe.

Francis Marion had his day already, but it’s been almost 250 years.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
send Ukraine the Keltec p50

so they have something cool to give to the MP to load their one box of 5.7 with

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
ive never seen that particular cannon before and i would like to know more.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Dance Officer posted:

This is from a few pages back, but watching a dominions youtuber with no credentials whatsoever turn into a popular war commentator has been one hell of a thing.

Yeah, no joke. I usually disregard youtube armchair generals entirely, but I went back and watched his first video on the war, and it's pretty clear that this sort of thing is his day job, while his video game stuff was just a hobby.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

sneakyfrog posted:

ive never seen that particular cannon before and i would like to know more.

It's basically peak Keltec. It's a pistol that shares magazines with the FN P90. I want to see a video of someone running one at a 3 gun comp.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

davecrazy posted:

Who the hell needs a pistol caliber carbine in the Ukraine? Is their a lack of AKMS left over from the late 80's?

lol, the Ukraine MoD even has a list of what they need.

Wonder if they have a bigger need for 7.62X39 or 5.45x39.

I have a feeling that if you showed up with 10 million rounds of either they'd be very happy to accept.

Shooting Blanks posted:

It's basically peak Keltec. It's a pistol that shares magazines with the FN P90. I want to see a video of someone running one at a 3 gun comp.

It looks like it has a fairly long barrel for a pistol, which is pretty important for that caliber.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Apr 2, 2022

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
yes

because when you deplete your mag you can strangle them with it

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
How does it accomplish that ninety degree turn for the round and how does that not make it a jam-fest?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Probably exactly the same way the P90 does it.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I'd like to point out that the envisioned usage case for the p90 was to equip security forces to be able to defend against spetznatz and VDV dropping behind NATO lines to destroy and/or seize things like oil depots and airports.

The collapse of the Soviet Union made that scenario seem unlikely. Here we are in 2022 and every year is worse than the one before it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

A.o.D. posted:

I'd like to point out that the envisioned usage case for the p90 was to equip security forces to be able to defend against spetznatz and VDV dropping behind NATO lines to destroy and/or seize things like oil depots and airports.

The collapse of the Soviet Union made that scenario seem unlikely. Here we are in 2022 and every year is worse than the one before it.

It ended up being the standard issue firearm for front deployed SG teams, who found it a more capable and accurate weapon than those fielded by their opponents.