Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Breetai posted:

Men, on the other hand, are proficient at speed running sexual encounters (50% completion).

I've heard 50%+ is much easier when it's tool-assisted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Almost everyone we know is a Harry Potter fan and I'm still finding out weird poo poo.

Harry Potter fans don't bring this stuff up because they don't see any problem with it. They read about all the banks being run by hook-nosed subhuman goblins and think "Wow, J.K. is a genius! Better base my whole life around this!" and then go preorder the new Hogwarts game about killing all those perfidious "goblins"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Not gonna lie I do like how "Rowling isn't involved" is a marketing point for the new Hogwarts game

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Breetai posted:

Men, on the other hand, are proficient at speed running sexual encounters (50% completion).

50% seems high

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Len posted:

Not gonna lie I do like how "Rowling isn't involved" is a marketing point for the new Hogwarts game

See what I mean?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Jedit posted:

Which is itself bad enough, as she famously wrote the first book in a cheap coffee shop while on welfare struggling to feed her kids. So she's actually a freed slave arguing that slavery is fine and that no other slaves need to be free.

Also she's a loving TERF.

She's a ladder pulling TERF and can be safely thrown into the sun

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Crowetron posted:

Harry Potter fans don't bring this stuff up because they don't see any problem with it. They read about all the banks being run by hook-nosed subhuman goblins and think "Wow, J.K. is a genius! Better base my whole life around this!" and then go preorder the new Hogwarts game about killing all those perfidious "goblins"

A lot of people just don't think critically of fantasy stories so the goblins running all the banks and having hooked noses is just how they are.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

A lot of people just don't think critically

I mean let's be real here. It's not isolated to fantasy or YA.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Wait, that's where Dolores Umbridge comes from? I've occasionally heard people respond with that name when someone uses the word umbrage. I thought it was something from Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.

Almost everyone we know is a Harry Potter fan and I'm still finding out weird poo poo.

Rowling has a very consistent approach to naming conventions for good or ill.

Like the werewolf guy is called remus lupin, it's not a subtle series. So yes she called the bad character miserable (dolorous) annoyance (umbrage)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

yall are in coprophagia house lmao :thurman:

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Improbable Lobster posted:

She's a ladder pulling TERF and can be safely thrown into the sun

I think she’s just transphobic, her credentials as a feminist could hardly be classified as radical.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Crowetron posted:

See what I mean?

I'm not going to buy it

But I will check it out of my local library when they get a copy

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Len posted:

I'm not going to buy it

But I will check it out of my local library when they get a copy

Well, I'm glad you're determined to get your antisemitism in the most ethical way you can.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I've only seen the first and parts 1 and 2 of the last Harry Potter movie, so all the stuff having to do with house elves being enslaved and Hermione's attempts to uh, liberate them, I missed. But someone told me all that stuff about slavery is just omitted in the movies. Is that the case, or did they uh... just wash over it real awkwardly? Because I was thinking about revisiting the movies just because I wanted to see how well this extremely awkward sideplot would be handled in a whimsical film.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

credburn posted:

I've only seen the first and parts 1 and 2 of the last Harry Potter movie, so all the stuff having to do with house elves being enslaved and Hermione's attempts to uh, liberate them, I missed. But someone told me all that stuff about slavery is just omitted in the movies. Is that the case, or did they uh... just wash over it real awkwardly? Because I was thinking about revisiting the movies just because I wanted to see how well this extremely awkward sideplot would be handled in a whimsical film.

the house elf poo poo is so gross they were going to omit Dobby entirely from the films but Rowling was like “no he’s gonna be important in the finale”

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
in the movie only two house elves are depicted one is evil and the other is freed via caper (they give him a cum sock tucked into a book, this act frees the elf)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The latter half of the movies become nearly incomprehensible if you haven't read the books with how much they try to cram into 120 minutes, and still also change a lot.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

in the movie only two house elves are depicted one is evil and the other is freed via caper (they give him a cum sock tucked into a book, this act frees the elf)

wait the cum sock is in the book irl?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
IIRC the other named house elf is the old one named Kreacher, and just like the author, the fucker who owns Kreacher treats him like utter poo poo, while telling Harry Potter to treat everyone well because otherwise you ain't a good person.

And because the rear end in a top hat treats his house elf like poo poo, he accidentally frees him, which means rear end in a top hat house elf is able to leave and tell the bad guys all the poo poo he's overheard.

The really dumb, and this is the peak of max dumb, is that JK Rowling shat her own bed with the TERF poo poo. She wrote a loving series of poo poo books that made her millions if not billions, and in the books you can change genders and size and shape and species but somehow being transgender just doesn't exist to her.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

it's been over a decade since i read it and i was pretty out of my mind on post-surgery meds at the time but i swear the last book implies dumbledore's brother or cousin or uncle or something got freaky with a goat

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Rockman Reserve posted:

it's been over a decade since i read it and i was pretty out of my mind on post-surgery meds at the time but i swear the last book implies dumbledore's brother or cousin or uncle or something got freaky with a goat

I haven't seen the new movies but am pretty sure there's some indication that some magical people can turn into animals, and then get stuck that way, like Voldemort's loving snake.

I mean, the Potter universe is pretty horrifying if you look at with a cell of a brain, but adding in that any animal you see might be a person who can't change back, and drat. Why is being a wizard so great again? Is it because they didn't get loving toilets until like a decade ago, so they just poo poo where they stood and magicked it away?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

whatever

in s3 of true detective, theres a scene where stephen dorff goes to pick up scoot mcnairy at a bar, and its filmed like he got hosed up by these huge dudes, except everyone is 1.75 at best

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Cowslips Warren posted:

I haven't seen the new movies but am pretty sure there's some indication that some magical people can turn into animals, and then get stuck that way, like Voldemort's loving snake.

the unsubtly-implied-to-be-trans character is permanently turned into a bug and hermione keeps her in a jar

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
also every wizard who can turn into an animal 1. must be registered with the government and 2. has a "tell" in their animal form

:thunk:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Carthag Tuek posted:

in s3 of true detective, theres a scene where stephen dorff goes to pick up scoot mcnairy at a bar, and its filmed like he got hosed up by these huge dudes, except everyone is 1.75 at best
... In meters?

I've met some 5'9"s and under that I'd never ever tussle with

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

moonmazed posted:

the unsubtly-implied-to-be-trans character is permanently turned into a bug and hermione keeps her in a jar

It's been almost a decade since I read the books but I don't remember Ritas getting that much characterization. Can you elaborate?

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Len posted:

It's been almost a decade since I read the books but I don't remember Ritas getting that much characterization. Can you elaborate?

Harry Potter wiki posted:

Rita Skeeter was described as having blonde hair set in elaborate curls that contrasted oddly with her heavy-jawed face. She wore jewelled spectacles studded with rhinestones, and had thick fingers ending in two-inch nails, painted crimson.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cowslips Warren posted:

The really dumb, and this is the peak of max dumb, is that JK Rowling shat her own bed with the TERF poo poo. She wrote a loving series of poo poo books that made her millions if not billions, and in the books you can change genders and size and shape and species but somehow being transgender just doesn't exist to her.

No, she's an essentialist. When Hermione is transformed into Harry in the last book, Rowling still gives her female pronouns. From your POV that is correct because Hermione is female, but from the transphobic POV Rowling is saying "Even if you could perfectly change your body into another gender, you're still what you were born as".

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

moonmazed posted:

also every wizard who can turn into an animal 1. must be registered with the government and 2. has a "tell" in their animal form

:thunk:

also lol that like maybe 1 animagi is actually registered

Also it's canon that the british wizards were terrified by african wizards actually turning into cool poo poo like elephants and lions instead of cats and dogs and whatever the gently caress

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

should have been more concerned about Canadian wizards turning into møøse or pølar bears tbh

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

FFT posted:

should have been more concerned about Canadian wizards turning into møøse or pølar bears tbh

Canadian WereGeese.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Carthag Tuek posted:

whatever

I disliked how poor of a follow up S2 and S3 to s1 were. I would like much more cosmic/ folk horror and less of well, what we got instead.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

FFT posted:

An irrational irritating movie moment, americans that doesn't know how scandinavian letters works but insists of using them anyways.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

tight aspirations posted:

I disliked how poor of a follow up S2 and S3 to s1 were. I would like much more cosmic/ folk horror and less of well, what we got instead.

IMO S2 & S3 are fine on their own, but unfortunately S1 was so otherworldly that they pale in comparison.

If these were done in order of S2, S3, then S1 I think the reception would be a lot higher.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Alhazred posted:

An irrational irritating movie moment, americans that doesn't know how scandinavian letters works but insists of using them anyways.

Not a fan of internationally renowned band Motørhead?

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Alhazred posted:

I mean americans don't know how any other language works, see any time Cyrillic characters get used.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So in Morbius there's a scene early on where he tells his rich friend that if he wants to cure their unspecified disease he'll need to do it in international waters because he's ignoring regulations on human testing. This somehow translates to them doing the experiments on a giant tanker crewed only by Morbius, his doctor girlfriend and a bunch of mercenaries armed with machine guns.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

muscles like this! posted:

So in Morbius there's a scene early on where he tells his rich friend that if he wants to cure their unspecified disease he'll need to do it in international waters because he's ignoring regulations on human testing. This somehow translates to them doing the experiments on a giant tanker crewed only by Morbius, his doctor girlfriend and a bunch of mercenaries armed with machine guns.

I guess you haven't experienced public healthcare before.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It would be amazing for this kind of plot to get called out by another character. "so in researching a cure for your disease you turned yourself into a bat/vampire/monster truck made of pure muscle that's always screaming. THIS is why we don't skip straight to human testing! Make sure it's close to doing what you want it to do FIRST idiot!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

But what if that's what he wanted to do?